Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,995 members, 7,825,077 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:54 AM

Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice - Food (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice (54649 Views)

The Best Method Of Cooking Nigerian Egusi Soup / A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) / Gambia Beat Nigeria , Ghana And Senegal In Jollof Rice Competition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Mariangeles(f): 9:53am On Jun 17, 2020
DIVINEEVIDENCE:

Are you KARMA?

Enyi go get a job.
Karma ain't looking for no volunteers.

Hahahahahahahahahaha
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Tallesty1(m): 10:22am On Jun 17, 2020
pocohantas:

I really had to add that. I remember asking my aunt how she gets the number of plates for occasions. She said 1cup is for 1 person. Lord knows I can’t finish 1 cup at once and I know people that can eat two. I wonder how my aunt caters for such “abnormal“ people. cheesy cheesy

I will be waiting for your feedback. wink
And a feedback ye shall surely get.

But that's if it turned out well otherwise I will park well and pretend I didn't try it at all.

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by thecuteone(m): 11:07am On Jun 17, 2020
Ok
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Nickymezor(f): 11:39am On Jun 17, 2020
Why didn't you use the bay leaf? Saw it in ur list.
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 11:47am On Jun 17, 2020
Nickymezor:
Why didn't you use the bay leaf? Saw it in ur list.

I used it. It is right there in the rice.
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Nickymezor(f): 11:51am On Jun 17, 2020
pocohantas:

I used it. It is right there in the rice.
Really? At what step?
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 12:05pm On Jun 17, 2020
Nickymezor:
Really? At what step?

I used majority of those spices in my chicken. The stock was good and I didn’t see the need to overwhelm the rice with extra.

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Nickymezor(f): 12:09pm On Jun 17, 2020
pocohantas:

I used majority of those spices in my chicken. The stock was good and I didn’t see the need to overwhelm the rice with extra.
Okay. I get you
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jun 17, 2020
ceeceeuwa:

Which one is "liquid smoke" again? Please can you post a pics?
Something like this.

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jun 17, 2020
pocohantas:

Please share your recipe. I no wan dey hear firewood firewood biko. I no get firewood and I wan chop rice.

The traditional ofe akwù jollof rice we cook in igboland is very smokey. More Smokey than party jollof rice. It's hardly cooked for big gathering. I think its because its very expensive to cook as it has selected ingredients u must use.

The authentic banga jollof for my side must include dry fish or smoked fish and crayfish. All these are Smokey.
With or without the rice burning, u will perceive the smokines miles away. We have modified it a lot but when we go to the village for Xmas e.g., the mamas will insist we use those traditional ingredients. Then add your scent leave generously. Enugu people add okpei.

The other smoked rice I have had the opportunity to eat is from idoma people benue state. I don't know how they cook this rice, but, coming from a picky eater like me, their rice is on another level. They used meat, stockfish and okpei. The rest I don't know. There is tomato too. They actually dared me to taste it and they won.

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Iceyjayz: 3:04pm On Jun 17, 2020
pocohantas:
So, NIGERIAN JOLLOF RICE OR GHANAIAN JOLLOF RICE?

Let’s not go into that one. A good cook would make a good jollof rice. You can take it with salad, fried plantain...gizdodo, etc.

Feel free to replicate this. You can ask questions too.

You wey no sabi cook
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by ceeceeuwa: 4:32pm On Jun 17, 2020
sassysure:

Something like this.
Thanks! I just looked it up... It will end put an end to smokey party jollof arguement.
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by shumuel(m): 4:49pm On Jun 17, 2020
pocohantas:

Why? grin grin
I don’t know what your gravy is, but stock is absolutely correct.

Okay, its new to me
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Akposy(m): 6:28pm On Jun 17, 2020
pocohantas:
So, NIGERIAN JOLLOF RICE OR GHANAIAN JOLLOF RICE?

Let’s not go into that one. A good cook would make a good jollof rice. You can take it with salad, fried plantain...gizdodo, etc.

Feel free to replicate this. You can ask questions too.

Well done madam Poco. I have learnt 2 new tricks.

I wish to create a thread like this soon but....
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 4:54pm On Jun 18, 2020
Akposy:

Well done madam Poco. I have learnt 2 new tricks.

I wish to create a thread like this soon but....

Please do create a thread, especially pastries. Tag me, because I struggle with that.

Meanwhile, thanks for all the contributions here.
@Elvispresley, Eulalia and all. I just cooked a fairly large rice. Maintained every other basic ingredient, reintroduced the butter and deleted parboiling. Came out really nice! I wonder what I missed in the butter before. Maybe brand or quantity? grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by ElvisPresley(m): 5:17pm On Jun 18, 2020
pocohantas:

Please do create a thread, especially pastries. Tag me, because I struggle with that.

@Elvispresley, Eulalia and all. I just cooked a fairly large rice. Maintained every other basic ingredient, reintroduced the butter and deleted parboiling. Came out really nice! I wonder what I missed in the butter before. Maybe brand or quantity? grin grin

You're welcome dear... I guess it's the brand concerning the butter ish... What typa food are you posting next please?.. And hope you haven't forgotten about the Jollof rice 'orgy'...Lol
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jun 18, 2020
pocohantas:

Wow.. Good to know cheesy.
I tot as much about the butter. Maybe brand quality.

You rock girlie cheesy
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 6:30pm On Jun 18, 2020
ElvisPresley:

You're welcome dear... I guess it's the brand concerning the butter ish... What typa food are you posting next please?.. And hope you haven't forgotten about the Jollof rice 'orgy'...Lol

Maybe it is the brand. I used Summerfield County, which happens to be my favourite brand. I only tried president because it was mentioned here.

Nahhhh. I don’t forget anything that has to do with food o. Thanks a lot. cheesy

I don’t know yet, I am trying not to cook, so that I won’t eat too much. Lol.

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 6:32pm On Jun 18, 2020
Eulalia:

Wow.. Good to know cheesy.
I tot as much about the butter. Maybe brand quality.

You rock girlie cheesy

Thanks sis. Nairaland saving lives. Since I took expo from here, I say make I report back. wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by ElvisPresley(m): 6:51pm On Jun 18, 2020
pocohantas:

Maybe it is the brand. I used Summerfield County, which happens to be my favourite brand. I only tried president because it was mentioned here.

Nahhhh. I don’t forget anything that has to do with food o. Thanks a lot. cheesy

I don’t know yet, I am trying not to cook, so that I won’t eat too much. Lol.

You trying not to cook so you won't eat too much... Lol... I know that feeling fr fr...But please try and make a new post ASAP so we could see more of those fresh hands of yours...

2 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Nobody: 9:07pm On Jun 18, 2020
pocohantas:

Thanks sis. Nairaland saving lives. Since I took expo from here, I say make I report back. wink

You're welcome dear.
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Akposy(m): 7:13pm On Jun 20, 2020
pocohantas:

Please do create a thread, especially pastries. Tag me, because I struggle with that

Sure! I'm 99% ready....I'll tag you

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by kushme: 5:35am On Jun 21, 2020
pocohantas:

Posted earlier...

Make I repost for you and Ishilove.

So, na this fine hand she dey take type words to dizz men..
At least, I see one better thing eh dey do.. Jollof. cheesy
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Tapout(m): 6:28am On Jun 21, 2020
dexla:
This list of ingredients is too complete.
As for me I cook with pressure pot on low heat when I run out of foil paper and i get better results. I never get to open the pot until im ready to turn the rice. I also use nutmeg, gives it that unique taste but too much of it can ruin it all. The consistency of the paste is the foundation of doing it right, once its watery your party jollof cease to exist.

Nutmeg! That thing ruined my food the very first and only time I used it to cook and ever since then (more than 6 years now) I don't meddle in its affairs no more. The heartbreaking part was that twas in the night, finished cooking food and could not eat it and there was nothing else in the house except garri. That's how I drank garri that night without milk or sugar looking at pot of rice I couldn't eat. Last year December, my younger sister wanted to bake cake for the house and needed assistance with funds. I collected her list and saw nutmeg, I gave her bk and told her to remove the nutmeg or she's on her own. Babe went to get the things she needed and I searched her at the gate and still kept her company till she closed the oven. cheesy i later got to know excess of it can cause hallucinations, very weird stuff.

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 2:44pm On Jun 21, 2020
Tapout:

Nutmeg! That thing ruined my food the very first and only time I used it to cook and ever since then (more than 6 years now) I don't meddle in its affairs no more. The heartbreaking part was that twas in the night, finished cooking food and could not eat it and there was nothing else in the house except garri. That's how I drank garri that night without milk or sugar looking at pot of rice I couldn't eat. Last year December, my younger sister wanted to bake cake for the house and needed assistance with funds. I collected her list and saw nutmeg, I gave her bk and told her to remove the nutmeg or she's on her own. Babe went to get the things she needed and I searched her at the gate and still kept her company till she closed the oven. cheesy i later got to know excess of it can cause hallucinations, very weird stuff.

Excess of every seasoning would end badly. That is why I always buy my seasonings in containers that have sprinklers. If the sprinkler is too big, I will open it and use sellotape to close some holes.

The problem wasn’t the nutmeg, the problem was the quantity you used.

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by BoncoBoy: 2:54pm On Jun 21, 2020
ElvisPresley:

And by the way, do you think most of these top class canteens use firewood for their Jollof rice? There's a woman at Ikeja...Oh damn, her Jollof rice is 'heavenly'..Imagine driving from the island to Ikeja cos of her rice... Lol... Funny thing is she uses a Gas cooker.
Please chairman where in ikeja? Would love to have a taste of that jollof rice.
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by ElvisPresley(m): 3:15pm On Jun 21, 2020
BoncoBoy:

Please chairman where in ikeja? Would love to have a taste of that jollof rice.

Allen roundabout.... Just ask of Iya Mayowa canteen...
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Mariangeles(f): 3:50pm On Jun 21, 2020
Tapout:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha grin
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Tapout(m): 3:51pm On Jun 21, 2020
pocohantas:

Excess of every seasoning would end badly. That is why I always buy my seasonings in containers that have sprinklers. If the sprinkler is too big, I will open it and use sellotape to close some holes.

The problem wasn’t the nutmeg, the problem was the quantity you used.

Yeah..I remember I used it like regular seasoning. But I'm not doing again Biko, inukwa ije mu na nutmeg grin grin (my experience with nutmeg) I'll rather grind kola nut and put in my food instead.

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Tapout(m): 3:53pm On Jun 21, 2020
Mariangeles:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha grin

it wasn't funny when I threw the food away in the morning cry grin grin

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by BoncoBoy: 4:04pm On Jun 21, 2020
ElvisPresley:

Allen roundabout.... Just ask of Iya Mayowa canteen...
Thanks boss

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by topboss: 8:03pm On Jun 22, 2020
ufondunenye:
A

girl, dat ass needs an award.

hot! wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

What's The Price Of A 50kg Bag Of Rice In Your Area In Nigeria / Naija Man Makes The Best Okra Soup In Brazil! (pix) / See The River Fish I Bought For N1,000 In Bauchi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.