Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,997 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:33 AM

Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure (49997 Views)

Demons In St Clairs Anglican Girls Grammar School, Offa Forced School's Closure / Lockdown: We Are Hungry - Private Schools Teachers Cry Out / Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by DelphiOracle(m): 2:01pm On Jul 12, 2020
Golan007:
Because of money you want to endanger the lives of people.

if u don't know hunger endanger lives too
Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by Chamberlin1983(m): 2:05pm On Jul 12, 2020
The private school owners want to use us to achieve their aims. Yes it is agreed that they are using us but the government can still help us as citizen of this nation despite the fact that we are working in private schools. We are citizens for GOD SAKE.
Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by DelphiOracle(m): 2:07pm On Jul 12, 2020
fratermathy:

There is no doubt that there are genuine reasons why schools should be closed in Nigeria. In fact, I agree with many of the arguments that people have made to defend this. However, there are many factors that must be considered before we conclude the matter. I'll just itemise them:

1. Covid-19 has no cure or vaccine and even if one comes up tomorrow, it'll realistically take more than 3 years to reach up to 30% of the Nigerian population. Corona is here to stay. There's no future utopia where the virus magically disappears. It won't go away next year so postponing resumption of schools means postponing the inevitable. In fact, by next year, for instance, the cases may be in the millions in Nigeria. Will schools be closed forever? Or you think our insensitive government will perform some magic?

2. Social distancing doesn't work in Nigeria. I don't know about your location but in mine, people go about their normal lives and there's nothing anyone can do about it. The children are still playing with their mates every day. Parents go to work and markets and may likely import the virus to their homes.

3. Children still go to churches or mosques (which are open in most places). Religious and social gatherings are known super spreaders of the virus.

4. So far, children are nowhere near vulnerable as far as Covid-19 is concerned. While this argument can be upended, it is a strong factor nonetheless. Children are not so much in danger as their teachers and the teachers are mature enough to protect themselves adequately.

5. Students in public schools in remote and riverine areas are struggling and therefore may face certain learning challenges if they stay out of school for too long. Many may lose interest in schools altogether. I have been to these places and I know how averse they are to education. Many simply go to school because their mates are going. Should they stay home for long periods, they may likely never resume whenever schools open (which, going by the logic of some concerns, can take more than 2 years).

6. Private school teachers have not been paid for months because, unlike the public sector, they have to work before they are paid. Furthermore, many of them have been organising lessons for miserly wages (this also contradicts why schools should be closed). Indeed, many of those who want schools to remain closed have means of educating their children effectively, forgetting the fisherman's child in Oporoza who either goes to school or hunts for bait worms.

7. Once again, corona is here to stay. There are many workarounds that can be easily adopted to curtail populated classrooms. We must either accept the reality of Covid-19 or simply all remain at home - no markets, malls, churches, mosques, work etc because no one is better or worse than schools as far as the virus is concerned. If you can afford homeschooling or online learning for your children, you should definitely go for it. However, what is good for Bernard is not necessarily good for Benetutukayo and it is nobody's fault that we have an irresponsible government that can't provide adequate infrastructure for times like this.

I am a realist in matters like this but there are factors that policy makers must consider even if schools must remain closed. Until the factors are appropriately pictured, we may be doing more harm due to our inability to see the wider picture. There are reasons why the lockdown didn't last in Nigeria. These are the same reasons why schools can't remain closed indefinitely.
well said!

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by crazygod(m): 2:08pm On Jul 12, 2020
dadebayo1:

Trust me if the school owners want to pay they will pay.... Even with 20k fees.... How much do they even pay staff self that they are refusing to pay salaries? It is a business and they should run it effectively... I repeat only mushroom schools will refuse to pay staff using covid as an excuse.... So they cannot manage to sustain the school for three months ? It is just so sad and we should all join hands in telling them the truth.... They are all wicked souls cashing in on the economic situation of things to cheat staff
You think its all black and white. Let me fill you in on the happenings in school finances.
1. State Govt dues alone at their cut throat rate can destabilize a school if not managed well especially in Lagos
2. Local govt still collect their fees. As far as its a business venture, you can't escape local govt fees
3. PAYE + Owners Assessment
4. Utility bills. NEPA, Lawma
5. Miscellaneous E.g Working Equipments, Fuel etc and that's daily and weekly
6. Salaries.
And all this comes from 20k per term and that's even if you can collect all the fees.
You think running a school is rosy? Think again

2 Likes

Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by Godmademan(m): 2:09pm On Jul 12, 2020
NOW NOW THEY HAVE FORMED ASSOCIATION. The stage is set... Adamu(Education Minister) VS Adams U. (NAPRIST CHAIRMAN).
Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by nestkojex(m): 2:12pm On Jul 12, 2020
You are the illiterate... Mumu
Nova1988:
God punish all those bastard teachers.

They just want school to open because of money.

They are putting themselves before the children.

They are risking getting the deadly virus because of ordinary 30k abi 50k.

Im now convinced that Nigerian teachers are illiterates.

May Corona locate all them bitches
Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by JBoss25(m): 2:18pm On Jul 12, 2020
backnbeta:
One man's meat... I'm still angry Oyo reopened schools because most people in Ibadan don't even care about the pandemic at all undecided

The people on the Streets need to be sensitized for the schools to be safe because they all go back home from school everyday. It is well!
shut up, don't those kids go to church and markets, use ur fvcking brain.
Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by Cool83(m): 2:24pm On Jul 12, 2020
so, there's an association like this and they can't fight for their poor remuneration, shame on them. There's is little or nothing that government can do about their plight because most of the schools are not registered, therefore not paying tax, even people that are paying tax are not getting any palliative from government
Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by Zendinho(m): 2:37pm On Jul 12, 2020
[quote author=EbenezerTriumph post=91636569] this adamu cow was the same man that denied me admission into University of Ibadan when he canceled postutme in 2016.
I got admitted the following year and now I'm still at home since March.
This Adamu has really so dealt with my career

What do you expect from a cow grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by Yankee101: 2:40pm On Jul 12, 2020
Allow us to die of COVID-19, not hunger

Protesting for the wrong reasons

You should be asking for subsistence not reopening
Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by Jdbrasco2: 2:44pm On Jul 12, 2020
Nova1988:

Gush, did you actually typed this. 30k - 50k is what they survive on. Now, no income and the govt can't even give them palliative instead they stealing the public fund. Reason well naa.

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by Benwallt(m): 2:44pm On Jul 12, 2020
It is an effort in futility. Government won't do nothing. I am in that category but the protest is worthless condering the government of today.
Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by euniselfyahoo: 2:50pm On Jul 12, 2020
What concerns government and private schools. Sorts for money to pay your teachers.
Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by Bestvicky16(f): 2:51pm On Jul 12, 2020
crazygod:

You think its all black and white. Let me fill you in on the happenings in school finances.
1. State Govt dues alone at their cut throat rate can destabilize a school if not managed well especially in Lagos
2. Local govt still collect their fees. As far as its a business venture, you can't escape local govt fees
3. PAYE + Owners Assessment
4. Utility bills. NEPA, Lawma
5. Miscellaneous E.g Working Equipments, Fuel etc and that's daily and weekly
6. Salaries.
And all this comes from 20k per term and that's even if you can collect all the fees.
You think running a school is rosy? Think again

Thank you for letting him know. It's easier for anyone to conclude on a matter they have little or no idea of. Uptil today, more than half of the students in my school are yet to pay their last term's school fees and you dare not ask because everyone is using the pandemic as excuse.

Some people have forgotten that private schools owners are also affected too.

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by vezycash(m): 3:11pm On Jul 12, 2020
majamajic:
Did the school owners get school fees from students , no
That's the difference between government schools and private ,
So owners should pay from their pockets ?
That's one of disadvantages of teaching in private schools

You know Lagos State is still collecting dues from private school despite the lockdown?
Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by ILuvMerije(f): 3:12pm On Jul 12, 2020
Prodigee:
So make children resume make the virus continue spread among the kids abi? Una too get sense! undecided
Don't their parents go out to work, business and market?
and after the day's work, don't they return home to their kids?.
I f you really want to protect kids, then declare a total lock down for everyone.

2 Likes

Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by stormborn28(m): 3:13pm On Jul 12, 2020
Golan007:
Because of money you want to endanger the lives of people.

sometimes I do wonder if you have the real grey matter in your skull. Is a hungry man not endanger? Nonsense everywhere

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by Haywhymido(m): 3:13pm On Jul 12, 2020
MoIbrahim:
Na so so protest everywhere. Even those who have no reason to do so.
those who have no reason to protest like the hungry private school teachers who have family to feed? ori yin tii buru sir.

2 Likes

Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by LongLife4all: 3:16pm On Jul 12, 2020
Please I'm fully in for this. Let's ride on.
Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by vezycash(m): 3:20pm On Jul 12, 2020
crazygod:

7. TV fees
8. National association of private school dues
9. Advertising fees for busses, sign boards
10. Mandatory Funimation fees paid every term to local government
11. Students who owe and jump schools
12. Stupid Lagos State who approve establishment of new schools right in front of another school despite the law mandating a minimum distance between schools.
13. There is a per student fee
14. Fire extinguisher hustlers
15. Waste basket peddlers from government

Waec inspector settlements (or they write stupid report claiming massive exam malpractice against the school)

...and many more

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by backnbeta(f): 3:24pm On Jul 12, 2020
JBoss25:
shut up, don't those kids go to church and markets, use ur fvcking brain.
There is a difference between expressing your opinion and being rude undecided
Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by Nova1988(m): 3:24pm On Jul 12, 2020
XXXXTENTACION:
It seems you are the illiterate here. I wonder how somebori like you does not know the value of education

even a 5 year old child get sense pass you cool

Thanks to everyone that insulted me, I appreciate you all grin

But my own is that no matter what they do the government wouldn't still care.

This Corona virus pandemic has taught me a lot of things

This period has made me to understand that having a degree doesn't mean you would make it in life, you have to work smart not hard. And that is one thing that most people do not know.

Teachers please don't get me wrong I mean no disrespect you guys have the most important job on this planet, but the mistake you guys make is that you teach all your students to depend on school which is very wrong and if you continue like this, in the future you are gonna find a lot of people graduating out if your class right into the unemployment line. Let me tell you a little about WHY SCHOOL SUCKS!

A man by the name of Mark Twain once said: "I never let my schooling interfere with my education". it is said that a child educated only in school is an uneducated child. What does that mean? It means that true education is not merely learned through a textbook. And the way to prove that one understands something is not merely through a test. This is the old way. The chalk and talk way. The way of memorizing facts then taking a test and then forgetting about them a week later. What good does that do? A man by the name of Howard Gardner came up with the theory of multiple intelligences. He said that they are auditory Learners kinesthetic, Learners, people that learn through touch, people that learn through stories. See we all have different gifts and strengths and to create an educational system where only one type of learning is preferred is absurd. Not only unfair but it sacrifices the God given abilities of students, and the good of the world. The best advice I could give a student is figure out how YOU learn. Just because you fail a test doesn't mean you're "slow" just because you are having a hard time understanding something doesn't mean it's impossible. Because they are no bad students, only inflexible teachers. Yeah, I went there. When I was in the third grade my teacher Mrs. Williams wanted to hold me back, she said I was...... "slow". They do not want me saying this but when I was growing up my parents thought that I had mental disabilities. No! I just wasn't understanding in the way that they were teaching. The same man who took us to the Moon Wernher Von Braun failed maths class twice. See nobody is "slow". But the secret is you must figure out how you learn and Learn EVERYTHING you can about what you love and I promise life will become a lot easier.

I know some of you taught I'm very evil or heartless, but I'm sorry for what I wrote it didn't come out right, I hope this post will make u to understand what I really meant to say.

PEACE!

nestkojex Jdbrasco2 shugaboy6102 CalebLebsco56 OOSmilling rawitools
Temysteve ugosteine23 Nairalandmonika Chudivictor mike272 gudnex22
Veronn Quinniscent Tilykay placeofallure MajorOvakporaye Hummel94 donmik
jidamsel43 Hongkongfukid lainwords098 Jozibrainz99 franugo Kingzeez10 obinoral1179 triplec93 MichaelSokoto frankline461
Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by Golan007: 3:28pm On Jul 12, 2020
stormborn28:
sometimes I do wonder if you have the real grey matter in your skull. Is a hungry man not endanger? Nonsense everywhere

Last last you go get sense.

I believe.
Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by Oiza131(f): 3:34pm On Jul 12, 2020
Nova1988:

You're such a fool.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by stormborn28(m): 3:37pm On Jul 12, 2020
Golan007:

Last last you go get sense.

I believe.
i can see you are advising yourself now. good you are realizing
Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by stormborn28(m): 3:51pm On Jul 12, 2020
backnbeta:

There is a difference between expressing your opinion and being rude undecided
the guy asked a very good question.. These children still play with their mates. So how do you know who had contact with their mates in that social chain order? Even their parents go out everyday and come home. There is a very busy market no too far from where I live. If you see how people interact there, and if COVID-19 is spread the way it is broadcast. I think more than 90 percent of Nigerians are endangered. Closing school is never a solution from my observation so far. People don dey carry Ashawo dey Fvck now. So what are we now achieving

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by Aswidi: 4:06pm On Jul 12, 2020
Maybe you don't have an ideal of what teachers are going through. If children are allowed to go churches/ mosques, market and other open and crowded places, why not allow schools to be open where there will more organization in terms of obeying and adhering to guidelines given by NCDC.
Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by WizzyVine: 4:19pm On Jul 12, 2020
I have always imagined the plight of private school teachers and that of proprietors whose schools are still small. How will they sustain themselves at such a time like this?
Government should respond to them with sensitive and empathy.
These people need urgent help, otherwise, hunger will kill more people than coronavirus.
Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by bende7t: 4:19pm On Jul 12, 2020
I am also a teacher in a private school. This association does not exist, and has never been.
Imagine the way the private schools proprietors treat us.
We have always been on the receiving end from our personal income tax that is not properly remitted after been deducted by our Ogad. To not paying our stipends to pension fund managers to safeguard retirement.
This association was not created by any private school teachers but by private school owners.
My income has been affected, but I know this association does not exist before covid-19!
Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by anytaij: 4:37pm On Jul 12, 2020
chime8:
GOD ACTUALLY PUNISHED US WITH APC GOVERNMENT.

when GOD wants to punish a nation, HE give them evil ruler

I just pity the jobless private school teachers
you no follow vote APC?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Teacher Styles Her Hair Like Her Student's Hair To Make Her Feel Better (photo) / SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist / Shocking Photos Of OAU Exam Hall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.