Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,970 members, 7,810,684 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:18 PM

Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience (26221 Views)

Nairalander Gets Refunded And Compensated After Police Extortion / Nigerians Stand Against Illegal Police Search In Mumbai, India (Photos) / Girl Thrown Out Of Pool Party, Unclad, For Resisting Sexual Harassment In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Gabaleve(m): 1:33pm On Jul 19, 2020
clockwisereport:
@gabaleve, go back to Twitter. Tag segalink, national human rights commission, channels TV, don jazzy, Kate hinshaw, TVC news.... in fact, tag all the taggables

Na so one idiot dip his dirty hands into my pocket and collected my 1k in Ibagwa-ani

Once dem don dey with the Ak47.. Na dem b god... No vex fr the 1k bro.. We go weed all of dem out one by one.... I will tag all the people u mentioned.. Thanks

https://twitter.com/DrealGABA/status/1284194013109800960?s=19
Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Gabaleve(m): 1:39pm On Jul 19, 2020
sportFX:
OP, just of of curiosity, since you're not female, why are you going about with contraceptives? It could actually raise suspicions since our police are not very educated, if you bought them for your girlfriend, keep them at home.

Sorry about your experience

Yes I actually bought it for my gf, in the end, i didn't need it, so I left it in my bag.. I actually showed them and told them its a contraceptive, they didn't even know what it was. Na my explanation dem turn upside down.. And afterwards I was was pushed, shoved, made to sit on d floor like an armed robber... I was even taunted to complain or stand up so they'll fire. I just had to be gentle so i can record d whole event
Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Gabaleve(m): 1:44pm On Jul 19, 2020
zedegit:

Op, I believe you have a credible case especially when backed with the audio. Avoid meeting anyone that schedules a meeting here. Their colleagues are around, lurking about like chimpanzees.

I wish someone could suggest a Twitter influencer. I want justice to be done.

Naija police are official rogues in uniform. Upon all the cashout during covid 19.

Thanks bro
The video evidence already speaks for itself
I just hope this will serve as deterrent to other errant police officers
Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Gabaleve(m): 1:46pm On Jul 19, 2020
ehmmy11:

tell us how we can find the video on twitter let's help you retweet and tag relevant person's

Thanks bro.. I'd really really appreciate that
Here's the link

Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Gabaleve(m): 1:53pm On Jul 19, 2020
ennon92:
Sorry for ur ordeal bro... I'm just curious abt how u were able to video the scene without the awareness the black thieves

I have a secret video recorder app on my phone
It records without the flashlight on, also without any form of notification or u can choose to use a decoy icon for notification. During and after recording, ur video is encrypted, it can't be found in your gallery, only u can choose where you want the video hidden. U can also choose the video quality. Good thing is that it keeps recording even when your phone is in idle mode, on lock or when the back light is off.. U can also choose which of the camera u want to use, if u would prefer the front or back camera.

1 Like

Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Gabaleve(m): 1:55pm On Jul 19, 2020
Eillyeillz:

Was going to tell him this, Would have helped trend it, but my account got suspended and i'm still trying to get it back.

Yes I've tagged @segalink, I've even messaged him directly but no replies yet
Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by libertyfather(m): 2:00pm On Jul 19, 2020
Gabaleve:
My name is David, On the 11th of July 2020 at around 11:50am, I was stopped by men of the Nigeria Police Force(Safer highways patrol) at the Ogori/Ageva road, Okene Local Govt, Kogi State. I was going to the market in company of a commercial motorcyclist whom I boarded his bike. When we got to the checkpoint, A police officer, ordered us to stop and requested to search my bag which I obliged.

While searching through my bag, they found a couple of drugs, precisely 4 tablets of paracetamol, 8 ferrous tablets, 10 folic acid tablets and a tablet of postpill, they ignorantly asked what the postpill tablet is used for, I told them it's a contraceptive, the officer who searched my bag obviously didn't know what a contraceptive is, I told him it is used to prevent pregnancy and next he exclaimed “Guy I don catch u, u dey use am do abortion abi”.

First, I thought it was all a joke, I laughed and started explaining all over again, before I could finish, one of the officers roughly pushed me from behind, held my trouser and ordered me to sit on the bare floor, I obeyed and tried not to be rude since they were all armed, they labeled me a a rapist and a muderer since they concluded contraceptives are used to commit abortion.

After a while, one of the officers came to me acting all friendly and asking me to negotiate with him so he can help me beg his colleagues because if I am taken to the cell at the area command I will spend nothing less than 3 days in custody asides the heavy torture I would receive. At this point, I secretly started an audio and video recording of the events.

While they kept harassing me, a woman who knows me came along and intervened, all her pleadings fell on deaf ears as the officers were insistent on taking nothing less than N100,000. At last they settled for N10,000 after all the harrasment, time waste, torture and emotional trauma. I have uploaded the video and audio recording of the incident as evidence.

I have posted it on the police PCRU twitter page, whatsapp number and even called their numbers. On whatsapp, the message has been read but no significant reply, and whenever I call their hotlines, they keep directing me to the social media pages and they don't reply. I also posted on twitter with the pictures and video evidence, but I haven't been able to garner enough retweets.

I am calling on the I.G of the Police Force, the Kogi State Commisioner of Police, all other relevant bodies and well meaning individuals to help me get justice, retrieve my money and bring this corrupt officers to book as soon as possible.

Pls Front page, I need help... Thanks

My brother lemme give a dude on fbook friend him msg him thus is his kind of case he likes you even hv a video to 1000% chance this guy will take it up Gwamnishu Emefiena Harrison this is a way forward...follow him and testify
Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Gabaleve(m): 2:05pm On Jul 19, 2020
vallyboi:
Come to warri in Delta state...theirs is worst

Once you are dressed well, fresh, tall, handsome, ..you are labelled a yahoo boy

Can still recall ...once ...when i entered Keke ..they stop me and checked me ..and they found nothing ...then they requested for my phone ..i gave them ..they requested for the password..i asked what for ...they said i should provide the password or face the consequences

I stood my ground and said No ..it's my privacy ....the next thing was a hot slap from one of them

I got angry and pushed the guy ...then one of them shouted am a criminal ...like play like play ..them handcuffed Me join their hilux ....carry me to their station and accused me that I stole the phone when their Oga saw me ....

Chai

Oga said write statement after writing statement..Oga said I should produce the receipt of the phone to show ownership , if not the phone will be seized

Mehn

I searched the entire house for receipt ..didn't see

Went back there the next day ..and told the Oga I couldn't find the receipt..Oga said am a criminal

He said I should meet one of the constable there ..and the guy told me to bring 10k for the fone ...mehn ..las las 2k ended everything

These black guys on uniforms are hoodlums

Bros abeg dey try calm down, dem no dey fight who carry gun o.. Best thing is to stay calm and look for ways to gather evidence... Imagine say na one mad officer you push like dat, next thing na to fire, after every every, dem go say u be criminal and say u try disarm officer, and e go shock u say DPO go support im boys.... Bros dead body no dey write statement o

2 Likes

Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Gabaleve(m): 2:08pm On Jul 19, 2020
HandsomeBlack:
So it means if you were really a rapist, they would have freed you after a bribe of 10k? This is how criminals go scot-free and crime continue to multiply in the society.

You were wise not to drag issues with them. Unfortunately many have lost their lives to unjust police brutality.

Na d country wey we find ourselves b dis o
Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Gabaleve(m): 2:12pm On Jul 19, 2020
Seeker091:
Tag Segalink then again upload your ordeal on his Twitter page under his comment section too.

Thanks sir
I'll do that ASAP

Here's the twitter link to the post

Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Gabaleve(m): 2:16pm On Jul 19, 2020
LEOSIRSIR:
what is your twitter handle?
Tag @segalink and watch how your money will be refunded

Thanks, I did that already
@DrealGABA is my twitter handle
Here's the link to the twitter post https://twitter.com/DrealGABA/status/1284194013109800960?s=19

Your retweet will do me a lot of good. Thanks
Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jul 19, 2020
Police people in Nigeria are scary as hell, the way they carry their guns Ak47 about is scary, I hate to see guns in real life, I wish the police in Nigeria can be changed to stop displaying and wielding their firearms in public, they should stuck them underneath their clothes and stop scaring the public! I also had a similar encounter with SARS officials, I was in school then, I went to this shop to charge my phone cos there isn't electricity around and It was a betting shop, I was there then SARS men about 4 was patrolling then stopped there, looked at me and told me I was underaged? Omo if u look at me with d height and bear bear I'm carrying if I tell I'm 22 u won't believe, so they grabbed me into the back sit of d police hilux and one dropped d gun on his laps and they zoomed off, as we were going I kept begging them, they kept asking me how old I am I told them I'm 22, after reaching where I don't know the oga told me to come down and be a good boy! Omo that day I would never 4get it aswear, that bet shop I never smell dat area again oo!! If u see SARS or police I go just follow anoda route go oo, I no want their trouble abeg!

2 Likes

Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Gabaleve(m): 2:18pm On Jul 19, 2020
Boyolity:
You should have put your twitter handle, some of us can at least help retweet

Am sorry i skipped that
@DrealGABA is my twitter handle
Here's a link to the twitter post
Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jul 19, 2020
Police people in Nigeria are scary as hell, the way they carry their guns Ak47 about is scary, I hate to see guns in real life, I wish the police in Nigeria can be changed to stop displaying and wielding their firearms in public, they should stuck them underneath their clothes and stop scaring the public! I also had a similar encounter with SARS officials, I was in school then, I went to this shop to charge my phone cos there isn't electricity around and It was a betting shop, I was there then SARS men about 4 was patrolling then stopped there, looked at me and told me I was underaged? Omo if u look at me with d height and bear bear I'm carrying if I tell I'm 22 u won't believe, so they grabbed me into the back sit of d police hilux and one dropped d gun on his laps and they zoomed off, as we were going I kept begging them, they kept asking me how old I am I told them I'm 22 after reaching where I don't know the oga told me to come down and be a good boy! Omo that day I would never 4get it aswear, that bet shop I never smell dat area again oo!! If u see SARS or police I go just follow anoda route go oo, I no want their trouble abeg!
Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jul 19, 2020
Stallion93:
Let me put my own
Here it goes: One weekend when i already planned Fornication with 1 bug Yash girl like that, I entered a Bus enroute to the hotel where I’d meet this lady, By the time the bus got to the first Junction, The police men asked all the guys to come down for a routine search, I was calm knowing I’ve been a good boy all my life and nothing incriminating was inside my bag so i obliged, The police man took his time opening every zip(I guess they were eager to collect smth) So he brought out VEGA pills(Sildenafil) and then called his oga, Oga came, said “we don catch am” brought it out in front of everybody in that junction and asked shouting, “Wetin u wan use this thing do?” I said oga no dey shout na, u know wetin dem dey use am do, He said he will slap me if i talk again, he just dragged me by the belt and took me under the bridge where they parked, More 2 police men inside the car, They checked my bag more and saw KY gel(Gel we use to pass Tubes into the human body to ease passage and limit pain) and they said i plant to go and kill someone’s daughter. I told them I’m a medical doctor and tried explaining what those things are for, showed my I.D and all but to no avail. I had to be cool because the condition of their guns look likes smth that can let go off a stray bullet with any little movement, Rusts everywhere. So all of them entered the car(Work dan close for that day) drive me to their station close by, then they said do i know that Taking all this drugs can kill me, that their job is to make sure nobody kills me and I don’t kill myself, after so much talk and everything, they demanded 100k but i later gave them 5k at the end. I just waka comot continue my journey to the Hotel, Bought another Vega and i use that vex Finish that girl yash that day. Nigerian police sha is a disgrace, would have missed my appointment that day just because of nothing

Omo, finally u no get sense aswear, so na babe yansh wey u dey tank God say u no miss! U won't make heaven make I clean ur name! grin grin
Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Gabaleve(m): 2:27pm On Jul 19, 2020
magicminister:

I have friends that can help you. The challenge they face is that once people get their money, they do not agree to show up in court and testify against those officers! Will you be willing to testify against those officers?

Its not really about the money, as long as there's life, more money will come, its just painful that people go about their legal hustle just to put meal on the table and some armed uniform men rob u in pure daylight for nothing... If appearing in court to testify will serve me justice, i don't mind. Am ready.. All this has to stop.

1 Like

Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jul 19, 2020
Buh op that recording and video wey u do na big risk ooo, hmm if them catch u eh ur own na Sowie! No try I'm oo! No argue with dem SARS, police or Army dem! If u tell u roll for ground do I'm, live to tell d story no go dey form hard man 4 dem ooo! Cos las las na person wey dey alive go come upload the kin video wey u record!
Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jul 19, 2020
Buh op that recording and video wey u do na big risk ooo, hmm if them catch u eh ur own na Sowie! No try I'm oo! No argue with dem SARS, police or Army dem! If u tell u roll for ground do I'm, live to tell d story no go dey form hard man 4 dem ooo! Cos las las na person wey dey alive go come upload the kin video wey u record!
Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jul 19, 2020
SavageResponse:
I understand your pain but I need to ask...

Why are you going around with contraceptives?

Is that not supposed to be the preserve of ladies
how is that your business? Last month, when I went to the shoprite I bought postinor 2 for my girlfriend. So if police had seen me with it they would have tagged me a rapist and you would have asked me what I was doing with it?

1 Like

Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Gabaleve(m): 2:30pm On Jul 19, 2020
molbic:
if you can come to human rights radio in Abuja or call this number on week days from 8 am to 10 the number 09099887700 call the number and explained what happened you will get Justice I bet you

Thanks bro
I will call the number, meanwhile here's the link to the twitter post
Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Nobody: 2:32pm On Jul 19, 2020
Gabaleve:

Bros abeg dey try calm down, dem no dey fight who carry gun o.. Best thing is to stay calm and look for ways to gather evidence... Imagine say na one mad officer you push like dat, next thing na to fire, after every every, dem go say u be criminal and say u try disarm officer, and e go shock u say DPO go support im boys.... Bros dead body no dey write statement o

Leave I'm Nigerians are part of d problem! How u go dey fight with person wey carry gun, u think say here na US! Omo avoid trouble ooo like plague en get luck say d police man dey in good mood, if not u by now u 4 dey 6ft dey cry and las las the police man no go go jail or only say dem go remove I'm 4rm police force buh u ma don go!
Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Gabaleve(m): 2:34pm On Jul 19, 2020
Kelvinprinzyy:
Call them via this 0805 700 0001
I did already
They picked up the call on time and gave me a whatsapp number to send my complaint and evidence to.. I did and up till now, no response, meanwhile the message shows the two blue ticks which means it has been read. I don't know why they have failed to reply.
Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Nobody: 2:38pm On Jul 19, 2020
SavageResponse:
I understand your pain but I need to ask...

Why are you going around with contraceptives?

Is that not supposed to be the preserve of ladies

Ask I'm oo, I no knw wetin dis op dey do with female products, Postinor, are u a woman! Abi na female wey dey front as man for NL, biko if ur babe want Postinor give her money to go and get it herself or go t d hospital Mr. Man!
This op na just female doctor wey he dey handle everything na abortive drugs u dey always buy 4 supermarket, the police may actually be right in arresting u in d first place and calling u a abortionist! Cos wat d heck would u be doing with them?
Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Zannx(m): 2:39pm On Jul 19, 2020
Gabaleve:

I did already
They picked up the call on time and gave me a whatsapp number to send my complaint and evidence to.. I did and up till now, no response, meanwhile the message shows the two blue ticks which means it has been read. I don't know why they have failed to reply.

chap let the matter die..
we've all had worst
life is an experience..life goes on
Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Gabaleve(m): 2:41pm On Jul 19, 2020
Kelvinprinzyy:
This was when I was assaulted.

Did the DPO actually call you?
Cos I've actually messaged them directly on twitter but no replies yet
Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Gabaleve(m): 2:45pm On Jul 19, 2020
onyxo76:
sorry bro, but you for tell them say that post pulpill na for HIV, that you just dey come from clinic. they go leave you sharp sharp...na so one stop me just after lockdown, i tell the chap say i just dey come from isolation centre where i go give my relative some pocket money, if you see the way the police dismiss me ,like say i carry bomb.

Bros na so honesty take put me fr wahala so
Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Gabaleve(m): 2:49pm On Jul 19, 2020
libertyfather:

My brother lemme give a dude on fbook friend him msg him thus is his kind of case he likes you even hv a video to 1000% chance this guy will take it up Gwamnishu Emefiena Harrison this is a way forward...follow him and testify

Thanks bro
I'd really appreciate that
Here's the link to the twitter post
Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by edoairways: 3:00pm On Jul 19, 2020
litigator:

Wow! This is serious and I empathize with you.

Some bad eggs in the Nigeria Police Force will never learn. They keep soiling the name of the force with their greed and unethical behaviour.

This is no longer news, but there are laws in this country and we must ensure those laws are implemented one way or another.

However, I must commend your intellect. You have done a deligent job. It's obvious you were unnecessarily extorted and humiliated, which ought not to be the case.

From your story, it appears you are not pained about the funds those unscrupulous elements fraudulently obtained from you per say, but you are pained by the fact that they humiliated you and extorted you for no just cause.

Tag me @ mr_powei, @ segalink, @malachy_odo1, and @onlinebar.

We will see what we can do to ensure you get justice.

Sanity will return to the system when we learn to fight for our right and ensure justice is done.

I commend your effort.

But it's quite funny that members of the Nigeria Police mandated to investigate crime and criminalities don't know the difference between contraceptive and abortion drugs. Na wah.

Yahooze self dey NPF and na there e for many pass. cheesy

The govt won't weed them out for us. Since we are their employer and our taxes pay their salaries, we must ensure we sanitize the system by ourself and with our own hands.

Are you sure they are actually weed from the system? Although the video isn't clear, those police officers act like they have backup
Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Mykel51(m): 3:06pm On Jul 19, 2020
Gabaleve:
My name is David, On the 11th of July 2020 at around 11:50am, I was stopped by men of the Nigeria Police Force(Safer highways patrol) at the Ogori/Ageva road, Okene Local Govt, Kogi State. I was going to the market in company of a commercial motorcyclist whom I boarded his bike. When we got to the checkpoint, A police officer, ordered us to stop and requested to search my bag which I obliged.

While searching through my bag, they found a couple of drugs, precisely 4 tablets of paracetamol, 8 ferrous tablets, 10 folic acid tablets and a tablet of postpill, they ignorantly asked what the postpill tablet is used for, I told them it's a contraceptive, the officer who searched my bag obviously didn't know what a contraceptive is, I told him it is used to prevent pregnancy and next he exclaimed “Guy I don catch u, u dey use am do abortion abi”.

First, I thought it was all a joke, I laughed and started explaining all over again, before I could finish, one of the officers roughly pushed me from behind, held my trouser and ordered me to sit on the bare floor, I obeyed and tried not to be rude since they were all armed, they labeled me a a rapist and a muderer since they concluded contraceptives are used to commit abortion.

After a while, one of the officers came to me acting all friendly and asking me to negotiate with him so he can help me beg his colleagues because if I am taken to the cell at the area command I will spend nothing less than 3 days in custody asides the heavy torture I would receive. At this point, I secretly started an audio and video recording of the events.

While they kept harassing me, a woman who knows me came along and intervened, all her pleadings fell on deaf ears as the officers were insistent on taking nothing less than N100,000. At last they settled for N10,000 after all the harrasment, time waste, torture and emotional trauma. I have uploaded the video and audio recording of the incident as evidence.

I have posted it on the police PCRU twitter page, whatsapp number and even called their numbers. On whatsapp, the message has been read but no significant reply, and whenever I call their hotlines, they keep directing me to the social media pages and they don't reply. I also posted on twitter with the pictures and video evidence, but I haven't been able to garner enough retweets.

I am calling on the I.G of the Police Force, the Kogi State Commisioner of Police, all other relevant bodies and well meaning individuals to help me get justice, retrieve my money and bring this corrupt officers to book as soon as possible.

Pls Front page, I need help... Thanks

Send all to Segalink, copy ruggedman on Twitter ASAP...
Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Gabaleve(m): 3:08pm On Jul 19, 2020
Heathrow44:

Na on code dem dey record that kind thing.. If dem know, sorry for your phone, infact sorry for your life
Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Gabaleve(m): 3:20pm On Jul 19, 2020
Heathrow44:

Ask I'm oo, I no knw wetin dis op dey do with female products, Postinor, are u a woman! Abi na female wey dey front as man for NL, biko if ur babe want Postinor give her money to go and get it herself or go t d hospital Mr. Man!
This op na just female doctor wey he dey handle everything na abortive drugs u dey always buy 4 supermarket, the police may actually be right in arresting u in d first place and calling u a abortionist! Cos wat d heck would u be doing with them?

How old are u?
See I no fit follow u argue, just go and read more
Read very well, read hard
Re: Illegal Police Extortion And Harassment : A Nairalander's Experience by Gabaleve(m): 3:24pm On Jul 19, 2020
Zannx:

chap let the matter die..
we've all had worst
life is an experience..life goes on

If i let it die, u or any member of your family might be the next to encounter such. They might not be as lucky as I was. Shebi my own na only 10k, ur own fit b all d money wey dey ur account.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Man Hides N80M Indian Hemp Inside Bibles, Fruits And Bags In Lagos / Operation Crush: 25 Cultists Arrested In Lagos (Photo) / 16 Gang Members On Revenge Mission Arrested, Paraded In Kwara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.