Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,022 members, 7,818,024 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:04 AM

Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice (54535 Views)

The Best Method Of Cooking Nigerian Egusi Soup / A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) / Gambia Beat Nigeria , Ghana And Senegal In Jollof Rice Competition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 4:57pm On Jun 16, 2020
Sterope:
I read a blog that says that white pepper helps with the party taste. I should try that.

I don't have the patience to wait for the evaporation grin. I pour everything in and steam the hell out of it. It comes out nice but not as nice as party jollof rice. My mum manages to get the party taste with tomato passata, red bell peppers, onions and ata rodo. I don't know how.

Basmati can actually be really good especially the golden sella and supreme sella types of basmati rice. Have you tried cooking jollof in multicooker?

When you hear “white pepper”, you will think it is a fancy pepper, but e dey catch. A friend just introduced it to me and I love the difference it made.

I checked for the basmati you recommended, couldn’t get it at the closest spar. I got something else that is really nice, but I just don’t like it for this purpose.

Your impatience is the problem. The difference between two meals is sometimes patience... cheesy grin

Never tried a multicooker. I don’t think I will try it sef. I am local like that.

2 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 4:58pm On Jun 16, 2020
J111333:
Chai. I won't mind borrowing money to pay 580k brideprice on this one head and I go contribute 120k towards her brother marriage too.

Poco, shebi your papa go accept mek I pay installments? Aswear, I go finish paying in just 25years time, e no go pass am. grin

You were on a mission to turn me into a vintage newspaper. For 2yrs you kept saying this same thing, but God pass you! grin

11 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 4:58pm On Jun 16, 2020
Mariangeles:

Why you been come carry contract give Tico na? You suppose fit handle am
cheesy

Na long story nnem. Sometimes body dey tire person na. cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 4:59pm On Jun 16, 2020
izzou:

And you had the guts to call freelancers hermits?

angry angry angry

Are they not?? ? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by 1Sharon(f): 5:07pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

I saw the need to parboil this rice because of its starch content. The foil is to trap all steam and ensure it cooks with minimal water and heat. I don’t think it conflicts anyway with the parboiling.
Does it?

No, cos the foil would remove the need to parboil since it makes the rice could quicker with the steam
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by makydebbie(f): 5:18pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:
So, NIGERIAN JOLLOF RICE OR GHANAIAN JOLLOF RICE?

Let’s not go into that one. A good cook would make a good jollof rice. You can take it with salad, fried plantain...gizdodo, etc.

Feel free to replicate this. You can ask questions too.

Chai this be my birthday rice by fire by force. grin

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 6:15pm On Jun 16, 2020
makydebbie:

Chai this be my birthday rice by fire by force. grin

It is all for you baby. kiss kiss
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by mikeybrainy: 6:40pm On Jun 16, 2020
please picture of white pepper
Pocohantas
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Mykel51(m): 6:40pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:
So, NIGERIAN JOLLOF RICE OR GHANAIAN JOLLOF RICE?

Let’s not go into that one. A good cook would make a good jollof rice. You can take it with salad, fried plantain...gizdodo, etc.

Feel free to replicate this. You can ask questions too.

Really nice, you re a good chef.

2 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 6:44pm On Jun 16, 2020
mikeybrainy:
please picture of white pepper

Pocohantas

Here it is...

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Yankee101: 7:17pm On Jun 16, 2020
Burn it, simple

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by ufondunenye(f): 7:17pm On Jun 16, 2020
A
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by olisaEze(m): 7:18pm On Jun 16, 2020
Hmm... just use firewood, na im bi d flavor. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Dre19: 7:20pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:
I created a thread previously; How To Make Home Made Ewa Agonyin and despite the “criticism”, I am glad it helped some people. grin

For today, I would like to remind us that we have jollof rice and we have party jollof rice. I don’t need to explain the difference between the two, we all know as e dey go. I get bored with the former, never the latter. I have watched this being cooked a few times and they didn’t put anything special, none that I saw at least, but I never quite got it. Always ended up with sweet concoction rice.

It took me sometime to figure out the process and there has been no going back.

To get this, you have to be thorough and generous with ingredients. There is really no magic.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/11740895_9fcdd30edb384100915fd777e8e92929_jpeg_jpegfd967c6fc5203a749e6281c586ea048c
fire wood
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by sisisioge: 7:20pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

Pic 1: Tomatoes after it has fried properly. Can you see the difference? Not frying your tomatoes well is what makes you have that “slap” taste. cheesy
Pic 2: Water level for cooking.
Pic 3: Rice after absorbing stock.
Pic 4: Covering with foil.

I had no idea foil or nylon is used at all to keep them evenly cook abi...Lesson learnt! Oya jollof rice come this Sunday grin grin

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Dpsychologist: 7:20pm On Jun 16, 2020
This thread is for foodies like me

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by kingola87(m): 7:21pm On Jun 16, 2020
Just make sure say the rice burn, if not, all this ingredients na zero
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by DragnetisaKuk(f): 7:22pm On Jun 16, 2020
As a wise man once said, the best ladies on Nairaland are in the Food section.

Nice thread Poco. Let me be saving these recipes. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by obailala(m): 7:25pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:
I created a thread previously; How To Make Home Made Ewa Agonyin and despite the “criticism”, I am glad it helped some people. grin

For today, I would like to remind us that we have jollof rice and we have party jollof rice. I don’t need to explain the difference between the two, we all know as e dey go. I get bored with the former, never the latter. I have watched this being cooked a few times and they didn’t put anything special, none that I saw at least, but I never quite got it. Always ended up with sweet concoction rice.

It took me sometime to figure out the process and there has been no going back.

To get this, you have to be thorough and generous with ingredients. There is really no magic.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/11740895_9fcdd30edb384100915fd777e8e92929_jpeg_jpegfd967c6fc5203a749e6281c586ea048c

@pocohantas

After intensive research on the secret behind party jollof rice, I stumbled upon something which I can tell you with absolute confidence is the only magic ingredient - FIREWOOD. All those other ingredients you mentioned are dispensible.

Following further research on the 'how' and the 'why' firewood does the magic, I discovered something else; firewood always burns the sides of the pot. In summary, the real taste of party jollof comes from burning the rice.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Akalia(m): 7:26pm On Jun 16, 2020
UyaiIncomparabl:
I can bet my left breast that this will get to the front page. Someone should rape my comment, please. Thank you. cheesy
see wetin dey comoth from your mouth. Bad gal.

2 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Ishilove: 7:26pm On Jun 16, 2020
What is white pepper?
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Damminix: 7:28pm On Jun 16, 2020
Is it only me that's getting the aroma while reading cheesy cheesy
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by naptu2: 7:29pm On Jun 16, 2020
Ishilove:
What is white pepper?

The secret to Nigerian party jollof rice is not in that list. The secret is firewood.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Judolisco(m): 7:30pm On Jun 16, 2020
UyaiIncomparabl:
I can bet my left breast that this will get to the front page. Someone should rape my comment, please. Thank you. cheesy
ur left breast is safe for now...

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by bellenornor(f): 7:32pm On Jun 16, 2020
Jollof rice without crayfish?!
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by stubbornman(m): 7:33pm On Jun 16, 2020
Where's the part you add Sugar undecided undecided

Very incomplete list sad sad
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Ishilove: 7:34pm On Jun 16, 2020
naptu2:

The secret to Nigerian party jollof rice is not in that list. The secret is firewood.
Op says most sophisticated caterers don't use firewood again.

3 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jun 16, 2020
This is your own self-made delicacy not party jollof.

Party jollof rice is not parboiled. Its washed with hot water. And the method is quite different. And you dont use white pepper for jollof but for fried and Chinese rice tongue

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 7:36pm On Jun 16, 2020
naptu2:

My aunt is a caterer and she doesn’t use firewood. She is a PREMIUM caterer and her jollof is bam! The secret is NOT firewood. grin

Ishilove:
What is white pepper?

It is a type of pepper na.

obailala:

@pocohantas

After intensive research on the secret behind party jollof rice, I stumbled upon something which I can say with confidence is the only magic ingredient - FIREWOOD. All those other ingredients you mentioned are actually dispensible.

Following further research on the 'how' and the 'why' firewood does the magic, I discovered something else; firewood always burns the sides of the pot. In summary, the real taste of party jollof comes from burning the rice.

Food has been burning in homes without firewood. Anything can burn food with the right intensity. Yes, burning accentuates the taste if all other is gotten right.

I didn’t say they are compulsory, they make my stock richer. Caterers use “safe“ seasonings for their stock too. So, they are not so “dispensible”.

6 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by abike12(f): 7:36pm On Jun 16, 2020
looks good! I still don't have the liver to use basmati for jollof rice.

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 7:38pm On Jun 16, 2020
sisisioge:
[/b]

I had no idea foil or nylon is used at all to keep them evenly cook abi...Lesson learnt! Oya jollof rice come this Sunday grin grin

Yes it helps.

Eulalia:
This is your own self-made delicacy not party jollof.

Party jollof rice is not parboiled. Its washed with hot water. And the method is quite different.

I got the taste actually and I have done with/without parboiling. I prefer the parboiled rice for this rice. I have seen party rice being parboiled severally. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Millet In Nigeria: / Pharmacist Angry As The ₦2,500 Food He Ordered Was Packaged With Ponmo & Egg / Signs To Know You've Entered An Overpriced Restaurant. SHINE YA EYES! (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.