Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,060 members, 7,859,820 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 07:36 PM

What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? - Family (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? (33755 Views)

Poll: Can a woman who can't cook be a good wife?

Yes: 58% (41 votes)
No: 41% (29 votes)
This poll has ended

Ladies, Can You Marry A Guy Who Can't Cook? / A Lesser Evil: A Wife Who Can't Cook Or A Wife Who Can't Manage The Home / Any Woman That Can't Cook Is Highly Irresponsible. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (22) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by proverbial: 5:50pm On Jun 13, 2007
lol, mysogynist wannabe, how pathetic.

"wesley":
@Topic: If your wife doesn't cook for you and only cook for herself and kids, it's a sign that she probably doesn't love you or she wants you to be more responsible. do your part and she'll do hers. it's 50: 50.
must be another feminist. aren't you a bit too young for that?
keep dreaming of 50-50. it'll happen in the afterlife.
in the mean time, if you are upset about being mistreated by men, speak your mind, in fact I created a thread just for 'your likes'
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by WesleyanA(f): 5:57pm On Jun 13, 2007
proverbial:

lol, mysogynist wannabe, how pathetic.

keep dreaming of 50-50. it'll happen in the afterlife.
in the mean time, if you are upset about being mistreated by men, speak your mind, in fact I created a thread just for 'your likes'

haha. I'm definitely a feminist and damn proud to be one. lol
I'm not upset about being mistreated by men. I grew up surrounded by respectful males. and i still am surrounded by respectful males (in real life)
I just replied your thread and made a suggestion to you you on it. lol

this is just like asking me if i'm too young to prefer orange juice over icecream.
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by proverbial: 6:02pm On Jun 13, 2007
@Proverbial
Don't you think you're missing it somewhere. You refused to get the gist. The people clammouring for 50-50 never told you that they do not know how to cook.(whether they show their culinary skills or not)
nor did they tell me they know how to cook. still doesn't diminish from the truth that you speculated.

The group of people clamouring for 50-50 are either those:
1. That knows how to cook, but are not ready to take up the full responsibility in their matrimonial home(for reasons best known to them).

OR

2. Those that do not know how to cook at all(@Topic) and are not ready to learn
how about those that don't know how to cook & have no interest in learning?
as you can see, it's not either or, don't bifurcate. you can't simply break it down into 2 scenarios.
So, my assertion is still correct, it's now a question of how many of these ladies are ready to take up the responsibility in their homes.  It's a matter of choice.
not really.you said outrightly that & I quote
"olowotee":
Bet you, most of the ladies here clamouring for 50-50 are REAL WOMEN, that know how to cook
which @ that time, was pure speculation. it was/is possible that those who responded do not/did not know how to cook.
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by anabell(f): 6:03pm On Jun 13, 2007
@proverbial, who said 50-50 is an after life thing pls speak 4 urself.
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by WesleyanA(f): 6:05pm On Jun 13, 2007
anabell:

@proverbial, who said 50-50 is an after life thing please speak 4 yourself.

lmao. i keep telling him that not all men are the same/ think alike.
just as not all women are the same.
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by PapaBrowne(m): 6:10pm On Jun 13, 2007
She gat 2 know how 2 cook gooood!! I'm a great cook.She gat 2 be better than me.
That don't mean she'd have 2 live the rest of her life in the kitchen.

However, if a woman can't cook, then I believe there's a whole lot other things she can't do.
Naaah , she's not a real woman!! Little or no value.
Any woman that has brains, should cook good.
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Creamish(f): 6:12pm On Jun 13, 2007
A woman who cant cook stands a great chance at loosing her husband. . and i wont blame him undecided
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by proverbial: 6:13pm On Jun 13, 2007
haha. I'm definitely a feminist and damn proud to be one. lol
not that it merits a noticeable award.
I'm not upset about being mistreated by men.
your post hinted that you're typifying certain men as being women cargos.
I grew up surrounded by respectful males. and i still am surrounded by respectful males (in real life)
shocker, I thought you grew up with men who played video games while your mother cooked in the kitchen & prepared them meals to eat.
I just replied your thread and made a suggestion to you you on it. lol
I'm glad, I'll read up on it pronto.
this is just like asking me if i'm too young to prefer orange juice over icecream.
doesn't quite answer my question does it? don't fault me for trying to understand where your bitterness and outcry about male-superiority stems from.
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by WesleyanA(f): 6:14pm On Jun 13, 2007
Creamish:

A woman who can't cook stands a great chance at loosing her husband. . and i wont blame him undecided

what would he marry her for in the first place.
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by proverbial: 6:14pm On Jun 13, 2007
@proverbial, who said 50-50 is an after life thing please speak 4 yourself.
I did speak for myself madam. It is an opinion(I apologize if it didn't seem like it), not a statement of fact.
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by proverbial: 6:17pm On Jun 13, 2007
creamish, thank you, some day these teenagers/young-adults will understand. undecided
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by WesleyanA(f): 6:24pm On Jun 13, 2007
proverbial:

not that it merits a noticeable award.your post hinted that you're typifying certain men as being women cargos.shocker, .I'm glad, I'll read up on it pronto.doesn't quite answer my question does it? don't fault me for trying to understand where your bitterness and outcry about male-superiority stems from.

what was your question again? if i'm too young to be a feminist?
i though i answered that. It was a stupid question. that was my answer.

I thought you grew up with men who played video games while your mother cooked in the kitchen & prepared them meals to eat

if this was the case, then the likelihood of me being a feminist will be lessened. except if i was opinionated like one of those few, rare female writers of the 18th century . but i think i definitely am opinionated.

no males in my house is allowed to play video games while the women are cooking. they are either washing the dishes or sweeping. lol
my family isn't liberal like me but weren't that conservative either.

my bro cooks good though. not better than me 'cause i'm older and more experienced.
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by anabell(f): 6:28pm On Jun 13, 2007
@wasleyana.word
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by proverbial: 6:38pm On Jun 13, 2007
what was your question again? if i'm too young to be a feminist?
i though i answered that. It was a stupid question. that was my answer.
I disagree.  it is only a stupid question because you can only seem to offer an obstinate response.
I think you should be more concerned about your studies/getting your nails done/socializing with friends than engaging in nasty discussions that can ensue from feministic approach to some questions.

if this was the case, then the likelihood of me being a feminist will be lessened.
in that case, I'm starting to understand where your feminism comes from.
except if i was opinionated like one of those few, rare female writers of the 18th century . but i think i definitely am opinionated.
are all men to be blamed for the existence/lack there of "female writers in the 18th century."  of course you're opinionated, you're here sharing your opinions are you not. oh the power of freedom.

no males in my house is allowed to play video games while the women are cooking.
is this an established rule of thumb, or is that the feminist in you speaking?
you'd probably whine that the men shouldn't be playing games while your mom is in the kitchen fixing them a hot plate (if i'm correct).
heck you might cane them for being so inconsiderate.

my bro cooks good though. not better than me 'cause i'm older and more experienced.
he does? so does mine, i'm sure he's a better cook than you are as well. seems we have something in common. maybe it's not such a bad idea if feminists date/end up married to anti-feminists? interesting.
cheers, I'm leaving the house for some minutes. wink
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by WesleyanA(f): 6:59pm On Jun 13, 2007
proverbial:

in that case, I'm starting to understand where your feminism comes from.are all men to be blamed for the existence/lack there of "female writers in the 18th century."

the society wasn't favorable to women then. There are some societies in today's world that still aren't favorable to women. esp. the ultra conservative societies.

I disagree. it is only a stupid question because you can only seem to offer an obstinate response.

it's a stupid question because there's no certain age for becoming a feminist.
people form their opinions and ideals from whatever age they gain the capacity to/ are smart enough to.

some people are feminists because they grew up around feminists and some people become feminists because they feel that's what benefits then, others are feminists for other reasons.

but there definitely isn't a rule that says you have to be (insert age here) to have your opinions about things.

I think you should be more concerned about your studies/getting your nails done/socializing with friends than engaging in nasty discussions that can ensue from feministic approach to some questions.

I have my priorities and know what is right for me.
my nails are done, i just returned some books to the library, i'll call some friends later on in the afternoon.
thanks for acknowledging that this is a disgusting topic.

is this an established rule of thumb, or is that the feminist in you speaking?
you'd probably whine that the men shouldn't be playing games while your mom is in the kitchen fixing them a hot plate (if i'm correct).
heck you might cane them for being so inconsiderate.

It's inconsiderate according to my parents. no work, no food. that's the rule at my house.
nobody is anybody's slave at my place. unless it's your birthday or some special occasion then others can do stuff for you. lol

there are no "canes" in my house.

he does? so does mine, i'm sure he's a better cook than you are as well. seems we have something in common. maybe it's not such a bad idea if feminists date/end up married to anti-feminists? interesting.

yeah. he does. even my dad knows how to cook.
But i'm the best cook in my house (not bragging). lol

definitely a bad idea for a feminist to marry an anti-feminist. unless one or the other changes his/her position.
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by proverbial: 8:21pm On Jun 13, 2007
it's a stupid question because there's no certain age for becoming a feminist.
Practical feminism at such a tender age can be detrimental to your health, it is very stressful. Now honey, i'm only looking out for your best interest.
I dare you try it at large, especially at your school(assuming you're in a reputable college)
people form their opinions and ideals from whatever age they gain the capacity to/ are smart enough to.
Of course, I don't disagree with you. If you don't mind, state some reasons why you're a proud feminist.
Refrain from the male bashing argument of superiority/opression. yes society advances, I'm sure you have seen drastic changes in the way women are being treated now.

some people are feminists because they grew up around feminists and some people become feminists because they feel that's what benefits then, others are feminists for other reasons.

but there definitely isn't a rule that says you have to be (insert age here) to have your opinions about things.
at least they have their reasons,
what are yours?
Have you been wronged so badly by men that you feel the government, or men, must serve some penalties.

I have my priorities and know what is right for me.
my nails are done, i just returned some books to the library, i'll call some friends later on in the afternoon.
thanks for acknowledging that this is a disgusting topic.
don't flatter yourself. it might be disgusting to you, considering your marital status & age, in due time(if you decide to get married, especially to a cultural Nigerian man) you'll understand what people like Creamish have been whispering.

It's inconsiderate
thanks for acknowleding my correctness, I thought as much
according to my parents. no work, no food. that's the rule at my house.
I can pick at that rule, but why bother since you didn't expantiate?
Must a 5-year-old for example work? before being fed?
oops I'm sorry, age is but a number.
yeah. he does. even my dad knows how to cook.
But i'm the best cook in my house (not bragging). lol
I wonder what your mom has to say about this.
Just wondering, how often does Dad get in the kitchen to cook for the family,
oops, what was I thinking, according to you it is wrong.
the rule in your family is "nobody is anybody's slave" (meaning get your buttocks in the kitchen and cook your own expletive dish).
what dishes are you skilled at cooking by the way(I mean what & what are in your repertoire).

definitely a bad idea for a feminist to marry an anti-feminist. unless one or the other changes his/her position.
very unlikely. that's too bad, I was starting to like you(sarcasm on).

on a more serious note, whether or not you & others agree.
Men undeniably appreciate women who cook them meals/food to eat. These men might not say thank you, but I will have you know that they are very thankful.
Marriages can be put to shame by women who refuse to cook, or play the feminism card.
I shouldn't dare begin to list some of the things my mom does for my dad. Feminists would parade this thread and call for his extermination.
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by WesleyanA(f): 9:00pm On Jun 13, 2007
what you just stated is one of the major misconception about feminism.
a lot of people assume feminists to be some heavy set women screaming up and down the street and terrorizing the males.

anybody who believes in equality of the sexes is a feminist. at least that's my definition.
just as you don't have to be a politician or president to claim republican or democrat. you don't have to organize rallies etc to claim feminist.

can you point to me anywhere on this thread where i've engaged in "male bashing" ?

If you don't mind, state some reasons why you're a proud feminist.

I greatly admire the many feminists i see and hear around me and how they're responsible for some of the changes in society now that I and many females take for granted.
feminist females are more likely to take on leadership positions and succeed at it than anti-feminists females.

what are yours?
Have you been wronged so badly by men that you feel the government, or men, must serve some penalties.

i just have my ideals.
I'm a liberal and support women rights. it helps that I'm a female myself.
i'm not anti-male or anything.

don't flatter yourself. it might be disgusting to you, considering your marital status & age, in due time(if you decide to get married, especially to a cultural Nigerian man) you'll understand what people like Creamish have been whispering.

what do you mean by "cultural nigerian man"? you mean Fresh of the Boat from Nigeria?

yeah i know it's part of nigerian culture. this sit at home and cook for your head of the family husband. but that won't be happening when I get married.

yeah my mom cooks most of the time 'cause my dad works long hours and it won't be fair for him to come home from work and start cooking. plus they're not liberal anyways.
my dad cooks usually when my mom's really busy or when he feels like it. like twice a week.
but even if my mom refuse to cook doesn't mean she has no value. i guess he didn't marry her because of food/ cooking.
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by RichyBlacK(m): 9:10pm On Jun 13, 2007
tete:
@RichyBlack

Thanks so much for your prayers. May God grant you your heart desires as well.

Take it easy on the ladies sha. Its not worth the bother.

@tete, you're welcome!
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by proverbial: 9:25pm On Jun 13, 2007
a lot of people assume feminists to be some heavy set women screaming up and down the street and terrorizing the males.
If a lot of people are doing this, there must be something wrong. Maybe they are.

anybody who believes in equality of the sexes is a feminist. at least that's my definition.
I do not agree with your definition.
I agree with the idea of giving/granting women equal opportunities(although it'd be hard to reach this), I don't know about equality of the sexes, a man is not a woman.
can you point to me anywhere on this thread where i've engaged in "male bashing" ?
oh I'll be glad to refresh your memory.
You said something about I-man, davidylan, RichyBlack, & proverbial being misogynists aka women haters. How quickly you forget.

i just have my ideals.
I'm a liberal and support women rights. it helps that I'm a female myself.
i'm not anti-male or anything.
You're streaming down that bolded part at the moment, try to refrain from extremities, I mean I hope you don't get sucked in-too-deep, or get carried away.
What do you know, I support women rights myself. cheers.
what do you mean by "cultural nigerian man"? you mean Fresh of the Boat from Nigeria?
I'm not refering to a FOB, although I see nothing wrong with such person(s).

yeah i know it's part of nigerian culture.  this sit at home and cook for your head of the family husband. but that won't be happening when I get married.
That's good to know, I most certainly won't be marrying your likes.  Not that I'm expecting my wife to sit at home.

yeah my mom cooks most of the time
lolol, can you repeat this to yourself and let it sink in honey?
'cause my dad works long hours and it won't be fair for him to come home from work and start cooking. plus they're not liberal anyways.
excuses. but hey, mom cooks most of the time. cheers, kudos to your family for keeping it real.
but even if my mom refuse to cook doesn't mean she has no value.
i can reason with you here.  a woman who refuses to cook isn't worthless, that's very harsh.
he didn't marry her because of food/ cooking.
no he didn't. but there are conventions to be followed(my opinion), women at least where I'm from, are expected/supposed to cook for the family.
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by RichyBlacK(m): 9:35pm On Jun 13, 2007
anabell:
@richyblack, i tot maneater asked u a simple question?so what is it with the insults.Grow up man! and quit rantin like an old bitch, i have been readin your post and they all suck and u suck

i can u see u are wrestling with a woman gosh that shows how shallow your brain is, go out and wrestle with real men bloody weaklin sucker richyblack

Na wa oooh! Omo boy dey jeje na so were come find im trouble.

@anabell, you're just a loud, angry, biatch! What's your problem? Is it that time of the month or did someone stick it in you too deep? Didn't your 50-50 ass see that the swine attacked me first for expressing my views? Or are you saying I should just keep quiet because she's a woman feminist? Express your view and I'll express mine. If you direct your guns towards me, I'll reciprocate. No shaking.

Go see a shrink, I heard they help people like you wash of all the negative energy countless men have left in you. After that, hopefully, you'll be a happier person. For now though, go sit your sad pathetic ass somewhere. Or better still, go learn to cook lafun and abula. grin

Removing an uninvited swine from the mud pit
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by WesleyanA(f): 9:36pm On Jun 13, 2007
@proverbial,

If this is what you call male bashing ------>

not all men are the same anyways. the active men on this thread are one kind:
they're the misogynists wannabe. davidylan especially.

and there are other kinds. the sweet ones, like this guy cheesy

cooking is just something else,
not something i look for in a woman,
A woman who can't cook has a 99% value to me,

then i have every rights to call you a female basher.

What do you know, I support women rights myself. cheers.

an anti-feminist who supports female rights. ha you're funny.
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Nobody: 9:38pm On Jun 13, 2007
We are just going round and round in circles essentially communicating nothing.

WesleyanA:

No. A lot of people rightly percieve "feminists" as a set of unrealistic women building castles in the air and essentially struggling over nothing.

WesleyanA:

just as you don't have to be a politician or president to claim republican or democrat. you don't have to organize rallies etc to claim feminist.
Even our ordinary customary laws affirms equality of all sexes. Women are not denied rights to work, school, raise a family, vote, drive, swim all on the basis of their sex. We already have divorce and child custody laws that are heavily biased towards women, yet men are not crying for equality. So what "equality" are you struggling for that you dont already have?

WesleyanA:

This is a no brainer!

WesleyanA:

I greatly admire the many feminists i see and hear around me and how they're responsible for some of the changes in society now that I and many females take for granted.
What changes did they make that were not already there?

WesleyanA:

feminist females are more likely to take on leadership positions and succeed at it than anti-feminists females.
Stuff and nonsense. My aunt is not a feminist yet she is a top manager in her company ditto for my mom!

WesleyanA:

but even if my mom refuse to cook doesn't mean she has no value. i guess he didn't marry her because of food/ cooking.
I am yet to see a man who married his wife just for her cooking neither have i seen men who value a woman on her culinary skills. This thread wandered off point light yrs ago when those who thought they knew anything about feminism (which unfortunately they are largely ignorant about) butted in.
That a woman can cook is merely a plus in her marriage. No one is advocating all women should sit at home and do nothing but cook!
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by RichyBlacK(m): 9:41pm On Jun 13, 2007
@WeslayanA,
Please state your views and do not refer to RichyBlack unless it is necessary (say you're trying to analyze a point I made, etc.). I do not want to start anything with you, so stop calling me names. I have never referred to you directly even though I consider ALL your views childish. So, leave me alone okay. I hope you'll appreciate this gesture. Thanks.
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Iman3(m): 9:43pm On Jun 13, 2007
RichyBlacK:

@WeslayanA,
Please state your views and do not refer to RichyBlack unless it is necessary (say you're trying to analyze a point I made, etc.). I do not want to start anything with you, so stop calling me names. I have never referred to you directly even though I consider ALL your views childish.

She's actually a child(teeny bopper). grin That's why I ignore her.
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by WesleyanA(f): 9:44pm On Jun 13, 2007
i've removed your usernames from my post. I really wouldn't like anything to do with you either.
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by debosky(m): 9:45pm On Jun 13, 2007
I-man did you just learn that word teeny bopper? naija and english shaa grin grin grin
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Iman3(m): 9:47pm On Jun 13, 2007
debosky:

I-man did you just learn that word teeny bopper? naija and english shaa grin grin grin

Apt description grin
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by WesleyanA(f): 9:49pm On Jun 13, 2007
you get to be a teenager once in your lifetime. i guess some people wish they could go back in time. lol

the word "teeny booper" doesn't even apply to me. at least learn the meaning of a word before using it. old men sha. they get excited at about everything.
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jun 13, 2007
WesleyanA:

i've removed your usernames from my post. I really wouldn't like anything to do with you either.

i'm still waiting for mine to be removed too.  
Looks like you just learnt the meaning of a "misogynist" in high school.  grin grin
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by proverbial: 9:50pm On Jun 13, 2007
wesleyan - an anti-feminist that supports women rights, what's new in that?
I don't commend women carrying signs, going around raging for freedom from opression, 50-50, male bashing, etc, but I respect their rights to be treated fairly, I hope this isn't too hard for you to understand.
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by Iman3(m): 9:50pm On Jun 13, 2007
WesleyanA:

Remove mine as well,teeny bopper  grin  grin
Re: What Is The Value Of A Woman Who Can't Cook? by WesleyanA(f): 9:50pm On Jun 13, 2007
davidylan:

i'm still waiting for mine to be removed too.
Looks like you just learnt the meaning of a "misogynist" in high school. grin grin

Yes i did!!! in tenth grade to be exact.
your name stays in my post as usual.'cause you're annoying!!! grin

wesleyan - an anti-feminist that supports women rights, what's new in that?
I don't commend women carrying signs, going around raging for freedom from opression, 50-50, male bashing, etc, but I respect their rights to be treated fairly, I hope this isn't too hard for you to understand.

my advice to you is to take out your dictionary and look up the meaning to the word "feminism"

fem·i·nism (fĕm'ə-nĭz'əm) pronunciation
n.

1. Belief in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes.

2. The movement organized around this belief.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (22)

Traditonal Marriage And Court Marriage / My Cousin Wants To Call Off His Wedding / 10 Signs The Man Wooing You Has Another Woman/ May Be Married

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.