Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,698 members, 7,823,963 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:19 PM

My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason (40078 Views)

My Experience While Hunting For Job / My Experience Working As A Bet9ja Cashier / See Twelve Things You Must Experience While Going For The Nigerian Military Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by xandy84: 2:35pm On Aug 04, 2020
God bless you, your family, and your hustle. You took the word out of my mouth. I will be a little detailed. There is nothing you can compare to skill to in Naija, US, UK, or any other country. Young people need to learn sustainable skills and not just jump from one hustle to another cos those skills are not transferable and you keep starting all over and the cycle continues. I remember when I left Naija in 2014. I did warehouse labor and wanted to die and I hate group-home work with passion and that is a no go area for me. I decided I needed skill and concludes truck mechanic is what I want. I went to a community college close to my house and acquire a skill and that was the best decision of my life. Now only did I work as a fleet technician with Coca-cola with good pay and benefits but also an Adjunct Professor with a technical school close my place. Hustle can only take you but so far but the answer to poverty and joblessness is SKILL, SKILL.

Redman44:

Bro, I thank God for your life. However, I think you should apprentice yourself to a Plumber, Painter or Carpenter and learn some skills from them. If you humble yourself and apprentice yourself to any of them, they will take you along to sites and they will pay you some stipend everyday for being their assistant. If you learn quickly, you can start doing your own private jobs when you are free. Carrying pans of cement and sand etc is a very difficult job. You have to be extra strong to survive on jobs like that. Plumbing, Painting and Carpentry bring in more money if you are gifted in those areas. Cheers.

8 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Segzy19: 2:35pm On Aug 04, 2020
Lucky you...

But Bros, you think say na 'guy' or 'mind' dem dey carry do that kain work? U for don load correct bread and beans or fufu with pure water like 2 (still keep like at least 5 pure water for reserve). Ehen! With that kain preparation, you go survive that day...

What happened was that, probably you had low level of energy as your glucose depleted rapidly (on a low reserve) and you became tired or you were dehydrated and you started getting weak.

Thank God for you. Many have died like that at construction sites...

6 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by stagger: 2:35pm On Aug 04, 2020
MrOjay1:
Last friday evening, my friend in the hood called me on phone to inform me of a job opening in an ongoing construction site somewhere around Agbara (Lagos).

He told me the pay is 2,300 per day depending on if you were able to finish the day's job.

I told him i was interested (no choice for a broke man) and asked him when we are to leave for the place. He said we'll leave for Agbara the next day early in the morning to get there on time and start with others.

'No wahala', I said.

We set off the next morning and got there before 7 or thereabouts. When the supervisor saw me said, 'oboy as you dey lenge lenge (slim) like this, you sure say you go fit do this kind work so??'

I told him i could. Shey no be my mates dey do am?

I started the work which was carrying mixed concrete and sand up into the second floor of the building.

The work no easy o. I wan die true to God but i just chinned up and continued. I worked like this till afternoon.

My body was telling me to stop but i continued being that i wanted my full pay for the day then something happened.

As i was climbing up the scaffolded stairs, my limbs had become weak and my eyes dazed, i had no energy left again to climb up to the second floor so while trying to muster up energy as i climbed, I mis-stepped my footings and was about falling off the stairs down to the ground laden with bamboo, nails, stones and co far below but was saved by the hand of another worker coming up the stairs behind me. He had already noticed my fatigue and signs of faint feeling.

My headpan had already crashed down the ground.

I wonder what would have happened to me. Probably would have died.

The supervisor heard of it and was furious, lambasting me saying,' shebi i tell you say you no fit do this work? Na so you for put me for trouble.Oya dey go house now now, he said as he put his hands in his pocket and brought out 1400 as my payment.

I protested and demanded my full payment but he wasn't listening and was threatening to call the police.

I left the place, went home and used half the money to treat the sprain and pains i was feeling all over my body.

Thank God for your life oo. You for just die like that.
Even if you made it to the end of the day, you would not have been able to step out of your house the next day.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Humanoid01(m): 2:36pm On Aug 04, 2020
Nicepoker:
You are a lazy dude. That's all I can say.
If you are a boss, then I really pity those working under you.

12 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Excuses: 2:37pm On Aug 04, 2020
MrOjay1:
Last friday evening, my friend in the hood called me on phone to inform me of a job opening in an ongoing construction site somewhere around Agbara (Lagos).

He told me the pay is 2,300 per day depending on if you were able to finish the day's job.

I told him i was interested (no choice for a broke man) and asked him when we are to leave for the place. He said we'll leave for Agbara the next day early in the morning to get there on time and start with others.

'No wahala', I said.

We set off the next morning and got there before 7 or thereabouts. When the supervisor saw me said, 'oboy as you dey lenge lenge (slim) like this, you sure say you go fit do this kind work so??'

I started the work which was carrying mixed concrete and sand up into the second floor of the building.

The work no easy o. I wan die true to God but i just chinned up and continued. I worked like this till afternoon.

My body was telling me to stop but i continued being that i wanted my full pay for the day then something happened.

As i was climbing up the scaffolded stairs, my limbs had become weak and my eyes dazed, i had no energy left again to climb up to the second floor so while trying to muster up energy as i climbed, I mis-stepped my footings and was about falling off the stairs down to the ground laden with bamboo, nails, stones and co far below but was saved by the hand of another worker coming up the stairs behind me. He had already noticed my fatigue and signs of faint feeling.

The supervisor heard of it and was furious, lambasting me saying,' shebi i tell you say you no fit do this work? Na so you for put me for trouble.Oya dey go house now now, he said as he put his hands in his pocket and brought out 1400 as my payment.

I protested and demanded my full payment but he wasn't listening and was threatening to call the police.

I left the place, went home and used half the money to treat the sprain and pains i was feeling all over my body.

Am sorry for all that but i gotta tell ya,u relieved me here of my own fatigue as am seriously laughing..

U were suppose to take at least Tin peak milk..sorry jare..
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by BabaIbo: 2:40pm On Aug 04, 2020
During my humble beginnings, I worked in a firm were paving stones are produced...
The job is to rearrange it in an orderly way different from the way the machine set it.
I completed the job but it wasn't easy o, that was when I realized that question supervisors used to ask, shey u fit do am...

11 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Jh0wsef(m): 2:40pm On Aug 04, 2020
ednut1:
check your dm.
Boss. abeg extend your blessings to me o

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by mariahAngel(f): 2:41pm On Aug 04, 2020
CuteMercury:
According to the lyrics from kiss daniel. Nor go dey do pass yourself. Bro thank GOD for your life. please do not allow circumstances of life to make you endanger your life, our country has forced a lot of old men and women into doing the same job that almost got you killed and in the long run, these old people died as a result of hard labour. most NIGERIANS that died at the age of 60 to 70 years of age due to health complications, actually died due to years of stress and hard labour, walking in the sun, no electricity, no balance diets, no Excercise and yet people be shouting APC, PDP!!! last last na the common man dey suffer and these common man has the power to vote for change and yet they sell their rights for rice, oil, beans during eletion. NIGERIANS are the worst set of people on earth when it comes to choosing of leaders.

You were making a whole lot of sense, until you got to the last part.
Guy, if you were truly a Nigerian with common sense, you'd know election is never free and fair in this country.

6 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Grandest(m): 2:41pm On Aug 04, 2020
Ishilove:
N1,400 for back breaking work? It is not even enough for tfare these days.

God, what a country where the divide between the rich and poor is as wide as the Atlantic ocean, and yet the youths come to the social media to support and fight themselves over their oppressors. Our minds have really been spiritually caged in this country, which is why we act like zombies in the face of severe hardship.
As in eh.. I just tire for this country... I'm done done done with this country!

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Nobody: 2:42pm On Aug 04, 2020
MrOjay1 I feel for you.

Hang in there and don't lose hope. There's always light at the end of the tunnel.

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Samabu07(m): 2:42pm On Aug 04, 2020
maxkia:
Send me a mail on Maxwellkia@gmail.com. Let’s see what I can do to help . We all need a helping hand. ✌️
You're a good guy. God bless you!

2 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Zimri(m): 2:43pm On Aug 04, 2020
Gibsonho:
Thank God for your life bro.
I also did the work in 200l. I'm the last born of my parents, I hate requesting for money from them so I decided to hustle and pay my bills myself, 5 people including myself offloaded 600 bags of cement,. I was payed #2000 that day, for 3days I could not turn my neck.

What?? shocked

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by OriOko88(m): 2:45pm On Aug 04, 2020
We still lack technology in Africa. Is that how oyinbo masons carry concrete in their heads to third, fourth, fifth, sixth to 10th floor of those skyscrapers we see on TV I seriously doubt. Africa still basking in mediocrity in this 21st century. What happens to cranes technology in transporting concrete to floors undecided undecided undecided

6 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Zenithpeak(m): 2:45pm On Aug 04, 2020
CuteMercury:
According to the lyrics from kiss daniel. Nor go dey do pass yourself. Bro thank GOD for your life. please do not allow circumstances of life to make you endanger your life, our country has forced a lot of old men and women into doing the same job that almost got you killed and in the long run, these old people died as a result of hard labour. most NIGERIANS that died at the age of 60 to 70 years of age due to health complications, actually died due to years of stress and hard labour, walking in the sun, no electricity, no balance diets, no Excercise and yet people be shouting APC, PDP!!! last last na the common man dey suffer and these common man has the power to vote for change and yet they sell their rights for rice, oil, beans during eletion. NIGERIANS are the worst set of people on earth when it comes to choosing of leaders.

The problem with Nigerians is that, our low IQ is factory fitted. You know when people are mumu by default, they will be repeating the same mistake over and over again.

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by DisLifeSha: 2:49pm On Aug 04, 2020
Na waiten you dey talk? Na Nigerians dey vote?
You nor know of rigging
CuteMercury:
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by maisauki: 2:50pm On Aug 04, 2020
@MrOjay1
Jus continue to dey hustle and pray, one day one day you'll have a breakthrough

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by NamelessOGBENI(m): 2:50pm On Aug 04, 2020
Some of us were expecting 'NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCE' as a 'FREEMASON'

But it's all good
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by 10kgod(m): 2:50pm On Aug 04, 2020
uzucuzu1:

WhatsApp me if you are ready to work, let's see if I can help out in a way, 08167938324

Bro, Can I also whatsapp you?

I'm asking for permission before I do it.
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by anyasiemmanuel(m): 2:51pm On Aug 04, 2020
This story na cool up lies. I know when someone is saying the truth about site 2k jobs

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by victorazyvictor(m): 2:51pm On Aug 04, 2020
MrOjay1:

'No wahala', I said.

grin grin grin
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by 10kgod(m): 2:54pm On Aug 04, 2020
MrOjay1:

'No wahala', I said.

Can you help me with this Job? I think I think I can survive This kind of menial job.
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Temmylee01(m): 2:55pm On Aug 04, 2020
Taywon:
Lol....

Bro no be every job u fit chuk head ooo.... Even as a professional you look b4 u leap to avoid stories dat touch....

My guy wey try diz labourer work ontop say hin broke was admitted for 3 days in the hospital... I just dey laugh am... Cus e no easy but man gats dey carefull
lauf yaff kill me
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by zakkxx: 2:55pm On Aug 04, 2020
Hahahahaha I have their b4 e no easy wetin shok
Me that year for kaduna as u wan faint u go see
Women they doam no shaking. Oboy women strong ooo

3 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Slynation(m): 2:57pm On Aug 04, 2020
Eya... I can fully relate to this, Nwoke ni ife...!!
I once did something like this when I needed money so badly in 2012 at Barnawa Kaduna...But mine was grinding of broken blocks manually with a heavy metal to be remoulded (this was by far the hardest one which I didn't even last up to 20mins, I even left the money and my guys and ran home with the excuse of lemme go and piss) grin and also loading and offloading of blocks which is staked at #2 altogether for 6 inches block and #4 for loading and offloading of 9 inches blocks.... Omo that work no easy shaah, I know the kinda injuries I sustained during those days.... God...!! Give us the grace to make this money legitimately

6 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by okey4reel(m): 3:01pm On Aug 04, 2020
MrOjay1:

'No wahala', I said.

Bro can u link me to this place abeg, I broke presently as a result of losing my job because of this pandemic

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by preciousose(m): 3:02pm On Aug 04, 2020
Justright34:
My brother life is not the bed of roses

Just learn to take a walk if you can't cop

EARN UP TO N3000 DAILY FOR FREE
By taking survey Ferrer Create topics

Withdraw to your bank account directly
Check my signature for link
I have sent you a message to your mail. Please explain the process for me.
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Houston17(m): 3:04pm On Aug 04, 2020
@Op sorry about your experiences. Some guys comments just got me laughing hard. That guy wey carry bags of cement, u try oo..

I started this kind of work when I was in Junior Secondary School (was around 12-14 years of age) as a result of hardship while growing up. The first day I went, chaiiii, no be here ooooo. I almost died. I stayed till the end of work that day with a pay of #1000. That day ehn, I slept from 6pm in the evening till 8am the following day and the kind pain I experienced no be here. Infact, I bedwet join that day.

However, after a week I resumed back and my body adapted to it subsequently. It is because its your first time. Make God bless your hustle bro.

6 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by naijasexy3: 3:05pm On Aug 04, 2020
MrOjay1:
Last friday evening, my friend in the hood called me on phone to inform me of a job opening in an ongoing construction site somewhere around Agbara (Lagos.

Hello,

I read this and my heart went out to you! So glad you weren’t hurt. If I may, I’d like to help. Shoot me a message!!

5 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Houston17(m): 3:07pm On Aug 04, 2020
zakkxx:
Hahahahaha I have their b4 e no easy wetin shok
Me that year for kaduna as u wan faint u go see
Women they doam no shaking. Oboy women strong ooo

Hmm, my brother, even if dem no strong, dem go ghas be strong cos kids dey at home to feed and trust me, kids no wan hear say situation dey somehow.

Some of our parents have to go through all these and all sort of insults to bring food to the table. May God bless them for us, open doors for us so we can repay dem wella.

6 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Grandest(m): 3:09pm On Aug 04, 2020
Slynation:
Eya... I can fully relate to this, Nwoke ni ife...!!
I once did something like this when I needed money so badly in 2012 at Barnawa Kaduna...But mine was grinding of broken blocks manually with a heavy metal to be remoulded (this was by far the hardest one which I didn't even last up to 20mins, I even left the money and my guys and ran home with the excuse of lemme go and piss) grin and also loading and offloading of blocks which is staked at #2 altogether for 6 inches block and #4 for loading and offloading of 9 inches blocks.... Omo that work no easy shaah, I know the kinda injuries I sustained during those days.... God...!! Give us the grace to make this money legitimately
Amen bro..

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Barryseal: 3:10pm On Aug 04, 2020
I did this back in the days as an alter boy. I recalled the parish priest instructed us to cast a pillar in the alter section and attendance was mandatory.
O boy, I couldn't finish turning one bag of cement mixed concrete with severe back and neck pain. The day got worse when a 10 inch steel pipe lost balance and crashed on my head. I saw my young life flash before my very eyes.

Till date, I respect any labourer and don't fail to tip them after working for me. I don't really understand how their body survive the punishment under harsh weather conditions.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Job Winning CV...(Updated) / What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? / Ecobank Graduate Trainee 2021

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.