Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,977 members, 7,825,048 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:33 AM

Do I Tell My Boyfriend He's Not Smart ? - Romance (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Do I Tell My Boyfriend He's Not Smart ? (67647 Views)

'how Do I End A Blood Covenant Relationship I Made With My Boyfriend? He Refuses / How Do I Reduced My Love For My Boyfriend He's Taking Me For Granted / Lady Sends N125,000 Christmas List To Boyfriend & He Cries Out (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do I Tell My Boyfriend He's Not Smart ? by Dominatrix(f): 7:16pm On Jun 07, 2020
Make him learn from you in a subtle manner
Re: Do I Tell My Boyfriend He's Not Smart ? by Gee64: 7:16pm On Jun 07, 2020
Probably his macho physic
Girl, you can't have it all!
XXLMANDIGO:
What level of education did he attain & What attracted you to him in the first place, His Gorgeousness or his Mandigo?

Re: Do I Tell My Boyfriend He's Not Smart ? by Gabs7(m): 7:17pm On Jun 07, 2020
Just encourage him to read. And by reading I don't mean academic brouhaha. It also looks to me that he lacks "Street sense".
Re: Do I Tell My Boyfriend He's Not Smart ? by OmoOduduwa01: 7:18pm On Jun 07, 2020
This life no balance sha cry cry
Re: Do I Tell My Boyfriend He's Not Smart ? by emkz: 7:19pm On Jun 07, 2020
For those of us (like me) who do not know, can you please tell us about quantum theory and special relativity?

One thing I have noticed about genuinely smart people is that they don't make their smartness a subject of conversation. They even act like they don't know so as not to be accused of showing off or to intimidate. Actually, a person who shows off intelligence is very irritating and people would avoid him. I once had a mentor who always brought down colleagues and their work because he believed he had superior intelligence. I saw it as self-promotion and cut ties with him before he infected me. Truth is I knew he didn't know everything (as he told me he did), he was just a cunning manipulator.

Perhaps your boyfriend is not interested in the things you are interested in and that doesn't mean he ain't smart. Find a common ground or look for someone else.

2 Likes

Re: Do I Tell My Boyfriend He's Not Smart ? by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jun 07, 2020
Ijiot, your mate for una village don get grandchildren, u carry boyfriend matter for head
Re: Do I Tell My Boyfriend He's Not Smart ? by byemx06(m): 7:20pm On Jun 07, 2020
Snipespeter:
This life self, you try to hold a meaningful conversation with your girlfriend she will say that you are claiming you know it all.
You keep quiet for peace to reign, they say you are not smart. I tire oh

This life just know balance
Re: Do I Tell My Boyfriend He's Not Smart ? by VectorVee68(m): 7:20pm On Jun 07, 2020
You saying he is not smart because he is less of a talker is rather too much. I advice you read 1Corinthians 13. .. "Love bears all"
Re: Do I Tell My Boyfriend He's Not Smart ? by hustla(m): 7:20pm On Jun 07, 2020
Snipespeter:
This life self, you try to hold a meaningful conversation with your girlfriend she will say that you are claiming you know it all.
You keep quiet for peace to reign, they say you are not smart. I tire oh

The guy fit get wetin dey bother am, but na gist this one wan gist

2 Likes

Re: Do I Tell My Boyfriend He's Not Smart ? by olattech: 7:21pm On Jun 07, 2020
Olattech: How To Browse The Internet For Free Using This.... https://olattech..com/2020/06/how-to-browse-internet-for-free-using.html
Re: Do I Tell My Boyfriend He's Not Smart ? by apexx7037: 7:21pm On Jun 07, 2020
Re: Do I Tell My Boyfriend He's Not Smart ? by bankybobo11: 7:22pm On Jun 07, 2020
cynosuree:
Good morning. This issue has been bothering me for a long time, and I feel like it's too sensitive to ask for second opinions from people I know so I figured I'd maybe ask some strangers on the internet.

I've been with my boyfriend for about 6 months now and he's everything I ever wanted in a man. Physically, he's gorgeous, and he also loves me alot. He's kind, he's patient, communicates effectively and all. You know, all the good stuff.

But here's the problem, he cannot hold a conversation beyond "what are you doing" , "what did you eat" (and all that boring stuff) to save his life. I'm not even talking about intellectual conversations like quantum theory or anything, normal conversations about stuff that's happening around the world or around us. Anytime we try to, it usually fails spectacularly. He either ends up missing the ENTIRE point and saying something totally unrelated, or he just waits for me to say what I think so he can go "Yeeaaaa that's true" , leaving me really pissed.

He has absolutely NOTHING intelligent to contribute to any serious conversation, and this hurts me alot because it is a HUGE turn off and I'm slowly losing interest in him. It's a very tricky situation because he does/did well academically, he graduated with very good grades but that's about it...nothing more. I didn't notice it at first - before we started dating, or I would never have dated him because it is a deal breaker for me.

I have considered telling him but I don't exactly know how to approach the conversation without being rude/insensitive, I know telling him would really hurt him and I don't want that. I've also thought about learning how to live with it, because no one is perfect right? Maybe I'm asking for too much?

The latter option is what I've been doing and it's gradually killing me. I fear that I'll fall out of love completely with him and end up hating myself for ruining a good thing, because he's a really good guy .

I'd like to know what you think

On the contrary, the ladies I've dated don't have interest in such talks. I wish I had you for a girlfriend. we'd have rocked!
Re: Do I Tell My Boyfriend He's Not Smart ? by Salem17: 7:22pm On Jun 07, 2020
Ezemeiyogu:
@Op, this is simple.
Thinking, reasoning and speaking are all learnable processes. It only takes little effort to come by them if at the willingness is there.

Discuss this shortcoming in the most romantic way and most appropriate time. I believe that your man will be better in communicating what he already knows. Let him HV another reason to rejoice for ever meeting you apart from the ones he currently has - he learns from you!
Op listen to this fellow
Nobody is perfect
Talk about his flaws with him but the approach is the most important,if u take a mature or better still a romantic approach to it u would fix him and it relationship would be even more stable.
Let me assume he loves football,how about u start engaging him on that,even if u don't know any football star besides Kanu and Okocha let him do the talking,find out the things he likes and allow him express himself and even if it doesn't interest u just find a way to keep the conversation going.

2 Likes

Re: Do I Tell My Boyfriend He's Not Smart ? by tellwisdom: 7:22pm On Jun 07, 2020
Which yeye intelligent conversation are you discussing with him?
- Can I borrow money from you? And when he goes mute. U get angry.

Onye ara angry

2 Likes

Re: Do I Tell My Boyfriend He's Not Smart ? by saajus: 7:23pm On Jun 07, 2020
As this world is going, it seems God will eventually provide dust for all of us to build the kind of man or woman that we want. Just kidding.

You cannot find a perfect being. If you truly love him, help his weaknesses. Thank God, he's not exhibiting some crazy unnegotiable traits like anger, hatred, cheating. If he can graduate with flying colours, he's not dumb except if he bribed his way out of the University. I have a problem with people who are not flexible, believing they are living the best version of their lives at the moment. So, no room for improvement. But, if your boyfriend is someone always open to learning, challenge him. Like, buy a book, read it and give him to read too. Tell him both of you will discuss the book after reading it. I know many wives who initially hate sports but their men find ways to initiate them. I know men who hate local movies but their wives influence them.

Remember, some are book smart but not interested in current affairs. Some are introverts, they have a lot to say but just keep it to themselves. If your boyfriend is a rigid type, then he might not change. So, you may have to decide if you can cope with him. There is a difference between being principled and rigid. You want a principled partner, not a rigid type that will tell you my way or no way.

Remember, the next guy may be highly smart but promiscuous.
Re: Do I Tell My Boyfriend He's Not Smart ? by AfroKnight: 7:23pm On Jun 07, 2020
Ariza:
Me, I even want to know how people measure intelligence because these days if your area of interest doesn't go along with another's to converse on, it simply means you are Unintelligent!

Or if you aren't the type who talks about everything and anything, you are Unintelligent!

Please help oooo, must I know everything to be intelligent? grin

undecided

Re: Do I Tell My Boyfriend He's Not Smart ? by MrHighSea: 7:23pm On Jun 07, 2020
Lol.

One major thing that discourages me from toasting a random chick then.

She'll have an exceptional exterior but the interior is totally empty.

Big time deal breaker.

Op. Run comot. Except you're ready for more frustrations.

Such people need to digest random topics, build vocabularies, feel free with you (not shy or tensed), debate openly (without attacking the personality, "agumentum adhominem").

To be a good partner, be a good conversationalist. Talk with contents. No sign language.
Re: Do I Tell My Boyfriend He's Not Smart ? by SATANIIST: 7:24pm On Jun 07, 2020
this one is looking for an akproko. someone is thinking of how to hammer and u are here wasting his time with argument. please give me your bf number let me tell him to dumb u

1 Like

Re: Do I Tell My Boyfriend He's Not Smart ? by Oriafo123: 7:24pm On Jun 07, 2020
cynosuree:
Good morning. This issue has been bothering me for a long time, and I feel like it's too sensitive to ask for second opinions from people I know so I figured I'd maybe ask some strangers on the internet.

I've been with my boyfriend for about 6 months now and he's everything I ever wanted in a man. Physically, he's gorgeous, and he also loves me alot. He's kind, he's patient, communicates effectively and all. You know, all the good stuff.

But here's the problem, he cannot hold a conversation beyond "what are you doing" , "what did you eat" (and all that boring stuff) to save his life. I'm not even talking about intellectual conversations like quantum theory or anything, normal conversations about stuff that's happening around the world or around us. Anytime we try to, it usually fails spectacularly. He either ends up missing the ENTIRE point and saying something totally unrelated, or he just waits for me to say what I think so he can go "Yeeaaaa that's true" , leaving me really pissed.

He has absolutely NOTHING intelligent to contribute to any serious conversation, and this hurts me alot because it is a HUGE turn off and I'm slowly losing interest in him. It's a very tricky situation because he does/did well academically, he graduated with very good grades but that's about it...nothing more. I didn't notice it at first - before we started dating, or I would never have dated him because it is a deal breaker for me.

I have considered telling him but I don't exactly know how to approach the conversation without being rude/insensitive, I know telling him would really hurt him and I don't want that. I've also thought about learning how to live with it, because no one is perfect right? Maybe I'm asking for too much?

The latter option is what I've been doing and it's gradually killing me. I fear that I'll fall out of love completely with him and end up hating myself for ruining a good thing, because he's a really good guy .

I get your point. It will have been better if you know how to compliment this down side of your relationship that is you keep the chat flowing. Trust me it will bring out the deep side of him. I also think you should open with him on this issue because relationship should be about communication
Re: Do I Tell My Boyfriend He's Not Smart ? by Crochet: 7:24pm On Jun 07, 2020
What can I say , yes please do.

You can follow the link below on my signature for the latest news, gist , gossip and entertainment.
Re: Do I Tell My Boyfriend He's Not Smart ? by AfroKnight: 7:25pm On Jun 07, 2020
cynosuree:

for example, I see a controversial post on social media that's been attracting attention. I screenshot and send to him, asks what his opinion is. It doesn't even require too much brain work, just tell me what you think.

His typical reply is "It's cool, I guess"

So I try to get him to be less vague by asking him to explain what he means.

And then he says something like "different strokes for different folks I guess" and then proceeds to ask what I think

I tell him, and he agrees with me... Next thing, "wyd"

I fear you will come to resent him.

3 Likes

Re: Do I Tell My Boyfriend He's Not Smart ? by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jun 07, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Don't mind him jare

He is trolling me because of some argument in the politics section.
Lol I know. I checked the monicker's posts and realized he or she was only throwing punches . grin

I for fear oooo grin
Re: Do I Tell My Boyfriend He's Not Smart ? by pansophist(m): 7:25pm On Jun 07, 2020
jansonn:
Chai, this life!! And me dey find girl I can discuss politics, nature, medicine and all that intellectual sturvs and all the girls I meet are as dumb as a chicken only Instagram and billing, even the fashion they claim they know and the movies they watch, they can't identify Sylvester stallion, they still call him Rambo for goodness sakes!! Let's chat pls, am really sapiosexual and am done with these "pretty" girls

grin
Re: Do I Tell My Boyfriend He's Not Smart ? by intruder15(m): 7:25pm On Jun 07, 2020
cynosuree:

In life, it's not about what you say. It's about how you say it. What is his habit? What does he do at his leisure hours? Does he read books, news or watch programs/shows on TV that enlighten one about what's happening in the society?

To excel in school, you just have to read the textbook diligently. To excel in life, you have to read and watch everything you can come across. Is he willing to learn new things, read and watch stuffs online? If he is willing then u don't have a problem. You can make him adjust. You can refer a book, program or video for him to watch and you tell him that the two of you will discuss about the book/video in the evening. That way, you have helped him to be better in life. If he finds it difficult to read and comprehend whereas he flaunts a good certificate, you don't need a soothsayer to tell u he bought his certificate. That's when u can walk away.

2 Likes

Re: Do I Tell My Boyfriend He's Not Smart ? by madjune(m): 7:26pm On Jun 07, 2020
How old are you both?

Hmm. Don't know how to deal with this but, i could reckon you both might be products of these new private schools on Ibadan express.

First, when you go through school, reading to pass exams and have good grades; you lose out from the education of life.
And you'd have nothing to contribute when life throws the first tests at you.
Start by telling your boyfriend your observations.

Secondly, either get him to watch more CNN, read TIme magazines, get on Twitter. Etc.
Let him immerse himself in current topical issues.

Thirdly, push him into the streets.
Re: Do I Tell My Boyfriend He's Not Smart ? by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jun 07, 2020
AfroKnight:

undecided
I remember you evaded the question when it was thrown at you the last time, so are you ready to answer it now?

grin grin
Re: Do I Tell My Boyfriend He's Not Smart ? by DIVINEEVIDENCE: 7:27pm On Jun 07, 2020
Karlifate:

You sef get your own for body.
Na Sylvester Stalone, no be stallion.

Karlifate:

You sef no try. Na Sylvester Stalone.

Sylvester Stallone.

Dogooders.
Re: Do I Tell My Boyfriend He's Not Smart ? by Karlifate: 7:27pm On Jun 07, 2020
Ybaby:

Yea it does!

It is why men may marry very intellectually smart wives when they are poor but once successful they will step down to women with average IQ but who know how to make a man feel masculine and strong d these men will refuse to let side chic go.

Reason : intellect never made a peniis hard.

Men have two brains and once successful the dominant brain is the peniiss.

Dont believe me : just observe your surroundings

Starter wives are used for ladders and trophy wives are pampered.

Starter wives are intellectual and know how to help a man succeed and trophy wives know how to make a man beg (does not mean she is daft but she does not lead with intellect when with a man - she leads with femininty)

A woman should aspire to be both.

Intellectual for herself

Sexy for her man
shocked
I'm loving you already. cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: Do I Tell My Boyfriend He's Not Smart ? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jun 07, 2020
XXLMANDIGO:
What level of education did he attain & What attracted you to him in the first place, His Gorgeousness or his Mandigo?

I know what you are talking about. I had a girlfriend like that. She knows very little about the world. I can't discuss politics, current affairs etc with her because she is clueless.

She is a very good person, but I realized I'll be bored if we eventually get married, so I broke up with her. I'll advise you not to break up with your boyfriend. Keep him on the side as you consider other guys too. After dating other guys, you might realized you don't really need someone who is smart, but kind and caring.

Even though my ex is a good person, I didn't keep her on the side because she is a woman. I don't want to waste her time.

Re: Do I Tell My Boyfriend He's Not Smart ? by Iamgrey5(m): 7:27pm On Jun 07, 2020
Ariza:
Lol I know. I checked the monicker's posts and realized he or she was only throwing punches . grin

I for fear oooo grin
Don't mind the boy

hmm I don't have anyone on Nairaland now cheesy
Re: Do I Tell My Boyfriend He's Not Smart ? by apexx9066: 7:27pm On Jun 07, 2020
Re: Do I Tell My Boyfriend He's Not Smart ? by Chinomonkey: 7:28pm On Jun 07, 2020
Ariza:
No! she isn't stupid! neither is any other woman concerned for her relationship stupid. We all have reasons why we are dating who we are, if any one , a woman for that matter is feeling unsatisfied in her relationship she isn't stupid for feeling that way or for seeking advice on how to handle it.And if she ends it , she isn't stupid either.
Y'all should learn to respect "choices" , "freedom of expression" and freedom to "make decisions" . She doesn't have to force what she knows it won't last, To her Smartness is a big deal . That she leaves a "good guy" doesn't mean she wouldn't find a good and smart guy. And if she decides to make it work too, well that's her decision .

I wonder why you are so judgemental? And hey if he tells her what isn't good about her, they either work it out or walk out . No one should endure anyone, that's why it's called DATING not MARRIAGE. HAIN!
I can't stop liking your comment..well spelt out ma'am cool

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

She Is Sweet And Loyal But Her Ex Is The Biggest Threat. / Ladies/Guys: Checkout These Images Under A Microscope. / 'I Want To Have Sex With Wizkid’ – Beautiful Nigerian Lady

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.