Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,863 members, 7,810,291 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:54 AM

Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? (16232 Views)

IPOB To Kumuyi: Don't Hold Crusade In Aba, South-East, Pray In Your Lagos Church / 7 Reasons Why Every Believer Should Speak In Tongues - Kenneth E Hagin / Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by COZA(m): 6:58pm On May 24, 2020
Oga this your copy and paste don't tooich

You dey give me unnecessary mentions
MERCHANDISER:

Did You Call Odumeje a Fake Pastor ? You need to read
this !
I see some Christians posting all sorts of bad contents
regarding
Odumeje. This is wrong on every sides, because i have
come to
understand that pastors are not perfect like we make
them
to
be.
I had previously chosen to just ignore but let me state
that
Odumeje's crime is his inability to not speak English and
his
love
for casual outfits.
Odumeje has not done half of what your favourite pastors
have
done, i hope you are cognozant of this fact, because i
grew
up in
the church.
While your pastor is buying private Jets, building world
standard
edifices and schools that your children cant afford to
attend,
Odumeje was giving Money to fire victims, food to the
poor
and
building roads.
While your pastor was allegedly looking for another
female
victim to exploit sexually, Odumeje was showing his wife
love
and being a father to his beautiful children.
Were we not here when Pastor Adeboye asked people to
donate
1billion each? Were we not here when your GO in Abuja
asked
his members to Jump into the cleansing Pool for 50k?
Are
you
not aware that your pastors sell mantle and olive oil?
While your Pastors move around with Armed men,
Odumeje is in
the street mixing with street boys and girls, maybe thats
why you
call him a fake prophet.
People that couldnt critisize the COZA pastor are insulting
Odumeje and thats laughable.
Some of your pastors have been banned from entering
some
countries because of fraud, are you aware ?
Odumeje dances "in a worldly fashion" but your suit
wearing and
English speaking pastor wines and dines with corrupt
politicians.
I can go on and on but let me not open fowl nyash.
Things that
will make u a man of God
1: Your relationship with God
2. Your way of life
3: And ur spiritual background. Pls deduct that mindset
that
reading ur bible, speaking good English we make u a man
of
God
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Coolcat10(m): 7:21pm On May 24, 2020
OK you speak languages the devil, cannot understand?
Human being and devil who first spoke?
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Kobojunkie: 7:24pm On May 24, 2020
Coolcat10:
OK you speak languages the devil, cannot understand? Human being and devil who first spoke?
Languages the devil cannot speak?Speaking of Satan...Who told you that one? Satan is probably fluent in every language known to man, including whatever language the Angels supposedly speak, since he is said to have appeared before God, along with the Sons of God( Job 1).
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by naijaman2225(m): 7:37pm On May 24, 2020
rummmy:
And Muslims,traditionalists and atheists are all commenting on this Christian topic without swearing an oat that they believe in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.
Nairaland owner should look into this and balance this iniquity.......

WHAZZAT? IS NAIRALAND NOW A CULT?
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by mapet: 7:57pm On May 24, 2020
sunkieisland:

You have certainly read the wrong thing in my church leadership analysis. I meant someone leading a church or group of people is obligated to interpret in order to edify the people he leads but on a personal level, he doesn't have to be worried about interpretation of the tongues because the speaking process is self-edifying

Actually not worrying about interpretation is not exclusively restricted to "leadership" either spiritual or church-wise. Anyone who is gifted with tongues speaks in private prayers needs no interpretation as his spirit communes directly with God. That you're a spiritual leader does not give any leverage on tongue speaking in church; speaking in tongue is personal edification and serves little purpose for a church assembly if there's no interpretation. I believe this is already rested in Paul's explanation to the Corinthians.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Ahasco(m): 7:59pm On May 24, 2020
Another set of confused being.
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Kobojunkie: 8:03pm On May 24, 2020
mapet:
Actually not worrying about interpretation is not exclusively restricted to "leadership" either spiritual or church-wise. Anyone who is gifted with tongues speaks in private prayers needs no interpretation as his spirit communes directly with God. That you're a spiritual leader does not give any leverage on tongue speaking in church; speaking in tongue is personal edification and serves little purpose for a church assembly if there's no interpretation. I believe this is already rested in Paul's explanation to the Corinthians.
grin
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by naijaman2225(m): 8:07pm On May 24, 2020
Excuses:
Let me tell us something..when i was in secondary school..particularly in ss3,an ex-official of the f.c.s came to visit us on Sunday and was the one to lead in preaching. i was the drama coordinator.after the service was over we the officials were asked to wait behind..during his meeting with us he said he wishes to know those of us who have up our game in the christiandom and consequently have improved our spiritual lives.

Nairalanders you would not believe what happened. during our first prayer point after the meeting.it became clear i was the only one who could not speak in tongues..He then concentrated his efforts on me according to him i must speak the tongues too. because of these he refused going back to town,he insisted that we the excos hold a vigil that very night and that the vigil must hold in my room, it was a boarding school.

Guys he did it to me, like forced me, compelled me until i started saying the things he was saying plus adding my own jara..all these i did because i wanted him to live me alone..The next day he told my friend the prayer secretary that i have improved..

That was the day i confirmed personally that the whole thing is total bulshit. to me the whole thing is an act of hypocrisy..

LOLZ...I HOPE YOU HAVE 'IMPROVED' MUCH SINCE THEN.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by naijaman2225(m): 8:09pm On May 24, 2020
Toofan007:
You don't need to speak in any tongue, don't let anybody tell you different. Pray to God in dem languages that you understand. In fact, you can pray to God without even speaking.

REMAIN BLESSED.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by mapet: 8:12pm On May 24, 2020
densiks:

You failed in your attempt to address a non existent ‘misconstruction’ according to your words because in the paragraph you lifted from my submission if you read between the lines
You can find this;

...”howbeit he was concerned about the wrong use or demonstration of the gift or manifestation of the use of tongues”

On that note,I had abundantly highlighted that there was a case of abuse of the use of tongues and before Paul addressed that issue,he also made it clear that he spoke in tongues more than all of them giving credence to my submission which clearly highlighted the importance and power of tongues without prejudice to it’s appropriate usage especially in corporate meetings.

If you must join issues with me then read carefully and exhaust the relevant points before attempting to hastily correct what is apparently not there.

On the issue of fostering healthy debate in the subject in quest,the response I made was followed point by point from the poster I responded to, you can also avail yourself of between the line reading.

Selah

For someone who took another person's submission and countered with "misconceptions,misleading and disingenuous falsehood...... " I find it rich coming from you that you had "abundantly highlighted" points. I wonder if you're in a healthy debate with someone and your first lines is to attack persons before laying down points, what that says about your disposition to healthy debate.

Yes. TOTAL misconstruction. I do not expect you accept anyways but let me ask some few questions further

18I thank my God I speak with tongues more than you all; 19yet in the church I would rather speak five words with my understanding, that I may teach others also, than ten thousand words in a tongue.
1 Cor 14: 18-19; this was the scripture you quoted in part with the below submission shey?

From the foregoing,it is abundantly clear that speaking in tongues is an important,powerful and edifying component of the new covenant believers life amongs several other uses for which I will not delve into on this occasion.

Pray tell, what part of the passage makes it abundantly clear or reinforces the notion of speaking in tongues as powerful and edifying? This is a simple case of Paul's explicating the lower relevance of speaking in tongues in a larger assembly as compared with prophesy/saying things with meaning. This is how some of you quote scriptures out of context giving it different meaning (i dare your personal views) from what the scriptures tells (MISCONSTRUCTION).

Join issues with you? I am not so disposed to people who seemingly overate themselves. I do not need to re-read your positions (which I read with diligent care before making my analysis). If you cannot make debates without this unnecessary edge, then........
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by DAVE5(m): 8:56pm On May 24, 2020
Buliwyf:
Lol. Speaking in tongues is farcical and only worthy of mockery. Especially the ones that Christians practice these days. It's nothing more than gibberish and some patois that you guys use to psych up yourselves and feel you have a communication with some higher power. News flash, you don't!!!

It is telling that none of the tongues spoken these days can be recognised as any form of language by people. The only anecdotal evidence for speaking in tongues makes it known that they actually spoke the languages of the foreign people around them and could be understood. But you guys these days utter rubbish which doesn't even help anyone, not even yourselves.

Every language has the same pattern. You can do a statistical sampling of the words to get their usage frequency and all human languages have the same pattern. Some words are used more frequently than others. Especially articles. Heck, even dolphins' communication patterns almost matches that of humans and that's why it's been theorised that they have language. But you charlatans speaking in tongues, same thing can't be said for you. Your word usage is all over the place and usually you are just repeating the same nonsense over and over. No one can understand you. Not even yourselves.

Lastly, what's the use of your speaking in tongues? You have been speaking in tongues yet your life is not better than the average person that doesn't speak in tongues. You have no special knowledge, no special insights nor special abilities. You are as ordinary as the rest of us and the only thing that seems exceptional about you is your unmatched ability to delude yourself. You remind of those Christ Embassy girls in school that will meet you on the road and ask you to start speaking in tongues immediately. Then in the evening they are off to some guy's house to have the sex of their lives.

You really went all out for this topic ohh

Omo, been long I read something this lethal and precise that made me laugh really hard

Truth is you couldn't have said it any better

Lol @ "Christ embassy girl" ; that was gangstar
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by DAVE5(m): 9:20pm On May 24, 2020
MERCHANDISER:

Did You Call Odumeje a Fake Pastor ? You need to read
this !
I see some Christians posting all sorts of bad contents
regarding
Odumeje. This is wrong on every sides, because i have
come to
understand that pastors are not perfect like we make
them
to
be.
I had previously chosen to just ignore but let me state
that
Odumeje's crime is his inability to not speak English and
his
love
for casual outfits.
Odumeje has not done half of what your favourite pastors
have
done, i hope you are cognozant of this fact, because i
grew
up in
the church.
While your pastor is buying private Jets, building world
standard
edifices and schools that your children cant afford to
attend,
Odumeje was giving Money to fire victims, food to the
poor
and
building roads.
While your pastor was allegedly looking for another
female
victim to exploit sexually, Odumeje was showing his wife
love
and being a father to his beautiful children.
Were we not here when Pastor Adeboye asked people to
donate
1billion each? Were we not here when your GO in Abuja
asked
his members to Jump into the cleansing Pool for 50k?
Are
you
not aware that your pastors sell mantle and olive oil?
While your Pastors move around with Armed men,
Odumeje is in
the street mixing with street boys and girls, maybe thats
why you
call him a fake prophet.
People that couldnt critisize the COZA pastor are insulting
Odumeje and thats laughable.
Some of your pastors have been banned from entering
some
countries because of fraud, are you aware ?
Odumeje dances "in a worldly fashion" but your suit
wearing and
English speaking pastor wines and dines with corrupt
politicians.
I can go on and on but let me not open fowl nyash.
Things that
will make u a man of God
1: Your relationship with God
2. Your way of life
3: And ur spiritual background. Pls deduct that mindset
that
reading ur bible, speaking good English we make u a man
of
God

I hope you also watch his videos on YouTube and other social media platforms

Him fighting with boy (supposed demon) in church, as in fist combat, the money spraying and other funny stuffs

The things he does for us to see, are those the things Jesus Christ would do or did?
Please read your Bible well before answering this very question

And you want to use other pastors as yardstick, he has done half of what our favorite pastors have done?
and you think anyone cares about his English being correct, who even told you those "our favorite" pastors are real

Proper TB Joshua's English isn't anything like pastor Chris oyakhilome's English and you wonder why people take TB Joshua serious and take odumeje as a joke?
Heck, there are many pastors who don't speak correct English but are taken more seriously

Let's cut the crap, I'm living in sin but who isn't living in sin these days, there's more than enough to make you live in sin but the odumeje I watch on YouTube pages and other social media platforms is just making a mockery of everything Jesus Christ and the Bible stands for abeg.

I'm imagining odumeje coming to preach to me with a Bible to turn to a Christian if I was a traditional worshipper, I'd laff my àss out real hard

Why?
Not cos he's preaching alien religion to me but cos his lifestyle is not worthy of emulation
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by DAVE5(m): 9:21pm On May 24, 2020
Bojack:
Rbabababebeaokolalalakakakasomededa

Me sef sabi am

Some people go say you dey blasphem as if no be wetin most of our church gang dey do
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by mapet: 9:22pm On May 24, 2020
RemarkableMind:

That someone "must" speak in tongue to evident the dwelling of the Holy Ghost is nonsense and un-biblical. It is people like you and others who are complete ignorant of the working of the plan of God within and outside the Gospel that confuses others, and belittle the power of the Christian faith.

My Brother,

God bless you abundantly for your submission, especially this part up here. I think the concordance of the Gifts and the Fruits of the Holy Spirit is not understood by many in Church today. How the many people even leaders have equated speaking in tongues as the (only) the evidence of the Holy Spirit in a Christian beats my imagination.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Cypherfx: 9:22pm On May 24, 2020
sageer1706:
Did Jesus and his disciple speak in tongues (just asking for a friend)

Yes Jesus did speak in tongues at his crucifixion
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Kobojunkie: 9:25pm On May 24, 2020
Cypherfx:
Yes Jesus did speak in tongues at his crucifixion
He spoke in his native tongue on the cross.. how could that be Him speaking in tongue? undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Cypherfx: 9:29pm On May 24, 2020
Kobojunkie:
He spoke in his native tongue on the cross.. how could that be Him speaking in tongue? undecided undecided undecided undecided

Speaking in tongues is also other Languages, go and read the acts of the Apostle on the account of the day of Holy Spirit, when they started speaking in tongues, they spoke other languages and the people understood what they where saying.
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Kobojunkie: 9:32pm On May 24, 2020
Cypherfx:
Speaking in tongues is also other Languages, go and read the acts of the Apostle on the account of the day of Holy Spirit, when they started speaking in tongues, they spoke other languages and the people understood what they where saying.
Even Jesus referred to it as speaking in new languages.
On the Cross, Jesus spoke in Aramaic, his own native tongue, a language he was raised to speak undecided undecided
If I spoke right now in my native tongue, would that then mean that I am in fact speaking in tongues? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Cypherfx: 9:33pm On May 24, 2020
Kobojunkie:

Acts 2:6-11 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,
Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,
Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=bible.kingjamesbiblelite
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Kobojunkie: 9:44pm On May 24, 2020
Cypherfx:

Acts 2:6-11 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,
Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,
Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=bible.kingjamesbiblelite

Jesus spoke a language he learned, while He was on the cross.... But the same Jesus said, of speaking in tongues

Mark 16 vs 14-18
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
14. Later, Jesus appeared to the eleven followers while they were eating. He criticized them because they had so little faith. They were stubborn and refused to believe the people who said Jesus had risen from death.

15. He said to them, “Go everywhere in the world. Tell the Good News to everyone.
16. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved. But those who do not believe will be judged guilty.
17. And the people who believe will be able to do these things as proof: They will use my name to force demons out of people. They will speak in languages they never learned.
18. If they pick up snakes or drink any poison, they will not be hurt. They will lay their hands on sick people, and they will get well.”
So, how could he have spoken in tongue while on the cross, when the language He spoke was aramaic, a language that was the known jewish tongue of His day? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by EvangelistChuks(m): 10:01pm On May 24, 2020
Kobojunkie:

Groanings are devoid of words, and hence cannot be interpreted as language can. So, no, Praying in the Spirit is not to be confused with Speaking in tongues which is a gift of the Spirit. Praying in the Spirit is NOT a gift of the spirit. It is what the Spirit of God Himself does on our behalf, and of His own choosing.
hmmmm.Who groans the Spirit or the believer. My brother these are esoteric to you,it's not what you conjecture with head knowledge. Have Jesus regenerate your heart first & cry for Spirit baptism. You don't talk about what you have never experienced,you can read about it,be taught about it but it's not the same, living it. Born again check: do you make the practice of sinning?
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Kobojunkie: 10:06pm On May 24, 2020
EvangelistChuks:
hmmmm.Who groans the Spirit or the believer.
The Spirit of the Living God Himself does the groaning.
EvangelistChuks:
My brother these are esoteric to you,it's not what you conjecture with head knowledge.
Nothing about this is foreign to me.
EvangelistChuks:
Have Jesus regenerate your heart first & cry for Spirit baptism. You don't talk about what you have never experienced,you can read about it,be taught about it but it's not the same, living it. Born again check: do you make the practice of sinning?
huh? Focus on what I posted abeg, stop bobbing and weaving as if by doing so, your point is made magically for you, assuming you even have one to make.
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Horlufemi(m): 10:44pm On May 24, 2020
Sammysparkcutie:

I wish i have all the time to break it down. Do have a pleasant day.

You can't because it's not from our Christ

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by rummmy: 12:08am On May 25, 2020
naijaman2225:

WHAZZAT? IS NAIRALAND NOW A CULT?
you must take an oat to comment on any Muslim topic
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by jayman33: 4:56am On May 25, 2020
Buliwyf:
Lol. Speaking in tongues is farcical and only worthy of mockery. Especially the ones that Christians practice these days. It's nothing more than gibberish and some patois that you guys use to psych up yourselves and feel you have a communication with some higher power. News flash, you don't!!!

It is telling that none of the tongues spoken these days can be recognised as any form of language by people. The only anecdotal evidence for speaking in tongues makes it known that they actually spoke the languages of the foreign people around them and could be understood. But you guys these days utter rubbish which doesn't even help anyone, not even yourselves.

Every language has the same pattern. You can do a statistical sampling of the words to get their usage frequency and all human languages have the same pattern. Some words are used more frequently than others. Especially articles. Heck, even dolphins' communication patterns almost matches that of humans and that's why it's been theorised that they have language. But you charlatans speaking in tongues, same thing can't be said for you. Your word usage is all over the place and usually you are just repeating the same nonsense over and over. No one can understand you. Not even yourselves.

Lastly, what's the use of your speaking in tongues? You have been speaking in tongues yet your life is not better than the average person that doesn't speak in tongues. You have no special knowledge, no special insights nor special abilities. You are as ordinary as the rest of us and the only thing that seems exceptional about you is your unmatched ability to delude yourself. You remind of those Christ Embassy girls in school that will meet you on the road and ask you to start speaking in tongues immediately. Then in the evening they are off to some guy's house to have the sex of their lives.

Omo iyami mafo...Mo wa pelue[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Myer(m): 8:43am On May 25, 2020
Missyajoke:
Please don't mind my grammatical blunder
Story of how I received the Holy Spirit

I come from a pentecostal family, my dad was an elder and my mum a deaconess. Whenever my dad prays he speak in tongues and whenever he does that I always laugh that what is he saying. During Church programmes the pastor will call out those that doesn't have holy spirit. I'll be the first to come , the pastor will touch my head and nothing will happen, when I was attending fellowship the brothers will touch my head, my stomach nothing happened. For many years, there was a day I asked God if others can speak in tongues why can't i. That day I told God that if I can't speak in tongues that's the end I went for a church programme and the MOG said there's a sister here you've been trying to receive the holy Ghost bust nothing has worked for you. He asked us to pray a prayer point I prayed but nothing worked but immediately I left the programme as I was going to my hostel I started speaking in tongues at first I was saying I bind you evil spirit telling me nonsense, but it continued I got to my hostel and throughout the whole day I was just speaking, I was uncomfortable because I had lot of things to do than to speak in tongues.the second day same thing. The day I spoke in tongues I was in my hostel it was very loud , people were saying what's she saying. The next day a lady came to me and told me what her sister told her " that does that speak in tongues are lying". I didn't listen to her

Reasons why people don't believe speaking in tongues is real
1. Churches teach their members how to speak in tongues.
2. You can't live in sin and believe Holy spirit will stay
3. Most churches tell their members speaking in tongues is not important and that we're not bound by old testament

Thanks for sharing.

Since you've been speaking in tongues what difference have you noticed?
Also, did you by chance also receive the gift of interpretation. Since everyone seems to have the gift of tongues but no one to interprete.

Apostle Paul did mention that if there is no one to interpret then speaking in tongues does not profit anyone except to edify the speaker privately. 1 Corinthians 14
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by gracechellar(f): 9:27am On May 25, 2020
Missyajoke:
I hope we're blessed with this short message of mine as we understand how Speaking/Praying in tongues helps in building our spiritual life.

Why do we need to speak/ pray in tongues.

The full baptism of the Holy Spirit is always evidenced by speaking in tongues. In Act 2 " 1-4
"And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind and it gilled all the house where they were sitting.

And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire and it sat upon each of them, and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance." What does " As the Spiri gave them utterance means" it means where he lives in the innermost part of your being- in your spir- from there rivers of living waters will flow.

Out of your spirit you'll begin to hear the voice of the Spirit giving you utterances. You'll hear it on the inside. But you have to open your mouth and speak it out. When you receive the baptism of the Holy spirit there is no need for dramatic emotion or jerking or falling down.

Some people, when they begin to speak on tongues they do not have fluency, or a large spiritual vocabulary. They are like little children when they're first learning his to speak, talking in broken words as they're learning. The constant infilling of the Spirit keeps you full of the mighty power of the Holy Spirit. Its a continual experience.

By speaking In tongues regularly, you fine - tune your spirit's awareness of the Holy Spirits indwelling presence.

Reasons for praying/ Speaking in Tongues

1. It edifies you or builds you up spiritually. Look at what Paul wrote to the Corinthians. He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifies himself (1 Cor. 14:4)
2. Speaking in Tongues reminds us of the Holy Spirits residence wcorrectly ( John 14:16-17)
3. Praying in tongues helps us pray correctly (Rom.8:26-27)
4. Praying in tongues stimulates our faith. (Jude 20)
5. Praying in tongues helps to keep us from foul talk.
6. Praying in tongues bring spiritual refreshing.(John 7:38-39)
7. Speaking in tongues helps to build a sensitivity to the Holy Spirit.(Rom. 8:14-16)
8. Speaking I'm tongues gives us power to be witnesses.(Acts 1: cool

Thank you for this. Very refreshing and enlightening

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by gracechellar(f): 9:28am On May 25, 2020
Buliwyf:

I once spoke like you.. May the Holy Spirit gove you understanding.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by gracechellar(f): 9:29am On May 25, 2020
sageer1706:
Did Jesus and his disciple speak in tongues (just asking for a friend)
The Holy spirit came after He ascended. He couldnt have spoken in tongues
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by gracechellar(f): 9:30am On May 25, 2020
Kizzygentle:
Speaking in tongue is a scam. Jesus Christ never spoke in tongue to proof anything. You are only decieving yourselves acting like your speaking in tongues. Most pastors mix different languages in one sentence and claim speaking in tongues. A girl invited me to Christ embassy one day when I was in school and when I went there I was shocked at what I saw. The pastor said if u want to speak in tongues come out and he will pray for them. See d way gullible people came out and after d pastor with fried hair like oyakhilome prayed for them they were all forming speaking in tongues. I wept that day. I was hearing calabar language mixed with hausa in one sentence.

My advice is whatever is ur problem or whatever u need and u need Gods intervention, u don't need to speak in tongues. Be sincere with ur request and have a clean heart and ask God. God will grant ur request so easily.

Happy Sunday and God bless us all.
Jesus never did most of the things you are doing now
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Nobody: 10:02am On May 25, 2020
We speak in tongues when it suits us, because we are lazy, can't muster the focus to pray in a language known to us, so we take the easy way out and chant nonsense, like the idolaters do.

Since I came to my senses, when people are praying, I always tell them beforehand that if you speak in your so-called tongues, I will simply step outside and let you finish your chants. I will not say amen to it at all. Amen is a signature that I agree with what you are saying, that I'm signing the prayer contract with you.

When, during calmer seasons, I always ask them this question. Suppose we were given $1 Million dollars to share, and I bring a contract to you detailing the share, but it's written in the Chinese language, which I know you can't read or write in, and I ask you to trust me and sign it, will you sign it? The answer has always been No.

If you can't trust me, whom you know, with a contract written in a known language, even though you can't speak it or write in it, why should I trust the gibberish you are spouting, which none of us can interpret, understand or even write down?

Examples of when GOD spoke to individuals directly, and their responses:

1. Samuel - LORD, speak, for your servant hears you. Samuel, then a young boy, heard GOD speak to him clearly, that he initially thought it was Eli calling him.
2. Abraham - He conversed with GOD for a while and even bargained with HIM to save the people of Sodom and Gomorrah.
3. Saul - When GOD spoke to him from heaven, it's attested that the people with Saul, heard a voice, but saw no one, hence their terror. Or does GOD now speak with unbelievers in shakalamaboshegelashobababomagologoraka? That may even have terrified them the more... Acts 26:14 even goes as far as to state that the Voice spoke to them in the Hebrew/Aramaic language!
4. GOD spoke with Elijah
5. When Jesus was transfigured on the mount, the disciples with Him, clearly heard Him discussing with Moses and Elijah, 2 beings we know to be in Heaven, in a language they knew. No spiritual nonsensical language was reported at this event.
6. Finally, when the disciples asked Jesus, teach us how to pray, for goodness sake, what did He tell them? We now have what is called The Lord's prayer.

Why then, despite all these antecedents, would our loving Father in Heaven, send us a language that is terrifying to the ears, sounds like an asylum under riot and makes unbelievers to make jest of HIS word. Is this the comfort that the Holy Spirit brings?

I've said my own. Some will still call me demon possessed or some such nonsense. Let's see whose chosen form of prayer language closely resembles that of demons...
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Missyajoke(f): 11:58am On May 25, 2020
Myer:

Thanks for sharing.

Since you've been speaking in tongues what difference have you noticed?
Also, did you by chance also receive the gift of interpretation. Since everyone seems to have the gift of tongues but no one to interprete.

Apostle Paul did mention that if there is no one to interpret then speaking in tongues does not profit anyone except to edify the speaker privately. 1 Corinthians 14

Speaking in tongues has helped my spiritual growth. It has prevented me from dangers. Cause once am busy I start speak in tongues without control it means danger is learn so I excuse myself to pray in tongues extensively. Its a wonderful gift. Praying in tongues is like praying the mind of God in a situation, so concerning the interpretation if you pray to God to give you the interpretation he'll gibe it to you. Speaking is tongues is vital for Spiritual growth. So speak while some can interpret but if you pray to God he can't give you the ability to speak and interpret.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Help! I Am Praying In A Language I Don't Understand. / The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges / WiSDOM SEED DAILY DEVOTIONAL

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.