Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,111 members, 7,818,317 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:30 PM

Living With My Married Elder Sister - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Living With My Married Elder Sister (102064 Views)

How Do I Tell My Unmarried Elder Sister That She Is Getting Too Old? / My Married Elder Brother Is Having An Affair With An Igbo gold digger / My Dad's Elder Sister's Son's Child Is My What.. Answers Please. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living With My Married Elder Sister by Chandeliers: 8:35pm On Jun 18, 2020
Well, it's understandable that you had to find a place to ease out the burden on your mind... All the same, it can't be as bad as you deem ...to be precise, something you don't have influence on is your sister's attitude. A lot of folks would have been there before...pls bear it for the while it lasts as long as it isn't turning into an abuse. You have limited time in that house..It'll pass before you know it
Re: Living With My Married Elder Sister by AmazingMOG: 8:35pm On Jun 18, 2020
Adunny07:
Please I just really need someone to talk to about this and I will like your candid advise..

So since my older sister got married I always come to her house and spend few weeks or months and go back. Al·through my university days, whenever school is not in session I always come down here to spend time with her and her husband.

Truth be told the husband is a very nice man and has helped me always financially, anytime I come here once my sister welcomes me the first day like this, from the second day she leaves all her house chores for me, I mean everything and she just relaxes. At times I get really tired and don't even feel like doing those chores but because most times when I come visiting she is heavy ( pregnant) so most times I just help her...

Thing is my sister doesn't appreciate all my effort, most times she complains self its the hubby that tells her that I am hardworking and at least she should give me credit for all I do.

Now the reason why am writing this is because am done with service (NYSC) and as it is its like I have to stay in her house because the state where she stays has more job opportunities compared to where our parents live... She stays in Abuja...I have been down with malaria for few days now and I have been on treatment, just because I can't do certain house chores because am not too strong my sis started complaining saying I can't be living in her house and be waking up whenever i like... Mind you I was always the first that wakes up when I wasn't sick, in fact I will wash the dishes, sweep, mop daily, cook food, bath her children and all those things.

The only thing she does is to bath her youngest baby, but now because for these few days she has been doing those work I do daily she is already saying she can't tolerate me sleeping and not waking up on time.

My question is this, does she have the right to be so angry at me because she is doing her house chores? I feel its her house and so she doing her house chores herself shouldn't be a problem since am not too strong to help her do it. She herself just sweep and doesn't mop, but she expects me to sweep and mop everyday.

Should i just go back to my parents house and get a job there? Me renting my own house is not an option because am a lady and am just 22...

Please i need you guys advice, what can I do?
pls go back to your parents house and I pray for you today you’ll have your heart desires.

If I be a man or God!
Re: Living With My Married Elder Sister by Kay25(m): 8:36pm On Jun 18, 2020
If your parent can afford you staying with them just go back let her be when she does it herself over time she will learn to be appreciative
Re: Living With My Married Elder Sister by esthervera(f): 8:36pm On Jun 18, 2020
To live with a stranger is better than to live with a relative at times,you have to endure for now,but have it at d back of ur mind that she will be tougher than this wen u get a job bcs u won't be always available to help her.so have a plan B

2 Likes

Re: Living With My Married Elder Sister by Ennyholar: 8:37pm On Jun 18, 2020
Re: Living With My Married Elder Sister by jaxxy(m): 8:38pm On Jun 18, 2020
Adunny07:
Please I just really need someone to talk to about this and I will like your candid advise..

So since my older sister got married I always come to her house and spend few weeks or months and go back. Al·through my university days, whenever school is not in session I always come down here to spend time with her and her husband.

Truth be told the husband is a very nice man and has helped me always financially, anytime I come here once my sister welcomes me the first day like this, from the second day she leaves all her house chores for me, I mean everything and she just relaxes. At times I get really tired and don't even feel like doing those chores but because most times when I come visiting she is heavy ( pregnant) so most times I just help her...

Thing is my sister doesn't appreciate all my effort, most times she complains self its the hubby that tells her that I am hardworking and at least she should give me credit for all I do.

Now the reason why am writing this is because am done with service (NYSC) and as it is its like I have to stay in her house because the state where she stays has more job opportunities compared to where our parents live... She stays in Abuja...I have been down with malaria for few days now and I have been on treatment, just because I can't do certain house chores because am not too strong my sis started complaining saying I can't be living in her house and be waking up whenever i like... Mind you I was always the first that wakes up when I wasn't sick, in fact I will wash the dishes, sweep, mop daily, cook food, bath her children and all those things.

The only thing she does is to bath her youngest baby, but now because for these few days she has been doing those work I do daily she is already saying she can't tolerate me sleeping and not waking up on time.

My question is this, does she have the right to be so angry at me because she is doing her house chores? I feel its her house and so she doing her house chores herself shouldn't be a problem since am not too strong to help her do it. She herself just sweep and doesn't mop, but she expects me to sweep and mop everyday.

Should i just go back to my parents house and get a job there? Me renting my own house is not an option because am a lady and am just 22...

Tell ur mom already. Let her intervene. It’s clear ur sis is being ridiculous.
Re: Living With My Married Elder Sister by LoveThemChubby(m): 8:38pm On Jun 18, 2020
Truth is that she has the right to complain as it is her house but it is not good for her to do so. Most sisters do that because they feel like they are doing you a favour. This mindset is what makes to go seldom recognize the great effort you put in. I will advice that you go back to your parents and keep applying for jobs because the issues will continue and the quarrel will become worse when you secure a job (she will feel you are not helping out enough because you now feel big because of your job and you will also not feel comfortable going the extra mile anymore and might become more antahonistic towards her qiarrels. This can end up destroying the family relationship if not properly managed). On the other hand, you can stay and endure, knowing that it is for a while.

2 Likes

Re: Living With My Married Elder Sister by Kobicove(m): 8:38pm On Jun 18, 2020
Adunny07:
Please I just really need someone to talk to about this and...

Me renting my own house is not an option because am a lady and am just 22...

Finish up and go back to your parents house, you can conduct your job search from there, only come to your sister's house when you need to attend interviews in Abuja
Re: Living With My Married Elder Sister by lexylexy9: 8:38pm On Jun 18, 2020
Work the way she wants for the next one week, then go spend one month with your parents, look out for opportunities there too. She will miss u and want u back. Am sure she will appreciate u when u eventually come back
Re: Living With My Married Elder Sister by Babaibejii: 8:40pm On Jun 18, 2020
Adunny07:

She is Lazy, just try and find a way and move and dump her lazy ass
Re: Living With My Married Elder Sister by GistFullGround: 8:41pm On Jun 18, 2020

YOU ARE SO FULL OF YOURSELF; HUMILITY IS THE KEY TO LIFE!

Re: Living With My Married Elder Sister by dalass(f): 8:42pm On Jun 18, 2020
Adunny07:

You are lazy...

Your sister did all those chores singlehandedly without you darling.... ladies nowadays just want to press phone... Browse into the wee hours and form sick...

My two cents.... Go back home or better still, get your own accommodation... Cis you can't be there and not help her... You won't be there for long anyway. Whatever you learn will help you in your own home too.. grin
Re: Living With My Married Elder Sister by Aghaclem67: 8:43pm On Jun 18, 2020
Adunny07:

From my experience you are economical with the truth. The truth is that most youths within your age bracket are always busy with their phone. There is no way your sister will not appreciate you if you are doing all those things you mentioned. Moreover you are doing those things as if she is punishing you that is why you see it as a big task. If you do them with happiness you will discover that they are nothing. She is giving you a serious training, preparing your how to handle your own domestic chores when you eventually marry. Work does not kill rather it makes one stronger. It is only the lazy ones who complains of everything including dish washing. Are you washing for the whole of Abuja. Look for work any way but don't use as an excuse not to help in the house chore. See it as what you are doing for yourself and it will less burden to you. I wish you good luck.

1 Like

Re: Living With My Married Elder Sister by NiCurious: 8:43pm On Jun 18, 2020
Greatzeus:
I know how you feel Op,but that feeling is wrong as long as you live under her roof. You feel that you are not her maid so why should you be doing all her work,see girl, humble your self,try to do all she asked of you,you are a woman,you should even enjoy doing chores,if you want to enjoy your stay at her house, please just do as she says.
If you think you can't cope with the work or stress,go back home to your parents. That's the only choice you have if you want to enjoy your stay and want to avoid rancour.

Listening to advice like that above will not help you grow.
1. Your feelings are your feelings. They are not right or wrong, they are just your feelings. Are they compatible with your housing situation? No. So you can swallow your feelings, or you can honour them and leave that house.
2. She should enjoy doing chores because she is a woman? Seriously? Bukatyne replied to this already. Helping in the house you are staying in is definitely correct, though, especially those times your sister is pregnant.
3. If you think you can't cope with the work or stress...think of a list of other options. Don't say the only choice is to go back to your parents. Deciding in advance that you only have one choice, limits you from seeing others. Renting a room with a friend is another option that comes to mind. Or renting a room by yourself. At 22 you are old enough to have a taste of running your own household, make you les sheltered, and more independent. Which brings me to the next point.
4. If you and your sister have a break from each other, she will appreciate better the work that you did for her, when you are not there doing it, and in turn, you will appreciate what goes into running a household, if only on a small scale, when you are doing it yourself. You will both benefit from you moving out. It will also leave you more time for your job search.
Re: Living With My Married Elder Sister by Solatium(m): 8:45pm On Jun 18, 2020
Adunny07:

If you know what is good for you,go back to your parents home.
You can make job applications online and attend interview when called upon.
If you stay back na fight go end am laslas
Re: Living With My Married Elder Sister by Temitope1759(f): 8:45pm On Jun 18, 2020
Being independent is never an easy thing. But can start by starting a small business like helping people pay for electricity and airtime. You can start by dialling *737#.
Re: Living With My Married Elder Sister by Vulcan24(m): 8:47pm On Jun 18, 2020
you are a lady, she's a woman
both of you are virtual lazy species, she's just having a upper hand now cos it's her house

my candid advise.... do the chores and ignore the complains, and be very mindful you don't sacrifice your career pursuit and job seeking for washing of plates and sweeping.

it's a phase in life that 70% of men and women have passed through.

As a guy I cleaned a whole duplex regularly,and did gateman and some other cooking even did gardening for my aunt before she fix me a good job

today I laff when wife complain of work , I just go do it with ease no hassle

work no dey kill, it makes u better

going back to ur parent will make u worse and laid back.... u need a stimulating env

thank God u av a sister that gives u work

3 Likes

Re: Living With My Married Elder Sister by Champneys: 8:47pm On Jun 18, 2020
Adunny07:

Ok.
Re: Living With My Married Elder Sister by colossus91(m): 8:48pm On Jun 18, 2020
Adunny I had same experience,my sis that is older than me with 2years would rest me.like trash and glorify the uneducated and lazy younger brother of the hubby just cos I was staying with them then after my nysc,I just had to learn digital marketing,now I am in the IT world..

God has been faithful,my point is make a move and God will crown your efforts!!

1 Like

Re: Living With My Married Elder Sister by Goodman247: 8:48pm On Jun 18, 2020
You either rent your own house because you are a grown ass woman or go back to your parents
Re: Living With My Married Elder Sister by Eileene(f): 8:50pm On Jun 18, 2020
Adunny07:

If she really is ur blood sister try to do those work with ur heart while looking for job opportunities.
Situations like this build you up to be a better person.
Have had cause to stay with relatives who made me work too hard but today i realise those things helped me to be strong.
Besides their prayers still works for me today.
we can't run away from pple tomoro u myt need to put up with troublesome in-laws wat will u do then.U can't run away all the time see it as a test to build up ur endurance level.
Btw some women are more quarrelsome wen pregnant.
When u are sick show it well so that she will even be afraid to tell u stand up sef.

1 Like

Re: Living With My Married Elder Sister by kingriches2005: 8:50pm On Jun 18, 2020
just try and rent your own house if you have the money.
Re: Living With My Married Elder Sister by Vulcan24(m): 8:51pm On Jun 18, 2020
Aghaclem67:

From my experience you are economical with the truth. The truth is that most youths within your age bracket are always busy with their phone. There is no way your sister will not appreciate you if you are doing all those things you mentioned. Moreover you are doing those things as if she is punishing you that is why you see it as a big task. If you do them with happiness you will discover that they are nothing. She is giving you a serious training, preparing your how to handle your own domestic chores when you eventually marry. Work does not kill rather it makes one stronger. It is only the lazy ones who complains of everything including dish washing. Are you washing for the whole of Abuja. Look for work any way but don't use as an excuse not to help in the house chore. See it as what you are doing for yourself and it will les us burden to you. I wish you good luck.

Godbless u plentiful
Re: Living With My Married Elder Sister by Ten06(m): 8:51pm On Jun 18, 2020
I didn't bother to finish reading the story. please, you have graduated, find your way from her house and start fending for yourself. If you are afraid to leave and face the world head on then you can continue to live there and start playing the role of a full house maid and continue to eat free food and receive peanuts. Your sister has tried her best for you
Re: Living With My Married Elder Sister by friday2011(m): 8:53pm On Jun 18, 2020
Adunny07:

The truth is your sister is the type that believes you cant leave with her and not assist in house chores, thank God you are her sister, if it were to be the husband family, by now they would have done some family meeting ontop your sister head, thank God her husband appreciate...

Once you are better, do what you can do, body no be stone, even she no dey do reach as you dey do am, watch her, if she continues to grumble, pls pack your load and go back to your parents house, before she will turn you to maid.
Re: Living With My Married Elder Sister by Lekan239(m): 8:54pm On Jun 18, 2020
We wey dey 25years and still in school, una Sha wan make us think die

1 Like

Re: Living With My Married Elder Sister by Bomiaye: 8:54pm On Jun 18, 2020
Go down on your knees and pray for God to give you a job and intensify your efforts to get one. Please endure because you will learn a lot there, both good and bad and it will all help you to be a better person and a better wife and mother when you leave there. I went thru a similar experience n when it was looking like it won't end, God made a way out for me. He will do the same for you.
Re: Living With My Married Elder Sister by tunary(m): 8:55pm On Jun 18, 2020
How can your blood sister from same father and mother be responding this way. human beings self
Re: Living With My Married Elder Sister by King44(m): 8:55pm On Jun 18, 2020
oluwaseyi0:

Typical of African wife, they devalue their own family but worship the ground their in-law walks on
Yinmu... What of those that devalue the husband's family to a greater extent and worship their own family.

1 Like

Re: Living With My Married Elder Sister by Crownstar01: 8:56pm On Jun 18, 2020
Adunny07:

You gonna go home.
Re: Living With My Married Elder Sister by goldensoul55: 8:57pm On Jun 18, 2020
As a graduate don't just sit and do house chores. Dress up each day and go job hunting , get yourself busy even if it's not your dream job ,just so something , anything even if it's a vocational training .but DON'T sit at home she can continue to enslave and make you jobless and hopeless till you turn 30

1 Like

Re: Living With My Married Elder Sister by vikithor(m): 8:57pm On Jun 18, 2020
Aunty complainer
You have been supportive with house chores whenever you are,around, its bit amusing n commenable that you often come steadily when your sister is pregnant and get 'paid' nay rewarded by the husband.
Letting your sister to understand you are not sound in health shouldn't be difficult, for her to understand your health condition and work around shouldn't be issue either,telling her husband of if its out of control might help, or look at the atmosphere, motives, attitude seen or unseen handwritings on the wall to know if you can continue staying

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Wife Bathes Husband With Hot Water For Sleeping With Her Mother (Graphic Pics) / I Am Sex Starved, My Marriage Is Falling Apart / Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.