Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:37 AM

Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? (16248 Views)

IPOB To Kumuyi: Don't Hold Crusade In Aba, South-East, Pray In Your Lagos Church / 7 Reasons Why Every Believer Should Speak In Tongues - Kenneth E Hagin / Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Offpoint: 10:15am On May 24, 2020
Evercurious:

Get to the next level - INTERPRETATION OF TONGUES. Okay?
Have you ever heard anyone interprets it? NO

Why does everyone wants to speak, but no one has asked for the spirit of interpretation?

Why are there more speakers than interpreter?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by TOPCRUISE(m): 10:15am On May 24, 2020
Is it a must for a christian to speak in togues

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Evercurious(f): 10:16am On May 24, 2020
Humanoid01:

I was expecting a comment like this. That is not my understanding of the gift of tongues, I wouldn't desire anything that unscriptural.

Really?
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Akharmony: 10:19am On May 24, 2020
Edifies the body of christ...
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Evercurious(f): 10:20am On May 24, 2020
Offpoint:

Have you ever heard anyone interprets it? NO

Why does everyone wants to speak, but no one has asked for the spirit of interpretation?

Why are there more speakers than interpreter?

YES Oga.I have. Are you a baby Christian? So sorry I had to ask. Desire it and you ll have it and not have no need to doubt it

It's so wonderful and sweet to be in gatherings where the gifts of the spirits are all at work. People speak in tongues but do not have an idea that they COULD be passing a message to someone in need of it. Someone with the gift of interpretation of tongues ,interpretes the tongues and the message is understood.

If you have nt been or are nt in such gatherings pls find one and you ll enjoy the Holy Spirit and His gifts at work..
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by wizod(m): 10:20am On May 24, 2020

I SPEAK IN TONGUES AND I LIKE IT. IT MAKES ME TO BE CONNECTED TO GOD AND BE MORE SPIRITUAL WHEN I'M PRAYING IN TONGUES. I DIDN'T LEARN IT, IT JUST HAPPENED WHEN I GOT BORN AGAIN NEWLY, I WAS SINGING AND PRAISING GOD ONE DAY AND IMMEDIATELY MY VOICED CHANGED AND I BEGAN TO SPEAK IN AN UNKNOWN TONGUE.
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Humanoid01(m): 10:22am On May 24, 2020
Evercurious:

Really?
Lol yes. Please explain the following passages: Acts 2:1-4 and 1 Corinthians 14:6.
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by OKTolu: 10:22am On May 24, 2020
As the spirit leadeth
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by wizod(m): 10:24am On May 24, 2020
Evercurious:

YES Oga.I have. Are you a baby Christian? So sorry I had to ask. Desire it and you ll have it and not have no need to doubt it
he's just a christian by birth not by belief and also a carnal man

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Offpoint: 10:24am On May 24, 2020
Evercurious:

Did anyone confirmed the interpretation was correct?

I have a lot gifts I can ask God for, speaking in today's tongue is not one of them.

Cause anything aside from the pentecostal tongues of preaching the gospel to others in their own tongue is of no use to me.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Nelx(m): 10:26am On May 24, 2020
Evercurious:

My dear speaking in tongues edifes you..leave them to speak in tongues..as per the other gift of the spirit, some people have and are still receiving them.. Face your own race and desire ALL the gifts of the spirit and you ll receive them all.. IN THE LAST DAYS I SHALL POUR OUT MY SPIRIT ON ALL FLESH..

So what will you say concerning 1 Cor 14:27-28
If it edifies you, please speak it in your privacy.
The church should edify each other, that's why if there is no one to interpret, they should keep quiet.
They is a place in the Bible where Jesus himself admonished the disciples to pray to God quietly and not as show offs the way the pharasies behave.
To me, speaking abi shouting in tongues is just show off

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Evercurious(f): 10:26am On May 24, 2020
wizod:

I SPEAK IN TONGUES AND I LIKE IT. IT MAKES ME TO BE CONNECTED TO GOD AND BE MORE SPIRITUAL WHEN I'M PRAYING IN TONGUES. I DIDN'T LEARN IT, IT JUST HAPPENED WHEN I GOT BORN AGAIN NEWLY, I WAS SINGING AND PRAISING GOD ONE DAY AND IMMEDIATELY MY VOICED CHANGED AND I BEGAN TO SPEAK IN AN UNKNOWN TONGUE.

THATS IT.. HE MAKES PRAYERS, WORSHIP ,LIFE AND ALL VERY EASY..

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by olaadesino(m): 10:27am On May 24, 2020
Emax911:

its obvious u don't Know the Bible because before Jesus left earth he had said he will give us that power( his disciples), he said he has to leave for the holy spirit to come...if u can't comprehend or understand the Bible, ASK and if not

SHUT UP
The big problem you have is the you leave your spiritual aspects in the of so called pastor rather you pick up your Bible and from cover to cover. They will be telling you holy spirit before you understand a book acclaimed to be Book of God
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by nthony10: 10:27am On May 24, 2020
Buliwyf:
Lol. Speaking in tongues is farcical and only worthy of mockery. Especially the ones that Christians practice these days. It's nothing more than gibberish and some patois that you guys use to psych up yourselves and feel you have a communication with some higher power. News flash, you don't!!!

It is telling that none of the tongues spoken these days can be recognised as any form of language by people. The only anecdotal evidence for speaking in tongues makes it known that they actually spoke the languages of the foreign people around them and could be understood. But you guys these days utter rubbish which doesn't even help anyone, not even yourselves.

Every language has the same pattern. You can do a statistical sampling of the words to get their usage frequency and all human languages have the same pattern. Some words are used more frequently than others. Especially articles. Heck, even dolphins' communication patterns almost matches that of humans and that's why it's been theorised that they have language. But you charlatans speaking in tongues, same thing can't be said for you. Your word usage is all over the place and usually you are just repeating the same nonsense over and over. No one can understand you. Not even yourselves.

Lastly, what's the use of your speaking in tongues? You have been speaking in tongues yet your life is not better than the average person that doesn't speak in tongues. You have no special knowledge, no special insights nor special abilities. You are as ordinary as the rest of us and the only thing that seems exceptional about you is your unmatched ability to delude yourself. You remind of those Christ Embassy girls in school that will meet you on the road and ask you to start speaking in tongues immediately. Then in the evening they are off to some guy's house to have the sex of their lives.

I really feel sorry for you. How can you be explaining a spiritual exercise using a physical approach. Abeg study these scriptures in-depth?

1 Corinthians 1:27
Rom 8:26-30
1corintians 14 : 2-5

You are simply wise in your own eyes which is dangerous. Feel free to insult me but you can’t hide the truth about the power of speaking in tongues.
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Offpoint: 10:27am On May 24, 2020
wizod:
he's just a christian by birth not by belief and also a carnal man
Yeah, I'm a canal man. Check the meaning.

I refuse to follow crowd blinding, I do my personal readings and finding + praying and seeking.
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by olaadesino(m): 10:28am On May 24, 2020
Emax911:

its obvious u don't Know the Bible because before Jesus left earth he had said he will give us that power( his disciples), he said he has to leave for the holy spirit to come...if u can't comprehend or understand the Bible, ASK and if not

SHUT UP
The big problem you have is the you leave your spiritual aspects in the of so called pastor rather you pick up your Bible and from cover to cover. They will be telling you need holy spirit before you understand a book acclaimed to be Book of God
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Evercurious(f): 10:28am On May 24, 2020
Nelx:

The church should edify each other, that's why if there is no one to interpret, they should keep quiet.
They is a place in the Bible where Jesus himself admonished the disciples to pray to God quietly and not as show offs the way the pharasies behave.

My dear BLAST it. The Holy Spirit that gave you isnt complaining.. Is He? Moreover speaking in tongues edifies you. YOU ARE MISSING ALOT. I TELL YOU
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Lexusgs430: 10:29am On May 24, 2020
After they drank the wine and enjoyed the point and kill, they started speaking in different tongues.........

Watch an alcoholic, after a boozy encounter....... You can beerly understand what they say ........... Effects of excessive beer booze........ grin

Alcoholics start speaking in tongues....... tongue

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Liposure: 10:30am On May 24, 2020
known n unknown. god understands all tongues
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Evercurious(f): 10:30am On May 24, 2020
Nelx:

MY DEAR IT IS NOT SHOW OFF.. As you speak and pray in tongues, messages,directions, answers to some issues are dropped in your spirit..

My dear IT'S NO SHOW OFF

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by winj: 10:31am On May 24, 2020
Welcome to 21st Century Africa...baptism, Holy Spirit, speaking in tongues - sounds like something a mad person will say after smoking ganja!
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Evercurious(f): 10:34am On May 24, 2020
Offpoint:

Did anyone confirmed the interpretation was correct?

I have a lot gifts I can ask God for, speaking in today's tongue is not one of them.

Cause anything aside from the pentecostal tongues of preaching the gospel to others in their own tongue is of no use to me.

I have the gift of tongues and also interpretation of tongues . so I know what I m saying. Go and desire it ,come back and tell me your experience.. And dont say it isn't one of those you would desire.. IT'S BEAUTIFUL

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by uruu(f): 10:35am On May 24, 2020
i spoke in tongues last week for like 30minutes for the first time in a church meeting, how can i speak in tongues again.
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by maddie24(m): 10:36am On May 24, 2020
Buliwyf:
Lol. Speaking in tongues is farcical and only worthy of mockery. Especially the ones that Christians practice these days. It's nothing more than gibberish and some patois that you guys use to psych up yourselves and feel you have a communication with some higher power. News flash, you don't!!!

It is telling that none of the tongues spoken these days can be recognised as any form of language by people. The only anecdotal evidence for speaking in tongues makes it known that they actually spoke the languages of the foreign people around them and could be understood. But you guys these days utter rubbish which doesn't even help anyone, not even yourselves.

Every language has the same pattern. You can do a statistical sampling of the words to get their usage frequency and all human languages have the same pattern. Some words are used more frequently than others. Especially articles. Heck, even dolphins' communication patterns almost matches that of humans and that's why it's been theorised that they have language. But you charlatans speaking in tongues, same thing can't be said for you. Your word usage is all over the place and usually you are just repeating the same nonsense over and over. No one can understand you. Not even yourselves.

Lastly, what's the use of your speaking in tongues? You have been speaking in tongues yet your life is not better than the average person that doesn't speak in tongues. You have no special knowledge, no special insights nor special abilities. You are as ordinary as the rest of us and the only thing that seems exceptional about you is your unmatched ability to delude yourself. You remind of those Christ Embassy girls in school that will meet you on the road and ask you to start speaking in tongues immediately. Then in the evening they are off to some guy's house to have the sex of their lives.
God bless you brother
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by mapet: 10:37am On May 24, 2020
Youngzedd:
Around A.D. 170, the church excommunicated Montanus and the two prophetess (Priscilla and Maximilla) for their prophesies and doing what many are doing today, that's speaking in a language others don't understand (speaking in tongues). Montanism was named after Montanus. He was opposed using Matthew 7:15. The Catholic Church (Not Roman Catholic Church) saw Montanist doctrine as a threat, the bishops of Asia Minor gathered in synods and finally excommunicated the Montanists.

One of the major reason the church excommunicated them is based on the below scripture they didn't meet.

1 Corinthians 14:27-28
27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. 28 If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and to God.

Acts 2:6-11
6 When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken. 7 Utterly amazed, they asked: “Aren’t all these who are speaking Galileans? 8 Then how is it that each of us hears them in our native language? 9 Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia,[b] 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome 11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs—we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!”

Tongues of angels >> http://www.bible-speaking-in-tongues.com/tongues-of-angels.html

Speaking in tongues is a language of humans, just like Igbo, Chinese, French, Spanish, Yoruba etc, anything other than that is a sign of madness and such person requires medical attention.

I believe speaking in tongues has been misinterpreted and badly contextualized in the Christian fold and such the seeming resistance and unacceptance. My submissions are these

1. Speaking in tongues is but one of the gifts of the Holy Spirits. Unfortunately people attribute it to the (only) evidence of the holy spirit in a person.
2. Speaking in tongues is not the absolute, neither is it the most important gifts of the spirit according to Paul's exposition to the Corinthian Church. In fact in Chapter 12:31; 14:1-5, Paul equated the gift of prophesy as more valuable to the church than speaking in tongues; and encourage them to prophesy more than speaking in tongues
3. The Holy Spirit enables these gifts and manifestation of it according to his own will and purposes. The Holy Spirit MAY NOT ENABLE YOU TO SPEAK IN TONGUES. This does not mean you do not have the Holy Spirit in you
4. The argument of self edification as an advantage of speaking in tongues holds true but Paul used it in a comparative context with the edification of the Church which Prophesy provides the benefit of.

Of all these argues, these gifts would be USELESS if we do not allow it to work out in us the FRUITS OF THE SPIRIT - Galatians 5:22-23

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Nelx(m): 10:39am On May 24, 2020
Evercurious:

My dear BLAST it. The Holy Spirit that gave you isnt complaining.. Is He? Moreover speaking in tongues edifies you. YOU ARE MISSING ALOT. I TELL YOU
We are just going back and forth. You've provided no counter argument to my assertion's.
Perhaps you have not given the matter much thought. Just think and ask yourself this question 'Does my speaking in tongues edify me and others?'
I'll leave you with your opinion.
Cheers

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by mapet: 10:39am On May 24, 2020
Emax911:

SHUT UP

Bros,

How do you find it convenient to engage in a Christian debate and freely drop insults?

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Nehyooh(m): 10:40am On May 24, 2020
Hmmm; May God help us all !
Kizzygentle:
Speaking in tongue is a scam. Jesus Christ never spoke in tongue to proof anything. You are only decieving yourselves acting like your speaking in tongues. Most pastors mix different languages in one sentence and claim speaking in tongues. A girl invited me to Christ embassy one day when I was in school and when I went there I was shocked at what I saw. The pastor said if u want to speak in tongues come out and he will pray for them. See d way gullible people came out and after d pastor with fried hair like oyakhilome prayed for them they were all forming speaking in tongues. I wept that day. I was hearing calabar language mixed with hausa in one sentence.

[b]My advice is whatever is ur problem or whatever u need and u need Gods intervention, u don't need to speak in tongues. Be sincere with ur request and have a clean heart and ask God. God will grant ur request so easily.

Happy Sunday and God bless us al[/b]l.
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Evercurious(f): 10:40am On May 24, 2020
Nelx:

We are just going back and forth. You've provided no counter argument to my assertion's.
Perhaps you have not given the matter much thought. Just think and ask yourself this question 'Does my speaking in tongues edify me and others?'
I'll leave you with your opinion.
Cheers

I dont know the tongues you are speaking.. Mine edifies me. and others since I have got the gift of interpretation of tongues.. But most expedient to it all ,IT EDIFIES ME
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Offpoint: 10:40am On May 24, 2020
Evercurious:

I have the gift of tongues and also interpretation of tongues . so I know what I m saying. Go and desire it ,come back and tell me your experience.. And dont say it isn't one of those you would desire.. IT'S BEAUTIFUL
I don't desire it, I have other spiritual gifts I desired.... Not tongues.
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Evercurious(f): 10:43am On May 24, 2020
Offpoint:

I don't desire it, I have other spiritual gifts I desired.... Not tongues.

Okay Sir.. So you dont talk about it since you had the opportunity to judge for yourself based on your own personal experience. But turned it down

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Pictures Of Joseph Prince $280 Million Church Building In Singapore / Why My Wife Is Divorcing Me” – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome Finally Reveals / Time To Worship The African God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.