Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,591 members, 7,809,145 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:14 AM

Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head (49665 Views)

Akinwumi Adesina Proposes ‘United States Of Nigeria’ / COVID-19 Crisis: Ramaphosa, Johnson-sirleaf Akinwumi Adesina's Steps / Akinwumi Adesina Meets John Connors, American Who Sponsored Him In School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by agabusta: 7:15am On May 25, 2020
omonnakoda:

I agree but what authority does America have to call for this?

I believe this is to influence the choice of successor as he is up for renewal.

I know an IT contrac was issued to a Russian firm and also a French company ALSTOM was sanctioned.
So we must be mindful of context

It is a similar strategy to what we see with the disinformation against the Chinese with coronavirus

Just throw innuendos about.

The question is

What exactly is he alleged to have done

Just one thing exactly

Thank you sir.

They mentioned favouritism in appointments and contracts and lack of due process.

I expected them to furnish us with some of the details of their allegation for us to put it in the right perspective, but nothing!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by Subduer: 7:20am On May 25, 2020
cosef:

If he were Igbo would you say the same thing?

Ngozi who lobbied Adesina into that position is, not only proudly Igbo, but VERY active in the Biafran War, and can be trusted to know what she's doing.

Not all Yorubas are anti-Igbos. And must Igbos always seek concensus? Adesina should complete his 2nd term.
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by Justiceleague1: 7:25am On May 25, 2020
One4me:
\

You iGBOS and this your "Victim Mentality" sef!
No one is asking you to support Adesina if he is actually guilty, Yourba or no Yoruba or Nigerian.
ADESINA HAS CLEARED HIMSELF BEYOND DOUBT.
Yorubas rallied round Air Peace CEO, and even chided the Fulani, Nigerian Govt for not using him to repatriate Nigerians from the Middle East, USA and China.
Yorubas still remember his "good deeds" when he freely evacuated Nigerians (mostly Igbos, notwithstanding), from South Africa.
But if Onyeama or Adesina gets involved in any financial fraud, Yorubas wont stand by either of them, even if his father was Awolowo.

Yourbas are the greatest critques of themselves and they are noted for not shielding a criminal of their own, so why would you expect them to shield an Igbo criminal?
It is ony Igbos that do this CATALYTIC, ETHNIC PARAPOISM and since criminality is not always far from them, it is understandable that they would be seeking the blind support of Yorubas and wail a lot, if they dont get it.
It is also understandable that Yorubas, noted for not acquiescing to such banal and premordial sentiments, will not oblige them, NOR OBLIGE ONE OF THEIR OWN.

My advice, stay out of criminality, if you want the support of Yorubas, be you Yoruba or Igbo.

Shove your epistle up your ars....,I am not Igbo.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by Justiceleague1: 7:26am On May 25, 2020
PureFace1:

Who is crying for your support?

Nobody need the support of any Nyamirin

Your support won't take him anywhere.

Thunda go do him work seriously and terribly between me and you if I am Igbo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by cosef: 7:27am On May 25, 2020
Subduer:

Ngozi who lobbied Adesina into that position is, not only proudly Igbo, but VERY active in the Biafran War, and can be trusted to know what she's doing.

Not all Yorubas are anti-Igbos. And must Igbos always seek concensus? Adesina should complete his 2nd term.

Please shut it. If NOI or any Igbo was the one indicted by the US, your yorubas will be jubilating and masturbating. We've seen it severally with Iweala, Aruma Oteh and other Igbos whom you've slandered so badly. We are paying you back in your coin.

Adesina is thief, USA cannot make mistakes here. They have their facts.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by Myer(m): 7:31am On May 25, 2020
Obijulius:
This is going to end well.

When Trump or any of his appointees accuse you of corruption forget it, you are corrupt.

The AFDB was becoming a Chinese lackey and corruption can it be ruled.

Akinwunmi goofed on this one.

We move! No time for jokers!

Let the better man take the office!

Apparently you failed comprehension in school.

By the time you realise that foreign nations don't want Africa to compete with them economically you will understand.

How can you not deduce from the article that he's being probed because of his success with AfDB. When have you ever heard of AfDB or any other African establishment make an ntervention support to African nations of the magnitude he made?

In case you missed it, he was said to have already been investigated and exonerated but they just want to frustrate him with allegations of favouritism

Whether they like it or not Africa will be free from them eventually.

Don't let tribalism blind you from your greater enemy.

3 Likes

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by romenna: 7:37am On May 25, 2020
Africans are still slaves.
Why allow America have a say in our affairs?

1 Like

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by precious1967(m): 8:02am On May 25, 2020
corruption and stealing is in naija's blood. u.s should do the needful.
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by Myself2(m): 8:24am On May 25, 2020
fallout87:
No one is asking the right questions.

For one the US doesn't care for the most part about African (or foreign) interest unless they want to seize control or put their man in place.

Why is this so important to Munchin? Mind you Munchin is a man who doesn't care about middle class or poor here in the US..... talk much Africans.

LOL @ Munchin and Munchies

Seriously tho, I like this man and I'm unhappy this is happening
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by Obijulius: 8:30am On May 25, 2020
Stay safe.

Love you too
Myer:

Apparently you failed comprehension in school.

By the time you realise that foreign nations don't want Africa to compete with them economically you will understand.

How can you not deduce from the article that he's being probed because of his success with AfDB. When have you ever heard of AfDB or any other African establishment make an ntervention support to African nations of the magnitude he made?

In case you missed it, he was said to have already been investigated and exonerated but they just want to frustrate him with allegations of favouritism

Whether they like it or not Africa will be free from them eventually.

Don't let tribalism blind you from your greater enemy.
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by Subduer: 8:55am On May 25, 2020
cosef:

If NOI or any Igbo was the one indicted by the US, your yorubas will be jubilating and masturbating. We've seen it severally with Iweala, Aruma Oteh and other Igbos whom you've slandered so badly.

Not all Yorubas are anti-Igbos. And must Igbos always receive 100% concensus?

It's in the best interest of Igbos to SUPPORT Adesina NOW. It doesn't Yorubanise me, or Ngozi, to take a CONSIDERED stand for the benefit of everyone.

French people are trying to control the Eco currency, & they know that Adesina UNDERSTANDS what they're up to. It's our call in Nigeria. Not even Buhari should be allowed to SELL all Nigerians to SLAVE for the French Economy.
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by 4Play(m): 8:57am On May 25, 2020
agabusta:

Thank you sir.

They mentioned favouritism in appointments and contracts and lack of due process.

I expected them to furnish us with some of the details of their allegation for us to out it in the right perspective, but nothing!

Those details were apparently furnished in the original complaint - part of a 12 page report detailing the allegations. Here is some more news on the original allegation:

the letter, more than a dozen pages long and dated April 2020, bank staff also complained of "preferential treatment for Nigeria and Nigerians".

They said in particular that while Nigeria owned a little more than nine per cent of the shares in AfDB, Nigerians "made up roughly 25 per cent of the newly recruited managerial functions" under a "massive recruitment drive that was launched due to the restructuring of President Adesina between 2016 and 2018."

The new managers allegedly include a brother-in-law of the president and a childhood friend.

Mr Adesina said: "I am 100 per cent confident that due process and transparency, based on facts and evidence, will indicate that these are all nothing more than spurious and unfounded allegations.

Another example raised by the bank staff was that of awards received by Mr Adesina in 2017 and 2019 of US$250,000 and US$500,000 from groups in the United States and South Korea.

"It is not clear if he received these awards as the President of the AfDB or as a private citizen," but "dozens of people, bank staff, executive directors" and others including family members "attended the award ceremonies at the bank's costs."

The letter went on to ask: "If these awards were private, why did the bank support associated costs? If they were awarded to the President of the Group of the Bank were the awards returned to the Bank?"

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/banking-finance/african-bank-chief-accused-of-multiple-violations
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by Nonsoboy4life(m): 8:57am On May 25, 2020
CloudResident:

Bros if you can't read in between the lines ...well,I give up!
Maybe u didn't understand the allegations despite him being cleared... Adesina just like Tinubu is nepotistic and a looter, he should be disposed of his job
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by Nobody: 9:00am On May 25, 2020
flyingpig:
Yoruba amaka kiss

Yoruba na fraud amaka
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 9:03am On May 25, 2020
Dtribeless:

Shame on your for wasting your time typing all this tripe. Mumu, China is not America's competition; it's the EU. Stop trading with dollars and trade in Yuan? Hate will blind you. Even Asian countries are not trading in Yuan.

[/b]When you take time off typing rubbish online, review some of China's loan contracts across the continent; you'd see who your real enemy is[b].

they will not. if only they know how their politicians are busy signing a one-sided bilateral economic treaty with Perking cox of kick-back.

However , the Americans ain't blameless. I mean most of the Abacha loot were deposited in US banks not Chinese banks. The nigerian government are yet to set up an independent panel of enquiry to investigate how US financial institutions helped Abacha to loot our national treasure!

A case of two necessary devils , we should alìgn more with the lesser devil.

Btw.... Our western brothers are calling it a witch-hunt...telling nigerian govt to support him. But when the US accused Allen Onyema of financial fraud & money laundering. They called him a fraudster , told him to go & prove himself in the court.

well , the Igbo Amaka in me & my common sense says that AFDB should allow an independent group to investigate the allegation.
A clean heart fears no accusation.
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by LagosWahala: 9:22am On May 25, 2020
WHY are there any non AFRICAN investors in the AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK?! This continent is just messed up!
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by 4Play(m): 9:32am On May 25, 2020
I managed to find the Le Monde Afrique article which provides a bit more details. See excerpts:

Relatives of President Adesina have been appointed to strategic positions within this Abidjan-based institution, which notably manages public money from African taxpayers. But these appointments flout the strict rules of recruitment, insist the whistleblowers. They cite the case of a friend of Mr. Adesina appointed to a managerial position, yet still occupied by his predecessor. This forced the AfDB briefly to pay two salaries. Another, a childhood friend this time, was awarded a contract for $ 326,000 (about 300,000 euros) in 2017 for his Nigerian communications company, before being recruited to the AfDB for a few months later. However, during an internal audit of the institution, the contract was reported as potentially falling under a“Conflict of interest” .

https://www.lemonde.fr/afrique/article/2020/04/05/a-la-banque-africaine-de-developpement-le-president-adesina-conteste-par-des-employes_6035653_3212.html

PS: Use Google Translate or other translation software to convert the article from French to English.
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by grandstar(m): 9:52am On May 25, 2020
I'll be frank, I think he's guilty.

I doubt he is corrupt but cronyism influenced contracts and jobs can't be ruled out.

The primary problem is that Nigeria is so steeped in corruption that even the politicians we term honest here would have been stoned to death in other countries. Giving your friend a untendered contract is nothing here and you'd even be called a fool for not doing so. It is taboo, an abomination in many countries.

For instance, take a look at Akpabiis Akwa Ibom. Though the man carried out lots of projects, they were done at preposterous sums. Despite that, he was extremely popular. In the US, he'd be in jail serving a long prison sentence.

3 Likes

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by SIRTee15: 10:03am On May 25, 2020
4Play:
I managed to find the Le Monde Afrique article which provides a bit more details. See excerpts:

https://www.lemonde.fr/afrique/article/2020/04/05/a-la-banque-africaine-de-developpement-le-president-adesina-conteste-par-des-employes_6035653_3212.html

PS: Use Google Translate or other translation software to convert the article from French to English.

Don't be fooled by the french media sudden concern about nepotism in Afdb....
France wants him out badly...
They will be the biggest loser if adesina returns as president....
He has decentralised the operation of the bank making it impossible for France to control from Paris....

Nigeria has only 4 senior staff members....check their names in my previous thread....despite being the largest shareholder.....something the article conveniently forgot to mention......
France on the other hand, has 65 senior staffs working in the bank....mind u their contribution is insignificant....
Did article mention that...no..

Forget all this talk....France is just paranoid their stronghold on francophone countries will soon be dismantled.....
Even the chairperson of the board, an Ivorian has agreed the indictment should be squashed....
During the panel investigation, none of the whistleblowers came out to testify, they neither sent credible facts to back their claim to the panel....
Adesina already said he donated the 750 thousand dollars award to charity......
They ain't got nothing on him, they just using the media to discredit him.....

However, if he must go, then nigeria should insist one of the guys he brought to the bank as replacement....
The bank vp okonkwo and the former PENCOMM boss Chinelo are good replacement....
The stronghold of France on African countries must come to an end....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by gaventa: 10:04am On May 25, 2020
We all have to see ourselves as ONE first,we might come back home to start our ethnic whatever but out there we need to unite, it passes a message across to our enemies that despite our differences we don't give room for external forces having a hold on us.they know once we are United we will be better that's why they are always after us fighting each other.we really need to learn
a4cube:
This is a good advice but you know who always play the opposite. Did you remember Air Peace saga sometime last yr?

1 Like

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by Pascal9: 10:23am On May 25, 2020
Olominira:

To be honest with you, your level of international politics is extremely low. I would not be able to respond to all you wrote. Let me just correct just one big lie or lack of information there; The entire world actually wants China to drop "Developing Economy" but China do not want because they would loose a lot of trade benefits. Pls take your time and read articles on this. It's better to be properly informed before making comments on public fora
where did you get the information, China is still developing
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by Olominira(m): 10:36am On May 25, 2020
Pascal9:
the appointment of a Yoruba to head a reputable organisation like adb is disaster, it is its downfall, I have worked with them, believe me they fantastically and chronically currupt, fraud is in their DNA. I did not abuse anybody I only stated what I know.

Nigerians must always unite to fight off common enemy. The USA framed up Onyema for canceling deal of buying their flying coffin called Boeing MAX. Once US can't control you they would label you corrupt. People like us would find it difficult to believe anything US is saying about others, because USA is a terrible lying machine.
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by Olominira(m): 10:39am On May 25, 2020
Pascal9:
where did you get the information, China is still developing
Read what the guy I quoted wrote first
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by Charly68: 11:22am On May 25, 2020
Even if they send angels they won't find any fault ..they can't unmake a man of integrity..keep flying my brother while the wailers are busy wailing
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by 4Play(m): 11:34am On May 25, 2020
Olominira:

Nigerians must always unite to fight off common enemy. The USA framed up Onyema for canceling deal of buying their flying coffin called Boeing MAX. Once US can't control you they would label you corrupt. People like us would find it difficult to believe anything US is saying about others, because USA is a terrible lying machine.

SIRTee15:

Don't be fooled by the french media sudden concern about nepotism in Afdb....
France wants him out badly...
They will be the biggest loser if adesina returns as president....
He has decentralised the operation of the bank making it impossible for France to control from Paris....

Nigeria has only 4 senior staff members....check their names in my previous thread....despite being the largest shareholder.....something the article conveniently forgot to mention......
France on the other hand, has 65 senior staffs working in the bank....mind u their contribution is insignificant....
Did article mention that...no..

Forget all this talk....France is just paranoid their stronghold on francophone countries will soon be dismantled.....
Even the chairperson of the board, an Ivorian has agreed the indictment should be squashed....
During the panel investigation, none of the whistleblowers came out to testify, they neither sent credible facts to back their claim to the panel....
Adesina already said he donated the 750 thousand dollars award to charity......
They ain't got nothing on him, they just using the media to discredit him.....

However, if he must go, then nigeria should insist one of the guys he brought to the bank as replacement....
The bank vp okonkwo and the former PENCOMM boss Chinelo are good replacement....
The stronghold of France on African countries must come to an end....

You guys like using this emotion-laden conspiratorial style of argumentation. Everything is a conspiracy and allegations of facts are turned into questions of motive as Hannah Arendt would say.

Did he appoint his brother-in-law or not and did it follow due process? Same goes for the contract allegedly awarded. All I get is diatribes about French and US conspirators.

At the heart of it, the Americans (apparently, they are also part of the conspiracy) are saying that this should be investigated independently and not by the ethics committee. This is not too high a hurdle to accomplish.

All the things you say about French motives could all be true without being mutually incompatible with the claim that Adesina acted unethically. Corruption allegations are often used as a weapon to target our enemies - we see a lot of that in Nigeria. But the possibility of this does not dispel the need for a proper independent investigation, it makes it even more compelling for such an investigation to be carried out.
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by Cherez: 12:01pm On May 25, 2020
flyingpig:
Yoruba amaka kiss
Stop this rubbish
This guy is an achiever.
However, we Nigerians have a big fault: we always carry our families along in everything and when we do, due to sentiments we don't monitor them well or even restrain them.
Adesina will now stain his beautiful name for this.
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by Johnandv: 12:17pm On May 25, 2020
cosef:

Please shut it. If NOI or any Igbo was the one indicted by the US, your yorubas will be jubilating and masturbating. We've seen it severally with Iweala, Aruma Oteh and other Igbos whom you've slandered so badly. We are paying you back in your coin.

Adesina is thief, USA cannot make mistakes here. They have their facts.
Gbam!
Those snake think they can fool Igbos
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by Johnandv: 12:19pm On May 25, 2020
romenna:
Africans are still slaves.
Why allow America have a say in our affairs?

Shut up you Yorubas are thieves and your Adeshina should face the music if he's guilty. You think this is Nigeria where you loot as you like as long as you are APC member? Yorubas time is up. You people have out looted Abacha
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head by Johnandv: 12:20pm On May 25, 2020
Subduer:

[s]Not all Yorubas are anti-Igbos. And must Igbos always receive 100% concensus?

It's in the best interest of Igbos to SUPPORT Adesina NOW. It doesn't Yorubanise me, or Ngozi, to take a CONSIDERED stand for the benefit of everyone.

French people are trying to control the Eco currency, & they know that Adesina UNDERSTANDS what they're up to. It's our call in Nigeria. Not even Buhari should be allowed to SELL all Nigerians to SLAVE for the French Economy.[/s]

Shut up we don't care as long as the criminal Adeshina goes down we are happy.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

More Photos From Obasanjo's Meeting With Wike, Peter Obi, Makinde And Others / Keep Praying For Buhari – Jonathan / "I Stand With Buhari" Protest To Hold Alongside 2face's Protest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.