Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,977 members, 7,817,878 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:55 PM

The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" (2912 Views)

Osinbajo's Enemies Are Mainly From South West - UK Pastor Reveals God's Mind / Pastor E.A Adeboye Celebrates 77th Birthday With Powerful Word Of Prayers / Types Of Prayers Mentioned In The Bible. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jun 28, 2020
Image123:

God is not subject to logic and reasoning, He is in a higher realm. That being said, you are the one sounding incoherent here. What is the definition of Omniscient and omnipresent as presented in the Bible and how do you understand it?

See them! cheesy

Like I said earlier,one cannot expect common sense and logic from religious folks.

6 Likes

Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by atheistandproud(m): 10:34pm On Jun 28, 2020
Image123:

You asked so many questions all at once, hope you were not crying when asking. This is a symptom of problems in the brain. Try one step at a time so you don't fall off a 13storey.

And you could not provide a simple answer to any one.

Eyaaah.

I can multitask, can you?

6 Likes

Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Image123(m): 10:35pm On Jun 28, 2020
Elder0001:

See them! cheesy

Like I said earlier,one cannot expect common sense and logic from religious folks.

What have you made with your life since you started worshipping commonsense and logic? Are you now better off or about to end it already?
Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by atheistandproud(m): 10:36pm On Jun 28, 2020
Elder0001:

See them! cheesy

No simple answer at all.

Not even an attempt to answer any of questions.

5 Likes

Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Image123(m): 10:37pm On Jun 28, 2020
atheistandproud:

And you could not provide a simple answer to any one.

Eyaaah.

I can multitask, can you?

No you cannot multitask, i'm talking from experience with your superiors. Pick one question at a time, let me be entertained by you.
Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by atheistandproud(m): 10:38pm On Jun 28, 2020
Image123:

No you cannot multitask, i'm talking from experience with your superiors. Pick one question at a time, let me be entertained by you.

The questions are all there. Up there.

Answer them one by one as you comprehend and assimilate.

Superior kwanu? Whatever you're smoking sha...

4 Likes

Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Image123(m): 10:40pm On Jun 28, 2020
atheistandproud:

The questions are all there. Up there.

Answer them one by one as you comprehend and assimilate.

Pick your best one and stop glorifying your confusion.
Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by atheistandproud(m): 10:41pm On Jun 28, 2020
Image123:

Pick your best one and stop glorifying your confusion.

Eyaaah. If you have no answer. Keep mute like the rest.

Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Image123(m): 10:44pm On Jun 28, 2020
atheistandproud:

Eyaaah. If you have no answer. Keep mute like the rest.

Thank you.

Evidently you have no question and do not even want answers. No thanks.
Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by hakeem4(m): 10:51pm On Jun 28, 2020
Image123:

God is not subject to logic and reasoning, He is in a higher realm. That being said, you are the one sounding incoherent here. What is the definition of Omniscient and omnipresent as presented in the Bible and how do you understand it?
no special pleading here.

What do you mean by higher realm?

Omniscient knowing everything.
Omnipresent Everywhere at every time
Omnipotent having unlimited power.

Can god create a rock he cannot lift ?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Image123(m): 11:18pm On Jun 28, 2020
hakeem4:
no special pleading here.

What do you mean by higher realm?

Omniscient knowing everything.
Omnipresent Everywhere at every time
Omnipotent having unlimited power.

Can god create a rock he cannot lift ?

Realm refers to sphere, department, class, domain, region or spectrum. Many people feel the realm of logic is the greatest or highest. You for example, will expect everything to be reasonable and logical. Unfortunately, everything is not reasonable and logical. Everything is not scientific or calculation. The laboratory is very different from real life.

As much as you revere the laboratory and expect anything true or believable to be subject to it, things do not work that way. Love is what everyone seems to know or feel so let me use it as an example. Love is a reality, it is an emotion that everyone speaks well of. i guess you will agree that love is not in the class of reason or logic or commonsense? Yet many would rather choose love. It is in a similar vein that God is not in the class of logic or commonsense. Many atheists will say He needs to be in that class/realm for Him to exist. Do you say the same for love?

We will both agree that love MAY agree with logic, but it does not always agree. Actually, i would argue that it does not usually agree. The take away is this, there are realities that do not operate by and are not subject to the realm/class of logic. It does not make them lesser. If you understand this little take away, you may proceed to the second. It is that God is not in the class of logic. It doesn't mean He is unreasonable or illogical, like we will not say every love or anger or emotion is illogical and unreasonable. God is not a subject of logic or reasoning. He operates above it. This is beyond most of you's class, so i do not really expect you all to catch it. The ones who are smart enough to learn will learn. Some will be too proud and quickly unlearn it. They'd perhaps mutter a few curses like children of goliath.

Your definitions of the Omnis are your definition. So what is the Bible's definition? Or why do you tjink God is omni anything?

Oh, the rock question. Can man create something he cannot lift? Every day. Is there a law or book or course or agreement that says God should/must lift every rock He makes?
Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Xmuslim: 2:28am On Jun 29, 2020
Image123:

Realm refers to sphere, department, class, domain, region or spectrum. Many people feel the realm of logic is the greatest or highest. You for example, will expect everything to be reasonable and logical. Unfortunately, everything is not reasonable and logical. Everything is not scientific or calculation. The laboratory is very different from real life.

If your God is not expected to be understood because he's not operating in the logic and commonsense realm, how did you know the religion he wants you to practice. Obviously, there are many illogical claims in every religion. Why didn't you chose Islam? Why Christianity?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Nobody: 4:57am On Jun 29, 2020
You guys love to know some hidden things but you lack patience the only door to wisdom!
When you feel like knowing what makes others around you do certain things in a strange way, the first thing is to ask questions with sincerity and be patient with the one you're questioning, adults shouldn't be doing things like kids!
For instance the OP lied maliciously by fabricating the whole story of how one of Jehovah's Witnesses thought him that God is Omni this Omni that even adding a name to make his story sound real. But when i told him that's not what we teach he quickly close the case.
We are humans (mortals) and all our reasoning is wrapped within the scope of a short lifespan of less than 90 years, if we want to talk about spirits (immortals) we need to reason from a broadened point of view not that of the mortals.

Why does God permit suffering and crime?

As mortals our short lifespan will becloud our sense of judging so for us to get to the bottom of this thought provoking question we need to reason from the perspective of the immortals!
smiley
Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Nobody: 5:18am On Jun 29, 2020
Maximus69:
You guys love to know some hidden things but you lack patience the only door to wisdom!
When you feel like knowing what makes others around you do certain things in a strange way, the first thing is to ask questions with sincerity and be patient with the one you're questioning, adults shouldn't be doing things like kids!
For instance the OP lied maliciously by fabricating the whole story of how one of Jehovah's Witnesses thought him that God is Omni this Omni that even adding a name to make his story sound real. But when i told him that's not what we teach he quickly close the case.
We are humans (mortals) and all our reasoning is wrapped within the scope of a short lifespan of less than 90 years, if we want to talk about spirits (immortals) we need to reason from a broadened point of view not that of the mortals.

Why does God permit suffering and crime?

As mortals our short lifespan will becloud our sense of judging so for us to get to the bottom of this thought provoking question we need to reason from the perspective of the immortals!
smiley

Chai. Why is it so hard for religious folks to be sensible and logical?
You and your fellow Christian comrade keeps spewing trash.

4 Likes

Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Nobody: 5:41am On Jun 29, 2020
Usual perception of a mortal! cheesy
Plead:

Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Nobody: 5:42am On Jun 29, 2020
Maximus69:
Usual perception of a mortal! cheesy

Abeg wise up.
Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Nobody: 5:43am On Jun 29, 2020
I can see how wise you're Sir! cheesy
Plead:

Abeg wise up.
Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Nobody: 5:56am On Jun 29, 2020
Plead:

Why is it so hard for atheists to be sensible and logical?
You and your cohorts are asking questions from your fellow humans but never willing to listen patiently in order to make meaningful comments without insulting the person you're questioning!
Certainly atheists of your kind disguising as believers will surely forgo faith but you'll never succeed in getting people who will work together with you for betterment.
Because rebellion is easy to influence but submission is not, while rebellious folks will never unite to benefit themselves but each promotes his/her own selfish motives, submissive folks will work together and benefit themselves!
I think that is the purpose of life! smiley smiley smiley
Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Nobody: 6:02am On Jun 29, 2020
TATIME:

Why is it so hard for atheists to be sensible and logical?
You and your cohorts are asking questions from your fellow humans but never willing to listen patiently in order to make meaningful comments without insulting the person you're questioning!
Certainly atheists of your kind disguising as believers will surely forgo faith but you'll never succeed in getting people who will work together with you for betterment.
Because rebellion is easy to influence but submission is not, while rebellious folks will never unite to benefit themselves but each promotes his/her own selfish motives, submissive folks will work together and benefit themselves!
I think that is the purpose of life! smiley smiley smiley

It's just funny as they continue agitating behind the scene instead of organizing themselves as an active group and calmly speaking with their religious neighbours on what they feel is necessary.
They failed woefully to sense how purposeless their mission sounds in the ears of intellectuals! cheesy
Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Sheunma: 6:15am On Jun 29, 2020
Maximus69:

Sorry to cut you short there, that is a wrong perception.
God is not Omni this Omni that Sir.
I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses and that's not what we teach.
Thanks Sir! smiley
Maximus69!
Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Hoseaovo(m): 6:19am On Jun 29, 2020
atheistandproud:

Free will does not exist.

You're heading in a whole new direction now. This post is about prayer. Not freewill. If freewill existed then god's plans will no longer be supreme and so therefore he's no longer omnipotent as the will of a human being supersedes his.

It's either you have freewill and YHWH is no longer omnipotent or your god is omnipotent and you're bound to his rules.

Choose one

Well again, it seems you know it all. Know this, we christians are fools for our Lord Jesus. You may be wise and tell us how this universe was made, how life was formed in you and tell us the end and the beginning of the vast the universe and beyond.

God is bigger than your small tiny, minutest brain can ever fathom in a billion years. I employ you to surrender you pride and humble yourself before the God of all flesh because one thing is for sure: Someday you shall die like everyone of us and then you shall stand before this same God you so dispise and ridicule and I imagine what shall be your fate then. Bros, this God Love you o. No go die in sin o
Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Dtruthspeaker: 7:03am On Jun 29, 2020
atheistandproud:

You have made zero sense. Please go back and relearn English comprehension sir. You need it

grin you did not get it grin

How can 1 query, have 12 Other Queries, Placed Within it?

And not that the 12 Queries are Connected to Each Other oh, Neither do they have Nexus to the Posted Query.

And in your mind you are Rational!

Head to Exam Room 1, Your Doctor is Waiting to Receive You There grin!
Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Dtruthspeaker: 7:14am On Jun 29, 2020
Elder0001:

They’ll say that’s how god wanted it to happen. grin
I always ask them “where was your God when uyai was being raped and eventually killed inside a church?” And they’ll come up with rubbish answers.
A god that can’t protect his followers isn’t he useless? cheesy
Religious folks are very very deluded I swear.

And we told you that since you Rejected God, He has Rejected you too!

And now you All Must Eat the Fruits of Your own Farm, since you planted without listening to Him, You Must Reap, Without Him listening to you!
Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Dtruthspeaker: 7:17am On Jun 29, 2020
Hakeem12:
When I see the world right now and the ills happening in it, I think it's safe to say we are alone and on our own.

The holocaust itself is a glaring indication that nobody is looking out for anyone. If God is omniscient, clearly he knows the hocaust would happen before it did, he allowed it to happen, that's one. Now while it was happening, he watched thousands of his people massacred, he was there, since he is omnipresent, still he did nothing.

That same dude made man imperfect according to the holy books, and would still purnish man for their imperfections. Simple logic shows this makes zero sense. Our resident folks would tell us not to apply logic when it comes to things of the spirit, rather take it on by blind faith, by belief, total nonsense. Why would a being create people perfectly capable of seeing through his incompetence?

The recent pandemic that's happening, someone said God's showing how powerful he is. I have never seen him do something beneficient to show his power, only death and destruction. I guess it's safe to say Hitler is his equal.

If you think the current crises Yemen is undergoing is in any way humane, and why has turned a blind eye to it is okay, it defeats the whole purpose of having a Skye daddy watch over us. The narcissism exhibited by religious people irks me. They survive accidents and go to their places of worship to give testimonials, very selfish and stupid acts.

You can't negotiate with a psychopath

Of course You are Alone, You Are Harvesting and Eating What you planted!
Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Dtruthspeaker: 7:24am On Jun 29, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:
NOTHING DESCRIBES DOUBTS ABOUT GOD'S PERFECT PLAN LIKE PRAYERS.

Who needs prayers, wishes and desires to be granted, is it not man?

Does God need to pray to Himself?

Who Can Do, and Undo, InDo and OutDo, is it Not the Lord?

If you no want any good thing or you choose to wait for the good things to come meet you, Na Your Own Be Dat!
Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Dtruthspeaker: 7:28am On Jun 29, 2020
Elder0001:
Assuming prayers truly work 90% of Nigerians would be billionaires in dollars and Nigeria would be better than China but unfortunately,prayers don’t work. What works is hard work and consistency.

If wishes were cars, you would be living in Banana Island. But they are not.

It is not Meant to be That Way, It is Never Ever Going To Be That Way!

And that is not how the children of God Pray!
Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by hakeem4(m): 7:30am On Jun 29, 2020
Image123:

As much as you revere the laboratory and expect anything true or believable to be subject to it, things do not work that way. Love is what everyone seems to know or feel so let me use it as an example. Love is a reality, it is an emotion that everyone speaks well of. i guess you will agree that love is not in the class of reason or logic or commonsense? Yet many would rather choose love. It is in a similar vein that God is not in the class of logic or commonsense. Many atheists will say He needs to be in that class/realm for Him to exist. Do you say the same for love?

We will both agree that love MAY agree with logic, but it does not always agree. Actually, i would argue that it does not usually agree. The take away is this, there are realities that do not operate by and are not subject to the realm/class of logic. It does not make them lesser. If you understand this little take away, you may proceed to the second. It is that God is not in the class of logic. It doesn't mean He is unreasonable or illogical, like we will not say every love or anger or emotion is illogical and unreasonable. God is not a subject of logic or reasoning. He operates above it. This is beyond most of you's class, so i do not really expect you all to catch it. The ones who are smart enough to learn will learn. Some will be too proud and quickly unlearn it. They'd perhaps mutter a few curses like children of goliath.

Your definitions of the Omnis are your definition. So what is the Bible's definition? Or why do you tjink God is omni anything?

Oh, the rock question. Can man create something he cannot lift? Every day. Is there a law or book or course or agreement that says God should/must lift every rock He makes?

Love is easily explained as an emotion supporting simple biological processes. Modern science has isolated the chemicals involved in the feelings and the programming that causes the release of these chemicals is inbuilt and a result of evolution. The word is often used for other purposes which have their own explanations. There is no external force called ‘love’ it is merely an umbrella term for some human emotions. It in no way supports the idea of God.

I don’t know what the bible describes god as but I know it made so many large claims like

1) he created human
2) he created the universe.

But our current understanding doesn’t support the idea of a creator

3 Likes

Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Dtruthspeaker: 7:31am On Jun 29, 2020
Elder0001:

You need to be taken to a psychiatrist hospital ASAP.

grin grin it was a proverb to you, was it not? I have uncovered it anyway!
Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by hakeem4(m): 7:32am On Jun 29, 2020
Xmuslim:

If your God is not expected to be understood because he's not operating in the logic and commonsense realm, how did you know the religion he wants you to practice. Obviously, there are many illogical claims in every religion. Why didn't you chose Islam? Why Christianity?

This is what I’ve been willing to ask

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Dtruthspeaker: 7:36am On Jun 29, 2020
hakeem4:
Well, god cannot be omniscient and omnipresent at the same time. it is logically incoherent. it is like calling someone a married bachelor.

the sooner we tell ourselves the truth that prayers solve nothing the better for us

You Do Not know Your Creator! He who man and woman, left hand and right hand, up and down, solid, liquid, gases, visible and invisible!

You do not know Him, so it would be better and much preferable that you do not speak of what you do not know, lest Shame Come Upon thee!
Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Dtruthspeaker: 7:39am On Jun 29, 2020
Elder0001:

As expected,no answer. grin

He can not answer but I have answered already. Check my reply to you.
Re: The Futility Of Prayers And Trying To "Change God's Mind" by Dtruthspeaker: 7:42am On Jun 29, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

DELUSIONAL PEOPLE THINK THEY ALREADY HAVE ALL THE TRUTH ON EARTH IN THE BIBLE (AND KORAN) AND IN THIER PREACHER'S WORDS.
TO THESE PEOPLE, NOTHING ELSE MATTERS EXCEPT WHAT THEY'VE BEEN INDOCTRINATED WITH.

The Truth Standeth as A Rock Forever and No One, not even you Can Change it!

You are Welcome to Try!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Trousers Makes Women Naked! Why? / How Long Was The First Day Of Creation / Tb Joshua Sends Wise Man Harry To The Usa For A Revival Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.