Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,067 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:46 AM

What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks - Culture (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks (63943 Views)

Poll: Will you give your children tribal marks?

Yes: 10% (15 votes)
No: 89% (128 votes)
This poll has ended

Photos: Are Tribal Marks Attractive Or Repulsive? / Culture Or Cruelty? Do We Still Need Tribal Marks?(pics) / Real Authentic Yoruba Tribal Mark (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 1:16am On Jul 09, 2007
@tpia

knowing you, you've probably convinced yourself that all evil rests with Yoruba people while all heavenly virtues rest in Igboland. Too bad you don't know your own history.

Sucks for you, you don't know me. Last I checked, Donzman never said all evil/good rests with anyone because Donzman doesn't really care.

look, dunceman, you need to check your own backyard before opening your mouth to comment on other people. Since you've shown you only see the world through the unbalanced, tribalistic and prejudiced myopia that you call a viewpoint, you shouldnt act upset when you get called out

Ok start a thread for that where you say what you feel is happening in the Igboman's backyard. If you're not ethnocentric and closed minded, why does it hurt you to know that Yorubas were fighting against each other?. . .Greeks, Brits, Americans and etcetera tell stories of how groups within fought themselves, why exactly are you taking it personal that Yorubas do the same. If it makes you feel any better, Onitsha people were in constant fight with Obosi people even during colonization. See Donzman doesn't feel bad saying that, it's history, now Donzman wants more of that attitude, don't take everything as a personal slight.

I was the one who pointed out that Igbos mark sick people because they believe it will drive away the spirits or something. You can say whatever you want about Igbos as long as it is true, Donzman will take it for what it is. It is when falsehoods like naming ceremonies in Igboland is being spread that Donzman comes to tell the TRUTH.

You should be happy I'm replying to you, look how I ignore retards.  grin
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:35am On Jul 09, 2007
tpia:

knowing you, you've probably convinced yourself that all evil rests with Yoruba people while all heavenly virtues rest in Igboland. Too bad you don't know your own history.

To be honest though, that's actually more of osisi's plight.  wink

laudate, I travelled jare. How you dey? and no mind those imbeciles. you are very entertaining  cheesy

now back to "insticating"

I must say I like this kobe person. Carry on, jere! grin
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by tpia: 5:39am On Jul 09, 2007
Donzman:

@tpia

Sucks for you, you don't know me. Last I checked, Donzman never said all evil/good rests with anyone because Donzman doesn't really care.

Ok start a thread for that where you say what you feel is happening in the Igboman's backyard. If you're not ethnocentric and closed minded, why does it hurt you to know that Yorubas were fighting against each other?. . .Greeks, Brits, Americans and etcetera tell stories of how groups within fought themselves, why exactly are you taking it personal that Yorubas do the same. If it makes you feel any better, Onitsha people were in constant fight with Obosi people even during colonization. See Donzman doesn't feel bad saying that, it's history, now Donzman wants more of that attitude, don't take everything as a personal slight.

I was the one who pointed out that Igbos mark sick people because they believe it will drive away the spirits or something. You can say whatever you want about Igbos as long as it is true, Donzman will take it for what it is. It is when falsehoods like naming ceremonies in Igboland is being spread that Donzman comes to tell the TRUTH.

You should be happy I'm replying to you, look how I ignore retards.  grin

look, dunceman, I dont have the time or the inclination to stay here and argue with you all day over which is the better tribe. You know what you said, so dont come trying to cover up your motives and feel good comments. I could care less about naming ceremonies anywhere- what you fail to realize is that[b] Africans[/b] have their cultural way of doing things, whether you dont even give a child a name at all talkless of inviting people, or you throw a big party to name a child, the thing is- the child is named. 

And I dont remember making any comment about the naming issue- you're the one who keeps trying to attack other tribes as if they're somehow lesser than you. Big lie. People who live in glass houses should not throw stones. Anything found in other tribes, whether Yoruba,Isoko or Kalabari, good or bad, has its counterpart in your tribe as well. You dont need to start painting others as if you're better than them. Very hypocritical.If people reply you in the same vein, then you get all hurt and upset and start parroting persecution. You need to know when to caution yourself.

so if you ignore retards, why should I be happy you're replying me? see how you contradict yourself. If you consider me a retard, then dont respond to my posts. Seems I must have touched some nerves of yours. Just give yourself a headache over nothing.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by laudate: 11:44am On Jul 09, 2007
Freewilly:

Will you stop trying to insticate a fight between Donzman and kobe just because he got you hands down on the Igbo naming ceremony nonsense. Oh by the way my dear you are so not funny so please don't quit your day job.

Hehehe. . . .na who dey talk? You?? shocked

In what way did he get me hands down on the Igbo naming ceremony nonsense, to use your infantile words? The guy denied that such a thing took place in Alaigbo. Even his sidekick, babyosisi also supported him vehemently that it never existed in Igbo land. We cited references to show that it did, at one point in time. In fact, Asaba was given as an example. Your friend Donzman came up to give us the pathetic excuse, that Asaba was not a representative Igbo society. Only God knows what he means by that. If you do not support the statements made by those scholars, cite your own references too, to disprove them. Period.

A large number of those references, were works by fellow Ndi'Igbo, like himself. No Fulani, Gwari, Yoruba, Efik, Edo, Anang, Ijaw, Kanuri etc. person wrote those things. The references came from eminent Igbo scholars like Michael Chukwudalu Echeruo who defined igi-afa as 'naming ceremony' in his Igbo-English dictionary which is used world wide, as well as Sam Uzochukwu, a high-ranking professor, as well as foreign scholars. So what on earth is your beef?  Did you follow the trend of those comments at all?

Please don't take us backwards, by making us rehash all the issues that brought us to this point. Let us move forward, and leave the floor to those who want to thrash out more important issues.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by laudate: 11:54am On Jul 09, 2007
@tpia,

Please 'fashi' this guy, jare! He will keep going round and round in circles, even when the facts are there for everyone to see. If the truth came & smacked him in the face, he still wouldn't recognise it, for what it is.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 2:15am On Jul 10, 2007
@TPIA

What exactly is your point?. . .Naming ceremonies are not a bad thing, they just do not exist where I come from, end of story. So because I said they do not exist where I come from, that means I think it's a bad thing or what?. . .Get a life man.

What else is your point?. . .So I should not ask if Yorubas were warring thus the need for the marks because of what exactly?. . .
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:20pm On Jul 10, 2007
cos I answered that question since page 1. wink
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jul 10, 2007
Did you mention anything about wars?. . .That was a question that popped into my head and I decided to ask it, now Donzman shouldn't ask it according to tpia because Igbos were at war too.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by tpia: 9:04pm On Jul 10, 2007
see donzman trying to leave his big basket of troubles on tpia's front yard.

Denseman, you can twist my words anyway you like- like I said, give yourself a headache over nothing.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by tpia: 9:12pm On Jul 10, 2007
laudate:

@tpia,

Please 'fashi' this guy, jare! He will keep going round and round in circles, even when the facts are there for everyone to see. If the truth came & smacked him in the face, he still wouldn't recognise it, for what it is.

I wonder o. Now he's trying to dump all the wahala at my front door.

I can see this thing will never end, left to donzman. Some people and their undying hatred of other tribes sha.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 11:19pm On Jul 10, 2007
Yeah I hate other tribes, PROOF please?. . .
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:42am On Jul 11, 2007
Donzman:

Did you mention anything about wars?. . .That was a question that popped into my head and I decided to ask it, now Donzman shouldn't ask it according to tpia because Igbos were at war too.

This was mentioned on page 1

Tribal marks, a kind of practice associated with[b] fratricidal wars[/b] in ancient times, were used to distinguish members of particular communities. .

and this was mentioned on page 2

Ila is the word for traditional Yoruba cicatrization ("scarification"wink. They were made for a variety of different reasons, but mainly to differentiate between the different sub-groups of Yoruba-speaking people during wars. This became important during the slave-trading era of the 18th and 19th century, because people from different city-states like Ibadan, Ijebu, Ilesa etc. used cicatrizations to quickly distinguish between allies and members of their own group and their 'enemies' who could be sold. Some families elected to continue the custom, but it is far from a common practice these days. I think it was actually banned in Ekiti State last year

Had you actually bothered reading the thread Donzie instead of trying to fight people over ichie marks with the lame excuses of "well ours isnt as prominent" bullshit, then you wouldnt be asking a question that was answered many times before.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 1:24am On Jul 11, 2007
I don't read any of those lengthy articles posted by TerraCotta for obvious reasons. I obviously missed the wars reference on page 1. The point I got from your ANSWERS was that they got the marks to differentiate people from different parts of Yorubaland which left me wondering exactly why the marks were needed. Then I decided to ask questions which got tpia's feelings hurt. Like how dare Donzman ask questions about wars in Yorubaland like they do not exist in Igboland?. . .Bewildering reasoning!
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:33am On Jul 11, 2007
Point still remains that your "simple" question was answered many times before by others and I think it's funny that you thought less of reading Terra's "lengthy" post about the reasons for tribal marks yet IN THE SAME post, he talked about ichie marks and Ozos etc and you have no problem quoting THAT and arguing with him about it

Hmm.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 1:47am On Jul 11, 2007
95% of TerraCotta's posts were plagiarized directly from some website on the internet, why will I spend my time reading all of that?

Nobody talked about the wars in Yorubaland in anything more than 2 lines, that is hardly what I'll consider "talked about it alot in this thread." If anyone said anything extensive about it, why will I ask the question again?
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:58am On Jul 11, 2007
anyone said anything extensive about it, why will I ask the question again?

Donz, don't make me state the obvious.

You are just making retarded excuses now.

You had time to quote the part about ichie marks (that was all the way near the bottom of his post) but in the SAME post you couldnt take your time to read the significance of tribal marks(which was the first thing mentioned), you can NOT be that oblivious to the truth. Whether he copied it from wherever doesnt change anything.

Point remains most of you didnt bother with this thread to learn about the significance but to look for reasons to argue and make things the usual "Igbo vs Yoruba" competition
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 2:08am On Jul 11, 2007
You're just paranoid and so is tpia, I was done with this thread a week ago or so.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:14am On Jul 11, 2007
then waka comot jare.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 2:27am On Jul 11, 2007
Donzman:

You're just paranoid and so is tpia, I was done with this thread a week ago or so.

shocked grin grin grin grin Please someone remind me, are we still in last week?
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by TerraCotta(m): 3:50am On Jul 11, 2007
Donzman:

95% of TerraCotta's posts were plagiarized directly from some website on the internet, why will I spend my time reading all of that?

LOL --Why am I not surprised that Donzman knows that I'm a plagiarist even though he doesn't read my posts Anyway, I'm calling your bluff. You can either prove that "95% of TerraCotta's posts were plagiarized directly from some website" or you can add another apology to your long list. Every word was written by me, unless I specifically quoted someone. Please feel free to prove differently.

By the way, are you paying your debts in naira, dollars, pound sterling, or Euros? Hell, I'll even take cowrie shells cheesy
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by k0be: 4:03am On Jul 11, 2007
lol dumbman total ownage. bonsman is getting owned.
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Mustay(m): 8:12am On Jul 11, 2007
[size=28pt]thread closed[/size]
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by zenom: 4:43pm On Jul 25, 2007
I wonder why its being popularized as yoruba tribal marks.

Its done in almost every tribe in Nigeria for completely different reasons.

Fulani's, tiv, jukun, igbo, yoruba, hausa almost all the tribes have them.

The only tribe i'm yet to see with a tribal mark are the calabar and akwa-iboms, even those from Rivers have(ikwere).

Nevertheless i think it should be made illegal. If at the age of 18 you decide to have a tribal mark, then its up to the person, its very wrong giving a child marks. angry
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by AkedeOba(m): 5:26pm On Feb 25, 2008
Please bring this discussion to the new Yorubaland web site at www.yorubaland.org
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by spoilt(f): 1:35am On Feb 26, 2008
i beg you please dont revive this thread. blood was almost shed here! shocked shocked
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Nobody: 4:06am On Feb 26, 2008
had a friend whose popsy tore the better 2/3rd of his face.this is all rubbish
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by Freewilly(f): 9:32am On Feb 26, 2008
spoilt:

i beg you please don't revive this thread. blood was almost shed here! shocked shocked

You are so right oh shocked shocked enemies where made on this thread, a lot of good people had to leave Nl and come back with different log in names
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by tpia: 10:49pm On Feb 26, 2008
where is the donzman sef. Very argumentative guy.

And who is this akede oba?
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by LadieSeun(f): 1:30am On Mar 28, 2008
i dont rily kno xactly wat da tribal marks mean, but thank GOD i dont ave one!! smiley
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by gbolah1(m): 12:42pm On Mar 28, 2008
I have some of the people that has this tribal mark and it feat them
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by maryray(f): 7:22am On Dec 07, 2008
O LORD another Idiotic thread here 2 insult another tribe ehn? alright

D significance?, abah it is a sign to tell people as dumb and ethnist as u r, 2 leave nairaland, n go develop your till now undeveloped states! lipsrsealed.

NONSENSE!!

AS IF WE can't SEE THAT U ALL R GREEN WITH ENVY, WHEN A TRIBE IS YABBED TO MUCH, IT COULD BE BECAUSE THEY R SO DEVELOPED OTHERS R GREEN WITH ENVY.
SAVE YOUR BREATH, I don't REPLY 2. . . . . . . . 
Re: What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks by IbukunO1(f): 8:49pm On May 27, 2009
it shows that the only beauty lays in god!

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

A "Super-sweet" Collection Of Hausa Proverbs / Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) / Prince Tsola Emiko To Succeed Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.