Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,879 members, 7,821,067 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:46 AM

Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas (5076 Views)

The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins / Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship / Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by Etrusen(m): 3:27am On Dec 09, 2020
Ideadoctor:
yeye boy, dey there,Yoruba has been using your anscenstor as slaves for long through the Benin royalty that pays homage to ife the home of 400 deities,your anscenstor were used to feed these deities sequentially, and the slavery continues with your generation, Today Yoruba's has overpowered and overshadowed you in all ways,we are respected everywhere, Brazil, Cuba,Caribbeans, Togo, Benin, Ghana,Trinidad, Haiti and USA, our culture had soared beyond the shores of Nigeria,can you imagine,your people pussy has been the most offered pussy in Nigeria, Libya, Italy and Arab Emirates, dey curse una

remind me again how did the Yoruba in Brazil got to be there

please

1 Like

Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by Etrusen(m): 4:27am On Dec 09, 2020
the word olokun is and Edo word which have it absolute meaning in Edo language

in breaking down the meaning of olokun those that live in Benin can attest and deny to the fact that in Benin for example: the owner/seller of bread in bread is called Ole_ bread ( the "e" in ole is there because bread is sometimes called ebredi in Benin so "olo" sound can't come in because the first "e" in ebredi will remove the last "o" in olo to make proper sound of ole_bredi), the seller of fish is called ole_hen because fish is ehen in Benin ( what happened ole_bredi also play out here when pronouncing it).

the Olu_khunmwhun in ukhunmwhun is called that because he his the duke of ukhunmwhun ( so the "u"in olu is to make it sound well with ukhunmwhun thereby removing the original "o" sound in "olo"wink

the olo_ kaeben in Benin is called so because it refer to the Eben group ( so the "o" remain because it also start okaeben)

now to olokun, in Benin sea is called okun/ okun_amen. mystically or traditionally, it is believe that there is always a give being through which a particular thing exist so the binis believe that the being own/created etc the sea hence that was where the name originate

olo= owner/ keeper/ creator/

okun=sea

note that the last "o" in olo remain because okun started with "o".

learn more on Edo language and how letters are used using this link which is updated weekly

https://www.nairaland.com/6295144/learn-benin-language-online

I also saw people saying Edo use letters like un, mw, vw, etc so this keep wondering how those listed letters can start a word because am very much aware that those letters can only be found in the middle of a word. I think link will provide you with much information
Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by Ideadoctor(m): 5:09am On Dec 09, 2020
Etrusen:

remind me again how did the Yoruba in Brazil got to be there

please
Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by Ideadoctor(m): 5:10am On Dec 09, 2020
Mr man what do you mean?
Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by Ideadoctor(m): 5:12am On Dec 09, 2020
Etrusen:
the word olokun is and Edo word which have it absolute meaning in Edo language

in breaking down the meaning of olokun those that live in Benin can attest and deny to the fact that in Benin for example: the owner/seller of bread in bread is called Ole_ bread ( the "e" in ole is there because bread is sometimes called ebredi in Benin so "olo" sound can't come in because the first "e" in ebredi will remove the last "o" in olo to make proper sound of ole_bredi), the seller of fish is called ole_hen because fish is ehen in Benin ( what happened ole_bredi also play out here when pronouncing it).

the Olu_khunmwhun in ukhunmwhun is called that because he his the duke of ukhunmwhun ( so the "u"in olu is to make it sound well with ukhunmwhun thereby removing the original "o" sound in "olo"wink

the olo_ kaeben in Benin is called so because it refer to the Eben group ( so the "o" remain because it also start okaeben)

now to olokun, in Benin sea is called okun/ okun_amen. mystically or traditionally, it is believe that there is always a give being through which a particular thing exist so the binis believe that the being own/created etc the sea hence that was where the name originate

olo= owner/ keeper/ creator/

okun=sea

note that the last "o" in olo remain because okun started with "o".

learn more on Edo language and how letters are used using this link which is updated weekly

https://www.nairaland.com/6295144/learn-benin-language-online

I also saw people saying Edo use letters like un, mw, vw, etc so this keep wondering how those listed letters can start a word because am very much aware that those letters can only be found in the middle of a word. I think link will provide you with much information
Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by Ideadoctor(m): 5:17am On Dec 09, 2020
Three gbosa for you there,see fat lie,olokun is now an Edo word,just like you claim oba is an Edo word, you know what,I surrender, na you get am,see as you twist am sotay he the thing come make sense,walahi you are superb,best liar ever,shior
Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by Etrusen(m): 5:28am On Dec 09, 2020
Ideadoctor:
Three gbosa for you there,see fat lie,olokun is now an Edo word,just like you claim oba is an Edo word, you know what,I surrender, na you get am,see as you twist am sotay he the thing come make sense,walahi you are superb,best liar ever,shior

thanks for the making sense, at least we agree on something

the word is an Edo word

if it's also a Yoruba word I have no problem with it

can we now have a little sense of understanding that all African tribe came in touch one way or the other and as it is now none is superior to the other?

2 Likes

Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by Ideadoctor(m): 5:30am On Dec 09, 2020
Etrusen:

thanks for the making sense, at least we agree on something

the word is an Edo word

if it's also a Yoruba word I have no problem with it

can we now have a little sense of understanding that all African tribe came in touch one way or the other and as it is now none is superior to the other?

Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by Etrusen(m): 5:31am On Dec 09, 2020
Ideadoctor:
Mr man what do you mean?

I mean if the Yoruba in Brazil were originally there or were brought there
which one?
Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by Ideadoctor(m): 5:32am On Dec 09, 2020
I know greyboy can lie but I think etrusen lie the best
Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by Ideadoctor(m): 5:33am On Dec 09, 2020
Etrusen:

I mean if the Yoruba in Brazil were originally there or were brought there

which one?
Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by Etrusen(m): 5:37am On Dec 09, 2020
Ideadoctor:
I know greyboy can lie but I think etrusen lie the best

my brother ask anyone that have lived in Benin about my explanation

am not lying

I think there is matter how hard I try to explain you will always remain same

so its needless i explain
Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by Ideadoctor(m): 5:46am On Dec 09, 2020
They got there as a result of the Atlantic slave trade that engulfed the whole of Africa, the slaves were not only Yoruba but other ethnic groups, but Yoruba culture has managed to survive, do you know why? (1) Yoruba culture is superb and dominating,the whites can testify to these, because even some whites has fallen in love with Yoruba culture (2) The Yoruba Slaves were wise and cunning, I have said it a lot of times that yorubas are very wise,instead of losing their religion to catholism as other slaves did, the Yoruba slaves syncretized their gods with the Catholic saints, and here they are today no longer slaves,and they are proud to be called sons and daughters of oduduwa, because they know of the past and present glories of the yorubas,meanwhile it was the yorubas that were selling themselves to Europeans during the wars period, Benin no fit,your fathers sees yorubas as gods unlike you their rebellious children, don't worry we would put you in your place on nairaland and in the real life
Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by Etrusen(m): 7:00am On Dec 09, 2020
Ideadoctor:
They got there as a result of the Atlantic slave trade that engulfed the whole of Africa, the slaves were not only Yoruba but other ethnic groups, but Yoruba culture has managed to survive, do you know why? (1) Yoruba culture is superb and dominating,the whites can testify to these, because even some whites has fallen in love with Yoruba culture (2) The Yoruba Slaves were wise and cunning, I have said it a lot of times that yorubas are very wise,instead of losing their religion to catholism as other slaves did, the

Yoruba slaves syncretized their gods with the Catholic saints, and here they are today no longer slaves,and they are proud to be called sons and daughters of oduduwa, because they know of the past and present glories of the yorubas,meanwhile it was the yorubas that were selling themselves to Europeans during the wars period, Benin no fit,your fathers sees yorubas as gods unlike you their rebellious children, don't worry we would put you in your place on nairaland and in the real life

It is wise I leave you
Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by gregyboy(m): 2:29pm On Dec 09, 2020
Ideadoctor:
yeye boy, dey there,Yoruba has been using your anscenstor as slaves for long through the Benin royalty that pays homage to ife the home of 400 deities,your anscenstor were used to feed these deities sequentially, and the slavery continues with your generation, Today Yoruba's has overpowered and overshadowed you in all ways,we are respected everywhere, Brazil, Cuba,Caribbeans, Togo, Benin, Ghana,Trinidad, Haiti and USA, our culture had soared beyond the shores of Nigeria,can you imagine,your people pussy has been the most offered pussy in Nigeria, Libya, Italy and Arab Emirates, dey curse una

Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by Ideadoctor(m): 6:58pm On Dec 11, 2020
[quote author=gregyboy post=96895600][/quote]
Re: Olokun Worship is Indigenous 2 benins but some others were borrowed from yorubas by Ideadoctor(m): 6:59pm On Dec 11, 2020
you no fit talk

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Caption This (#capturelifefive13) / Ogori Mangogo Ovia Osese Festival / French Palace: Only French Is Allowed On This Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.