Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,323 members, 7,829,803 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:57 AM

Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. - Religion (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. (69956 Views)

Ask Any Question About Jehovah's Witnesses Here / Fifteen Basic Beliefs You Didn't Know About Jehovah's Witnesses / Five Things You Never Knew About Jehovah's Witnesses. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. by MrBONE2(m): 1:42pm On May 31, 2020
iKingsley:
. Who says I can't eat Garri with fork and knife? grin
I
grin

Re: Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. by atoleybaba(m): 1:42pm On May 31, 2020
wisewordd:
Why would they commit such act? I thought they're Christlike, the actual Christians that married a responsible and God fearing partner that were both taught the truth and in the right place. You're making you guys seem perfect, but you know that's not true.
cos they are Christian doesn't make them perfect. No Jehovah's witness will tell u he is perfect.... Even king David committed adultery and murder!!!! Such things are bound to happen. But the koko is if u are willing to repent and truly repent oooo and avoid things that will make u fall back to such sin again will such person have the peace of mind he searches for.....even me myself wey they follow u type, I no perfect. I have done some wrongs. No one is perfect again no witness will tell u he is. But we know we serve a God that overlooks our shortcomings all we need to do is just give it a try to be Christlike....I hope I have been able to clarify that
Re: Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. by wisewordd: 1:42pm On May 31, 2020
Lostz:

how many have you seen? you don't judge everyone because of the action of few individuals?

the most important thing is that they don't tolerate it unlike many other religious group. they always cut off any member that is caught sleeping around from their midst
I know a lot. And I'm sure if people on Nairaland start talking, you'll know they're many.
Re: Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. by View01(m): 1:43pm On May 31, 2020
chatinent:
(c) All rights reserved.
Myth: Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe in heaven.
Apparently, this is not a new saying as people tend to say what they might have heard about the Witnesses not scrutinizing them whether or not they are truth.

Truth: Jehovah's Witnesses believe in heaven as the residence of the Creator of the Universe.
2. Myth: Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe in hell.
Truth: This is where people misunderstand themselves. Jehovah's Witnesses believe 'Hell' is the common grave of mankind. Witnesses do not believe in 'hell fire' as it is unbiblical, unless you'll show me where the original sinners -- Adam and Eve -- went to 'hell fire.'
Myth: Jehovah's Witnesses do not celebrate anything.
Truth: If you mean holidays like birthdays, Christmas etc., of course yes. Think: what is the relevance of Santa Claus in the bible? Do they or not have pagan origins? In fact, Witnesses commemorate the Death of Jesus as Jesus asked his disciples to do.
4. Myth: Jehovah's Witness do not speak in tongues.
Truth: Well, Jehovah's Witnesses speak many languages as they come from differing lands but do not involve in the ecstatic speaking performed today by religious leaders. The first century Christians who received the gift used it to preach to people (as the early congregants were filled with people from many lands), so they spoke a language and all who heard understood. Note: To preach. Is that what is done today? Don't throw caution to the wind.

5. Myth: Jehovah's Witnesses do not do blood transfusions and are wicked to see their loved one die.
Truth: Witnesses put much faith in doing God's will. Sorry to disappoint you, they love their children and loved ones. In fact, medical practitioners agree that it is not safe either, and no guarantee of living well or surviving as no blood samples really match another. Besides, there are other non-blood media. Coming to think of it, Witnesses put faith in the resurrection. Yes, so why worry of this wicked world?
Have more questions? Visit www.jw.org or simply ask them here constructively.
Honestly, d wat pp cal God nowadys maks me fill lik I no n serve a difrnt almighty God. We hav bcom so glued to religion n tradition dat hs med us lac comon wisdom. For me, most African religious leaders (pastors in particular who nw act lik Gods) hav beacon unadulterated business tycoons, scamming n misleading lots of persons under d umbrella of God's nam n making their so cald ignorant membrs bcom religiously fanatical. We shldnt b misguided by churches whos stylish paramount aim is directed towards digging deep into r pockets we might nt even hav and deceiving us with this so called religious doctrines. Wht God wnts 4rm us is v.clear; do gud, lov, serve him n be wit him in paradise. This misuse of God's nam is getting me really angry. God hav mercy
Re: Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. by joyandfaith: 1:44pm On May 31, 2020
Kleinjoseph:
The way this people who called themselves “Jehovah witnesses” behaves ehh. This blood transfusion thing naim weak me pass.
I can never forget Mama Precious. It was her delivery day she was rushed to this hospital where my mom works, she was my neighbor , she had lots of birth complications this made her lose lots of blood. In fact, she had broken water inside her it’s a very ugly situation that day you could see it all on the face of her husband. Even the cab that brought us to the hospital was blood flooded. Soon, the doctor said she has to go through an operation session but that she has to receive two pant of blood first. The man bluntly refused even with his wife and unborn child at the blink of death. We all keep begging and talking to this man for more than 40min he refused and soon the Doctor in charge got angry and asked them to leave the hospital while he goes home for rest. She died that day I hated that man till date for that incident. If y’all really have faith like you said then why do you use drugs If you had malaria why don’t you wait on the lord and continue attending meetings. Don’t you know drugs also contain some ingredients that isn’t 100% good for the body. Or if you said blood transfusions are cannibalisms act like most of you claim, then why do your girls rub makeups don’t you know most of this cosmetic ingredients are worms from graveyards?? Feeding on dead bodies.Although I’ve meet smart Jehovah witnesses who leave their environment to another place to have themselves treated without anyone knowing. Those ones get sense na. I know y’all wouldn’t listen to what anyone has to say but please if you’re in this situation I beg you let the person have his/her blood transfusions and you can disown them or dismember them. Just let this beautiful souls live please!!

that is hypocrisy. from what I know accepting blood is not a disfellowship offence but promoting it .
Re: Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. by Almunjid(m): 1:45pm On May 31, 2020
illicit:

Religion and politics are inseparable....
Religion as the opium of the masses fuels politics

Politics is worst. It leverages on salient and sensitive matters to control the masses for selfish reasons. Religion can do without politics but politics can't do without religion.

Religion (sword) is like a weapon used by the killer (politics). If u think that the sword is the problem and it should be scraped, the killer (politics) will invent other weapons e.g guns, arrows, poisons, nuclear weapons etc.
The problem is not the sword but the killer, the sword can be hanged for ages without hurting a fly.
Many years ago, swords were used to kill, today man has stopped using swords to kill, but people are still dying because man has discovered other weapons that are more effective than swords.

Politics may not use religion in an irreligious community, other things like racism, tribalism, regionalism, social class etc might be used as the opium of the masses. No nation or community without a soft point. That's y politics will never run out of weapons.

If a weapon was used to kill, who is to blame? The weapon (religion) or the killer (politics
)?

As long as selfishness, greed and envy lurk in the hearts of mankind, unjust killings will never cease to occur. The killer is forever guilty and the weapon used is innocent.

Peace!
Re: Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. by Angelfrost(m): 1:45pm On May 31, 2020
Sigh... I don't think the Op knows the meaning of the term "myth" or "misconception"!!..

Someone should please draw his ears and educate him. Smh.
Re: Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. by joyandfaith: 1:46pm On May 31, 2020
adebayour26:
About speaking in tongues, i once heard a witness (a lady) saying that people who speak in tongues are speaking gibberish and nonsense.
She said when the Apostles died, the Holyspirit went back to heaven and there's no such thing as speaking in tongues or Holyspirit on earth.

it is not true.may you misunderstand her.
Re: Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. by Mjbless16(m): 1:47pm On May 31, 2020
frankblinkz:
VERY SURE,YOU CAN MAKE UR OWN FINDINGS
I don't need to make any finding abt JW coz I'm a Jehovah Witness.
I asked that question because what you said wasn't true.
Re: Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. by Nobody: 1:48pm On May 31, 2020
wisewordd:
I know a lot. And I'm sure if people on Nairaland start talking, you'll know they're many.

the most important thing is that, they don't keep people like that in their midst.

only God can judge what is done in secret
Re: Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. by Sergioaguero: 1:48pm On May 31, 2020
SPEAKING IN TONGUES ONE THING 1CORIN 14
SPEAKING DIVERSE KINDS OF TONGUE ANOTHER THING ACTS 2

1 Corinthians 14:2-4, 21-22

For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.

He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.

Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

Lovelies1:
Christian speak in tongue to God and it meant for God and speaking in tongues his through the power of the holy Spirit and not by the speaker himself and let it stick to your � ear that never is it used to talk to man but only a man by Power of the Holy Spirit communicate the supplication of his heart to the ear of God alone who hears and answer

Ask yourself what actually is the meaning of "speak in tongues"

1 corrithians 12:10
Jesus spoke in tongue at the cross of Calvary and people are saying blasphemy speaking in tongues doesn't actually means speaking out of this world but using a language the mind of the speaker or anyone one close to him know at that moment 1 corrithians 12:10 made you feel to understand for one speaketh without understanding the meaning of the language he spoke with another through the spirit interpret and might later find out the language the speaker spoke in

A Yoruba man whom leave in a Yoruba community among Yoruba people might start mixing language uncommon to him and his community during prayer, probably Dutch, french, Arabic at the same time during an intercessory prayer

This also reminds guy of the purpose of mankind to him, everybody is one to God

I think I will create another thread for this
Re: Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. by wisewordd: 1:49pm On May 31, 2020
atoleybaba:
cos they are Christian doesn't make them perfect. No Jehovah's witness will tell u he is perfect.... Even king David committed adultery and murder!!!! Such things are bound to happen. But the koko is if u are willing to repent and truly repent oooo and avoid things that will make u fall back to such sin again will such person have the peace of mind he searches for.....even me myself wey they follow u type, I no perfect. I have done some wrongs. No one is perfect again no witness will tell u he is. But we know we serve a God that overlooks our shortcomings all we need to do is just give it a try to be Christlike....I hope I have been able to clarify that
My point is, you know you're not perfect, then stop condemning other people's practice. Don't give what you won't take. Stop doing what you say others are doing wrong and hide in the name of "nobody is perfect" that's Hippocratic. If I invite you to my church and you don't come, don't invite me to yours. If I can't come to preach to you at your house, don't come to mine. You guys should just marry yourself and grow your population. Stop trying to give people what you won't take.

1 Like

Re: Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. by IamAsiri: 1:50pm On May 31, 2020
Investnow2017:

So what do you achieve by speaking in tongues. And how do others benefit? And what is the purpose now, because there was a purpose for it back then in the first century.

Yes, Jesus Christ promised the holy spirit. But he was clear as to what that spirit will help his disciples to accomplish, Acts 1:8. Have you meditated on that?

It is for my edification.

The Holy Spirit is my teacher, my guide, my comforter. Shall I go on? And yes, the Holy Spirit gives a Christian POWER.
Re: Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. by Sergioaguero: 1:51pm On May 31, 2020
Try to compare this chapter and verse from common jehova withness bible, you wont find this verse like this

1 John 5:7-8

For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

And there are three that bear witness in earth, the spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.
Re: Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. by wisewordd: 1:54pm On May 31, 2020
Lostz:

the most important thing is that, they don't keep people like that in their midst.

only God can judge what is done in secret
So, let God judge the "idol worshipers" not you. And stop trying to look perfect because you memorize the Bible and see others as dumb and non Christians. Let God do the seeing and judgement. And stop sleeping around with non members. Tell your girls.

1 Like

Re: Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. by Nobody: 1:56pm On May 31, 2020
Narijoel:

Aunty stop your own denial, take responsibility for own happiness, accept help from people you care about you and stop blaming JWs on a public forum for your experiences in life. We try our best to promote peace and happiness in people, whether it works or not is dependent on the individual. If you think there is nothing you can do about what happened, then leave everything for Jehovah to set matters straight.
Thanks
I should take responsibility for being duped by brothers? I should take responsibility for cleaning up pro bono for you people? Oga, Jehovah will settle all of us. All I know is, I will never do business, or employ, or anything with jws. Safe bro.

2 Likes

Re: Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. by joyandfaith: 1:56pm On May 31, 2020
Blendy77:
Jehovah witness is just a controversial religion and they teach their followers to be very controversial human beings.
My Dad is a Jehovah's witness and my mum is not. I grew up with my Mum. My Dad refused to attend my wedding because according to him it's against his believe since I did not marry a witness and he is supposed to dissociate himsef from me and disown me because according to him their bible teaches them not to mix with unbelievers��� I no kuku send cos I grew up without him so nothing to miss but at least I honoured him by doing my traditional marriage in His village. Today my Dad depends on me to survive knowing fully well am not a witness. If I was the one not doing well and he is still very rich, he would have disowned me obviously. So as far as am concerned Jehovah Witness people are controversial people who only practice the part of their religion that is convenient for them.

jehovah witnesses are not controversial but some witnesses are fanatics they take some issues personal due to ego. I know an elder whose his daughter was impregnated by one witness. he wrote that he did not want to serve as elder until he solved his family problems. after many years, he managed his family well. the man later married the daughter and he even became jjehovah witness. both the father and son-in-law are serving as elder and ministerial servant respectively. the point is that if the father had disowned the daughter and still remained as elder, that family will not be united again.
Re: Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. by WINDSOW(m): 1:57pm On May 31, 2020
You forgot to tell yourselves that y'all are hypocrites who distort the scriptures to suit your flagrant lifestyle.
Re: Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. by joyandfaith: 1:57pm On May 31, 2020
Tboymessiah:

Anyway you are right, there are still some Jw dat were nice to me, but not too close to me as the woman I stayed with. so I can tell may it was a forming love ur neighbor.

meanwhile, there is nothing I don't know about Jw........ am not a member but I know much about them.

you just know 10%. should we start?
Re: Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. by Nobody: 1:57pm On May 31, 2020
wisewordd:
So, let God judge the "idol worshipers" not you. And stop trying to look perfect because you memorize the Bible and see others as dumb and non Christians. Let God do the seeing and judgement. And stop sleeping around with non members. Tell your girls.

no one is judging the idol worshippers. there is a difference between preaching and judging. or did anyone forced you to listen?
Re: Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. by mitchyy(f): 1:59pm On May 31, 2020
frankblinkz:
I'M SORRY THIS IS NOT WHAT I MEANT BY OFFERINGS,I'M TALKING ABOUT THE ONE YOU ARE BEEN TOLD ITS OFFERING TIME,AND OUR BEAUTIFUL CHOIRS SINGS IN THEIR MELODIOUS VOICES,AND YOU DANCE ROUND WITH ALL TRENDS OF DANCE STEPS TO DROP YOUR OFFERINGS,THATS THE ONE WE KNOW AS OFFERINGS

We do not engage in such showy display of one's means of life. That is why i explained how we make our contributions.
Re: Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. by Narijoel(m): 1:59pm On May 31, 2020
chiddyok:

I should take responsibility for being duped by brothers? I should take responsibility for cleaning up pro bono for you people? Oga, Jehovah will settle all of us. All I know is, I will never do business, or employ, or anything with jws. Safe bro.
Okay, Madam. Take care.
Re: Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. by sacajawea: 2:00pm On May 31, 2020
MrBONE2:

I
grin
The legend is here!
Bros

Re: Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. by IamAsiri: 2:01pm On May 31, 2020
Lostz:

what is speaking in tongues?.... please back it up with a Bible verse.

does anyone else understand when you speak in tongues? if no, what is the benefit of your speaking in tongues? did the Bible not instruct you to remain silent if what you speak cannot be understood or there is no one to interpret?

no one is saying holy Spirit left earth because we can no longer speak in tongues. the job of the holy Spirit is not merely to help us speak in tongues

Maybe only a few of you who have not been totally taught still believe that Holy Spirit has left.

My praying in tongues is for my edification. Does it only have to be in the midst of people?
Re: Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. by Investnow2017: 2:01pm On May 31, 2020
justli:

Very simple. He asked Thomas to feel his body( the bones and flesh) as ghosts or spirits don't have bones and flesh.
He dipped his fingers where the nails have pierced his flesh, then he exclaimed my lord and my God.

Again, when the eye witnesses went to the tomb, the body was not there. The body was resurrected.

Question is, if Jesus didn't resurrect in his body, why was the pierced skin still there?

Are you aware that Abraham entertained angels in his day? He even cooked for them and they ate food. Are angels not spirit creatures? They are. But when they put on human body they act as humans. Read please Genesis chapters 18 and 19.
Apostle Peter said categorically that Jesus Christ was resurrected as a spirit person. Read please 1st Peter chapter 3:18. That Bible portion says that Christ was killed as a flesh but was resurrected as a spirit. That was why he could manifest or materialize and dematerialize. Spirits materialize when they take on human form, but can dematerialize to assume their spirit form. In this way, after his resurrection Jesus could enter into a room with all doors closed, as he did severally after his resurrection. So Jesus put on his human life as a pierced person to convince Thomas. If it was his real human body, there is no way the injury would have healed in just three days. Could it?
Why was the body not found when his disciples got to the tomb? The Bible had already prophesied that that Jesus perfect body will not get rotten - because it was a perfect body. Read Psalm 16:10. Not even one of his bones was broken when he was executed. All that to fulfill that prophecy.
Yes, there is a spirit body and there is a human body often referred to as flesh. Since our human eyes are limited, it cannot see a spirit body, hence spirits will have to materialize so that we can see them, as often did the angels of God in ancient time.
Re: Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. by joyandfaith: 2:02pm On May 31, 2020
Tboymessiah:

This is one of the reasons, I left Jehovah witness, am not myself then.....they behave strange, my character is not normal while with then.
hope you are normal and happy now
Re: Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. by Aystarz: 2:02pm On May 31, 2020
illicit:
Religion brings more trouble than peace

I love the JW though. 'Their way' seems realer than all these pentecostal shops littered around the country.
Re: Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. by mitchyy(f): 2:06pm On May 31, 2020
wisewordd:

Out of 12 apostles Jesus had, one turned out bad. He betrayed him. Were the remaining 11 apostles condemned because of the action of Judas? Was it their fault he went bad? Did the people then discredit the remaining apostles?

Everyone is responsible for their actions individually. The fact still remains that Jehovah's organisation does not condone any form of wrongdoing. Any wrongdoer is disciplined. The bible says "Everyone will carry his own load".
Re: Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. by joyandfaith: 2:07pm On May 31, 2020
1Sharon:

Stop lying on medical practitioners ! Which Doctor says this shit??
Cult.
can u name a doctor who says blood transfusion is safer?
Re: Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. by mitchyy(f): 2:07pm On May 31, 2020
1Sharon:

Stop lying on medical practitioners ! Which Doctor says this shit??

Cult.

Google is just a click away
Re: Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. by Narijoel(m): 2:08pm On May 31, 2020
WINDSOW:
You forgot to tell yourselves that y'all are hypocrites who distort the scriptures to suit your flagrant lifestyle.

All of you calling JWs hypocritics. Name your religious group, let us check something...
Nonsense and Ingredients
Re: Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. by joyandfaith: 2:08pm On May 31, 2020
mperornero:
JW are the most logical Christians I have ever met ... if not for their evangelism wouldn't mind joining them. but how man go dey carry bag up and down for hot sun.??

you can go in evening and early in morning. you can use telephone and internet to preach.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (44) (Reply)

Prophet Penuel Drives Over His Church Members With His Car / "Mount Carmel": Apostle Johnson Suleman Officially Opens The Prayer Mountain / Adeboye Addresses Joseph Obayemi & Odesola After Their Appointments (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.