Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,875 members, 7,813,982 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:21 PM

Please I Need Help On How To Manage A Child With Ss Gene - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Please I Need Help On How To Manage A Child With Ss Gene (1933 Views)

How My Brother Was Deceived Into Marrying An SS Lady / Are People With SS Genotype Known To Be Intelligent? / I Had A Child With My Brother's Ex Wife. Please Read And Advice Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please I Need Help On How To Manage A Child With Ss Gene by Uyi168: 7:19am On May 28, 2020
Bola146:
Sorry for that. All you need now is prayers. Also try medications
What will the prayers do...
Re: Please I Need Help On How To Manage A Child With Ss Gene by may01(f): 10:26am On May 28, 2020
Op, my best friend is also a carrier of this gene.
Water is the most important thing you can give to your nephew, he should drink clean water a lot, at least 3 liters daily.
Also, he needs to take his medications religiously. There are different medications he can take to manage his pain, but you have to be careful as most of them are addicted to pain meds, due to constant use. You should contact a medical professional, like have a doctor's number, whom you can call whenever he's having crisis, as hospital visits are financially draining.
You need to be gentle with him, because after some time, he's going to be frustrated with taking so much drugs and missing out on so much of his childhood activities.

Also, his family needs to be careful with his hygiene, as they are easily disturbed by bacterial infections. They need to be strong and gentle with him. Teach him that none of this is his fault, and that this isn't a death sentence.

God be with you.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please I Need Help On How To Manage A Child With Ss Gene by Nobody: 11:18am On May 28, 2020
armyofone:
You mean Abali ?

U get good memory shocked
Shit
I almost gave myself headache trying to remember this name kiss kiss

2 Likes

Re: Please I Need Help On How To Manage A Child With Ss Gene by Nobody: 11:21am On May 28, 2020
armyofone:
You mean Abali ?

U get good memory shocked kiss

I think it has something attached to it.

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Help On How To Manage A Child With Ss Gene by Greatzeus(m): 11:50am On May 28, 2020
How this is strong shocked I pray God give you the wisdom you need to take good care of him. It won't be easy but you shall overcome IJN

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Help On How To Manage A Child With Ss Gene by armyofone(m): 2:57pm On May 28, 2020
Abali1 wink

@Abali, if you are reading this, hi to you and I hope you and your family are doing great.

sassysure:

U get good memory shocked kiss

I think it has something attached to it.

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Help On How To Manage A Child With Ss Gene by Joyfulgal: 3:27pm On May 28, 2020
DBestDoc:

Yeah, lots of uncertainties but keep positive.

My heart goes out to the young man. It's a battle for survival, you guys don't give up on him. He can win this.

I've seen a case of SCD diagnosed for the first time at 39 in a first time mother in labour.

Of course she didn't accept she had Sickle cell disease 'cause she'd never been told or diagnosed prior and the investigation had to be repeated after much vexing and arguments from her.

It must have been very very mild for her to live with it undiagnosed till that age. Some people are that lucky.

From Family hx, 5 siblings 3 late, 2 surviving and she's one of the two survivors. Guess her other 3 siblings weren't as lucky.

LUCK LUCK!
God bless the Lad.

Thanks alot for the information. It will go a long way
Re: Please I Need Help On How To Manage A Child With Ss Gene by Joyfulgal: 3:29pm On May 28, 2020
DBestDoc:

@ Joyfulgal
The post above covers most of what you can do for him. Daily folic acid intake and malaria prophylaxis with any antimalarial prescribed by his Doctor.(we use proguanil)

You guys should try to keep him hydrated (drinking plenty of water) and protect against mosquito exposure/malaria or any infection at all.

Any kind of stress whether physical or otherwise is not for him, extreme temperature exposures should be avoided too.

For him, prevention is better than cure. Following these rules will help to reduce the frequency of crisis he will encounter but doesn't eliminate the crisis.

There are times he'll have joints and body pains mild enough to be relieved with common analgesics but some may be extremely severe enough to warrant stronger prescription analgesic.

He must be taken to hospital when he's sick for proper management and care(no home remedies), pay mind to his health complaints.

Some kids are taken in and out of the hospital quite often while it's a rare occurrence for others. it all depends on how much his family invests in his wellbeing and luck to an extent.

You guys give him the best you can, support him emotionally too and hope for the most desirable outcome.

*Hugs to him

Thanks a lot
Re: Please I Need Help On How To Manage A Child With Ss Gene by Joyfulgal: 3:29pm On May 28, 2020
frozen70:

Try and Google it and also get more details from the hospital and join the SS club to get more knowledge

Thank you
Re: Please I Need Help On How To Manage A Child With Ss Gene by Joyfulgal: 3:30pm On May 28, 2020
armyofone:
You mean Abali ?

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Help On How To Manage A Child With Ss Gene by Joyfulgal: 3:30pm On May 28, 2020
may01:
Water is the most important thing you can give to your nephew, he should drink clean water a lot, at least 3 liters daily.
Also, he needs to take his medications religiously. There are different medications he can take to manage his pain, but you have to be careful as most of them are addicted to pain meds, due to constant use. You should contact a medical professional, like have a doctor's number, whom you can call whenever he's having crisis, as hospital visits are financially draining.
You need to be gentle with him, because after some time, he's going to be frustrated with taking so much drugs and missing out on so much of his childhood activities.

Also, his family needs to be careful with his hygiene, as they are easily disturbed by bacterial infections. They need to be strong and gentle with him. Teach him that none of this is his fault, and that this isn't a death sentence.

God be with you.

Thank you
Re: Please I Need Help On How To Manage A Child With Ss Gene by Joyfulgal: 3:31pm On May 28, 2020
sassysure:

Shit

Thank you
Re: Please I Need Help On How To Manage A Child With Ss Gene by Joyfulgal: 3:32pm On May 28, 2020
may01:

God be with you.

Thank you
Re: Please I Need Help On How To Manage A Child With Ss Gene by Joyfulgal: 3:37pm On May 28, 2020
sassysure:

Shit

Thank you
Re: Please I Need Help On How To Manage A Child With Ss Gene by Joyfulgal: 3:37pm On May 28, 2020
Greatzeus:
How this is strong shocked I pray God give you the wisdom you need to take good care of him. It won't be easy but you shall overcome IJN

Amen
Re: Please I Need Help On How To Manage A Child With Ss Gene by Nobody: 3:44pm On May 28, 2020
armyofone:
Abali1 wink

@Abali, if you are reading this, hi to you and I hope you and your family are doing great.

Oh lala kiss kiss kiss
He is still here o but don't log in again.
Hope all is well with him.
Joyfulgal, take your time to go through his posts. He is an encyclopeadia of anything sickle cell or related to it.
It's well.

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Help On How To Manage A Child With Ss Gene by armyofone(m): 5:13pm On May 28, 2020
That's great - family first i guess kiss kiss
Good morning cheesy

@ Joyfulgal please keep it up!. You are a wonderful person - Sourcing for help for your family is commendable! Please no churching pastors for prayers. Your usual prayers is okay.

Make sure his bed has nets, drinking water to stay hydrated, good food, vegetables, fruits etc
Like sassysure said, read through Abali's thread.

sassysure:

Oh lala kiss kiss kiss
Joyfulgal, take your time to go through his posts. He is an encyclopeadia of anything sickle cell or related to it.
It's well.
Re: Please I Need Help On How To Manage A Child With Ss Gene by frozen70(f): 5:32pm On May 28, 2020
Joyfulgal:

Thank you
UWC

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Help On How To Manage A Child With Ss Gene by Joyfulgal: 8:50pm On May 28, 2020
sassysure:

Oh lala kiss kiss kiss
It's well.

Thanks dear. He is responding just joint ache and low PVC. He stays in warri but will deliver all the messages to my sister and ensure all measures are put in place.
Thanks
Re: Please I Need Help On How To Manage A Child With Ss Gene by Joyfulgal: 8:51pm On May 28, 2020
armyofone:
That's great - family first i guess kiss kiss
Good morning cheesy

@ Joyfulgal please keep it up!. You are a wonderful person - Sourcing for help for your family is commendable! Please no churching pastors for prayers. Your usual prayers is okay.

Make sure his bed has nets, drinking water to stay hydrated, good food, vegetables, fruits etc
Like sassysure said, read through Abali's thread.

Thanks dear

1 Like

Re: Please I Need Help On How To Manage A Child With Ss Gene by Nobody: 10:46pm On May 28, 2020
Joyfulgal:

Thanks dear. He is responding just joint ache and low PVC. He stays in warri but will deliver all the messages to my sister and ensure all measures are put in place.
Thanks
They should put him on folic acid asap.

You are a very good aunt. I have to tell you this.

Well done. kiss kiss
Re: Please I Need Help On How To Manage A Child With Ss Gene by MisterALEX(m): 11:07pm On May 28, 2020
Hello ma, are you in warri, Delta state? I can help you out Ma. I live in warri too, Ogunu to be precisely... I'll gladly help you out..I have a seed nutrition that has helped a lot of people in respect to their chronic health challenges.. Kindly, contact me on 08036733171. By God's grace your boy will be fine... God bless you
Joyfulgal:

Thanks dear
Re: Please I Need Help On How To Manage A Child With Ss Gene by Kobojunkie: 3:31am On May 29, 2020
Joyfulgal:
We just discovered my nephew has ss gene.
Please we need help on how to manage him. Food, supplements and herbs if possible.
He is seven years old
http://www.childrenshospital.org/centers-and-services/programs/f-_-n/gene-therapy-program/conditions-we-treat/scd#
Re: Please I Need Help On How To Manage A Child With Ss Gene by Abali2020: 6:06pm On Sep 23, 2020
armyofone:
Abali1 wink

Hi, thanks for your concern. We are doing great. I forgot my password and the email address I used to open the account seems to have gone off. I have tried my best to recall my password and I just can't.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Mum Want me To Marry My Cousin Husband Because Of Money / How Do I Deal With A Bragging And Annoying Mother, Not Mine, Someone Else' / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.