Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,156 members, 7,818,502 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:26 PM

My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner - Agriculture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner (26580 Views)

My Cucumber Farming Dairy (pilot Phase) / My Cucumber Farm Dairy / My Soybean Farming Dairy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by babtoundey(m): 10:15pm On Jul 17, 2020
IamAsiri:
It wasn't bought or rented. It was borrowed grin
Alright. Thanks.
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by grandpoh(m): 11:43pm On Jul 17, 2020
Nice one OP
Nothing beats farming trust me
Y’all need to see my tomatoes and rice you’ll help me give thanks to God
The rain has been so favorable,As at last week sold some ewedu and vegetables at the market and was surprised the market price hasn’t fallen just yet

3 Likes

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 7:05am On Jul 21, 2020
Good morning house hope your all fine..
Am about to step out to farm15 weeding and stem planting continues slowly and jejely. Sorrow if updates hasn't been frequent it's because activities have winded down also..
You all can still visit the Soybean thread to learn more
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by ojelabi30(m): 3:08pm On Jul 22, 2020
willybaby:
teach us please.. we all here to learn

You can plant horizontally, vertically or at angle 45°
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 4:02pm On Jul 22, 2020
ojelabi30:

You can plant horizontally, vertically or at angle 45°
all true the direction is basically determined by the wind so grown up stems don't break and if your mix cropping so the second crop enjoys too
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by Nicon77: 6:17pm On Jul 22, 2020
willybaby:
Now this I how I want the whole farm to look.. pre emergent perfectly applied and crops doing well with weed far away

Op .. great job....but
1..that your farm seems to be water-logged.... planting cassava in such a place might not be the best.The tubers may start to rot by 9months especially if is TME419

2..The cassava stems are best planted horizontally so each node produces.There is nothing like wind direction in cassava farming.I will strongly advice you consult more for advice.

3..Your maize are overpopulated...trim them.

I am still a novice ,hope I have not spoken rudely.

2 Likes

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by Nicon77: 6:19pm On Jul 22, 2020
willybaby:
And that's all for today

Look for Striker mix it with atrazine then spray on this farm..not doing fine at the moment

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 9:00pm On Jul 22, 2020
Nicon77:

Op .. great job....but
1..that your farm seems to be water-logged.... planting cassava in such a place might not be the best.The tubers may start to rot by 9months especially if is TME419

2..The cassava stems are best planted horizontally so each node produces.There is nothing like wind direction in cassava farming.I will strongly advice you consult more for advice.

3..Your maize are overpopulated...trim them.

I am still a novice ,hope I have not spoken rudely.
thanks so so much.. you spoke well the thread was open so we all learn remember beginner things..
The land ain't actually water logged
And the corn will be trimmed before fertilizer is applied
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 9:02pm On Jul 22, 2020
Nicon77:

Look for Striker mix it with atrazine then spray on this farm..not doing fine at the moment
will the striker kill the corn or cassava if it touches them ?
I Know atrazine to be a premergent it surely will be used
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by MDDarah84(m): 3:06pm On Jul 23, 2020
willybaby:
will the striker kill the corn or cassava if it touches them ?
I Know atrazine to be a premergent it surely will be used

Striker is selective to maize ,so you have to carefully avoid the cassava in case you have already planted the cassava.A good sprayer(labourer) would easily do that.If you can't get one,then you need to weed
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by adescopy(m): 4:09pm On Jul 23, 2020
MDDarah84:

Striker is selective to maize ,so you have to carefully avoid the cassava in case you have already planted the cassava.A good sprayer(labourer) would easily do that.If you can't get one,then you need to weed
If striker is selective to maize, is there any need to by atrazine again? This may be a duplication that may reduce interest.
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 4:36pm On Jul 23, 2020
The farm was sprayed partly today, spraying continues tomorrow..
Spraying is more time consuming when trying to avoid planted crops

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by Ameboperoo(m): 10:28pm On Jul 23, 2020
I have just read this thread from the beginning to finish! Whao!
I am a big time cassava farmer but I still learnt 1 or 2 things here. I will make my observations/contributions though.
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by Ameboperoo(m): 4:16pm On Jul 24, 2020
Yes I'm back.
Observations:
You applied rooter before planting! From experience, it may affect the germination of the cassava though the maize will be fine.
Your cuttings were planted too erect. It will affect the ease of harvesting. The root tubers will grow deeper into the soil. But if you slant it at 45⁰, it will be more or less horizontal in the soil. Your soil type maybe soft compared to my area though.
You engaged manual labour. Try tractor and you will never go back to manual labour again. It safes cost and time. It's also easier to spray with herbicides

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by Ameboperoo(m): 4:20pm On Jul 24, 2020
I prefer atrazine to rooter on a newly cultivated farm. Why? It's seems more effective and cost less. Though you might need to mix it with contact herbicides like paraquat if there are still grasses after cultivation.

2 Likes

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 4:29pm On Jul 24, 2020
Ameboperoo:
I prefer atrazine to rooter on a newly cultivated farm. Why? It's seems more effective and cost less. Though you might need to mix it with contact herbicides like paraquat if there are still grasses after cultivation.
thanks you've added knowledge to us all.. how long would it take before weeds start growing if atrazine is applied. You seem to be a fan of it so tell us more
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by Ameboperoo(m): 4:58pm On Jul 24, 2020
willybaby:
thanks you've added knowledge to us all.. how long would it take before weeds start growing if atrazine is applied. You seem to be a fan of it so tell us more
It depends on the farm. In my present farm, it took about 9 weeks before I applied paraquat. If your cassava is the canopy variety, it would have started branching. I might not need to weed again till harvest..
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by Ameboperoo(m): 5:04pm On Jul 24, 2020
Atrazine is a preemergence herbicide. It prevents weeds from germinating or die shortly after germination.
Rooter is also a pre and early post-emergence. But from experience, I think rooter work better in already cropped farm. While atrazine work better on a newly cultivated farm.
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 5:17pm On Jul 24, 2020
Ameboperoo:

It depends on the farm. In my present farm, it took about 9 weeks before I applied paraquat. If your cassava is the canopy variety, it would have started branching. I might not need to weed again till harvest..
thanks.. which specific brand of pre emergent containing atrazine did you use or is the brand just named atrazine.. asking because like glyphophate atrazine is also a general chemical used in products
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by Ameboperoo(m): 5:46pm On Jul 24, 2020
willybaby:
thanks.. which specific brand of pre emergent containing atrazine did you use or is the brand just named atrazine.. asking because like glyphophate atrazine is also a general chemical used in products
I don't remember the name o. When I get home. I will check the package.
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by Ameboperoo(m): 5:54pm On Jul 24, 2020
Let me add more. Whenever you want to use powdered chemicals, it's advisable you take this steps:
premix the desired qty in a different container with some water,
Fill your sprayer half way,
Pour the mixture into the sprayer,
then fill it up with water.
It will make the powder to dissolve well and not block your sprayer's nozzle.

3 Likes

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 7:22pm On Jul 24, 2020
Ameboperoo:
Let me add more. Whenever you want to use powdered chemicals, it's advisable you take this steps:
premix the desired qty in a different container with some water,
Fill your sprayer half way,
Pour the mixture into the sprayer,
then fill it up with water.
It will make the powder to dissolve well and not block your sprayer's nozzle.
we just learnt something new, with this method even hard to dissolve chemicals will dissolve easily..
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 7:24pm On Jul 24, 2020
Ameboperoo:

that would be great.. you can even go a little bit extra by uploading a picture of the pack
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 8:11pm On Jul 25, 2020
Ameboperoo:

hello
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by Ameboperoo(m): 8:17pm On Jul 25, 2020
willybaby:
hello
I traveled out of town. Till Thursday before I can snap it.
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by Ottowax(m): 12:49pm On Jul 26, 2020
willybaby:
Ok everyone.. remember contributions, questions etc are all welcome. But for now this is me signing out, am about to go count 6000heaps to make sure what I paid for has been done

From what I see here the land is very big. Please what state did you get this land and for what amount?

I intend to chat you up and have you school me as I want to start a cassava farm. Thanks
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 11:10pm On Jul 26, 2020
Ottowax:

From what I see here the land is very big. Please what state did you get this land and for what amount?

I intend to chat you up and have you school me as I want to start a cassava farm. Thanks
thanks sir your totally free to call and chat anytime
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by Ameboperoo(m): 9:11am On Jul 30, 2020
This is the brand of Atrazine I used.

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by HornyTave: 12:10pm On Jul 30, 2020
What's the return on investment on cassava?

Let's say an Hectare.

Ameboperoo:
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 4:05pm On Jul 30, 2020
HornyTave:
What's the return on investment on cassava?

Let's say an Hectare.

if that's your most important question before you go into agriculture you might not survive it

1 Like

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 4:07pm On Jul 30, 2020
Ameboperoo:
you too much thanks for this
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 4:09pm On Jul 30, 2020
Good evening house sorry for the infrequent post but it's due to low farming activity on the farm and currently also working on another project

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Governor Shettima Inspects Farm Implements Procured By The State Govt. / Help- My Poultry Birds Are Dying / Man Without Legs Ploughing On A Farm (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.