Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,545 members, 7,827,036 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:22 AM

800k A Month: Should I Travel To Canada? - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 800k A Month: Should I Travel To Canada? (7814 Views)

Which Country Can I Travel To With #1.5m / Can I Travel To Australia With N4.5 Million? / Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 800k A Month: Should I Travel To Canada? by Tumbulum: 1:15pm On May 29, 2020
800k a month and you want to leave? For what reason? Abeg continue with your business and increase your earnings.
Re: 800k A Month: Should I Travel To Canada? by Mcslize: 2:17pm On May 29, 2020
Scaredd:
I've noticed on similar threads seeking migration advice to Canada that almost everyone advises leave the country and I'm like "is it so good in Canada?

The only reason I want to travel to Canada or any other high profile country is to make far more money than I make in Nigeria.

Now, by the Grace of God I earn over 800k monthly with promising potentials for more. I'm 32yrs and planning to settle down next year, but with so many advises saying "leaving the country to Canada is the best choice", I'm so confused right now as per what's the best choice for me. I even watched a video where a guy living in canada said he spent upto 400k monthly on expenses.

So, I want to ask and need advise from anyone living in Canada. Would you advise someone earning 800k monthly in Nigeria to leave for Canada?

Your input is highly appreciated.

My little input: if your reason of wanting to relocate is to make more money, then you really need to stay back. But if it is for quality standard of living then move.

But you already said your reason is to make more money. I will advise you to stay back as I really don't see that as a realistic criteria to relocate.
Re: 800k A Month: Should I Travel To Canada? by Mcslize: 3:13pm On May 29, 2020
TrueNigerian300:

It is not about circle of struggling immigrant it is about reality I have people doing well for themselves and i dont think i know anybody that is living on government support as far as I can tell. Read my post well and dont be emotional about it. Just so you know I work in one of the 3 largest tech companies in the world. So I have seen Nigerians living large here and i have seen people struggling as well.
With available data that over 40% of americans cant cover $400 emergency expense in your delusion those americans are all lazy. The guy we are talking about here is not a struggling guy he is living better than most Nigerians abroad.

At the bolded why are you deceiving yourself Let start from salary what is the average in your so called UK? How much money do you make with all your mouth?? Can you show the guy if not us your salary and your apartment to tell him how large you live in the UK. How many of you in the UK earn 50,000 pounds p.a You can argue all you want this guy lives a better life than most Nigerians in the UK. Your type are people who the only thing they know back home in Nigeria is poverty you can dispute my claim with your payslip back home in Nigeria. grin grin grin. You are advising someone that lives as a freeborn in Nigeria and in a nice apartment to come and join you in your cubicle in the UK. SMH!!! My friends are all doing well trash you are talking about how many make 50k pounds p.a How many Nigerians do you know and have you met in the UK with all your noise?

You guys will never tell Nigerians all the shit you passed through and are passing through everyday you only sweetmouth for them in your illusion of living abroad.

One thing you should know is that the naira is quite weak right now. Right now the naira is N390 per 1$, N478 per 1£ and N429 per €1.

With that, if you look at it from a realistic point of view, the N800,000 op get only have value in Nigeria. If you convert that to the listed currency, you will find out that op needs to really save alot to go on vacation abroad due to the weak naira. And you know he won't spend naira during vacations. And right now, Nigeria banks will sell dollars to you above N400 per a dollar.

So you see, going by the exchange rate, N800,000 only has value here in Nigeria and the standard of living here in Nigeria is quite low compare to other places. To me, no amount of money can be equated to having a better standard of living.

6 Likes

Re: 800k A Month: Should I Travel To Canada? by blessedaunty: 4:49pm On May 29, 2020
Scaredd:
I've noticed on similar threads seeking migration advice to Canada that almost everyone advises leave the country and I'm like "is it so good in Canada?

The only reason I want to travel to Canada or any other high profile country is to make far more money than I make in Nigeria.

Now, by the Grace of God I earn over 800k monthly with promising potentials for more. I'm 32yrs and planning to settle down next year, but with so many advises saying "leaving the country to Canada is the best choice", I'm so confused right now as per what's the best choice for me. I even watched a video where a guy living in canada said he spent upto 400k monthly on expenses.

So, I want to ask and need advise from anyone living in Canada. Would you advise someone earning 800k monthly in Nigeria to leave for Canada?

Your input is highly appreciated.

It also depends on your kind of job. Do you have a job security? if yes then staying back is better, but if no then migrate.

1 Like

Re: 800k A Month: Should I Travel To Canada? by TrueNigerian300: 8:01pm On May 29, 2020
blessedaunty:

It also depends on your kind of job. Do you have a job security? if yes then staying back is better, but if no then migrate.
This is my stand and advise to anybody who wants to migrate. The guy you quoted was only shouting exchange rates up and down.Smh!!!
Now to the team do it for your children. I hope everybody saw how George was killed recently. I hope people can see the struggle of black lives matter where people are protesting everywhere and that is inside a country that brags itself as the leader of the free world. The leader of the free world can't guarantee the safety of black people so who will? What happened to George could have happened to any black someone was killed like a rat just like that and yet that is same place black people who are doing well want to run to.
If you think migrating is all the best you can offer your kids and in the end they will be one of those people that will be shouting and protesting that black lives matter up and down, rather than train them in Nigeria with the resources God has blessed you with so they can aspire and become whatever they want to be without anybody stopping them because of their skin color. Good luck to you!!!

4 Likes

Re: 800k A Month: Should I Travel To Canada? by Infomarshall247: 8:33pm On May 29, 2020
Make the move for your unborn children sake. 800k might not have same value in years to come considering the exchange rate hike, crude oil over dependence and lots more.
Re: 800k A Month: Should I Travel To Canada? by oludaniels777: 8:48pm On May 29, 2020
800k in Nigeria is very good.Im presently in the US which is not too different from Canada. Unless you are in the healthcare or planning to start a carrier in healthcare, you will do better staying in Nigeria. That your 800k is only a month rent here o. Besides all those certificate of yours are going to be useless here as you cannot get a job until you do their professional exams here. You are going to begin from the scratch. Don't take advise from those people on this forum that have not travelleved to or lived in these countries. Many guys are now coming back home to invest their money. Theres a lot of opportunity in Nigeria if you have small money to do business. If I were you I will stay in Nigeria and invest. You will be better off. Visit these countries regularly, have your kids delivered in them(Canada or USA). But if you are a Doctor or a nurse or planning to be one, and ready to study and pass their board exams, then by all means go.

6 Likes

Re: 800k A Month: Should I Travel To Canada? by sharpman1(m): 12:34am On May 30, 2020
oludaniels777:
800k in Nigeria is very good.Im presently in the US which is not too different from Canada. Unless you are in the healthcare or planning to start a carrier in healthcare, you will do better staying in Nigeria. That your 800k is only a month rent here o. Besides all those certificate of yours are going to be useless here as you cannot get a job until you do their professional exams here. You are going to begin from the scratch. Don't take advise from those people on this forum that have not travelleved to or lived in these countries. Many guys are now coming back home to invest their money. Theres a lot of opportunity in Nigeria if you have small money to do business. If I were you I will stay in Nigeria and invest. You will be better off. Visit these countries regularly, have your kids delivered in them(Canada or USA). But if you are a Doctor or a nurse or planning to be one, and ready to study and pass their board exams, then by all means go.

This is absolute nonsense!!!

Except you are an illegal immigrant. If you are in the US legally you will most likely be economically better than earning 800k in Nigeria.

Even if you do DoorDash, you can save half of that 800k after all living expenses every month.
Re: 800k A Month: Should I Travel To Canada? by Abuleoshi: 3:05pm On May 30, 2020
webmaster3:
If you are relocating to Canada as a permanent residence.. Then relocating to Canny is the best choice.

There is nothing better than giving yourself an option in life, the option of being a dual citizen which is what you would achieve by relocating to Canada as PR cannot be overlooked by 800k salary for 9ja.my reason below

If you are a skilled individual in a professional earning that in Nigeria then you can go to Canada and also excel over there and get employed, mind you your daily bills in Canada for the good life as well as tax would not give you an avenue to save as much as you are saving in 9ja when earning 800k.

But it's just a journey of 3-4years Max and you become a Canadian citizen.. Then you can move back to your 9ja if you wish and hunt for jobs.. You just 32yrs old and time is to your advantage...

I wouldnt trade being a dual citizen for anything.

Think about your family in the future. If you love 9ja so much then relocate back after gaining Canadian citizenship. Then you can even get married and give birth in 9ja and they would all be Canadian citizens
How you said it looks soo sweet.
It would have been good to tell him the flip side so he does not think it's all good in Canada and when he experience the not soo good side, he starts regreting leaving his 800k job in Nigeria for a life of uncertainty in Canada.
Canada is a nice place no doubt, fantastic place to raise a family, safer than American in terms of racism and Gun violence, good schools, good health care, quality affordable lifestyle etc.
But as a professional earning 800k in Nigeria, you might need to adjust your mind that you are practically starting your career afresh. I know senior bankers who moved to Canada to start banking afresh as tellers and contact center agents etc. Starting afresh at a very low position can be very depressing if the relocation has not been well thought out.
Also, the person relocating should have in mind that before CoronaVirus, it took a while to get a job in Canada for those who just relocated as they don't have previous Canadian work experience. Now with CoronaVirus, getting jobs for immigrants in Canada will be even more difficult.
The weather is another factor, Canada is very very cold, I was in Ontario for a month last year just before winter. I experienced the intro of winter and I will tell you canada is cold ooh. I was complaining of the cold then, people told me the real cold weather has not started self. If it happens you will be living in Winnipeg or "winterpeg" as they call it, prepare for winter as low as -35 degrees (minus thirty five degrees) . Your normal freezer maximum gets to -20 degrees, imagine living in a weather colder than a freezer.
Aside this issues, go and do exploratory visits before you leave you 800k job in Nigeria to relocate to Canada. If you have family there to assist in your settling down, that will help you alot, if not, things might be a bit difficult initially.

1 Like

Re: 800k A Month: Should I Travel To Canada? by Abuleoshi: 4:21pm On May 30, 2020
Influential101:
Everytime, people will say travel first and go and see... just go on a visit, bla bla bla...who go give am visa? as if 800k per month is such a big deal.. even people earning more find it hard getting visas now..

That 800k seems big now because he never marry nor have kids..

Do what pleases you but don't think that 800k per month will give you visas to everywhere...
800k monthly salary is more than enough to have a good travel history that will enableanybody get Visa to any country of the world. You just need to know how to go about it.
A Senior Manager in my office whose monthly salary is over 2 million Naira after Tax got denied Schengen visa recently. This is aside he has a valid UK visa and US visa. But he didn't include travel ticket in his Schengen visa application, hence the denial.
There are steps to this visa matter, you need to follow it meticulously else you get denied.
My advice, for someone who earns 800k monthly aspiring to get a Canadian or USA, travel to other places like SA, Dubai and Europe before trying America or Canada. They don't like giving first time travelers, but they give in very few cases.
Next, during your US or Canadian visa application, follow ALL instructions and submit enough documents to show you have strong ties with Nigeria to make you come back home after your visit.
Documents like Employment letter, promotion letters if any, letter of identification from Employer and intention to visit that particular country, pay slip, tax clearance, bank statement for 6 months, pension statement, landed property documents, addmision letter if you are currently running any academic program in Nigeria, copies of old and existing visas.
Lastly, above all the documents mentioned above, for Canadian Visa, get an Invitation letter from a Canadian Citizen or PR holder. The person sending you the invite MUST be very comfortable financially (na who don chop belleful, dey call person to come chop). For America, hotel reservations with plenty money in your statement of account plus other supporting documents would secure you a US visa before Trump. Now, I doubt hotel reservation still holds the Golden key to American visa.
800k monthly salary is not a bad start. I got my US and Canadian visas when my monthly salary was not close to 800k. But I followed the process gradually.

1 Like

Re: 800k A Month: Should I Travel To Canada? by themaestro08(m): 5:16pm On May 30, 2020
May I ask what your source of income is?

Guys here are struggling with 15k its crazy
Re: 800k A Month: Should I Travel To Canada? by themaestro08(m): 5:18pm On May 30, 2020
Scaredd:

Anyway I am a business man

What type of business?

Pardon my curiosity
Re: 800k A Month: Should I Travel To Canada? by varnaija(f): 9:30pm On May 30, 2020
Scaredd:

Anyway I am a business man
Do you mind sharing the business you do. Just the generic name, nothing to expose the niche. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Two Dead, One Injured In Ogun Road Crash / Arik Air Begins Lagos-london Flight November, Will You Use The Service? / Moving To Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.