Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,495 members, 7,819,807 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:08 AM

My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner (26631 Views)

My Cucumber Farming Dairy (pilot Phase) / My Cucumber Farm Dairy / My Soybean Farming Dairy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 7:37am On Jun 19, 2020
A section of the farm that has been planted

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 7:43am On Jun 19, 2020
In planting cassava stems there's a rule to be followed, you need to observe the stem to see how it grows before it's deeped into the heap the growing up part should face up it not when germinating starts your cassava would grow upside down

1 Share

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 7:45am On Jun 19, 2020
Farming is fun farm15 is done

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 7:55am On Jun 19, 2020
All glory to God farm15 is done so as from Monday all attention,money time and work shifts to farm20, remember chemical has been applied on the land and it's two weeks now grasses should be dead n rotten.. Monday we move to making heaps and the process starts all over again..

Farm15 no work would be carried out there again till probably the end of August when we plan to apply fertilizer and herbicides to help our corn yeild more and our Cassava grow well.

Stay tuned updates coming from farm20 as from Monday
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by TheNigerianPers: 1:13pm On Jun 19, 2020
willybaby:
Good morning everyone and am so so sorry for not posting for a while have just been focused on my farm, now to the good news our cassava as I said earlier has been delivered and planting has been going on for a couple of days now. We were about to finish planting yesterday so on farm 1 our corn and cassava is in the ground. May God bless our efforts.. Amen

Amen.
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by TheNigerianPers: 1:13pm On Jun 19, 2020
How many tonnes of cassava is expected from 1 acre of land?
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 7:37am On Jun 20, 2020
TheNigerianPers:
How many tonnes of cassava is expected from 1 acre of land?
if it does well you should be able to get 6tons and abovr
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by ojelabi30(m): 9:12am On Jun 20, 2020
willybaby:
A picture of the land b4 the chemical is applied

Hello please do you mean after applying the chemicals you did not engage manual clearing again? Do you mean after applying the herbicides the next thing you do was making of ridges??

Thanks for sharing your experience

Expecting ur response......
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 8:38pm On Jun 20, 2020
ojelabi30:

Hello please do you mean after applying the chemicals you did not engage manual clearing again? Do you mean after applying the herbicides the next thing you do was making of ridges??

Thanks for sharing your experience

Expecting ur response......
good evening sir, after you must have applied your herbicides and it's taken effect the only thing you need do next is raking of the dead grasses.. some people also make hips or ridges using the dead grass as manure especially if it's not much
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 12:21pm On Jun 25, 2020
Good afternoon everyone some people might be wondering why no updates for a while, well it's because farming has its processes... I visited the farm today and have got a good news and beautiful pictures for you all

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 12:34pm On Jun 25, 2020
From the picture below you would observe the lack of weed on the farm that means our rooter premergence chemical is working perfectly and secondly our corn have all germinated going round the farm I can say we had as high as 98% success in germination rate, our cassava stems are picking up

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by ideepaul: 12:38pm On Jun 25, 2020
willybaby:
From the picture below you would observe the lack of weed on the farm that means our rooter premergence chemical is working perfectly and secondly our corn have all germinated going round the farm I can say we had as high as 98% success in germination rate, our cassava stems are picking up
Nothing calms a farmer down than seeing high germination rates in his farm! Why are cassava stem still not buried properly?
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 2:19pm On Jun 25, 2020
ideepaul:

Nothing calms a farmer down than seeing high germination rates in his farm! Why are cassava stem still not buried properly?
you can say that again... Actually the cassava stems are buried properly.. in planting cassava stem you need take note of how it grows that's the side that faces up and the wind too so grown stems don't get broken by wind or rain..
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by ideepaul: 2:53pm On Jun 25, 2020
willybaby:
you can say that again... Actually the cassava stems are buried properly.. in planting cassava stem you need take note of how it grows that's the side that faces up and the wind too so grown stems don't get broken by wind or rain..
in our parts, we bury it such that only less than 3 inches is above the ground, and we slant the 2 stems per point facing opposite directions

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 3:15pm On Jun 25, 2020
ideepaul:
in our parts, we bury it such that only less than 3 inches is above the ground, and we slant the 2 stems per point facing opposite directions
wow I just learnt something new... Different strokes for different folks here we don't plant too deep
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by ideepaul: 3:27pm On Jun 25, 2020
willybaby:
wow I just learnt something new... Different strokes for different folks here we don't plant too deep
imagine the fruit to be mound, and the sticks to be the stem, that's what I meant. if you look carefully, you will notice that the planting styles vary slightly

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 6:54pm On Jun 25, 2020
ideepaul:

imagine the fruit to be mound, and the sticks to be the stem, that's what I meant. if you look carefully, you will notice that the planting styles vary slightly
ohh that's how we plant also buh we don't go deep as you guys
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by EdetEffiomEyo(m): 8:09pm On Jun 25, 2020
Hello Good day sir. Nice post so far.
1. Please how much have you spent so far to get your Cassava farm up and running till now,
2. how long befor they are ready for harvest.
3. Is there a season for planting it? If yes what will happen if it is planted late. Thanks
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by ideepaul: 8:14pm On Jun 25, 2020
EdetEffiomEyo:
1. Please how much have you spent so far to get your Cassava farm up and running till now,
3. Is there a season for planting it? If yes what will happen if it is planted late. Thanks
akwa ibom or cross River?
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by EdetEffiomEyo(m): 8:22pm On Jun 25, 2020
ideepaul:
cross river
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by ideepaul: 10:13pm On Jun 25, 2020
EdetEffiomEyo:
cross river
late planting season is August, you can plant the 6months variety because of time constraints

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 10:31am On Jun 26, 2020
ideepaul:

@ideepaul you've been a source of motivation on this thread ur appreciated sir...

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 10:32am On Jun 26, 2020
EdetEffiomEyo:
@ideepaul has given you helpful replies already so am just gonna answer the money question both farms combined is almost 2 hectares.. bulk of the money spent went into buying of cassava stem and labour that's clearing and making of heaps. In akwa ibom it might be cheaper if the labour fee charged there is lesser and if you have quality stems readily available to you

2 Likes

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by EdetEffiomEyo(m): 11:13am On Jun 26, 2020
willybaby:
@ideepaul has given you helpful replies already so am just gonna answer the money question have spent a little bit above my budget of 200k for both farms.. both farms combined is almost 2 hectares.. bulk of the money spent went into buying of cassava stem and labour that's clearing and making of heaps. In akwa ibom it might be cheaper if the labour fee charged there is lesser and if you have quality stems readily available to you
thank you very much
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by ideepaul: 1:49pm On Jun 26, 2020
willybaby:
@ideepaul you've been a source of motivation on this thread ur appreciated sir...
Me sir ke? Boss I still be baby, I dey my papa house like this grin grin grin I have learnt a lot from nairaland since 2011 when i was just a guest reader even before the GREAT HACK of some years ago, and I am indebted to share and also learn from others who have gone far in this industry. I do hope to expand fully after school
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by ideepaul: 1:50pm On Jun 26, 2020
willybaby:
@ideepaul has given you helpful replies already so am just gonna answer the money question have spent a little bit above my budget of 200k for both farms.. both farms combined is almost 2 hectares.. bulk of the money spent went into buying of cassava stem and labour that's clearing and making of heaps. In akwa ibom it might be cheaper if the labour fee charged there is lesser and if you have quality stems readily available to you
Labour is cheaper in cross River than akwa ibom
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by EdetEffiomEyo(m): 8:11am On Jun 27, 2020
ideepaul:

Labour is cheaper in cross River than akwa ibom
what will happen if it is planted late or too early
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by ideepaul: 2:23pm On Jun 27, 2020
EdetEffiomEyo:
what will happen if it is planted late or too early
you can still plant cassava now, it's not late, just that constant rains will make your land preparation work difficult, don't plant the 6months variety after August as the rains will be winding down by early December if you are in Southern cross River,

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 1:46pm On Jun 28, 2020
Happy Sunday everyone I had hoped on updating this thread with pictures of work and progress carried out on the second and biggest farm but due to the heavy rains of yesterday the access roads to the farm would be terrible and muddy.. we hope for a brighter tomorrow.. our heaps,stems and corn all doing well..
Fertilizer application is on the works too so stay posted click follow to enjoy and learn more.. thanks for all your calls, inquiries keep am coming the number hasn't changed
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by Sterlingsolutns: 9:40pm On Jun 28, 2020
@willybaby

Please, what is the withdrawal interval between the time you sprayed the rakeout/ rooter and the time you planted the corn/ cassava? Will the chemical residue not affect the crops planted?

Thanks

willybaby:
Planting going on.... a custard rubber of corn seeds was bought a total of 6800 heaps was planted today by 3 people with 2 seeds per heap
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 11:19pm On Jun 28, 2020
[quote author=Sterlingsolutns

Please, what is the withdrawal interval between the time you sprayed the rakeout/ rooter and the time you planted the corn/ cassava? Will the chemical residue not affect the crops planted?

Thanks@Sterlingsolutns nice question actually if you plant and spray ur plants might die also.. the interval we gave was 2days after spraying.. you can also plant after the first rain has fallen post spraying cause then majority of the chemical has seeped into the soil where it's actually needed

[/quote]
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by Jamestown123: 12:29am On Jun 29, 2020
willybaby:
We spraying towards the evening because if it was in the afternoon the sun might evaporate most of the chemical so spraying in d evening the chemical remains more on d soil and hopefully night rain falls this will push the chemical deeper into the soil making it more effective

Tomorrow planting of cassava stems starts we will be planting a total of 6800stems on 6800heaps .
How many ula can cover a plot of land?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Help- My Poultry Birds Are Dying / Man Without Legs Ploughing On A Farm (Photos) / Abisola Olusanya Inspects Imota Rice Plant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.