Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,682 members, 7,813,270 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:58 AM

What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks - Culture (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks (63919 Views)

Poll: Will you give your children tribal marks?

Yes: 10% (15 votes)
No: 89% (128 votes)
This poll has ended

Photos: Are Tribal Marks Attractive Or Repulsive? / Culture Or Cruelty? Do We Still Need Tribal Marks?(pics) / Real Authentic Yoruba Tribal Mark (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by TerraCotta(m): 6:09pm On Jul 05, 2007
Irish people don't seem to be as myopic as Naijas sha. Rotimi Adebari, the newly-elected mayor of Portaloise, Ireland and the first black mayor in Irish history, is living a successful life with his Ondo marks cheesy

Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by laudate: 6:16pm On Jul 05, 2007
Wonderful news!! I pray he excels & succeeds beyond everyone's wildest dreams! wink
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by champredd(m): 6:25pm On Jul 05, 2007
I dont know people are still going on about this tribal mark issue, most of the top leadership of this country have a form of it.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by laudate: 6:48pm On Jul 05, 2007
champredd:

I don't know people are still going on about this tribal mark issue, most of the top leadership of this country have a form of it.

Champredd, no make me vex o!  angry  You be my friend, but that your question is going to take us back several pages down the line.

We have just come full circle from point number one, where someone tried to make out that tribal marks was a peculiar practice found in Yoruba land, to where it was noted by others that tribal marks were not peculiar to just Yoruba people, but was common in most ethnic groups. From there, the discussion expanded to a comparison of tribal marks and tattoos, before it went on to become a heated debate of how the same set of people who were trying to generalize the issue on the tribal mark thingy, rejected any attempt to generalize on the osu thingy in another thread. From the tribal mark issue, we had folks who described it as mutilation, and actually came to say such practices didn’t exist in their tribe, and when it was pointed out that it actually did (backed by references), the whole thing then became a ping-pong debate of denial.

Shey, you can still follow the trend? tongue Then, it took on a further dimension, when the naming ceremony angle was added into it, as those denying that facial marks existed in their ethnic group, were reminded of how they had also denied that naming ceremonies existed in their ethnic group in another thread, only to be confronted by facts and records, that it did. Then everyone left the issue of facial marks and another debate on naming ceremonies & its’ existence, began. Arguments were put forward, references were cited and some insults were exchanged in the process. Now, we have finally drawn the curtains on that issue (I think!) and we are trying to move back to the topic of facial marks.  undecided

Now all of a sudden, you are popping up to take us back to where we started.

Abeg, take time o!.  grin
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:50pm On Jul 05, 2007
lol laudate, you try sha cheesy
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by laudate: 7:28pm On Jul 05, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

lol laudate, you try sha cheesy

Hehehe. . . . ; wink
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by player007(m): 8:35pm On Jul 05, 2007
hi am charles 4rm lagos u see dis tradition started long ago, it is an old custom 2 b first used among d yoruba:s 2 identify were u are from in yoruba land. cause there is d oyo, ondo, ogun, & ibadan were i was born(i dont have d mark my self). grin[flash=200,200][/flash][email][/email][color=#000099][/color]
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jul 06, 2007
Umm. . .Has someone been to this Igbo ceremony yet?

By the way, I just realized that if Yorubas needed such marks to identify themselves then they must have been fighting each other on a regular basis prior to colonization. True or False?
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by fromuk(m): 10:45pm On Jul 06, 2007
the first time i saw the mark i thought the guy fight with lion, i was oh this lion hot this guy very bad b4 the person i was with told me its fashion abi na culture.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by debosky(m): 10:48pm On Jul 06, 2007
Donzman:

By the way, I just realized that if Yorubas needed such marks to identify themselves then they must have been fighting each other on a regular basis prior to colonization. True or False?

True, especially in the times the Ibadan-based kingdom wanted to conquer the smaller ones around it to collect royalties. The marks were not the only differentiators though, language and dressing differences also existed as well for the same purpose
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by champredd(m): 6:06pm On Jul 07, 2007
Donzman:

Yeah, they are busy fighting each other like the rest of the fucking world. Only they didn't stop and negotiate on time, that is why Africa has been backward since then.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by k0be: 7:17pm On Jul 07, 2007
Your stereotypes, discriminations, and prejudices about the Yoruba people better be recycled online, or said amonst your people, or left as soliloquies, otherwise you say this dumb rubbish outside that vicinity, you'll get your bodies twisted.

10 Char.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by tpia: 7:33pm On Jul 07, 2007
Donzman:

yes, that's true. Like the long juju of Arochukwu which engaged in warring against, buying and selling other Igbo into slavery. Also like the famous warrior clan of the Igbo.

abi your own village dey united before colonization? lets hear the lies.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by k0be: 7:39pm On Jul 07, 2007
I want to understand why so many igbo people are so acrimonious.
They find the slighest opportunity to turn every discussion into a tribalistic one "Igbo vs. whatever"
Face your problem(s) if you want a means to achieve an end to it.

>10 Char.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jul 07, 2007
tpia:

yes, that's true. Like the long juju of Arochukwu which engaged in warring against, buying and selling other Igbo into slavery. Also like the famous warrior clan of the Igbo.

abi your own village dey united before colonization? lets hear the lies.

There goes another fool, you think this is a competition or something.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by k0be: 9:10pm On Jul 07, 2007
Don't blame him for something you perpetrated

> 10 Char.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jul 07, 2007
k0be:

Don't blame him for something you perpetrated

> 10 Char.

I was just trying to figure out why people will try to mark themselves on the face for identification, Dumbass!
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by k0be: 10:48pm On Jul 07, 2007
I was just trying to figure out why people will try to mark themselves on the face for identification, Dumbass!

That question has been answered over and over and over and over again, Bitch!

10 Char.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 4:49am On Jul 08, 2007
k0be:

That question has been answered over and over and over and over again, Bitch!

10 Char.

You're realy an idiot, they have the marks for ID purposes but Donzman iswondering why they needed the marks in the firs place, probably because they're warring alot. Got it?. . .Mumu!
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by k0be: 6:28am On Jul 08, 2007
You're realy an idiot, they have the marks for ID purposes but Donzman iswondering why they needed the marks in the firs place, probably because they're warring alot. Got it?. . .Mumu!
Ok keep on crying me a river, sister.
Since you've concluded that it's probably because they're warring a lot stick to that conclusion, golugo.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 8:10am On Jul 08, 2007
Just admit you're daft and move on. I said I think it's due to warring, (T or F) and Debosky said true, keep whining!

By the way, I'm still waiting for someone who has been to this ceremony and according to Laudate's source, it's the most important ceremony in the life of a child, this source is credible indeed.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by TrueBrit: 11:27am On Jul 08, 2007
There is no significance of tribal marks in this modern day and age.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by k0be: 5:58pm On Jul 08, 2007
Just admit you're daft and move on. I said I think it's due to warring, (T or F) and Debosky said true, keep whining!

By the way, I'm still waiting for someone who has been to this ceremony and according to Laudate's source, it's the most important ceremony in the life of a child, this source is credible indeed.
If you weren't so gay you wouldn't be asking that lame question. You said you think it's due to warring, and that somebody else already answered your question, so why did you have to continuously ask it plenty times after?
That's not the real reason why you asked why the tribal marks are needed, you're just an egocentric, tribalistic punk with nothing better to do with his time, you Fucking tool.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by champredd(m): 6:36pm On Jul 08, 2007
No quarrel o grin
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by laudate: 7:15pm On Jul 08, 2007
champredd:

No quarrel o grin

Abeg, no put mouth inside this matter o!  wink It looks like Donzman has met his match at last!! E don tay wey e don dey abuse person. Na today e be like say im come meet person wey pass am.  cheesy

Wey ThiefofHearts, Militia, Tera Cotta, Afam, Imani, Cute-ass & everybody? I say wey all of una dey?   Na me go collect tickets for gate, once this fight start o!

Oya, na this side make all of una perch.  undecided  *Rii-ii-iiiing!*! (sound of bell!)

Let the grammatical punches begin!! Warning. . . .no hitting below the belt o! No collective insult of any ethnic group. Anyone indulging in such acts, will be disqualified.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Freewilly(f): 8:33pm On Jul 08, 2007
laudate:

Abeg, no put mouth inside this matter o!  wink It looks like Donzman has met his match at last!! E don tay wey e don dey abuse person. Na today e be like say im come meet person wey pass am.  cheesy

Wey ThiefofHearts, Militia, Tera Cotta, Afam, Imani, Cute-ass & everybody? I say wey all of una dey?   Na me go collect tickets for gate, once this fight start o!

Oya, na this side make all of una perch.  undecided  *Rii-ii-iiiing!*! (sound of bell!)

Let the grammatical punches begin!! Warning. . . .no hitting below the belt o! No collective insult of any ethnic group. Anyone indulging in such acts, will be disqualified.

Will you stop trying to insticate a fight between Donzman and kobe just because he got you hands down on the Igbo naming ceremony nonsense. Oh by the way my dear you are so not funny so please don't quit your day job.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by tpia: 8:40pm On Jul 08, 2007
Donzman:

There goes another fool, you think this is a competition or something.

what? No more lies to cook up? You must be crazy if you've forgotten your original question which I answered.

Tribalist wacko.

You ought to have a medal in lying. Champion liar.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 11:07pm On Jul 08, 2007
@Laudate

None of these people are a match, I'm just done with this topic, nothing more to say.

@tpia

Why exactly are you acting like a little girl?. . .Yorubas got these marks because they was a lot of warring between groups, how exactly is that tribalist?. . .You proceeded to tell me that Arochukwu people captured other villages and sold them to slavery, ok, how does that change anything?. . .Dumbass, you probably have your brain up your fat ass or something. My own village wasn't united before colonization, so what? How does that stop me from asking if Yorubas got the tribal marks because they were in constant fighting?

k0be:

If you weren't so gay you wouldn't be asking that lame question. [b]You said you think it's due to warring, and that somebody else already answered your question, so why did you have to continuously ask it plenty times after?[/b]That's not the real reason why you asked why the tribal marks are needed, you're just an egocentric, tribalistic punk with nothing better to do with his time, you Fucking tool.

If your day job is mind reading, you need something else to do because you're very bad at it.

Ok let me count, I asked it first time, Debosky replied and I returned to this thread only to see you and your live-in boyfriend attacking Donzman. You are the tribalist, you're the one who see a simple question as a competition, you're an insecure human being and you're striving for attention. Guess what?. . .Donzman isn't giving idiots like you, I've got something better to do. Giving you attention will be akin to bathing and clothing a pig, a waste of my rather precious time! Go get a life you fucking idiot, I'm above you but I'm not God so I cannot give you a life, neither will I let you partake in mine. I do not share my life with insecure tribalists like you!
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by debosky(m): 11:10pm On Jul 08, 2007
seems you've pissed off quite a few people Donzie, can't say i'm surprised though, you're a pretty abraisive fellow wink

Freewilly:

Will you stop trying to insticate a fight between Donzman and kobe just because he got you hands down on the Igbo naming ceremony nonsense. Oh by the way my dear you are so not funny so please don't quit your day job.

easy on the grammar mami, no quarrel intended grin wink
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by tpia: 11:39pm On Jul 08, 2007
Donzman:

@tpia

Why exactly are you acting like a little girl?. . .Yorubas got these marks because they was a lot of warring between groups, how exactly is that tribalist?. . .You proceeded to tell me that Arochukwu people captured other villages and sold them to slavery, ok, how does that change anything?. . .Dumbass, you probably have your brain up your fat ass or something. My own village wasn't united before colonization, so what? How does that stop me from asking if Yorubas got the tribal marks because they were in constant fighting?

look, dunceman, you need to check your own backyard before opening your mouth to comment on other people. Since you've shown you only see the world through the unbalanced, tribalistic and prejudiced myopia that you call a viewpoint, you shouldnt act upset when you get called out.

knowing you, you've probably convinced yourself that all evil rests with Yoruba people while all heavenly virtues rest in Igboland. Too bad you dont know your own history.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Uche2nna(m): 11:54pm On Jul 08, 2007
This is one major reason why Nigeria will never be great amidst vast human and material resources. This is a just a forum and yet people find it very comfortable to see everything from the angle of tribes. Imagine what will happen if this were a committee. To be more specific, Imagine Kobe and Donzman in a Committee for Education or something shocked
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by k0be: 12:48am On Jul 09, 2007
If your day job is mind reading, you need something else to do because you're very bad at it.

Ok let me count, I asked it first time, Debosky replied and I returned to this thread only to see you and your live-in boyfriend attacking Donzman. You are the tribalist, you're the one who see a simple question as a competition, you're an insecure human being and you're striving for attention. Guess what?. . .Donzman isn't giving idiots like you, I've got something better to do. Giving you attention will be akin to bathing and clothing a pig, a waste of my rather precious time! Go get a life you fucking idiot, I'm above you but I'm not God so I cannot give you a life, neither will I let you partake in mine. I do not share my life with insecure tribalists like you!
Even if you were let off on that alone, why was that your only focus? Why didn't you yield when others pointed out that tribal marks aren't specific to the Yorubas alone? You didn't because you are a dunce man. You are one of the few that derailed this topic and turned it into a blame game. Your fellow crimesmen also condmned Yorubas saying they're cruel and whatever. You get off and cream your pants when tribalism-centered arguments break out. Why didn't you ask why igbos need to mark the face of the sick? Is it because those marks aren't as thick? you fool, I can go on and on about your selfishness on this thread. Slut!
Uche? me and who in a committee for edu wetin? not this guy, his bias alone is enough to make me break his head.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

A "Super-sweet" Collection Of Hausa Proverbs / Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) / Somali-Sudanese Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.