Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,159 members, 7,818,518 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:50 PM

My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner - Agriculture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner (26582 Views)

My Cucumber Farming Dairy (pilot Phase) / My Cucumber Farm Dairy / My Soybean Farming Dairy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 4:11pm On Jul 30, 2020
Update...
Pictures below of how the farm looks after spraying of herbicides to kill the weeds..

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 4:15pm On Jul 30, 2020
Grasses are all dieing, some corns are dieing, cassava is doing very well

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 4:21pm On Jul 30, 2020
And so the chemical helped us trim our corn population.. application of fertilizer soon..

Filling up our biological tank after a productive day..

Mama farm road food is definitely sweeter than yea a place came to mind right lol...
Fresh Akpu fresh veggies

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by HornyTave: 5:54pm On Jul 30, 2020
willybaby:
if that's your most important question before you go into agriculture you might not survive it

I'm into agribusiness already. I've some farms, plantain etc.

there should be a ROI in any business
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by HornyTave: 6:01pm On Jul 30, 2020
willybaby:
if that's your most important question before you go into agriculture you might not survive it

I've farms too. I want to know how profitable it is.
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 5:30pm On Jul 31, 2020
Ameboperoo:
This is the brand of Atrazine I used.
hello sir I totally forgot to ask the mixing ratio to water...
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by ublight: 5:58pm On Jul 31, 2020
ok
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by Sterlingsolutns: 8:37pm On Jul 31, 2020
@willybaby

Some weeds from the pictures are almost the same height as the maize. Please, in your opinion,

1. Do you think the pre-emergence application actually served the purpose? and can you possibly adduce reasons?

2. The maize plants suffered a bit of injury from the pictures. Which herbicide did you use that negatively affects the maize plants but did not affect the maize.

3.Why didn't you use herbicides that are selective of both the maize and the cassava? Someone mentioned diuron

You may want to read - Scientists recommend additional herbicides for weed control in cassava farming - for further guidance ( just google it)

Thanks

willybaby:
Grasses are all dieing, some corns are dieing, cassava is doing very well

2 Likes

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 9:52pm On Jul 31, 2020
Sterlingsolutns:
@willybaby

Some weeds from the pictures are almost the same height as the maize. Please, in your opinion,

1. Do you think the pre-emergence application actually served the purpose? and can you possibly adduce reasons?

2. The maize plants suffered a bit of injury from the pictures. Which herbicide did you use that negatively affects the maize plants but did not affect the maize.

3.Why didn't you use herbicides that are selective of both the maize and the cassava? Someone mentioned diuron

You may want to read - Scientists recommend additional herbicides for weed control in cassava farming - for further guidance ( just google it)

Thanks

earlier post on the thread addressed some points you raised and answered some questions too, diuron is a pre mergent, googling is good but most recommendations you'd get ain't available in Nigeria
Force up was used
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by Sterlingsolutns: 1:10pm On Aug 04, 2020
@ willybaby - you have done so well by sharing your experience

Most of my questions are borne out of experience. I've always been involved in tree crops planting. In rubber plantation for example, you can leave the field forested for like eight months and go back there and brush the field and start tapping the trees. They are forgiving.

I quickly realise that for you to play in the turf of tree crops, you need a very deep pocket. To that extent you need to look at arable.

Two, three years down the line i ventured into arable - maize. Leased two hectares in a government estate around Ofada I had always known that rain forest climatic zone normally experience double maxima rain pattern - maximum rain in June/July and September/October with august break Planted maize and immediately spray atrazine and glyposate.To my surprise, weeds started growing vigorously. I wanted to spray post emergence but was told that the nature of the weeds are grass and post emergence will not be too effective against the grasses - the only alternative is manual weeding.

Labour is usually very difficult to get during the planting season - Somehow, the project failed but i learnt some lessons 1) Should have taken my time to read the instructions on the label of the atrazine 2) Should have been patient enough to allow the rainfall to be fully established so that the surface would be wet but i don't want the august break to catch up with me 3) If i can not wait for the rain to be fully established, i should have wait for the seeds of the weeds to germinate and spray before planting 4) The person that planted the seeds did a very bad job - spacing was too much enabling rapid growth of weeds 5) I should have studied the vegetation and plant crops like groundnuts or cowpea

I narrowed down my issues to two 1) Weed management and 2) Plant population management . I've learnt my lessons and am hesitant at throwing money into the bush so am inclined to do more research on pre emergence herbicide. Most of my questions usually revolve round the two issues

Most of the chemicals you said are not available are actually available. You have Bayer, syngentia, dizengof etc They might not be at your location but they are just a phone call away. Their customers' service personnel are well trained and responsive

Please, give us update on your cassava plants development. We are learning

Thanks

willybaby:
earlier post on the thread addressed some points you raised and answered some questions too, diuron is a pre mergent, googling is good but most recommendations you'd get ain't available in Nigeria
Force up was used

2 Likes

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 1:58pm On Aug 04, 2020
Sterlingsolutns:
@ willybaby - you have done so well by sharing your experience

Most of my questions are borne out of experience. I've always been involved in tree crops planting. In rubber plantation for example, you can leave the field forested for like eight months and go back there and brush the field and start tapping the trees. They are forgiving.

I quickly realise that for you to play in the turf of tree crops, you need a very deep pocket. To that extent you need to look at arable.

Two, three years down the line i ventured into arable - maize. Leased two hectares in a government estate around Ofada I had always known that rain forest climatic zone normally experience double maxima rain pattern - maximum rain in June/July and September/October with august break Planted maize and immediately spray atrazine and glyposate.To my surprise, weeds started growing vigorously. I wanted to spray post emergence but was told that the nature of the weeds are grass and post emergence will not be too effective against the grasses - the only alternative is manual weeding.

Labour is usually very difficult to get during the planting season - Somehow, the project failed but i learnt some lessons 1) Should have taken my time to read the instructions on the label of the atrazine 2) Should have been patient enough to allow the rainfall to be fully established so that the surface would be wet but i don't want the august break to catch up with me 3) If i can not wait for the rain to be fully established, i should have wait for the seeds of the weeds to germinate and spray before planting 4) The person that planted the seeds did a very bad job - spacing was too much enabling rapid growth of weeds 5) I should have studied the vegetation and plant crops like groundnuts or cowpea

I narrowed down my issues to two 1) Weed management and 2) Plant population management . I've learnt my lessons and am hesitant at throwing money into the bush so am inclined to do more research on pre emergence herbicide. Most of my questions usually revolve round the two issues

Most of the chemicals you said are not available are actually available. You have Bayer, syngentia, dizengof etc They might not be at your location but they are just a phone call away. Their customers' service personnel are well trained and responsive

Please, give us update on your cassava plants development. We are learning

Thanks

I read your post 7times over. Only thing I can say is wow and thank you
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by makeitijn: 8:34pm On Aug 06, 2020
Ameboperoo:
I have just read this thread from the beginning to finish! Whao!
I am a big time cassava farmer but I still learnt 1 or 2 things here. I will make my observations/contributions though.
I buy raw cassava tubers in large quantities
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by Ameboperoo(m): 9:19pm On Aug 06, 2020
makeitijn:
I buy raw cassava tubers in large quantities
How much is your farm gate price per tonne?

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 4:33pm On Aug 11, 2020
Good afternoon everyone hope you all fine and well, the thread has been quiet that's true I guess farmers are also on August break.. No rains for a long while here see you after the rains resume
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 8:59am On Aug 14, 2020
2 weeks plus some days no rain now, is this still August break or climate change much needs to be done eg application of fertilizer rain please fall
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 9:03am On Aug 14, 2020
Update from farm20 I visited yesterday, our cassava is growing up so fast and well, the corn also is doing well but I noticed corn wasn't planted in some areas that's what you get when you contract your farm out to people.. below are pictures of the farm a month ago just after cultivation and now

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 9:09am On Aug 14, 2020
Current state, does lack of rain make weeds grow faster ? Although no pre mergent was applied on the farm

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by Ameboperoo(m): 11:05am On Aug 14, 2020
Well done bro. One reason I like farming is the joy I derive when I see my crops growing and waving back at you whenever you visit them!
You need to carry out manual weeding now or use paraquat carefully avoiding the crops. The leave and green part of the cassava can be easily damaged by the contact herbicide - paraquat.
The weed competes with your crops for water, nutrients and sunlight. You can then apply fertilizer when rain starts probably in few days times
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 12:16pm On Aug 14, 2020
Ameboperoo:
Well done bro. One reason I like farming is the joy I derive when I see my crops growing and waving back at you whenever you visit them!
You need to carry out manual weeding now or use paraquat carefully avoiding the crops. The leave and green part of the cassava can be easily damaged by the contact herbicide - paraquat.
The weed competes with your crops for water, nutrients and sunlight. You can then apply fertilizer when rain starts probably in few days times
thanks sir and well said, due to the size of the farm manual weeding would be exorbitant cost wise, so herbicide and payment for spraying has been made already.. once the rain comes killing of weed starts..

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 12:18pm On Aug 14, 2020
@Ameboperoo my crops are waving at me lol.. farm15 is weed free and dead weeds are fast becoming manure more updates from farm15 coming up

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by Ameboperoo(m): 12:21pm On Aug 14, 2020
willybaby:
thanks sir and well said, due to the size of the farm manual weeding would be exorbitant cost wise, so herbicide and payment for spraying has been made already.. once the rain comes killing of weed starts..
Do you have to wait for the rains before weeding?
Except if you're using glyphosate based herbicides. Which can be disastrous if not carefully applied by experienced person.
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 12:32pm On Aug 14, 2020
Ameboperoo:

Do you have to wait for the rains before weeding?
Except if you're using glyphosate based herbicides. Which can be disastrous if not carefully applied by experienced person.
4 bottles of paraforce was bought as advised by my farm manager, I think it doesn't contain glyphophate... And from my own small experience it's better spraying after a rain with the earth wet
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by nams77: 1:51pm On Aug 14, 2020
willybaby:
Even a farmer of 50years still has something to learn, things change, innovations take place etc so feel free to ask questions, drop advices, criticism and thanks for all the calls have been receiving
Thanks man for this. Nice of you to share such priceless info free with open heart

I look forward to going this route someday. Na only laziness go be my problem. With all this soft life, I wonder if I can do any real farm work grin
Permission to have your number stored in my phone

I will send a PM so I can obtain ur number
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 4:43pm On Aug 14, 2020
nams77:

Thanks man for this. Nice of you to share such priceless info free with open heart

I look forward to going this route someday. Na only laziness go be my problem. With all this soft life, I wonder if I can do any real farm work grin
Permission to have your number stored in my phone

I will send a PM so I can obtain ur number
lol I lazy pass you bro, it's just have d love for it and slowly you'd see yourself wanting to do more, get dirty urself instead of even paying for the labour.. ur free to call text pm etc

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by Ameboperoo(m): 5:27pm On Aug 14, 2020
willybaby:
4 bottles of paraforce was bought as advised by my farm manager, I think it doesn't contain glyphophate... And from my own small experience it's better spraying after a rain with the earth wet
Paraeforce is a brand of paraquat. Please be careful when using it. It kills weeds by contact so you should keep your nozzle away from the green stems of the cassava.

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 11:04am On Aug 15, 2020
Rain ooooooooo...
Updates from farm15 our weeds are all dead, but rain fall has been delaying application of fertilizer for 2 weeks now.. some corns already have cobs

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 11:07am On Aug 15, 2020
Sorry for the not to nice pictures, I took them while on a bike driving Tru the farm wasn't really happy and so didn't wanna get down... We pray 4 rain
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by Alberttahir: 3:38pm On Aug 15, 2020
Nice and educative thread here. I intend to intercrop cassava with Mellon. Which pre emergent chemical can I use that'll work well? Someone advice against using atrazine because of the Mellon. From his experience, the Mellon will start to die after germination.
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by Ameboperoo(m): 4:21pm On Aug 15, 2020
Alberttahir:
Nice and educative thread here. I intend to intercrop cassava with Mellon. Which pre emergent chemical can I use that'll work well? Someone advice against using atrazine because of the Mellon. From his experience, the Mellon will start to die after germination.
Atrazine is only good for corn and the likes. It prevents germination of broad leaved. I think metolachlor based. Let me be sure first

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 4:50pm On Aug 15, 2020
Alberttahir:
our seasoned farmers please help him out
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by CallMeNJay: 9:53pm On Aug 15, 2020
Beautiful read

Following your thread
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by CallMeNJay: 7:07pm On Aug 16, 2020
willybaby:
Hybrid improved quality white shelled corn.. this corn was improved in Nigeria by Nigerians.. it's maturity rate with all things being right is 2 MONTHS...
We fetched a little from one of the sacks to go plant in farm15.. farm20 doesn't have to enjoy it all lol....

How's your Maize doing and the Oba 95 Seedlings.

Where can i purchase this?

And how many bags will be needed for an Acre of Land inter-cropped with Cassava

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (18) (Reply)

Governor Shettima Inspects Farm Implements Procured By The State Govt. / Help- My Poultry Birds Are Dying / Man Without Legs Ploughing On A Farm (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.