Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,903 members, 7,810,473 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:44 AM

Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience (26213 Views)

Nairalander Gets Refunded And Compensated After Police Extortion / Nigerians Stand Against Illegal Police Search In Mumbai, India (Photos) / Girl Thrown Out Of Pool Party, Unclad, For Resisting Sexual Harassment In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Gabaleve(m): 9:13pm On Jul 18, 2020
My name is David, On the 11th of July 2020 at around 11:50am, I was stopped by men of the Nigeria Police Force(Safer highways patrol) at the Ogori/Ageva road, Okene Local Govt, Kogi State. I was going to the market in company of a commercial motorcyclist whom I boarded his bike. When we got to the checkpoint, A police officer, ordered us to stop and requested to search my bag which I obliged.

While searching through my bag, they found a couple of drugs, precisely 4 tablets of paracetamol, 8 ferrous tablets, 10 folic acid tablets and a tablet of postpill, they ignorantly asked what the postpill tablet is used for, I told them it's a contraceptive, the officer who searched my bag obviously didn't know what a contraceptive is, I told him it is used to prevent pregnancy and next he exclaimed “Guy I don catch u, u dey use am do abortion abi”.

First, I thought it was all a joke, I laughed and started explaining all over again, before I could finish, one of the officers roughly pushed me from behind, held my trouser and ordered me to sit on the bare floor, I obeyed and tried not to be rude since they were all armed, they labeled me a a rapist and a muderer since they concluded contraceptives are used to commit abortion.

After a while, one of the officers came to me acting all friendly and asking me to negotiate with him so he can help me beg his colleagues because if I am taken to the cell at the area command I will spend nothing less than 3 days in custody asides the heavy torture I would receive. At this point, I secretly started an audio and video recording of the events.

While they kept harassing me, a woman who knows me came along and intervened, all her pleadings fell on deaf ears as the officers were insistent on taking nothing less than N100,000. At last they settled for N10,000 after all the harrasment, time waste, torture and emotional trauma. I have uploaded the video and audio recording of the incident as evidence.

I have posted it on the police PCRU twitter page, whatsapp number and even called their numbers. On whatsapp, the message has been read but no significant reply, and whenever I call their hotlines, they keep directing me to the social media pages and they don't reply. I also posted on twitter with the pictures and video evidence, but I haven't been able to garner enough retweets.

I am calling on the I.G of the Police Force, the Kogi State Commisioner of Police, all other relevant bodies and well meaning individuals to help me get justice, retrieve my money and bring this corrupt officers to book as soon as possible.

Pls Front page, I need help... Thanks

138 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Gabaleve(m): 9:31pm On Jul 18, 2020
MODIFIED.... I sincerely appreciate the moderator that helped pushed this to FP... I've posted it on twitter and tagged everyone you all have suggested

HERE IS THE LINK TO THE TWITTER POST

https://twitter.com/DrealGABA/status/1284194013109800960?s=19

Here is the YouTube link to the secret video recording of the incident

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMnEuytR8jJdwIVfCt8Ut1A

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Gabaleve(m): 9:34pm On Jul 18, 2020
Cc: Mynd44 cc: Lalasticlala, front page please

Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Stephenomozzy(m): 9:34pm On Jul 18, 2020
They went "Good cop, bad cop" on you.

So sorry that you had to endure such an ordeal.

The ignorance of men of the forces is baffling and that they always have a field day using their ignorance to extort Nigerians is disheartening.

I hope you get justice!

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Gabaleve(m): 11:08pm On Jul 18, 2020
Stephenomozzy:
They went "Good cop, bad cop" on you.

So sorry that you had to endure such an ordeal.

The ignorance of men of the forces is baffling and that they always have a field day using their ignorance to extort Nigerians is disheartening.

I hope you get justice!

I really hope so too, bro the anguish is still in me.. Whenever I think about it, i still feel pained, that fellow men like me extorted me in broad daylight just because they were all heavily armed with their AK47, even challenging me to misbehave so they can shoot at me... I just had to be calm cos I don't wanna be another statistic.. Dead body no dey do explanation.

133 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by sammysneh(m): 11:39pm On Jul 18, 2020
in warri we go through this everyday
From police extortion to SARS, it's really bad...

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by dannybrasky(m): 1:31am On Jul 19, 2020
Gabaleve:
My name is David, On the 11th of July 2020 at around 11:50am, I was stopped by men of the Nigeria Police Force(Safer highways patrol) at the Ogori/Ageva road, Okene Local Govt, Kogi State. I was going to the market in company of a commercial motorcyclist whom I boarded his bike. When we got to the checkpoint, A police officer, ordered us to stop and requested to search my bag which I obliged.

While searching through my bag, they found a couple of drugs, precisely 4 tablets of paracetamol, 8 ferrous tablets, 10 folic acid tablets and a tablet of postpill, they ignorantly asked what the postpill tablet is used for, I told them it's a contraceptive, the officer who searched my bag obviously didn't know what a contraceptive is, I told him it is used to prevent pregnancy and next he exclaimed “Guy I don catch u, u dey use am do abortion abi”.

First, I thought it was all a joke, I laughed and started explaining all over again, before I could finish, one of the officers roughly pushed me from behind, held my trouser and ordered me to sit on the bare floor, I obeyed and tried not to be rude since they were all armed, they labeled me a a rapist and a muderer since they concluded contraceptives are used to commit abortion.

After a while, one of the officers came to me acting all friendly and asking me to negotiate with him so he can help me beg his colleagues because if I am taken to the cell at the area command I will spend nothing less than 3 days in custody asides the heavy torture I would receive. At this point, I secretly started an audio and video recording of the events.

While they kept harassing me, a woman who knows me came along and intervened, all her pleadings fell on deaf ears as the officers were insistent on taking nothing less than N100,000. At last they settled for N10,000 after all the harrasment, time waste, torture and emotional trauma. I have uploaded the video and audio recording of the incident as evidence.

I have posted it on the police PCRU twitter page, whatsapp number and even called their numbers. On whatsapp, the message has been read but no significant reply, and whenever I call their hotlines, they keep directing me to the social media pages and they don't reply. I also posted on twitter with the pictures and video evidence, but I haven't been able to garner enough retweets.

I am calling on the I.G of the Police Force, the Kogi State Commisioner of Police, all other relevant bodies and well meaning individuals to help me get justice, retrieve my money and bring this corrupt officers to book as soon as possible.

Lalasticlala pls Front page, I need help... Thanks
Go back to Twitter,tag segalink.
You have enough evidence already.

133 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Queenslander(f): 6:20am On Jul 19, 2020
Sorry op for your sad experience, you did good recording the sad events.. I'm sure you will get justice.. It will only take time..

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by uboma(m): 8:36am On Jul 19, 2020
Shame on the Nigerian Police.

They have failed to provide regular enlightenment to its men, hence their primitive behaviour.

How does one, having contraceptives in his possession, be tagged a rapist? Na wa o!

Good that you recorded the incident. Las las, they will loose their jobs when this incident gets to limelight.

cc: Litigator,

Your expert advise is needed please.

22 Likes

Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Olabode971(f): 8:52am On Jul 19, 2020
na dem.... 1st badas$ cops in the world;
#NPF

2 Likes

Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Ishilove: 8:54am On Jul 19, 2020
The Nigerian Police force are a disgrace, apologies to the honest officers on the forum.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Stephenomozzy(m): 9:07am On Jul 19, 2020
Gabaleve:

I just had to be calm cos I don't wanna be another statistic.. Dead body no dey do explanation.

This was very wise and brave bro. Just go easy on yourself... Don't let other people's irresponsibility scar you. Push for the attention of well meaning Nigerians on twitter as someone suggested. Justice will be served.

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by mabea: 9:14am On Jul 19, 2020
Keep on spreading it. You can tag all the popular activists. Their own don do. Wicked lots.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by mandae(m): 9:28am On Jul 19, 2020
Please go back to Twitter, tag @segalink, @yemi fash, @frank Mbah, @acpishaku, and @pcu to that video with a mail cover note, then thank me later.

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Johntemmy(m): 10:15am On Jul 19, 2020
Nigeria my country
there are bad eggs in good eggs
may God save my country

Get your strong and everlasting hardwood at the cheapest rate for any kind of building..
we supply nation wide call or Whatsapp me on 07060795767
Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by EyezofGod120: 10:16am On Jul 19, 2020
grin since SARS don catch me for wetin I no do na since then I no like to dey have any issue with police,, dem no dey get sense,I spent 3days,,those police wey dey dey akure road I dey always follow dem drag shit everytime I dey go akure

1 Like

Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by izuch(m): 10:16am On Jul 19, 2020
Are you sure you can buy those drugs without a prescription?? The Nigeria police force is a total disgrace when compared to world best practices. The bad eggs that ruin the image of the PF are the rank and files and until something is done to reorient and checkmate them it will continue to be a norm and life style which would be passed on intake after intake.

Your video shows nothing bro, just you mounting a bike and zooming off
Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Nobody: 10:16am On Jul 19, 2020
Very bad.

Meanwhile, check my signature if you are a micro investor
Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Dottore: 10:17am On Jul 19, 2020
Ok
Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by neurowale001(m): 10:17am On Jul 19, 2020
J
Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by ForeThinker: 10:17am On Jul 19, 2020
Inside Life
Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by SavageResponse(m): 10:17am On Jul 19, 2020
I understand your pain but I need to ask...

Why are you going around with contraceptives?

Is that not supposed to be the preserve of ladies

11 Likes

Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by adewumiopeyemi(m): 10:18am On Jul 19, 2020
This policemen’s dong no the consequence of what they are doing
They wil be dealt with and reduce there rank
If impossible they may lost there job just because of 10k

1 Like

Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Andrew13: 10:18am On Jul 19, 2020
cheesy na their way b that o, one of them will just approach you, forming good cop.

That's how they arrested me and my friend inside street for not wearing face mask angry and they weren't wearing one self cheesy

Las las they tagged us as yahoo boys, we con pay 10k cry
And most of them are illiterates

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Kobicove(m): 10:18am On Jul 19, 2020
I thought they said police is your friend grin
Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by emzynuel1: 10:18am On Jul 19, 2020
Nah so d tin b everywhere my broda
Naj only God go help pesin
Naija police go even arrest u if u use Nokia battery for Android phone talk say nah breach of contract

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Unbreakable007: 10:18am On Jul 19, 2020
More please
Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Stallion93(m): 10:18am On Jul 19, 2020
Let me put my own
Here it goes: One weekend when i already planned Fornication with 1 bug Yash girl like that, I entered a Bus enroute to the hotel where I’d meet this lady, By the time the bus got to the first Junction, The police men asked all the guys to come down for a routine search, I was calm knowing I’ve been a good boy all my life and nothing incriminating was inside my bag so i obliged, The police man took his time opening every zip(I guess they were eager to collect smth) So he brought out VEGA pills(Sildenafil) and then called his oga, Oga came, said “we don catch am” brought it out in front of everybody in that junction and asked shouting, “Wetin u wan use this thing do?” I said oga no dey shout na, u know wetin dem dey use am do, He said he will slap me if i talk again, he just dragged me by the belt and took me under the bridge where they parked, More 2 police men inside the car, They checked my bag more and saw KY gel(Gel we use to pass Tubes into the human body to ease passage and limit pain) and they said i plant to go and kill someone’s daughter. I told them I’m a medical doctor and tried explaining what those things are for, showed my I.D and all but to no avail. I had to be cool because the condition of their guns look likes smth that can let go off a stray bullet with any little movement, Rusts everywhere. So all of them entered the car(Work dan close for that day) drive me to their station close by, then they said do i know that Taking all this drugs can kill me, that their job is to make sure nobody kills me and I don’t kill myself, after so much talk and everything, they demanded 100k but i later gave them 5k at the end. I just waka comot continue my journey to the Hotel, Bought another Vega and i use that vex Finish that girl yash that day. Nigerian police sha is a disgrace, would have missed my appointment that day just because of nothing

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by BarrElChapo(m): 10:19am On Jul 19, 2020
OP go to Twitter and tag @segalink with all these your evidence.. you'll surely get justice..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by loadedvibes: 10:19am On Jul 19, 2020
The Nigeria condition cannot be helped. Meanwhile the Nigeria FRSC are on Twitter praising their men for beating up an unarmed civilian

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by sapientia(m): 10:19am On Jul 19, 2020
If IGP and CPs do not get a cut from all these

These would have stopped

It simple

15 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Man Injured By Policemen In Lagos For Driving Through Bank's Park / Pictures Of Demolished Baby Factory Building In Aba / Man Mistaken For Sapele Oghenek Journalist Attacked & Stripped Unclad In Delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.