Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,027 members, 7,814,509 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:07 PM

Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK (54481 Views)

Immigration Stops 20 Intending Passengers From Leaving Nigeria At Lagos Airport / Joe Igbokwe: "Air Peace Blocked Me From Travelling, Shocked Me" / DON'T LISTEN TO Anyone Who Discourages You From Travelling Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by TruthSpeaker: 12:09am On Jul 11, 2020
murphyibiam15:
Enemies of progress.. See the kind of flimsy excuse they're giving.. They should simply say they're jealous the Drs are moving away from this shithole called Nigeria to where things work
They can't continue to hold them back for long, that I'm sure
The country the docs are travelling to already made arrangement for them and is it that they don't know what is called visa on arrival? That is uk's headache not Nigeria undecided

IT SEEMS AS IF YOU HAVE NEVER TRAVELLED OUT OF NIGERIA SINCE YOU WERE BORN. THE AIRLINE IS NOT EVEN SUPPOSE TO LET THEM TRAVEL FOR NOT HAVING A VALID UK VISA STAMPED ON THEIR NIGERIA PASSPORT. IF THEY HAD MADE IT TO THE UK, THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN DEPORTED ON ARRIVAL AND THE AIRLINE HEAVILY FINED. THE ONLY WAY THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED IS IF THE UK IMMIGRATION ALREADY HAD A WAVIER FOR THEM IN PLACE DUE TO NEED OF DOCTORS AS A RESULT OF COVID-19.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by saxywale1: 12:14am On Jul 11, 2020
RTSC:
The Nigerian govt should send a strongly worded message to the UK and the US consulates.

Poaching our doctors would not be tolerated.

The lives of your citizens are not more important than Nigerian lives.
I am not sure about the UK, but I highly doubt if the US are poaching Nigerian doctors. Unlike the UK, it's very hard for a foreign trained doctor trained outside the US, Canada or some Carribean medical schools to practice in the US.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by ihesiuloa(m): 12:16am On Jul 11, 2020
Golan007:
[s][/s]

Story.

No visas hence no travel.

These governments aren't gangsters

Everything is systematic and documented.

Should they need them desperately, they would provide adequate paperwork.
Oh Will you please be quiet and listen to intelligent folks talking? Isn't that explanation self assimilated? You are yapping 'STORY' and yet you are not making any sensible comment? What is 'gangstars' in this talk? And whoever tutured you on what is to be 'systematic and documented'? Or you just want to show your folly is a well represented forum as this?

1 Like

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by mimilyrics: 12:17am On Jul 11, 2020
If you take your time to read through, all the information you require is accessible via the link. See attached screenshots for your information.
thiagoteres:

I could not find anywhere in your link where it says health surcharge has been scrapped for NHS workers which is the current reality.
I have attached a screenshot of email they received. The requirements for the waiver is u have an expired vignette, VACs is still closed in your country and u have secured a flight to the UK to resume work in the NHS.
Loads of people travelled to the UK from different countries including Nigeria that were not entitled to visa
waiver pre-covid without noise .
Thanks for indulging me by the way.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by saxywale1: 12:17am On Jul 11, 2020
BigBashiru:

Then create an environment in Nigeria and a pay package for them similar to what they obtain in those countries
Don't kid yourself, Nigeria as a country can't afford what is paid to teachers, policemen, doctors, nurses, engineers, mechanics etc. outside the country.
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by saxywale1: 12:20am On Jul 11, 2020
Xda59:

Over 100 doctors left for the usa? For what? This is worse than fake news.
E pass fake news. Maybe they are going to the US to work as nursing assistants in care homes. You never know.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by jedisco(m): 12:21am On Jul 11, 2020
justwise:

Forget about NHS surcharge waiver and visa extension for NHS workers, we know about that and it was published on their website but this lies about visa waiver or visa on arrival takes the lies to another level

After reading the story, I believe much has not been said about this. For now details are hazy but certain things stand out

1. It was a chartered flight even with international flights on hold. No one would charter an international flight without putting certain things in place

2. Those doctors would have been fully aware that an attempt to get into the UK without valid documents would lead to them being deported and definitely be the end of any aspirations of working in the UK. Definitely not a risk worth taking

3. Say they all didn't have Visa's. Would going together on a single flight not be the worst way to go about it?

4. Of recent, there has been an uptick in the number of Nigerian and Indian doctors and nurses moving to the UK moreso because of Brexit preps. With the lockdown in both countries due to Covid and also cancellation of foriegn licencing exams till the end of the year, there is a need to get doctors already licenced in
Not too long ago (before COVID) the NHS got very bad publicity for actively poaching nurses from poorer Asian countries. Also during Covid, there was the talk of temporarily licencing those not yet due for it. That is the extent of current shortage in the workforce. It makes sense for the UK to try and get those outside who already have a license and of course, they'd try and do it without involving the media because of a possible backlash.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by saxywale1: 12:21am On Jul 11, 2020
Aussie2doc:
Ask yourself this simple question. Who authorised the special flight during this lockdown? You think 58 doctors are so stupid they don't know they need visa to enter UK? How did the 58 doctors know that there is a flight waiting for them at the airport when the border is closed? Always think. Some sets have gone earlier and they were all granted visa on arrival. They all have visa waiver for the journey and the flight was booked by UK govt. They were just scared all the doctors are running away.
I doubt it was booked by the UK government. Probably booked by a recruitment agency working for some NHS trusts.

4 Likes

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by jedisco(m): 12:21am On Jul 11, 2020
Golan007:

Stop beating around the bush.

Simply point to any document that states certain essential professionals, mostly in the medical field, are being granted fast-tracked arrival settlement documents or even visas on arrival.

All this peregrination would be unnecessary.

After reading the story, I believe much has not been said about this. For now details are hazy but certain things stand out

1. It was a chartered flight even with international flights on hold. No one would charter an international flight without putting certain things in place

2. Those doctors would have been fully aware that an attempt to get into the UK without valid documents would lead to them being deported and definitely be the end of any aspirations of working in the UK. Definitely not a risk worth taking

3. Say they all didn't have Visa's. Would going together on a single flight not be the worst way to go about it?

4. Of recent, there has been an uptick in the number of Nigerian and Indian doctors and nurses moving to the UK moreso because of Brexit preps. With the lockdown in both countries due to Covid and also cancellation of foriegn licencing exams till the end of the year, there is a need to get doctors already licenced in
Not too long ago (before COVID) the NHS got very bad publicity for actively poaching nurses from poorer Asian countries. Also during Covid, there was the talk of temporarily licencing those not yet due for it. That is the extent of current shortage in the workforce. It makes sense for the UK to try and get those outside who already have a license and of course, they'd try and do it without involving the media because of a possible backlash.

2 Likes

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by saxywale1: 12:24am On Jul 11, 2020
9jakool:

Nigeria is a poor country that cannot afford to pay its doctors yet Nigerian lawmakers are some of the most well paid in the entire world. They are even more well-paid than UK lawmakers.

Snap out that delusion. Nigerians need to wise up.
This is one of the things Nigerians need to fight. The politicians are bleeding the country.
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by thiagoteres(m): 12:25am On Jul 11, 2020
mimilyrics:
If you take your time to read through, all the information you require is accessible via the link. See attached screenshots for your information.
Now I see the misunderstanding. You are talking about free visa extension for selected NHS workers while I am talking about health surcharge that has been scrapped for all NHS workers .

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-52761052

Did u go through the screenshot of the email by the way?

1 Like

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by Nobody: 12:25am On Jul 11, 2020
Visa is very important...
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by Etinosa1234: 12:36am On Jul 11, 2020
Summary of the whole thread...

Nigerians lie blatantly...and are looking for every means to continue to castigate the country

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by Golan007: 12:37am On Jul 11, 2020
[s]
ihesiuloa:

Oh Will you please be quiet and listen to intelligent folks talking? Isn't that explanation self assimilated? You are yapping 'STORY' and yet you are not making any sensible comment? What is 'gangstars' in this talk? And whoever tutured you on what is to be 'systematic and documented'? Or you just want to show your folly is a well represented forum as this?
[/s]

Shut up.

You cannot get into the UK from Nigeria without a valid visa.

There is no UK policy in the public domain, and I'll let you know they publish every policy (gov.uk, if you are interested) because they detest scandals.

There is no visa on arrival agreement between Nigeria and the UK, so enough of this stupid talk.

The Nigeria Immigration Service declined to process undocumented travelers for embarkation and rightly so.
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by saxywale1: 12:41am On Jul 11, 2020
Etinosa1234:
Summary of the whole thread...

Nigerians lie blatantly...and are looking for every means to continue to castigate the country
Nigerians on Nairaland are even saints. The Nigerians on twitter mehn. Lol.
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by laiperi: 12:42am On Jul 11, 2020
After all is said, you must feel sorry for Nigerians. It has never got to this stage in our lifetime. I remember this Ghanaian doctor that was treating Ghanaian prostitutes just before Ghana Must Go.

There was this girl there that begged me for a sowing machine so that she could quit prostitution. I was more touched by the plight of the doctor.

Now look at Nigerian doctors. Pity. Zik cried when we threw them out. I cry for my country.
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by mimilyrics: 12:51am On Jul 11, 2020
The health surcharge hasn't been scrapped yet; NHS workers with visas expiring after October 1st will still need to pay. The PM promised to scrap it but it's not done yet.
Yes, I read it. What's the source?
thiagoteres:

Now I see the misunderstanding. You are talking about free visa extension for selected NHS workers while I am talking about health surcharge that has been scrapped for all NHS workers .

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-52761052

Did u go through the screenshot of the email by the way?
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by RTSC: 12:53am On Jul 11, 2020
saxywale1:

I am not sure about the UK, but I highly doubt if the US are poaching Nigerian doctors. Unlike the UK, it's very hard for a foreign trained doctor trained outside the US, Canada or some Carribean medical schools to practice in the US.
Maybe on a normal day.
But these are not normal times.

I read it not too long ago when the US secretary of states on twitter, asked doctors, and health workers all over the world qualified in public health, to approach the US embassies in their countries and apply for a temporary work visa.
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by baby124: 12:55am On Jul 11, 2020
Some Nigerians are stupid sha. How do you sell yourself so cheap? You go there without visa, they use you and pay whatever then dump or deport you after Covid is over for not coming through the right channels. Then you will come on NL after creating 100 usernames to cry out for help back to Nigeria. Giving some hellish stories. Doctors wey no get sense.
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by missjekyll: 12:59am On Jul 11, 2020
laiperi:
You spend all your time blaming politicians, this is another money and talent laundering. Nigeria should open the Treasury so that you can help yourselves because you got free medical education.

Imagine if Britain and America got a plane to export their medical workers to Siberia and China for starving wages.

Nigeria must stop training these ingrates and replace all of them with community health officers that cannot be exported.

Money money money. Is that what made Russia, China and Scandinavian countries. After covid19, they will be sent back to their villages. Without papers, they will be hiding, doing odd jobs and sending pictures home that they have made it.

The next thing you hear, they have been deported or shot on sight by police.

Is Everything with you alright at home? Yes the Nigerian people have subsidised medical education but that doesnt mean Doctors should stay here and do odd jobs for 6 years and more while being denied residency training.

They have families and dependents too. Everyday you read the newspapers about key workers going on strike for their salaries. I say anyone who wants to leave should leave . Today if possible. See how valued they are,UK even sent private jet for them.

Keep this your aggro for buhari. Nigerian Doctors are not even answering you.

1 Like

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by erico2k2(m): 1:00am On Jul 11, 2020
Golan007:

Don't be stupid.

No immigration officer would let you travel without valid paperwork.

UK Visas are not issued on arrival.
They might have some sort of dispensation to which we aint privy to cos I find it strange for tehm to travel without legal docs when infact they can just go there with a job waiting!
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by erico2k2(m): 1:01am On Jul 11, 2020
baby124:
Some Nigerians are stupid sha. How do you sell yourself so cheap? You go there without visa, they use you and pay whatever then dump or deport you after Covid is over for not coming through the right channels. Then you will come on NL after creating 100 usernames to cry out for help back to Nigeria. Giving some hellish stories. Doctors wey no get sense.
Doctors never get deported from the Uk, they get a job automatically.
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by baby124: 1:02am On Jul 11, 2020
missjekyll:

Is Everything with you alright at home? Yes the Nigerian people have subsidised medical education but that doesnt mean Doctors should stay here and do odd jobs for 6 years and more while being denied residency training.

They have families and dependents too. Everyday you read the newspapers about key workers going on strike for their salaries. I say anyone who wants to leave should leave . Today if possible. See how valued they are,UK even sent private jet for them.

Keep this your aggro for buhari. Nigerian Doctors are not even answering you.
Maybe you all need to pay the rates your mates are paying all over the world so your trainers in LUTH and Uni can also cater to their family responsibilities.

1 Like

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by missjekyll: 1:03am On Jul 11, 2020
baby124:

Hilarious. Whatever helps you sleep at night. It doesnt work that way in the UK. They will be given visas when they arrive. Paid the exact amount agreed on their contract . They can also break the contract whenever they like,You hear. You may want to buy some sense before talking next time

2 Likes

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by baby124: 1:04am On Jul 11, 2020
erico2k2:

Doctors never get deported from the Uk, they get a job automatically.
Who told you that? No place will give you job just like that except Nigeria. You have to get work documents and go through a recognized residency program. They can only use the ones sneaking out as slaves. In the frontline of Covid which most of them won’t survive.
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by erico2k2(m): 1:07am On Jul 11, 2020
baby124:

Who told you that? No place will give you job just like that except Nigeria. You have to get work documents and go through a recognized residency program. They can only use the ones sneaking out as slaves. In the frontline of Covid which most of them won’t survive.
Do you live in the UK right about now?
For long Doctors have remained the #1 on the UK shortage list There is a desire for Nigerian doctors here in the UK, U hardly see doctors from other African countries here, One sure part of our educational status that we still maintain is the medical sector in our Universities. Even when nurses were banned from coming to the Uk to work the Uk opened the door for doctors!

2 Likes

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by baby124: 1:07am On Jul 11, 2020
missjekyll:

Hilarious. Whatever helps you sleep at night. It doesnt work that way in the UK. They will be given visas when they arrive. Paid the exact amount agreed on their contract . They can also break the contract whenever they like,You hear. You may want to buy some sense before talking next time
It’s hilarious because I have told you the obvious truth. If you want to be paid what your mates are being paid abroad then you need to pay what they pay for their education. So that the doctors teaching you can also be well paid.

Who told you they will be given Visas when they arrive? You are obviously not very intelligent or know what you are talking about. No sane country gives visas in the country. You are definitely talking like you need to go back to school and beg for sense.

1 Like

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by DiagnoPolitics: 1:08am On Jul 11, 2020
fairfora:
which embassy is open for visa business this pandemic? They had docimemts in lieu of visa. The fed govt just wanted to avoid global embarassment ni. For them to have had a fight already arranged for them all the way from the UK, it shows the travel was legit , so was the arrangement. This is what happens when you don't value what you have. There are countries who are willing to spoil doctors with money just to take care of their people. Here in Nigeria, the reverse is the case. 4 days ago lagos state govt sacked some health workers from various isllation centres at a time when they should have employed more.

Oga stop lying about flights arranged from the Uk, it's getting annoying already. Stop it.

People here are already concluding you are daft.

1 Like

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by baby124: 1:08am On Jul 11, 2020
erico2k2:

Do you live in the UK right about now?
Why? You need visa?
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by missjekyll: 1:10am On Jul 11, 2020
baby124:

Maybe you all need to pay the rates your mates are paying all over the world so your trainers in LUTH and Uni can also cater to their family responsibilities.

Nope,They still get it at same rate. Oil subsidizes all federal universities. This applies to other courses as well. most of them travel,train and come back because of a sense of beholding to the Nigerian People. The good people not people like you

Anyways it doesnt matter what you think. I dont know how much you make in 5 years but These doctors will make 10 times that this year alone. How does that make you feel? lol
Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by erico2k2(m): 1:13am On Jul 11, 2020
baby124:

Why? You need visa?
it is well wiv U, I have passed needing a UK visa a long time ago as U can see.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK by thiagoteres(m): 1:16am On Jul 11, 2020
mimilyrics:
The health surcharge hasn't been scrapped yet; NHS workers with visas expiring after October 1st will need to pay. The PM promised to scrap it but it's not done yet.
Yes, I read it. What's the source?

I posted a link to the news. I have colleagues who initially paid for health surcharge (not free visa extension o) for training position due to start in August that have been refunded. I used that analogy for the current discourse because I couldn't find any link to the scrapped health surcharge also on the government website. Does that then make it false?
The initial attached screenshot was an earlier mail sent to someone that eventually got electronic visa waiver to start work during this lockdown.
VACs would be opening up soon anyway ,so that process may no longer be applicable.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Japa: Don't Insult Nigeria If You Fall Under These Kind Of People (opinion) / Helicopter Crashes Into A Building In Ikeja, Lagos / Truck Crashes Into A Shop At Ojodu, Lagos After Brake Failure This Evening (Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.