Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,185 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:25 AM

Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice (54633 Views)

The Best Method Of Cooking Nigerian Egusi Soup / A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) / Gambia Beat Nigeria , Ghana And Senegal In Jollof Rice Competition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by TrippleEEE: 7:38pm On Jun 16, 2020
Nice ... I should try this
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 7:39pm On Jun 16, 2020
abike12:
looks good! I still don't have the liver to use basmati for jollof rice.

I am not alone after all. cheesy
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by ibkayee(f): 7:41pm On Jun 16, 2020
abike12:
looks good! I still don't have the liver to use basmati for jollof rice.
pocohantas:

I am not alone after all. cheesy
You don’t know what you’re missing tongue

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jun 16, 2020
naptu2:

The secret to Nigerian party jollof rice is not in that list. The secret is firewood.

Gbam!

When I was into it big time, I shuned all those industrial gas ish and always went for firewood. It makes all the difference.

If I get a contract today, it is firewood I'll still use. They know me. Highest I wear a sunscreen with high SPF and I'm good to go.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 7:42pm On Jun 16, 2020
ibkayee:

You don’t know what you’re missing tongue

Missing nothing babe. I like basmati for aesthetics, nothing more. angry
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Nobody: 7:43pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

Yes it helps.

I got the taste actually and I have done with/without parboiling. I prefer the parboiled rice for this rice. I have seen party rice being parboiled severally. grin

Ok your choice though. But butter nkor?

2 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by finebois(m): 7:43pm On Jun 16, 2020
UyaiIncomparabl:
I can bet my left breast that this will get to the front page. Someone should rape my comment, please. Thank you. cheesy
show us the left breast grin
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 7:44pm On Jun 16, 2020
Eulalia:

Gbam!

When I was into it big time, I shuned all those industrial gas ish and always went for firewood. It makes all the difference.

If I get a contract today, it is firewood I'll still use. They know me. Highest I wear a sunscreen with high SPF and I'm good to go.

And if you are in the diaspora? You go fell a tree hah? grin grin

Eulalia:

Ok your choice though. But butter nkor?

The first recipe I got had butter, didn’t like.
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by dexla(f): 7:44pm On Jun 16, 2020
This list of ingredients is too complete.
As for me I cook with pressure pot on low heat when I run out of foil paper and i get better results. I never get to open the pot until im ready to turn the rice. I also use nutmeg, gives it that unique taste but too much of it can ruin it all. The consistency of the paste is the foundation of doing it right, once its watery your party jollof cease to exist.

2 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by ibkayee(f): 7:44pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

Missing nothing babe. I like basmati for aesthetics, nothing more. angry
Basmati >>> Long grain tongue
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 7:45pm On Jun 16, 2020
Goalnaldo:
your small breasts. Bet something bigger cheesy

Have you beheld the breasts before? angry

2 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Amotekun777: 7:46pm On Jun 16, 2020
Wetin you cook so? Dis one na confirm concoction joor! angry

OP, the kain thunder wey go fire you no be for dis world.

3 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 7:47pm On Jun 16, 2020
dexla:
This list of ingredients is too complete.
As for me I cook with pressure pot on low heat when I run out of foil paper and i get better results. I never get to open the pot until im ready to turn the rice. I also use nutmeg, gives it that unique taste but too much of it can ruin it all. The consistency of the paste is the foundation of doing it right, once its watery your party jollof cease to exist.

Gbam! I used nutmeg for seasoning my chicken, didn’t bother to add in the rice again. Too much will be bad. Yea, I did state that the “water” shouldn’t be runny. It remained small and mine would pass for a “watery stew“.

2 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by angelfallz(m): 7:48pm On Jun 16, 2020
Well done.
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by obailala(m): 7:48pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

My aunt is a caterer and she doesn’t use firewood. She is a PREMIUM caterer and her jollof is bam! The secret is NOT firewood. grin

It is a type of pepper na.

Food have been burning in homes without firewood. Anything can burn food with the right intensity. Yes, burning accentuates the taste if all other is gotten right.

I didn’t say they are compulsory, they make my stock richer. Caterers use “safe“ seasonings for their stock too. So, they are not so “dispensible”.
Haha... trust me, this issue has been extensively debated by the 'council' and resources were released to conduct extensive experimentation. Of course those ingredients and processes you mentioned help to give it a richer taste, but you see that unique party taste? The burning of the rice is the key key factor which produces that aroma.

A lot of people may say firewood is the reason, but from research, all the firewood really does is to burn the food at the bottom and sides of the pot. I agree with you, food has been burning in homes, but 'burn' pass 'burn'!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Nobody: 7:49pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:
I created a thread previously; How To Make Home Made Ewa Agonyin and despite the “criticism”, I am glad it helped some people. grin

For today, I would like to remind us that we have jollof rice and we have party jollof rice. I don’t need to explain the difference between the two, we all know as e dey go. I get bored with the former, never the latter. I have watched this being cooked a few times and they didn’t put anything special, none that I saw at least, but I never quite got it. Always ended up with sweet concoction rice.

It took me sometime to figure out the process and there has been no going back.

To get this, you have to be thorough and generous with ingredients. There is really no magic.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/11740895_9fcdd30edb384100915fd777e8e92929_jpeg_jpegfd967c6fc5203a749e6281c586ea048c
this same party jollof made a guy very popular and very rich in ilorin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Pejudear(f): 7:51pm On Jun 16, 2020
@Pocohantas thank you sooo much for this recipe I'll definitely make use of it. The ewa agoin recipe was great too.We enjoyed it in my household. Thanks a lot

2 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 7:52pm On Jun 16, 2020
obailala:
Haha... trust me, this issue has been extensively debated by the 'council' and resources were released to conduct extensive experimentation. Of course those ingredients and processes you mentioned help to give it a richer taste, but you see that unique party taste? The burning of the rice is the key key factor which produces that aroma.

A lot of people may say firewood is the reason, but from research, all the firewood really does is to burn the food at the bottom and sides of the pot. I agree with you, food has been burning in homes, but 'burn' pass 'burn'!

You can as well set your home on fire burning it.

If you burn your rice from today till tomorrow and your foundation is not good, you won’t get anything. Even without burning, I got it- but burning sure tweaked it.
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by chibuikenicole: 7:52pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

Pic 1: Seasoned Chicken ready for cooking.
Pic 2: Parboiled rice (you can see it is still firm).
Pic 3: Tomato + pepper paste frying. (Watch out for how it transforms in the next post).

is crayfish not neccessary dear?
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by PericomaNwankwo: 7:54pm On Jun 16, 2020
Madam calm down my own go still sweet pass your own
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Bifakacproducts: 7:54pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

Can you at your convenience time share a recipe of that food on your profile?. I think it's called kenke or Keke, not sure if I got that right. But it's a Togo/Yoruba dish I guess
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by naptu2: 7:54pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

My aunt is a caterer and she doesn’t use firewood. She is a PREMIUM caterer and her jollof is bam! The secret is NOT firewood. grin

It is a type of pepper na.

Food have been burning in homes without firewood. Anything can burn food with the right intensity. Yes, burning accentuates the taste if all other is gotten right.

I didn’t say they are compulsory, they make my stock richer. Caterers use “safe“ seasonings for their stock too. So, they are not so “dispensible”.

You are talking about the secret to making jollof rice. There is a difference between regular jollof rice and party jollof rice. The difference is wood smoke.

Your aunt makes regular jollof rice. It might be great regular jollof rice, no argument there, but it's not party jollof rice without the wood smoke.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 7:55pm On Jun 16, 2020
chibuikenicole:

is crayfish not neccessary dear?

I honestly don’t get the concept of crayfish in party rice. You can try it and tell me how it goes. I am obsessed with crayfish, but I try not to put it here...

Pejudear:
@Pocohantas thank you sooo much for this recipe I'll definitely make use of it. The ewa agoin recipe was great too.We enjoyed it in my household. Thanks a lot

I am glad to hear that. You’re welcome.

3 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by jaxxy(m): 7:55pm On Jun 16, 2020
I’m here to learn wink
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Kabir5643(m): 7:55pm On Jun 16, 2020
Lmao. See as many gehs dey observe this thread
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by ayandee: 7:56pm On Jun 16, 2020
Nice thread but parboiling the rice isnt necessary. Which "olopo" (party cook) parboils party rice?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

You are right on this too. My friend would always ask why I want to “burn” my tomatoes. It has always given me what I want, so, why wouldn’t I burn it? cheesy I guess you are not being consistent with something.

Burning tomatoes is not what gives you that flavor. Though the flavor is gotten from a combination of a few ingredients like: dried long pepper, bay leaf, and cooking butter.

If you burn your stew, your rice will taste bitter. Its ok to burn the rice and this happens after butter is added.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 7:57pm On Jun 16, 2020
naptu2:

You are talking about the secret to making jollof rice. There is a difference between regular jollof rice and party jollof rice. The difference is wood smoke.

Your aunt makes regular jollof rice. It might be great regular jollof rice, no argument there, but it's not party jollof rice without the wood smoke.

It can be party jollof without wood smoke. Caterers have been cooking without firewood and we have been eating. Even the ones in diaspora cook without “wood smoke”.

My aunty makes premium party jollof rice.

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by naptu2: 7:57pm On Jun 16, 2020
Ishilove:

Op says most sophisticated caterers don't use firewood again.

My response.

naptu2:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 7:57pm On Jun 16, 2020
Eulalia:

Burning tomatoes is not what gives you that flavor. Though the flavor is gotten from a combination of a few ingredients like: dried long pepper, bay leaf, and cooking butter.

If you burn your stew, your rice will taste bitter. Its ok to burn the rice and this happens after butter is added.

The “burn” is in inverted comma for a reason sis.
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Nobody: 7:59pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

And if you are in the diaspora? You go fell a tree hah? grin grin

grin maybe tongue

The first recipe I got had butter, didn’t like.
oh...ok then. But its a must for me.

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by naptu2: 7:59pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

It can be party jollof without wood smoke. Caterers have been cooking without firewood and we have been eating. Even the ones in diaspora cook without “wood smoke”.

My aunty makes premium party jollof rice.

grin grin grin

Nobody says that caterers have not been cooking without firewood and nobody says that people have not been eating. The issue is the difference between party jollof rice and regular jollof rice. What is the difference between regular jollof rice and party jollof?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Signs To Know You've Entered An Overpriced Restaurant. SHINE YA EYES! (Photos) / The Food I Saw Versus The Food I Cooked / What's The Price Of A 50kg Bag Of Rice In Your Area In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.