Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,897 members, 7,814,033 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:27 AM

Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK (54461 Views)

Immigration Stops 20 Intending Passengers From Leaving Nigeria At Lagos Airport / Joe Igbokwe: "Air Peace Blocked Me From Travelling, Shocked Me" / DON'T LISTEN TO Anyone Who Discourages You From Travelling Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by 9gerian: 11:33pm On Jul 10, 2020
If I hear pim... angry

Some of the volunteer doctors have just been relieved from their covid 19 assignment unceremoniously, and without pay for their sacrifice.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/401522-covid-19-anger-as-lagos-govt-disengages-frontline-health-workers.html

PoliteActivist:
Shameless. Deserting us at this coro time we need them most
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by Correcto: 11:34pm On Jul 10, 2020
Please post exactly what you saw online/website so I can educate you more.
Idyllic:

Stop saying what you don't know. During this COVID pandemic, UK has started visa waivers for doctors who want to travel to UK to resume work. Go to UKVI website and stop displaying your ignorance with boldness on a public forum

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by Nobody: 11:35pm On Jul 10, 2020
AnanseK:

Of course they can travel. But for God sake let them have valid travel documents. What’s wrong with you?
you're the one something is wrong with because of your shallow reasoning. . The arrangement under which they wanted to travel was legit. There was an international flight arrangement for them. They had travel documents covering their trip. Do you think a dullard can qualify as a medical doctor? They must have fulfilled all the necessary travel requirements before proceeding to the airport. In this covid-19 era, which embassy would be open to give you visa? The NIS never said they were traveling illegally. They said they might be repatriated on arrival in the UK, which isn't true. The fact remains they never wanted them to leave Nigeria, simple. That would have been a slap in the face of our government and the news would have been a subject of global discussion. Covid-19 related benefits and loans would be cancelled for Nigeria because this it the time the government ought to have recruited more health workers, now that the case is rising and not losing them. I know of 2 Nigerians who travelled recently without valid visa. The ravel documents they possessed were genuine and sent from the home office. One a medical doctor and the other a staff of WHO. They weren't sent back at the port of entry.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by justwise(m): 11:36pm On Jul 10, 2020
hopesony:
Please, note that these 58 doctors were granted waivers by the UK government hence they sent the flight to come pick them. Initially had their visas and were billed to have travelled before international flight restrictions were imposed. This is a special waiver granted to these essential health workers because their services is highly needed by the NHS-UK. They already have jobx waiting for them.

Is like all of you spreading this lies are getting it from the same source.

Post any U.K government link to back up your false information .

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by DiagnoPolitics: 11:36pm On Jul 10, 2020
abnot:

They all had letters from the UK Home Office and the UK also sent a jet to convey them. It's part of the Covid strategy as countries (uk, usa etc )are looking for doctors. The UK high commission visa section is currently closed thus the government made this arrangement though Nigerian government countered it. A set of over 100 doctors left for USA about two weeks ago .Air peace conveyed them to Lome, Togo (Ethiopian airline's mini west african hub). From Lome they all boarded an Ethiopian airlines flight to USA. Nigerian government had to pull this move else there will be no more doctors left here lol .

bloody lies!
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by hopesony: 11:37pm On Jul 10, 2020
Please note this. These 58 doctors do not intend to travel illegally, they already had visa waiver by the UK govt and were billed to resume their jobs in various hospitals under NHS-UK. These doctors already had visas prior to the international flight restrictions as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic.

1 Like

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by Golan007: 11:38pm On Jul 10, 2020
[s]
fairfora:
you're the one something is wrong with because of your shallow reasoning. . The arrangement under which they wanted to travel was legit. There was an international flight arrangement for them. They had travel documents covering their trip. Do you think a dullard can qualify as a medical doctor? They must have fulfilled all the necessary travel requirements before proceeding to the airport. In this covid-19 era, which embassy would be open to give you visa? The NIS never said they were traveling illegally. They said they might be repatriated on arrival in the UK, which isn't true. The fact remains they never wanted them to leave Nigeria, simple. That would have been a slap in the face of our government and the news would have been a subject of global discussion. Covid-19 related benefits and loans would be cancelled for Nigeria because this it the time the government ought to have recruited more health workers, now that the case is rising and not losing them. I know of 2 Nigerians who travelled recently without valid visa. The ravel documents they possessed were genuine and sent from the home office. One a medical doctor and the other a staff of WHO. They weren't sent back at the port of entry.
[/s]

LIES.

1 Like

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by Golan007: 11:38pm On Jul 10, 2020
[s]
hopesony:
Please note this. These 58 doctors do not intend to travel illegally, they already had visa waiver by the UK govt and were billed to resume their jobs in various hospitals under NHS-UK. These doctors already had visas prior to the international flight restrictions as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic.
[/s]

Story.
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by Nobody: 11:39pm On Jul 10, 2020
Golan007:
[s][/s]

They had no visa.

The immigration were doing their job.

I wonder, how can they just load themselves up in an aircraft and wants to just land in the UK without visa? they should also load up 60 bricklayers and 30 mechanics.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by mimilyrics: 11:39pm On Jul 10, 2020
Sigh! So much misinformation in one post. There are no special visa waivers for doctors or essential workers outside the UK. The only time that you can resume a new job with an expired visa is if you were already in the UK before your previous visa expired and you must have submitted an application 28 days leading up to your visa expiration. Everyone who had valid leave at the onset of Covid-19 and who couldn't get quick decisions on their new applications can still resume new jobs while waiting for their new visas.
hopesony:
Please, note that these 58 doctors were granted waivers by the UK government hence they sent the flight to come pick them. Initially had their visas and were billed to have travelled before international flight restrictions were imposed. This is a special waiver granted to these essential health workers because their services is highly needed by the NHS-UK. They already have jobx waiting for them.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by Correcto: 11:40pm On Jul 10, 2020
With some comments here, I believe some doctors can attempt it.
seborrhic:
I don't believe this.
How can any educated person travel out of the country to the West without a visa?
Unless the immigration is claiming they don't have work invitation to the UK,but claiming the Drs are travelling without a visa is bu llshit.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by Yankee101: 11:41pm On Jul 10, 2020
Well NIS did their job

No visa no boarding

We have no arrangement for visas on arrival and if the UK wanted them quietly then they should do the needful, open their embaasies and issue them visas

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by Nobody: 11:41pm On Jul 10, 2020
How can they just load themselves up in an aircraft and expecting to just land in the UK without visa? they should have also loaded 60 carpenters, 30 bricklayers and 45 mechanis. grin

1 Like

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by blank(f): 11:41pm On Jul 10, 2020
Golan007:
[s][/s]

They had no visa.

They had waiver letters to get visa on arrival when they arrived in UK. Visa offices are not open.
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by Yankee101: 11:43pm On Jul 10, 2020
Tell them

Most nigerian students don't realize government universities are cheap because they're tuition free

Cajal:
.hmmm..after their MBBS training largely sponsored by FG of the shiit hole
God dey

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by Nobody: 11:45pm On Jul 10, 2020
Golan007:
[s][/s]

They had no visa.

which embassy is open for visa business this pandemic? They had docimemts in lieu of visa. The fed govt just wanted to avoid global embarassment ni. For them to have had a fight already arranged for them all the way from the UK, it shows the travel was legit , so was the arrangement. This is what happens when you don't value what you have. There are countries who are willing to spoil doctors with money just to take care of their people. Here in Nigeria, the reverse is the case. 4 days ago lagos state govt sacked some health workers from various isllation centres at a time when they should have employed more.

2 Likes

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by abnot: 11:46pm On Jul 10, 2020
mimilyrics:
The only letter the UK will give you as a holder of an immigrant entry visa or (leave to enter) will be your BRP letter and this letter cannot be used as proof of entry authorization without the visa vignette in your passport.

Even a 15 year old Nigerian knows about needing a visa/pre-authorization to travel to EU member states. What will make 58 Nigerian doctors attempt to travel to UK without any visa/authorization ? What will make 60 Nigerian doctors arrange a chartered jet ? The UK government was directly or indirectly involved in this arrangement. Forget about the norm these are not normal times. The chartered aircraft got a landing permit to arrive in Lagos. How did they get this permit without the Nigerian government. Not everything we read on the papers are true. We have heard the NIS version of the story. Hopefully one or two of the physicians denied boarding will also say their side of the story.

2 Likes

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by ABJ4Real(m): 11:46pm On Jul 10, 2020
They should work within the system to change whatever odds. After all, Nigeria that they have forsaken contributed to their development. Everything should not be about money.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by Mayflowa(m): 11:47pm On Jul 10, 2020
murphyibiam15:

If you need them most then your government should pay them.. Nothing is free afterall your SINators and useless politicians are earning bogus amount for doing nothing.. Nigerians hate themselves eh

I partially understand your point but I wish you were not so hardened in your thoughts. Nigeria do not have a visa on arrival agreement with UK government. If there was diplomatic communication between the two countries, that can be understandable or at the worst, they have a note verbale. Anyway, Nigerian doctors are almost trained free in Nigeria. In US, you can spend $400,000 to $1,000,000 to train as a doctor. That should also be considered when you talk of salary difference. Doctors are the most elevated public officials in Nigeria. When graduate starts the civil service at grade level 7, Doctors starts as a principal officer level of Grade level 12. It will take you 16 to 20 years to get to that level when you are a graduate of other disciplines. I am trying to remove emotions from my thoughts. I am not jealous. All my siblings and their wives are doctors.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by laiperi: 11:49pm On Jul 10, 2020
We blame uneducated youths transferred across the desert and sea by unscrupulous agents.

Now these are educated doctors who claimed they were promised work visas on arrival!

The plane carrier can be fined, their country of departure sanctioned and put both foreign mission in disarray.

These educated illiterates cannot pinpoint where they got their authorization to satisfy Nigerian authority or show one site on internet!

God saved them, they could have found themselves in an Arab or Jewish country as organ donor or rituals.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by justwise(m): 11:51pm On Jul 10, 2020
blank:

They had waiver letters to get visa on arrival when they arrived in UK. Visa offices are not open.

So why were they not allowed to travel then since such arrangement were made? NIS not aware of that?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by Golan007: 11:52pm On Jul 10, 2020
[s]
fairfora:
which embassy is open for visa business this pandemic? They had docimemts in lieu of visa. The fed govt just wanted to avoid global embarassment ni. For them to have had a fight already arranged for them all the way from the UK, it shows the travel was legit , so was the arrangement. This is what happens when you don't value what you have. There are countries who are willing to spoil doctors with money just to take care of their people. Here in Nigeria, the reverse is the case. 4 days ago lagos state govt sacked some health workers from various isllation centres at a time when they should have employed more.
[/s]

Lies.

If the UK government can provide aircrafts they can provide Visas.

Enough with the need to bash your country even when there is no basis for it.

They had no visas to fly and the immigration service did its job.

1 Like

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by abnot: 11:53pm On Jul 10, 2020
Xda59:

Over 100 doctors left for the usa? For what? This is worse than fake news.
I will refer you to this https://www.premiumtimesng.com/coronavirus/384271-updated-u-s-clarifies-visa-advice-to-foreign-medical-doctors.html

They were flown to Lome on a chartered airpeace flight with number 5N-BVE. Some things sound very strange to be true but USA and UK medical facilities are currently overstretched with thousands of Covid 19 infections. Forget about the norm when desperate times come responsible governments adjust to face the challenge.

3 Likes

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by abnot: 11:56pm On Jul 10, 2020
Golan007:
[s][/s]

Lies.

If the UK government can provide aircrafts they can provide Visas.

Enough with the need to bash your country even when there is no basis for it.

They had no visas to fly and the immigration service did its job.

Dont believe what the immigration spokesman is saying. I'm sure with time one of the affected passengers will state their own side of the story. Are you trying to say 58 medical practitioners chartered a flight and went to the airport without a valid entry permit ? If one doctor is dumb the 57 others cannot be
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by ihesiuloa(m): 11:56pm On Jul 10, 2020
Idyllic:

See, I don't have time to argue with you. Of course, I know that visa on arrival is different from visa waiver and I didn't say UK has started visa waiver for Nigerians. I said for doctors. During this COVID period, if you are a doctor from anywhere in the world and you have a job offer in the UK. You can travel to the UK without visa. They started it during this COVID period because UK visa office in Nigeria and many other places are closed because of the pandemic. That's why they put that in place so that doctors who want to travel to UK to resume job can do that. Hopefully, when UK get across to NIS on this issue, it will make headline. Au revoir
Perfectly analyzed! I think I go with this simple explanation to the whole visa or no visa saga, I guess there is a difference between stereotypes and real updates in current news and happenings, in record papers UK government may have started the visa policies as required from resident applications, but then current news and informations also again coming from the UK government can always supersede whatever maybe the usual policies at hand.
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by mimilyrics: 11:56pm On Jul 10, 2020
A 15-year-old should also know that the UK does not grant and has not granted visa waivers to any nationality outside of those whose countries which have pre-existing visa waiver agreements with the UK. Whether the Nigerian government is directly involved or not in this particular situation, it doesn't change the current UK visa policies. I spoke not about why this particular situation happened but seek to correct the comments saying the UK granted visa waivers or letters to people with expired visa vignettes; even British citizens stuck abroad without passports have to wait for the VACs to open to apply for new passports except in dire emergencies.

abnot:

Even a 15 year old Nigerian knows about needing a visa/pre-authorization to travel to EU member states. What will make 58 Nigerian doctors attempt to travel to UK without any visa/authorization ? What will make 60 Nigerian doctors arrange a chartered jet ? The UK government was directly or indirectly involved in this arrangement. Forget about the norm these are not normal times. The chartered aircraft got a landing permit to arrive in Lagos. How did they get this permit without the Nigerian government. Not everything we read on the papers are true. We have heard the NIS version of the story. Hopefully one or two of the physicians denied boarding will also say their side of the story.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by Mayflowa(m): 11:59pm On Jul 10, 2020
DrFunmisticGlow:
they pay their school fees, FG don't sponsor shit.

Government don't collect tuition from federal universities in Nigeria. It is the various institutions that charge service fees. The government pays all university lecturers and provision of equipment without recourse to any of the paid fees. A private school or foreign institutions must break even and make profit to survive. The students provide all these monies.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by fsb(m): 12:00am On Jul 11, 2020
Nairaland! I wonder why people are drinking panadol for other people’s headache.

If you believe they had special waivers organised by their employers such that their vignettes would be stamped in their passports on arrival on a chartered aircraft, unfortunately there were communication challenges between concerned parties all well and good.

If you believe the doctors woke up confused, entered bus to airport to look for next available plane to leave the country, and were sent back home by immigration all well and good.

There’s no point asking for proof as you don’t have to believe.

1 Like

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by Golan007: 12:05am On Jul 11, 2020
abnot:

Dont believe what the immigration spokesman is saying. I'm sure with time one of the affected passengers will state their own side of the story. Are you trying to say 58 medical practitioners chartered a flight and went to the airport without a valid entry permit ? If one doctor is dumb the 57 others cannot be

Professors invested in MMM.

Tell me another story.

2 Likes

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by golddare: 12:05am On Jul 11, 2020
Correcto:
Just get a good visa and leave. UK don't offer visa on arrival. It is an insult to let them go without Visa. It show our aviation professionals are clowns.

You think they dont know.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by abnot: 12:06am On Jul 11, 2020
laiperi:
We blame uneducated youths transferred across the desert and sea by unscrupulous agents.

Now these are educated doctors who claimed they were promised work visas on arrival!

The plane carrier can be fined, their country of departure sanctioned and put both foreign mission in disarray.

These educated illiterates cannot pinpoint where they got their authorization to satisfy Nigerian authority or show one site on internet!

God saved them, they could have found themselves in an Arab or Jewish country as organ donor or rituals.

I don't want to believe the story from the NIS . About 12 years ago I approached the NIS desk at the airport in Abuja to board a Klm flight to Amsterdam en route Birmingham. I had a valid US F1 visa and UK C-visit visa. The NIS official asked where I was going to and I told him I was going to Birmingham for four days after which I'd head out to Baltimore to continue my studies. He requested for the invitation letter from the person I was going to visit in UK and cash evidence. I had $1,080 cash, bank card with me but he insisted that it was too little and called his colleague to attend to me. His colleague asked me to give them 5,000 Naira which I refused to. Another passenger spoke to them and gave them a tip before they released my passport.
The story from the Nigerian Immigration Service does not represent the full picture of what transpired.

4 Likes

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by thiagoteres(m): 12:09am On Jul 11, 2020
mimilyrics:
I will indulge you because I would like you to show where it was stated that the automatic visa and IHS extensions for NHS and healthcare workers extended to doctors without valid leave in the UK. Whatever concessions made for NHS and healthcare workers are just for them. Read the link below for information on foreign NHS staff and healthcare workers in the UK, British citizens needing passports, expired visa vignettes and more guidance regarding visa applications. Note that the guidance is divided into 2 sections (those in the UK and those outside the UK)
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-for-uk-visa-applicants-and-temporary-uk-residents#outside-uk

I could not find anywhere in your link where it says health surcharge has been scrapped for NHS workers which is the current reality.
I have attached a screenshot of email they received. The requirements for the waiver is u have an expired vignette, VACs is still closed in your country and u have secured a flight to the UK to resume work in the NHS.
Loads of people travelled to the UK from different countries including Nigeria that were not entitled to visa
waiver pre-covid without noise .
Thanks for indulging me by the way.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Nairalander's Trip To Kenya / 7 Places You Must Visit As An Adult In Your Lifetime! / Japa: Don't Insult Nigeria If You Fall Under These Kind Of People (opinion)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.