Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,226 members, 7,829,383 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:51 AM

My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? (33559 Views)

Raising Cockerels For Meat. An Economically Feasible Venture? / How To Successfully Rear Local Chickens/fowls For Money / For Sale, Local Chickens For Breeding/hatching Turkey, Guinea Fowl Eggs. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by sodeeqsulaimon88(m): 3:13pm On Jul 13, 2020
Farouq94:

Lol yes the local roosters enjoy a good chase. But most time the hens are willing to mate with the rooster. Because a broiler is not as rugged, if you lock them in a cage they will surely mate.

Broiler breeders are the parent stock of DOC broilers. They are a male and female grown broilers that will mate and lay eggs. So when those eggs hatch, you rear them as meat birds.
What are the measures to be taken when swapping the eggs so as not to make it unhatchable.

which crossing will you Advice
meat wisely and Egg laying
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by GafarOlatunji: 4:01pm On Jul 13, 2020
Good day everyone....This is a very nice and educative thread I ever come across on nairaland, I appreciate you our boss in the house for your continues efforts for answering questions, and for your research making, you people are doing so well.

Pls, How can I raise my broiler breeder , is there a particular broiler that turn out to breeder at maturity , or I can get any broiler of my choice and raise for 5-6 months?
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by sodeeqsulaimon88(m): 4:37pm On Jul 13, 2020
Where can we get the fulani hen and which distinctive attribute do they have so as to recognise them when we see them in the market.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Redman44(m): 5:45pm On Jul 13, 2020
sodeeqsulaimon88:
Where can we get the fulani hen and which distinctive attribute do they have so as to recognise them when we see them in the market.

Check Agege Market, Mile 12 Market ( Ketu ) or any open Market with a significant number of Hausa-Fulani Nigerians selling foodstuff there. Ask the Mallam traders for their hen and cockerels. They will direct you to where to get them. I am sure you will find what you want at Agege Market. Cheers.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by sodeeqsulaimon88(m): 5:57pm On Jul 13, 2020
Redman44:

Check Agege Market, Mile 12 Market ( Ketu ) or any open Market with a significant number of Hausa-Fulani Nigerians selling foodstuff there. Ask the Mallam traders for their hen and cockerels. They will direct you to where to get them. I am sure you will find what you want at Agege Market. Cheers.
Thank you sir buh I live around Ikorodu
is it possible for me to get at sabo
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Redman44(m): 6:04pm On Jul 13, 2020
sodeeqsulaimon88:
Thank you sir buh I live around Ikorodu
is it possible for me to get at sabo

Yes, you can check Sabo at Ikorodu. Mile 12 Market @ Ketu should not be too far from you.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by sodeeqsulaimon88(m): 6:19pm On Jul 13, 2020
Redman44:

Yes, you can check Sabo at Ikorodu. Mile 12 Market @ Ketu should not be too far from you.
I guess Agege will be surest ticket.....Sir will i get a mature noiler there also
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by NativeChicken: 9:04pm On Jul 13, 2020
QTCL:
Are you using an incubator to hatch or local hens?
And when you said one can get 200 fertile eggs weekly from 50 hens,are you refering to local hens or noiler hens?

No, i dont have an incubator yet. I make use of local hens for now, as u can see in the pix.

I use a cross of Fulani Male x Noiler Females.
My Noilers give me an average of 5eggs per week. 200 is actually a conservative estimate.

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by QTCL(m): 4:17am On Jul 14, 2020
Wow thats nice,i guess u should have more than 50 laying hens....If one can get 800 fertile eggs per month and hatch them efficiently, then the productivity will start making sense and one can then produce commercially.In dealing with such amount of birds one will need a good pen setup as well..Nice work...From my own experience the noilers are not good at brooding,they do dissappoint alot half way through,so i prefer to use the local hens for hatching,they are more reliable.I hope to scale up to produce about 1000 chicks monthly then it will all make sense...�

[quote author=NativeChicken post=91683983][/quote]
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by QTCL(m): 4:36am On Jul 14, 2020
Do you synchronize the brooding or doing it randomly depending on availability of a broody hen.Can one force the local hens to get broody?

[quote author=NativeChicken post=91683983][/quote]
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by timmond: 8:21am On Jul 14, 2020
Farouq94:
This is what a Brahma chicken looks like:
Photo credit: Google (purely poultry website).
. Please how do I get this breed and how much, I'm in ikorodu Lagos 08065762679
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by NativeChicken: 11:52am On Jul 14, 2020
QTCL:
Do you synchronize the brooding or doing it randomly depending on availability of a broody hen.Can one force the local hens to get broody?

For now i have about 20 Noilers and 21 local hens. Am looking to scale up asap.
I do synchronize my broody hens but its still subject to availability of broody hen. Right now i have 7 sitting on eggs.
I dint think we can force them to go broody, but i suspect they have this jealous streak dt also extends to the Noilers, its like they go broody when they see others going broody��
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 7:13pm On Jul 14, 2020
sodeeqsulaimon88:
What are the measures to be taken when swapping the eggs so as not to make it unhatchable.

which crossing will you Advice
meat wisely and Egg laying

Most importantly you have to keep them in a cool airy place. A consistent temperature of more than 35C will make the embryo to start growing, and you don’t want that. Turn them at least twice a day, opposite direction. If you leave in a hot environment, get sharp sand, put it in an open container and keep your eggs there. Store for up to 7 days, and not more than 10 days. The longer the eggs, the more their hatchability rate reduces. So keep them for as little time as possible.

A fulani x noiler cross will give you very good results.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 7:22pm On Jul 14, 2020
GafarOlatunji:
Good day everyone....This is a very nice and educative thread I ever come across on nairaland, I appreciate you our boss in the house for your continues efforts for answering questions, and for your research making, you people are doing so well.

Pls, How can I raise my broiler breeder , is there a particular broiler that turn out to breeder at maturity , or I can get any broiler of my choice and raise for 5-6 months?

Broiler breeding is technical. Yes there is a particular breeding stock that is the Parent Line, their offspring is what is being sold.

If you keep your broilers to the point of lay, their eggs will hatch if fertilised, but don’t expect the same result with a DOC broiler from a pure line.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 7:29pm On Jul 14, 2020
NativeChicken:

Yes o.. I have 20 chicks for now , with another 70eggs being incubated. Will post a pix.
I actually think it will be a viable project if one can commercialize this poultry system, especially if we can minimize feed cost.
With 10 Cocks and 50 Hens, one can get at least 200 fertile eggs weekly. That is at least 800 fertile eggs monthly!!

True, but keep in mind that not all 50 will lay at the same time, and some local chickens take long breaks as well.

Also one thing I have realized is even if you take away all their eggs, some chickens will still go broody in an empty nest, so special attention has to be given to those to break their broodiness. If not, they will go on brooding in an empty nests, thus reducing your productivity.

In all like you said, minimizing feed costs whilst maintaining the highest productivity will surely be a win.

Cross-breeding with noilers also increase their egg laying ability.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 7:31pm On Jul 14, 2020
NativeChicken:

For now i have about 20 Noilers and 21 local hens. Am looking to scale up asap.
I do synchronize my broody hens but its still subject to availability of broody hen. Right now i have 7 sitting on eggs.
I dint think we can force them to go broody, but i suspect they have this jealous streak dt also extends to the Noilers, its like they go broody when they see others going broody��

Do you keep records of the eggs you get from those 21 local hens weekly vs your noilers?
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by NativeChicken: 7:59pm On Jul 14, 2020
Farouq94:

Do you keep records of the eggs you get from those 21 local hens weekly vs your noilers?

Not really coz its a no contest. I get an average of 4-5 eggs from d noilers weekly ie like 80 - 100 eggs. But, i have never got 1 crate from d local hens in a week.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Olayinka777(m): 8:25pm On Jul 14, 2020
Beautiful thread! I keep some backyard Fulani hens & cockerel too I just added a noiler rooster to the stock.

The Cockerel(father) & its offspring.

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 11:49pm On Jul 14, 2020
NativeChicken:

Not really coz its a no contest. I get an average of 4-5 eggs from d noilers weekly ie like 80 - 100 eggs. But, i have never got 1 crate from d local hens in a week.

My point exactly. I have been trying to gauge their productivity, and so far I think its usually around 30-40%. Still collecting weekly egg numbers from my farm to come up with a standard rate through out the year. That will help to give accurate projections for a commercial project. Age of the chickens is also a major factor, and of course the breed. Your noiler cross will most likely lay more.

So like you that has a flock of 21 local chickens, their weekly laying rate might be between 30-40%, so around 25-34 eggs, give or take.
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 11:53pm On Jul 14, 2020
Olayinka777:
Beautiful thread! I keep some backyard Fulani hens & cockerel too I just added a noiler rooster to the stock.

The Cockerel(father) & its offspring.

Those are beautiful crosses! I eventually want to cross mine too with a cockerel, but I’ll be going for the Plymouth Rock (black cockerel).

1 Like

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by NativeChicken: 11:59pm On Jul 14, 2020
Yea. i guess so. 30-40% max.
Its obvious that commercualization using d local breeds for incubation is only an interim option until one can afford an incubator.
The best option would be an off-grid incubator which will either be battery, solar or kero/diesel powered since we cannot trust our electricity supply.
I wonder where one can get such incubator and what d price will be?
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Olayinka777(m): 12:07am On Jul 15, 2020
Farouq94:

Those are beautiful crosses! I eventually want to cross mine too with a cockerel, but I’ll be going for the Plymouth Rock (black cockerel).
Thanks Boss!
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 12:12am On Jul 15, 2020
My first major hatch from the incubator happened between yesterday and this morning. Day 19/20 to be precise. Chicken eggs usually hatch on Day 20/21, but I was surprised to see a lot of my eggs hatching on Day 19.

Apparently this happens when the temperature of the incubator is predominantly higher than 37.5C, so it forces the embryo to grow quicker, which is can cause some deformities in the chicks, but all my chicks (more than 40 so far) appear to be well, with the exception of 1 that has one crooked leg which I suspect might be from the heat injury.

I’ve weighed them, 23g-33g, with average being 27.2g. The most reliable data I have come across regarding feed intake of local chicks gave an average of 13g of feed per chick at 1 week to 29g at 4 weeks. So I have made a 200g feed and will see how long it lasts. I’ll be feeding them ad libitum, using an estimated 18% CP feed.

Remember feeding them a high protein super starter with 21-22% CP is a waste of resources, as they don’t utilize the protein as efficient as broiler chicks. So I basically diluted it with wheat bran, and that gives it more volume and reduces the protein content.

I’ll see how far that goes. Some pics below (a couple of guinea fowls also hatched)

6 Likes

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 12:19am On Jul 15, 2020
NativeChicken:
Yea. i guess so. 30-40% max.
Its obvious that commercualization using d local breeds for incubation is only an interim option until one can afford an incubator.
The best option would be an off-grid incubator which will either be battery, solar or kero/diesel powered since we cannot trust our electricity supply.
I wonder where one can get such incubator and what d price will be?

There are quite good local incubators that you can get made. That is with the solar battery or with kero lamp. The person that made my incubator said a 50 amps battery with a 130w panel can power my incubator 24/7.m, and it has a 300 eggs capacity.

2 Likes

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by NativeChicken: 12:24am On Jul 15, 2020
Farouq94:

There are quite good local incubators that you can get made. That is with the solar battery or with kero lamp. The person that made my incubator said a 50 amps battery with a 130w panel can power my incubator 24/7.m, and it has a 300 eggs capacity.

Thats impressive. Is it automated? coz turning d eggs manually can b a drag. And whats d price range?

1 Like

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Farouq94(m): 12:24pm On Jul 15, 2020
NativeChicken:

Thats impressive. Is it automated? coz turning d eggs manually can b a drag. And whats d price range?

Nope. I turn all the eggs manually, three times a day, the automated ones he makes are pricier, so for a start i settled for the semi-automated one. I initially thought turning the eggs was a small job until now that I have over a hundred eggs inside, and I’m seeing the benefit of automation lol. My own was made for 75k.

With an additional 40k for battery set-up you can be independent of NEPA.

1 Like

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by sodeeqsulaimon88(m): 1:24pm On Jul 15, 2020
kindly share pictures of the fulani chicken and is it different from female native chicken.
After laying how do we make the egg Ok for consumption
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by sodeeqsulaimon88(m): 1:29pm On Jul 15, 2020
kindly share pictures of the fulani chicken and is it different from female native chicken
how do we identify it when we see it??
someone said we shouldn't buy chicken from the market is there any other place we can get this fulani chicken??
can we formulate feed for them if yes is it grower,starter or finisher??
maize offal is easy to get here wah can i mix with it to get that % of crude protein
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Frankyfaith: 3:33pm On Jul 15, 2020
Pls, do you have to cut the beaks (mouth) of noielers
when they start laying just as layers so they don't brake their eggs
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by QTCL(m): 6:05am On Jul 16, 2020
Can the battery set up supply constant power for months/A year without Nepa.
I am interested in this setup,can you send us pictures of your own setup?

Farouq94:

Nope. I turn all the eggs manually, three times a day, the automated ones he makes are pricier, so for a start i settled for the semi-automated one. I initially thought turning the eggs was a small job until now that I have over a hundred eggs inside, and I’m seeing the benefit of automation lol. My own was made for 75k.

Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by TAYO124: 6:49am On Jul 16, 2020
Is it possible to breed a local variety of Layers via cross breeding?
Re: My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? by Wiseking00(m): 10:36am On Jul 16, 2020
Farouq94:

Can you share the picture of battery set-up or explain how it looks like?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

How To Setup & Establish Your Own Cashew Farm(With Pictures) / Multi-million Dollar Coconut Plantation Destroyed In Akwa Ibom – Gov Emmanuel / Fish Farming And Pig Farming: Which Is More Profitable?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.