Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,074 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:18 AM

Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice - Food (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice (54514 Views)

The Best Method Of Cooking Nigerian Egusi Soup / A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) / Gambia Beat Nigeria , Ghana And Senegal In Jollof Rice Competition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by ufondunenye(f): 10:43pm On Jun 22, 2020
:
topboss:

girl, dat ass needs an award.

hot! wink
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jul 05, 2020
pocohantas:

True, but if you fry your tomatoes well and put in too much water, no amount of frying will rescue the jollof rice. It is a combination of factors. That is why I said, one has to be thorough from the start.
Do you know why those "party jollof rice" have a unique aroma?I don't know how dey do it but it has one particular aroma

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 2:14pm On Jul 05, 2020
Heartlessbanker:
Do you know why those "party jollof rice" have a unique aroma?I don't know how dey do it but it has one particular aroma

Maybe the burn (from firewood). I can’t be so sure of what aroma you are talking of, but I guess that should be it.
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by dakem: 3:39pm On Jul 05, 2020
Join our online class and learn how to make the following
�Yoghurt
�5 types of snacks
�5 types of cake
�5 types of small chops
Perfect fondant making for ur cake
�Perfect party jollof rice
�Perfect party fried rice
�Liquid soap
�3 types of turban
�How to make chinchin and d packaging
�Bread making

If interested join the WhatsApp link for just #500
https:///K0KH7WMgxQb11wpDFgXL75
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pakingzzzzz(m): 1:42am On Jul 06, 2020
dexla:
This list of ingredients is too complete.
As for me I cook with pressure pot on low heat when I run out of foil paper and i get better results. I never get to open the pot until im ready to turn the rice. I also use nutmeg, gives it that unique taste but too much of it can ruin it all. The consistency of the paste is the foundation of doing it right, once its watery your party jollof cease to exist.

Looks like you are a good cook...
Are you into helicopter stuffs
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Montalo(m): 9:13am On Jul 06, 2020
Lets handle your stomach infrastructure. A trial will convince you. Life is too short to spend it eating drab meals.

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by dalifa(f): 3:50pm On Jul 26, 2020
pocohantas:

Pic 1: Tomatoes after it has fried properly. Can you see the difference? Not frying your tomatoes well is what makes you have that “slap” taste. cheesy
Pic 2: Water level for cooking.
Pic 3: Rice after absorbing stock.
Pic 4: Covering with foil.

Thank you so much Pocahontas!!! I followed all the steps judiciously and I must say I just made the best jollof rice I have made in my entire life. grin The little things, like water level, heat intensity, time of ginger and correction of seasoning, foil etc, made all the difference. Everything was just right! Everyone had second helpings. Thank you again! I'll be following your posts

2 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 4:33pm On Jul 26, 2020
dalifa:

Thank you so much Pocahontas!!! I followed all the steps judiciously and I must say I just made the best jollof rice I have made in my entire life. grin The little things, like water level, heat intensity, time of ginger and correction of seasoning, foil etc, made all the difference. Everything was just right! Everyone had second helpings. Thank you again! I'll be following your posts

Awww. So glad to read this. People miss the water level and heat intensity a lot. Once you perfect these things, you will begin to wonder why you missed it all the years. Send my own plate sha. cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by lastclaire4(f): 1:55pm On Aug 19, 2020
dominique:

Saltless butter in jollof? First time I'll be hearing of such. I hardly use butter for jollof, but the few times I have, it's blueband or simmas margerine

My dear people do things differently but that does not make it bad.
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 5:15pm On Aug 19, 2020
brtrip:

i plan to cook by Friday.

I posted here because you need about the same ingredients.

Things you will need;
— Steamed fresh tomatoes mix. Tomatoes, tatashe and habanero pepper. Do this in whatever ratio you want. I recommend 4:3:2
— tin tomatoes (VERY OPTIONAL)
— Knorr cubes
— GARLIC (fresh or dry)
— GINGER (fresh or dry)
— CURRY
— THYME
— SALT
— Vegetable/Olive oil
— Onions

If you are confused on seasoning brands to use, check the first page of this thread.

Step 1: Prepare your tomato paste. Blend with ginger, garlic and onions (if you want). Then tatashe for redness- this will make you do away with tin tomatoes. Bring it to boil, till almost all the water is gone.

Step 2: Season your meat or fish. Don’t miss this step. Season your meat with chopped onions, knorr cubes, thyme, nutmeg, curry, garlic, ginger and salt. I always add SALT after the meat has softened, because it closes the pores and hardens meat. YOUR STOCK (the water from your cooked meat) is one of the most important things in your stew. So, season well. When the meat is done, do whatever you want with it- fry, grill...etc

Step 3: Set a pot on fire and put your vegetable/olive oil. This should be dependent on the quantity of tomatoes and meat; you know some meat produces lots of oil. Anyway, If you put excess oil, you can always drain after frying your tomatoes and keep in the refrigerator.

STEP 4: When your oil has bleached, put in your fresh tomatoes, onions (and tin tomatoes). You can fry your tin tomatoes before the fresh or together with the fresh, but don’t do it after. Some people also fry their onions first, that is okay too.

Step 5: Put in your spices (If you didn’t already blend together with your tomatoes); your thyme, curry, garlic and ginger. Fry them together with your tomatoes. Turn down your heat and allow it to fry. This is one place you will appreciate a NON-STICK POT. Please, DO NOT COVER IT. All that condensation can alter your result.

Step 6: KEEP FRYING TILL YOUR TOMATOES GOES FROM BEING A PASTE, TO BEING SEGMENTED. The oil would also float on top. You need to fry out the tartness.

STEP 7: In addition to having pores, the color is darker. The tomatoes have also shrinked in size. Once you achieve this, pour in your stock. Don’t pour all at the same time, should it be much. Stir the stew and if it is still thick, you can pour in the remaining stock. At first it will look like you have messed up your good work, have no fear...

Step 8: Allow to boil on medium-low heat. While this is happening, check for seasoning. Add salt and knorr cubes if necessary. Put in your meat, allow to simmer more...your stew is ready.

Pic 1: What your tomatoes would look like at first.
Pic 2: What it should transform into after frying.
Pic 3: After pouring in your stock.
Pic 4: Stew. Your result may differ. I always get different results depending on my tomato to tatashe ratio.

I hope this helps.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by lapo(m): 5:22am On Jan 12, 2021
If you live in Ibadan, please call this number to buy quality rice for delivery to you in your home at the most affordable price. Available in 5kg, 25kg and 50kg.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Probz(m): 1:18am On Feb 05, 2021
bellenornor:
Jollof rice without crayfish?!

Most non-Igbos don’t cook jollof rice with crayfish.
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Probz(m): 6:23pm On Feb 27, 2021
https://www.nairaland.com/6399978/probz-ultimate-party-jollof-rice

I've drawn up a recipe on that thread but only for people who have the means and strength to carry it out (it's a very elaborate recipe). Go check it out.
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Probz(m): 3:38am On Mar 21, 2021
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Joezinho: 11:55pm On Feb 26, 2023
pocohantas:

Just when I was ready to learn. 🚶‍♂️🚶‍♂️🚶‍♂️

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

See The N50 Pepper And Onions I Bought In Kano / Millet In Nigeria: / Pharmacist Angry As The ₦2,500 Food He Ordered Was Packaged With Ponmo & Egg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.