Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,466 members, 7,954,826 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:19 AM

Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? (16598 Views)

IPOB To Kumuyi: Don't Hold Crusade In Aba, South-East, Pray In Your Lagos Church / 7 Reasons Why Every Believer Should Speak In Tongues - Kenneth E Hagin / Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by mapet: 11:43am On May 24, 2020
Akharmony:
Edifies the body of christ...

NO. Edifies only self....

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Toluobaeko11: 11:43am On May 24, 2020
Emax911:

I hope u understand, sometimes we pray in tongues without knowing what we r praying for or sometimes it is revealed through d spirit and when it is made manifest u will later get to Know.

you could read about the day of Pentecost, go deep and understand what happened after the disciples spoke in tongues
Oga they spoke in tongues in which people understood, because people came from different lands. Tongues mean languages. Na jargon and rubbish una dey speak now

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Emax911: 11:45am On May 24, 2020
mapet:

Oh! you mean you're just warming up?

That aside, why will you wish someone to Shut up in a debate? Is it for want of cerebral content?

please u r deviating, I don't like that... u said I used insultive word's and u can't quote such words.... I laugh

according to my research

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by sunkieisland(m): 11:47am On May 24, 2020
mapet:

I think it is important that you situate the bolded in the full context of what Paul explained. This part you lifted twists the explanation, so I took the trouble to post from Verses -6-18 below

Just like you quoted

The writer of that verse is a church leader, an apostle and someone people look up to for spiritual leadership.

So his position about speaking in tongues is justified as a person leading others. But the verse 18 also communicates his personal activities on the subject matter.

If you are not a church leader or spiritual leader, I don't think it's a good idea to criticize speaking in tongues personally or in church.

After all, it's a spiritual matter and to what extent can your mind comprehend Spiritual mysteries if you are critical about one spiritual thing like Tongues.

Shalom to you

#TeamKabasch
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Emax911: 11:53am On May 24, 2020
Toluobaeko11:

Oga they spoke in tongues in which people understood, because people came from different lands. Tongues mean languages. Na jargon and rubbish una dey speak now

yes, they spoke in tongues they knew and people still called them drunkards, those were tongues they knew but if u read your Bible very well...u will know that it was an assumption the people because if it was another language, y wasn't it interpreted... please read ur Bible again

"Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven. And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language. And they were amazed and astonished, saying, `Are not all these who are speaking Galileans? And how is it that we hear, each of us in his own native language? Parthians and Medes and Elamites and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya belonging to Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians-we hear them telling in our own tongues the mighty works of God.' And all were amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, `What does this mean?' But others mocking said, `They are filled with new wine' " (vv. 5-13).

they spoke languages and yet people d not understand... what a language
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by redsun(m): 11:56am On May 24, 2020
It is a symptom of melancholy. Obviously you ardently religious people are crazy, but like any other crazy person, you can't see the difference until you cure. Over 90 per cent of Nigerian population could easily fit into a clinically mad situation in a relatively normal society.
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Tokoz50: 12:02pm On May 24, 2020
[s]
post=89902124:

Ok sir!

We have stopped replying same thing all over again about the reasons for our staunch support for our darling daddy and his Vice..( JUST the 2 politicans in our country you will only see us supporting and vouching for)
Going through our old posts may help.

Have a blessed sunday ahead sir!
[/s]
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by mapet: 12:12pm On May 24, 2020
sunkieisland:

Just like you quoted

The writer of that verse is a church leader, an apostle and someone people look up to for spiritual leadership.

So his position about speaking in tongues is justified as a person leading others. But the verse 18 also communicates his personal activities on the subject matter.

If you are not a church leader or spiritual leader, I don't think it's a good idea to criticize speaking in tongues personally or in church.

After all, it's a spiritual matter and to what extent can your mind comprehend Spiritual mysteries if you are critical about one spiritual thing like Tongues.

Shalom to you

#TeamKabasch

I find your submission here somewhat weird!

1. From Verses 6-12 Paul absolutely clarified the usefulness or otherwise of speaking in tongue to a large assembly as against in person. Verse 12 spoke to their eagerness for the gifts of the spirit and Paul's encouragement and guidance for them to focus on those that build up the church.
2. You came out as presenting a difference between speaking and praying in tongues and that one is of greater value, using verse 14 to strengthen the argument that the mind disconnects. This I find wrong and twist as verse 14 is a continuation from 12 up to 17. Paul clarified that speaking in tongues profit the assembly little and is of no value if there is none to interpret
3. @the bolded and underlined, I find it ridiculous. Paul was not speaking in isolation in verse 18 and his personal activities was used to buttress his point on what should be personal and what should be used in the general assembly. Despite affirming speaking in tongues as a gift of the spirit, and his having of the gift more than any of the people in the congregation, yet in verse 19 he asserts that it is of no value to the church as they are unintelligible and thus meaningless to them.
4. What do you mean if you are not a church leader or spiritual leader? I am not so what? I cannot read and interpret my bible? It makes me less of the person in the spirit or I do not have the Holy Spirit in me? These sounds like an indoctrination statement where some "leaders" brainwash people to think they have the exclusive preserve of the understanding of the scriptures. What is important is What does the scripture say?
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by mapet: 12:16pm On May 24, 2020
Emax911:

please u r deviating, I don't like that... u said I used insultive word's and u can't quote such words.... I laugh

according to my research

O se! Researcher aye!!

https://www.google.com/search?q=shut+up+means&oq=shut+up+means&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l7.5571j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Is it rude to say shut up?
The phrase is probably a shortened form of "shut up your mouth" or "shut your mouth up". Its use is generally considered rude and impolite, and may also considered a form of profanity by some.

Shut up - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org › wiki › Shut_up
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Rennie303: 12:23pm On May 24, 2020
Buliwyf:
Lol. Speaking in tongues is farcical and only worthy of mockery. Especially the ones that Christians practice these days. It's nothing more than gibberish and some patois that you guys use to psych up yourselves and feel you have a communication with some higher power. News flash, you don't!!!

It is telling that none of the tongues spoken these days can be recognised as any form of language by people. The only anecdotal evidence for speaking in tongues makes it known that they actually spoke the languages of the foreign people around them and could be understood. But you guys these days utter rubbish which doesn't even help anyone, not even yourselves.

Every language has the same pattern. You can do a statistical sampling of the words to get their usage frequency and all human languages have the same pattern. Some words are used more frequently than others. Especially articles. Heck, even dolphins' communication patterns almost matches that of humans and that's why it's been theorised that they have language. But you charlatans speaking in tongues, same thing can't be said for you. Your word usage is all over the place and usually you are just repeating the same nonsense over and over. No one can understand you. Not even yourselves.

Lastly, what's the use of your speaking in tongues? You have been speaking in tongues yet your life is not better than the average person that doesn't speak in tongues. You have no special knowledge, no special insights nor special abilities. You are as ordinary as the rest of us and the only thing that seems exceptional about you is your unmatched ability to delude yourself. You remind of those Christ Embassy girls in school that will meet you on the road and ask you to start speaking in tongues immediately. Then in the evening they are off to some guy's house to have the sex of their lives.

Don't judge every Christian by those you have seen....
Just like I can't judge your whole family based on the reckless behavior of one of your siblings
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Evercurious(f): 12:26pm On May 24, 2020
floss:
The young man you quoted wasn't arguing or in denial of its existence, you didn't get his message. Try not to be in haste so that you don't pass a wrong message with a good intent ....before some one start throwping stones at a glass house.

Pls go read through and come back to your comment here
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Judybash93(m): 12:26pm On May 24, 2020
MERCHANDISER:
Death is inevitable,everybody will die.Thats one of the biological features of Animals(human inclusive).
I just want to make sure u don't belong to the sch of thought that believe,when someone perpertrate or does evil,when he dies,he will perish in Hell fire for eternity or when someone is good,righteous,auspicious and honest,when he dies,he will goto heaven?

I'm a free thinker,i don't believe in all these things.The exaggerated, over-boring and highly contradicting
stories from the religious books make religion looks like shiit

China,india,Korea,Japan etc don't believe in all these stuff and they are progressing rapidly. Tell me one thing Africa has benefitted from foreign religion?

#gbam you've said it all
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by MPESA(m): 12:27pm On May 24, 2020
Humanoid01:

Some time back in school, someone actually prayed for me, and was trying to "invoke" the gift of tongues into me. Like she was praying and "speaking in tongues" so that I could start speaking in tongues that moment. Aunty pray tire and was expecting that I would start faking it. Honestly, I tried to fake it, but I just couldn't. Why would I stay and start saying nonsense for no reason?

Some yrs I was invited to Winners by my neighbor back in Nigeria and during the Pryers session , pastor say speak in tongues to confused the Devils.... Seriously I was surprise o but I no take am serious but the thing just dey my mind later again I was invited to winners again far away from naija Na so they carry us as a new comer come dey give us follow up but where matter end na where dey come dey teach us how to speaks in tongues, the thing tire me gan , I was also invited to Christ Embassy na the same thing happened.... I just weak because is it not the same Bible we all Christian are reading and having different interpretations.
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by MPESA(m): 12:29pm On May 24, 2020
Emax911:

I hope u understand, sometimes we pray in tongues without knowing what we r praying for or sometimes it is revealed through d spirit and when it is made manifest u will later get to Know.

you could read about the day of Pentecost, go deep and understand what happened after the disciples spoke in tongues

Sir I should be the one telling you to go and read the book of Acts of Apostle for better understanding not relying on pastor's only.
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Missyajoke(f): 12:36pm On May 24, 2020
Please don't mind my grammatical blunder
Story of how I received the Holy Spirit

I come from a pentecostal family, my dad was an elder and my mum a deaconess. Whenever my dad prays he speak in tongues and whenever he does that I always laugh that what is he saying. During Church programmes the pastor will call out those that doesn't have holy spirit. I'll be the first to come , the pastor will touch my head and nothing will happen, when I was attending fellowship the brothers will touch my head, my stomach nothing happened. For many years, there was a day I asked God if others can speak in tongues why can't i. That day I told God that if I can't speak in tongues that's the end I went for a church programme and the MOG said there's a sister here you've been trying to receive the holy Ghost bust nothing has worked for you. He asked us to pray a prayer point I prayed but nothing worked but immediately I left the programme as I was going to my hostel I started speaking in tongues at first I was saying I bind you evil spirit telling me nonsense, but it continued I got to my hostel and throughout the whole day I was just speaking, I was uncomfortable because I had lot of things to do than to speak in tongues.the second day same thing. The day I spoke in tongues I was in my hostel it was very loud , people were saying what's she saying. The next day a lady came to me and told me what her sister told her " that does that speak in tongues are lying". I didn't listen to her

Reasons why people don't believe speaking in tongues is real
1. Churches teach their members how to speak in tongues.
2. You can't live in sin and believe Holy spirit will stay
3. Most churches tell their members speaking in tongues is not important and that we're not bound by old testament

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Horlufemi(m): 12:42pm On May 24, 2020
Buliwyf:
Lol. Speaking in tongues is farcical and only worthy of mockery. Especially the ones that Christians practice these days. It's nothing more than gibberish and some patois that you guys use to psych up yourselves and feel you have a communication with some higher power. News flash, you don't!!!

It is telling that none of the tongues spoken these days can be recognised as any form of language by people. The only anecdotal evidence for speaking in tongues makes it known that they actually spoke the languages of the foreign people around them and could be understood. But you guys these days utter rubbish which doesn't even help anyone, not even yourselves.

Every language has the same pattern. You can do a statistical sampling of the words to get their usage frequency and all human languages have the same pattern. Some words are used more frequently than others. Especially articles. Heck, even dolphins' communication patterns almost matches that of humans and that's why it's been theorised that they have language. But you charlatans speaking in tongues, same thing can't be said for you. Your word usage is all over the place and usually you are just repeating the same nonsense over and over. No one can understand you. Not even yourselves.

Lastly, what's the use of your speaking in tongues? You have been speaking in tongues yet your life is not better than the average person that doesn't speak in tongues. You have no special knowledge, no special insights nor special abilities. You are as ordinary as the rest of us and the only thing that seems exceptional about you is your unmatched ability to delude yourself. You remind of those Christ Embassy girls in school that will meet you on the road and ask you to start speaking in tongues immediately. Then in the evening they are off to some guy's house to have the sex of their lives.

You said everything I've wanted to say. God bless you
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Emax911: 12:43pm On May 24, 2020
mapet:

O se! Researcher aye!!

pls Is shut up now an insultive words,. learn d meaning of somewords before u type.....bla bla...so telling someone shut up is now a crime...

NIGERIA WE HAIL
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by adontcare(f): 12:43pm On May 24, 2020
Buliwyf:

u just said what I want to say
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by mapet: 12:44pm On May 24, 2020
I do not think there is any attempt to "rubbish" speaking in tongues, but this debate (healthy I believe) is to understand it and situate as bible places it and not what it is not. Let me address some few misconstruction I see in your argument

densiks:

It is also worthy of mention that the Apostle Paul who wrote about two thirds of the New Testament emphasized the importance and need of speaking in tongues when he expressed that he spoke in tongues more than the people who were in the Corinthian church howbeit he was concerned about the wrong use or demonstration of the gift or manifestation of the use of tongues; as can be found in the scripture

“1 Corinthians 14;18
I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:”

From the foregoing,it is abundantly clear that speaking in tongues is an important,powerful and edifying component of the new covenant believers life amongs several other uses for which I will not delve into on this occasion.

The foregoing as submitted by Paul was not in context to stress the importance, power and edifying component. It is rather to lay the comparative usefulness of speaking of tongues to the person and to the church. How come you out chapter 19 "....Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue".... which gives the completion of Paul's statement and context "[i]I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all ”[/i]

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by MrNipplesLover(m): 12:44pm On May 24, 2020
pls, I want ask....

shey Jesus dey speak in tongue during his time on earth?

I want learn cry

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by floss(m): 12:45pm On May 24, 2020
Evercurious:

Pls go read through and come back to your comment here
I get your point, thanks for that. But sincerely speaking you should also practice that which you posted up there often.... No one is above mistake, and one shouldn't see correction as some thing bad...Remain blessed.
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Phenomenal16(f): 12:46pm On May 24, 2020
Activation of tongues....tremendous power is made available in d place of prayer
Brethren ,,,never cease praying in d holy ghost.....
Pray as d holy ghost gives u utterance.....
" out of belle shall flow streams of living waters"
Praise God!
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Horlufemi(m): 12:47pm On May 24, 2020
alBHAGDADI:

Most of what is termed speaking in tongues today are falsehood. They are either demonic incantations or total gibberish.

The tongues spoken during the day of Pentecost were actual human languages. The Bible also named the languages there were spoken. But today, what we hear are eskobibikilaka Shaka. Histala ba ski Shaka.

What's the essence of speaking in tongues? It is to preach the gospel. For example, you find yourself in China and don't understand Chinese, but you have to preach the gospel. God can give you the ability to speak Chinese at that moment to enable you preach and win souls.

The apostles at Pentecost spoke the languages of the people present then who had come to Jerusalem from all parts of the world. The people could hear the gospel in their language spoken by Jews who had never spoken it before. It was a miracle. Read the account in the book of Acts.

But Pentecostal churches today are messing Christianity up with gibberish or satanic incantations.

Flee from Pentecostal churches today or you will be doomed in hell.

Bag Daddy.

When you get sense like this. Wow wow wow.

God spoke through you today.

Clap clap clap
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by bigtt76(f): 1:00pm On May 24, 2020
Well captured! I taya sef. In the Bible we were told when the disciples started speaking in tongues, people who hitherto couldn't understand them started marveling at them being able to speak.

This means with the holy spirit, their tongue was set loose to speak in other languages so as to properly propagate the scriptures in other languages they couldn't before and which would've led them to being persecuted against.

It was just like they spoke hausa while in Enugu and the indigenes were hunting them down and all of a sudden, they started speaking Igbo and the people in Enugu marveled and couldn't differentiate them from their own. It's not about the people thesedays ranting.... Laba laba this that all in the name of tongues. Have they every preached in tongues? Tongues speaking is not for prayers only and shouldn't be misconstrued.

Buliwyf:

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Horlufemi(m): 1:05pm On May 24, 2020
Sammysparkcutie:

They are not speaking rubbish, it is an in filling of the Holy Ghost. It happens always. You do not need a feeling or a supernatural touch to speak in tongues. The Holy spirit gives you utterance once you open your mouth by faith to pray. If you are born again, you have received the Holy spirit, just open your mouth by faith and the Holy Ghost will give you utterance.

You know people that are not born again can do the exact thing you're calling speaking in tongues. What makes your own different from gibberish.

Ka ka ka ka ka ka lo lo lo lo lo lo lo lo Kum Kum k Kum Kum , re re re re re re re

No difference. Speaking in tongues is for converting unbelievers. You know, telling them in their native tongues to accept Christ, that is kind of miracle is unbelievable.

Imagine an indian man speaking in Igbo language to an atheist who is Igbo natively and the Indian doesn't even know he spoke Igbo. The atheist will become a believer because of the miracle. That's how it works.
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Nobody: 1:07pm On May 24, 2020
sageer1706:
Did Jesus and his disciple speak in tongues (just asking for a friend)
He hasn't pour out his Spirit while He was on earth. After He ascended to Heaven, he gave His diciples the promise of the Father(HolySpirit) as a gift to build them up spiritually and it is still present in our world today till we all depart for glory!
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Bamidayo542: 1:10pm On May 24, 2020
see below
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by ayusco85(m): 1:31pm On May 24, 2020
Buliwyf:

Dude shocked shocked grin grin

You took everything I wanted to say and said it. ,I don't need to say anything. You are a wise man and a knowledgeable person on the scriptures. Happy Sunday. May God add wisdom to you.
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Evercurious(f): 1:32pm On May 24, 2020
floss:
I get your point, thanks for that. But sincerely speaking you should also practice that which you posted up there often.... No one is above mistake, and one shouldn't see correction as some thing bad...Remain blessed.

It's dangerous to have a form of godliness and meanwhile deny the Power (HOLY SPIRIT) therefore. From such turn away. And remember not to be carried away by every wind of doctrine Remain blessed
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Nobody: 1:34pm On May 24, 2020
Evercurious:

YES Oga.I have. Are you a baby Christian? So sorry I had to ask. Desire it and you ll have it and not have no need to doubt it

It's so wonderful and sweet to be in gatherings where the gifts of the spirits are all at work. People speak in tongues but do not have an idea that they COULD be passing a message to someone in need of it. Someone with the gift of interpretation of tongues ,interpretes the tongues and the message is understood.

If you have nt been or are nt in such gatherings pls find one and you ll enjoy the Holy Spirit and His gifts at work..

Thank you my sister, In most gatherings especially on the mountains, Some ministers of God can interpret any tongue spoken and it will be very correct because the person whom the message is being delivered to will be shocked at such accuracy!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by densiks: 1:34pm On May 24, 2020
mapet:
I do not think there is any attempt to "rubbish" speaking in tongues, but this debate (healthy I believe) is to understand it and situate as bible places it and not what it is not. Let me address some few misconstruction I see in your argument

You failed in your attempt to address a non existent ‘misconstruction’ according to your words because in the paragraph you lifted from my submission if you read between the lines
You can find this;

...”howbeit he was concerned about the wrong use or demonstration of the gift or manifestation of the use of tongues”

On that note,I had abundantly highlighted that there was a case of abuse of the use of tongues and before Paul addressed that issue,he also made it clear that he spoke in tongues more than all of them giving credence to my submission which clearly highlighted the importance and power of tongues without prejudice to it’s appropriate usage especially in corporate meetings.

If you must join issues with me then read carefully and exhaust the relevant points before attempting to hastily correct what is apparently not there.

On the issue of fostering healthy debate in the subject in quest,the response I made was followed point by point from the poster I responded to, you can also avail yourself of between the line reading.

Selah
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by barragan: 1:35pm On May 24, 2020
Buliwyf:

Take a bow smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Who's Your Favorite Gospel Artiste? / The Messages Of Grace And Hellfire: Which Has Had More Impact In Recent Times? / NIFROP Christians, Muslims Unite In Prayer Against Spirit Of Disunity In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.