Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,114 members, 7,818,320 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:37 PM

My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner - Agriculture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner (26570 Views)

My Cucumber Farming Dairy (pilot Phase) / My Cucumber Farm Dairy / My Soybean Farming Dairy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 8:31pm On Jul 12, 2020
Eyinjuoluwanimi:

Please how much do you pay those that help you with the heaps
Thanks
the price here is 1,500 per 400 heaps
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 8:33pm On Jul 12, 2020
GenBuhari:
Common sense advice, but the problem is knowing which villagers to trust.
Do mind explaining exactly how you hired your labour and how much or how you pay your farm manager?
my farm manager brought the labourers they are his brothers and sisters and seriously I can't tell you much on paying your manager it depends on both of you and the role he or her plays for you
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by Nobody: 10:35am On Jul 13, 2020
willybaby:
my farm manager brought the labourers they are his brothers and sisters and seriously I can't tell you much on paying your manager it depends on both of you and the role he or her plays for you
How did you find your farm manager? Any tips for hiring a. good farm manager?

How much do you pay your farm manager?
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 1:00pm On Jul 13, 2020
GenBuhari:

How did you find your farm manager? Any tips for hiring a. good farm manager?

How much do you pay your farm manager?
I try not to answer so I don't mistakenly mislead you but you keep asking..
1. a good manager should know the land and be experienced with the crop been cultivated
2. Actually my farm manager found me it's a funny story
3. I have no fixed salary for him, if there's work to be done I just give him a little extra but I hope to sort him after harvest.. please note our relationship works that way.. don't copy and have issues with yours..
What are you planning on cultivating sir

3 Likes

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jul 13, 2020
willybaby:
I try not to answer so I don't mistakenly mislead you but you keep asking..
1. a good manager should know the land and be experienced with the crop been cultivated
2. Actually my farm manager found me it's a funny story
3. I have no fixed salary for him, if there's work to be done I just give him a little extra but I hope to sort him after harvest.. please note our relationship works that way.. don't copy and have issues with yours..
What are you planning on cultivating sir
Well done. You couldnt answer any of my questions so why bother asking me what I am planning? Well I am considering groundnuts, herbs onions and peppers. currently doing small scale (many different crops) on approx 2 plots for personal consumption ; but looking to go large scale soon as an almost complete novice.
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 7:19pm On Jul 13, 2020
GenBuhari:
Well done. You couldnt answer any of my questions so why bother asking me what I am planning? Well I am considering groundnuts, herbs onions and peppers. currently doing small scale (many different crops) on approx 2 plots for personal consumption ; but looking to go large scale soon as an almost complete novice.
lol i told you I didn't wanna answer so I don't answer wrongly.. nice move though are you going large scale with all or you gonna select a few crop and go large scale on

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by ideepaul: 10:55pm On Jul 13, 2020
GenBuhari:
Please don't pick offense with the response, he is actually helping you! There is no fixed market for farm managers, different people meet potential managers through varying methods. You may see a hardworking labourer who is experienced and trustworthy, you may employ someone through the recommendation of a seasoned farmer, you may also opt to go for a consultant, and spend your time in the farm. It's all about what you want to achieve, and the time available to you.
But since you have done groundnut, onions, herbs, and pepper in small scale settings, why don't you use such experience to expand, do you think it is economical to pay a farm manager based on the ROI? I don't do that farm manager sh#t btw! I meet with locals, relate with a lot of them, find the influential people within the area, make friends with them and get a farm spy/village girlfriend who will look after my investment ( things we do for love/opportunities to leave the village grin grin grin). Make them happy and they will protect your investment when you are not around. Sweetmouth people, but don't promise what can't offer o, and be a man of your word before you loose trust

3 Likes

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 1:59am On Jul 14, 2020
ideepaul:

Please don't pick offense with the response, he is actually helping you! There is no fixed market for farm managers, different people meet potential managers through varying methods. You may see a hardworking labourer who is experienced and trustworthy, you may employ someone through the recommendation of a seasoned farmer, you may also opt to go for a consultant, and spend your time in the farm. It's all about what you want to achieve, and the time available to you.
But since you have done groundnut, onions, herbs, and pepper in small scale settings, why don't you use such experience to expand, do you think it is economical to pay a farm manager based on the ROI? I don't do that farm manager sh#t btw! I meet with locals, relate with a lot of them, find the influential people within the area, make friends with them and get a farm spy/village girlfriend who will look after my investment ( things we do for love/opportunities to leave the village grin grin grin). Make them happy and they will protect your investment when you are not around. Sweetmouth people, but don't promise what can't offer o, and be a man of your word before you loose trust
lol bad guy..
Much love and respect bro u hit d nail on the head

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by IamAsiri: 6:52am On Jul 14, 2020
willybaby:
the price here is 1,500 per 400 heaps

How many heaps did they get per acre?

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 6:24pm On Jul 15, 2020
IamAsiri:

How many heaps did they get per acre?
good evening I can't give the precise number of heaps per acre but on an average it's 650 to 850 heaps per plot depending on heap size spacing etc

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 6:30pm On Jul 15, 2020
Good evening everyone firstly a big sorry for not taking pictures this is due to me not going to the farm with my phone... Farm15 is doing wonderfully well, but as we all know in cropping working never stops. Parts of the farm not sprayed effectively with our premergence chemical needs weeding and cassava stems that didn't grow will need replacing.. plans are in the works to get all these done as early as Friday... Then you'd be seeing pictures of the farm at its current state and the wedding process Also...
Stay tuned
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 6:37pm On Jul 15, 2020
Now a little bit of good news to those who love experiencing and learning new things I will be opening a new thread on my experience farming SOYBEANS it's also a first time project, I hope to kick off tomorrow..

The link to the thread will be posted here feel free to join and follow..
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 6:49pm On Jul 15, 2020
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 8:08pm On Jul 16, 2020
Good evening house hope you all are well..
Firstly updates from farm20.
Raking of dead rotten grasses is still on going including the making of heaps and planting all happening simultaneously..
Below are pictures

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 8:13pm On Jul 16, 2020
TME419 been planted..
More pictures below.. this farm is actually much more bigger in land size than dan envisaged this is due to the spacing observed between heaps and heap size is bigger than farm15.. we improved on this

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by IamAsiri: 8:16pm On Jul 16, 2020
willybaby:
good evening I can't give the precise number of heaps per acre but on an average it's 650 to 850 heaps per plot depending on heap size spacing etc
Ok, thanks. I had to ask because someone who wanted to help me with heaping said he is going to collect 20k for a land of 4 plots. Location is Osogbo.

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 8:17pm On Jul 16, 2020
Now update from farm15..
As stated yesterday today wedding was carried out a little bit it still continues..
Also rotted and dry stems were replaced today, due to it was been done by just a person it will be finished tomorrow
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 8:19pm On Jul 16, 2020
Cut wheelbarrow loads of cassava stem been transported to the farm

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 8:21pm On Jul 16, 2020
Now this pictures are to further explain my earlier update about the rooter pre emergent that was applied..
I will drop a picture and explain a little

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 8:25pm On Jul 16, 2020
IamAsiri:

Ok, thanks. I had to ask because someone who wanted to help me with heaping said he is going to collect 20k for a land of 4 plots. Location is Osogbo.
currently in my location according to our style and payment structure I feel the 20k is on the high side, please note am using my locality to judge.. he might be collecting less from you based on how you do things over there
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 8:28pm On Jul 16, 2020
from the picture below you will observe a part of the farm looking bare this shows the pre emergent was overly applied and even the cassava didn't grow.. but the concentration has reduced and the replanted corn is doing beautifully

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 8:38pm On Jul 16, 2020
Now here we see a part of the farm that wasn't sprayed effectively see how bushy it is

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 8:40pm On Jul 16, 2020
Now this I how I want the whole farm to look.. pre emergent perfectly applied and crops doing well with weed far away

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 8:42pm On Jul 16, 2020
And that's all for today
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by TheNigerianPers: 10:17pm On Jul 16, 2020
Textra:
The way you guys planted the cassava stem is quite funny to me. Here we plant in slanting form and not vertical. Well, I don't think it will have any effect anyway.

I read an article that says that there are about three ways of planting cassava.
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by babtoundey(m): 12:35am On Jul 17, 2020
IamAsiri:

OP, thanks for the update. I'm learning a lot from the thread. All this while, I have been postponing venturing into farming.But coming across this thread is motivating me to take some steps now. At least, it doesn't matter how one starts. what counts is what one gets out of it.

Bro, please is the land you get at Osogbo rented or bought. If rented, how much is it?
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 7:22pm On Jul 17, 2020
TheNigerianPers:

I read an article that says that there are about three ways of planting cassava.
teach us please.. we all here to learn
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 7:23pm On Jul 17, 2020
babtoundey:

OP, thanks for the update. I'm learning a lot from the thread. All this while, I have been postponing venturing into farming.But coming across this thread is motivating me to take some steps now. At least, it doesn't matter how one starts. what counts is what one gets out of it.

Bro, please is the land you get at Osogbo rented or bought. If rented, how much is it?
your welcome sir..
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 7:26pm On Jul 17, 2020
While going to the farm to see the level of work done I met my neighbor harvesting and had to assist after all we are one big happy family.. pictures below..

Note all these ain't close to a hundred heap.. she was just smiling and working happily.. I call her smiling mama

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 7:30pm On Jul 17, 2020
See cassava tubers bigger than yams.. this is a harvest we all pray for and more...

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 7:31pm On Jul 17, 2020
Keke truck loaded n ready to go

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by IamAsiri: 10:04pm On Jul 17, 2020
babtoundey:

It wasn't bought or rented. It was borrowed grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Governor Shettima Inspects Farm Implements Procured By The State Govt. / Help- My Poultry Birds Are Dying / Man Without Legs Ploughing On A Farm (Photos)

Viewing this topic: bizzibodi(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.