Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,093 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:07 AM

My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason - Jobs/Vacancies (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason (40050 Views)

My Experience While Hunting For Job / My Experience Working As A Bet9ja Cashier / See Twelve Things You Must Experience While Going For The Nigerian Military Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by GamalNasser: 4:01pm On Aug 04, 2020
I have read this same story somewhere along time ago

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Haywhymido(m): 4:01pm On Aug 04, 2020
Queenlovely:
Sorry dear, in this country you find yourself, you got to be strong, and you are not a mason or bricklayer.you are just a helper, mason boy, I mean mason tender.

Just last year, one apprentice fell down from a 3 storied building in our neighborhood during construction, he was paralyzed immediately.

From suleija, we flew him out to a bone doctor in Indiana. That was how he was saved

So how are you coping now. I want to show some love, mail
Thanks for whatever love you have shown the man. May we never lack, aameen
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by salt1: 4:03pm On Aug 04, 2020
skyfather09:
so you nearly die because of 2300? this life sef.

I feel like crying.
Op, please share your account here. Anyhow anyhow, let's buy you credit

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Glaswegian: 4:03pm On Aug 04, 2020
MrOjay1:
Last friday evening, my friend in the hood called me on phone to inform me of a job opening in an ongoing construction site somewhere around Agbara (Lagos).

He told me the pay is 2,300 per day depending on if you were able to finish the day's job.

I told him i was interested (no choice for a broke man) and asked him when we are to leave for the place. He said we'll leave for Agbara the next day early in the morning to get there on time and start with others.

'No wahala', I said.

We set off the next morning and got there before 7 or thereabouts. When the supervisor saw me said, 'oboy as you dey lenge lenge (slim) like this, you sure say you go fit do this kind work so??'

I told him i could. Shey no be my mates dey do am?

I started the work which was carrying mixed concrete and sand up into the second floor of the building.

The work no easy o. I wan die true to God but i just chinned up and continued. I worked like this till afternoon.

My body was telling me to stop but i continued being that i wanted my full pay for the day then something happened.

As i was climbing up the scaffolded stairs, my limbs had become weak and my eyes dazed, i had no energy left again to climb up to the second floor so while trying to muster up energy as i climbed, I mis-stepped my footings and was about falling off the stairs down to the ground laden with bamboo, nails, stones and co far below but was saved by the hand of another worker coming up the stairs behind me. He had already noticed my fatigue and signs of faint feeling.

My headpan had already crashed down the ground.

I wonder what would have happened to me. Probably would have died.

The supervisor heard of it and was furious, lambasting me saying,' shebi i tell you say you no fit do this work? Na so you for put me for trouble.Oya dey go house now now, he said as he put his hands in his pocket and brought out 1400 as my payment.

I protested and demanded my full payment but he wasn't listening and was threatening to call the police.

I left the place, went home and used half the money to treat the sprain and pains i was feeling all over my body.

For you to be able to type this means you probably had at least ND or NCE. Or at least a school leaver that was above average in secondary school.

I’m impressed you did not look down on this job to make money rather than give excuse to go into illegal activities like crime.

Kudos.

3 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by WaleRock: 4:05pm On Aug 04, 2020
MrOjay1:
Last friday evening, my friend in the hood called me on phone to inform me of a job opening in an ongoing construction site somewhere around Agbara (Lagos).

He told me the pay is 2,300 per day depending on if you were able to finish the day's job.

I told him i was interested (no choice for a broke man) and asked him when we are to leave for the place. He said we'll leave for Agbara the next day early in the morning to get there on time and start with others.

'No wahala', I said.

We set off the next morning and got there before 7 or thereabouts. When the supervisor saw me said, 'oboy as you dey lenge lenge (slim) like this, you sure say you go fit do this kind work so??'

I started the work which was carrying mixed concrete and sand up into the second floor of the building.

The work no easy o. I wan die true to God but i just chinned up and continued. I worked like this till afternoon.

My body was telling me to stop but i continued being that i wanted my full pay for the day then something happened.

As i was climbing up the scaffolded stairs, my limbs had become weak and my eyes dazed, i had no energy left again to climb up to the second floor so while trying to muster up energy as i climbed, I mis-stepped my footings and was about falling off the stairs down to the ground laden with bamboo, nails, stones and co far below but was saved by the hand of another worker coming up the stairs behind me. He had already noticed my fatigue and signs of faint feeling.

The supervisor heard of it and was furious, lambasting me saying,' shebi i tell you say you no fit do this work? Na so you for put me for trouble.Oya dey go house now now, he said as he put his hands in his pocket and brought out 1400 as my payment.

I protested and demanded my full payment but he wasn't listening and was threatening to call the police.

I left the place, went home and used half the money to treat the sprain and pains i was feeling all over my body.

May the will of God concerning you come to pass. May you fulfill destiny.

Please, hang in there. Keep praying; remain faithful, honest, and self-disciplined, ...
Your future is brighter than you can imagine.

It's only a matter of little time.

Blessings!

4 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Chemicalboy1: 4:11pm On Aug 04, 2020
MrOjay1:

'No wahala', I said.

Guy pls gimme contact.. I dey agbara ,leme go and work...to stay ouse don tire person
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Parablesonmarble: 4:28pm On Aug 04, 2020
calaway:
Next time beforehand take 2 tab of panadol and again every 3hrs while the job is on. Its all u need to last a day of tedious labor and have no pains later. Do this as a gentleman.. But Ur mates u saw doing it effortlessly use tramadol or splif to tilt the odds.

That guy that saved you. Look for him and thank him.. . He is God s angel watching over you

Excessive use of acetaminophen causes damage to the liver and prolonged use is implicated in cancer. Occassional use of panadol may be okay but dependency on it to go through a day of tedious job might be risky. The best bet is to build his strength slowly over time. With time, he'll gain the stamina if he takes it a step at a time.

3 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by musa7m(m): 4:31pm On Aug 04, 2020
labourers full Nairaland ....I do this kind work years back ....the first day was the hardest ...and back then the pay is 1200 ....

2 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by OLAN2015: 4:32pm On Aug 04, 2020
MrOjay1:

'No wahala', I said.

Please drop your account number. Don't be surprized if some Nairalanders like us assists you with our little tokens.

6 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Analysiscorner: 4:32pm On Aug 04, 2020
Queenlovely:
Sorry dear, in this country you find yourself, you got to be strong, and you are not a mason or bricklayer.you are just a helper, mason boy, I mean mason tender.

Just last year, one apprentice fell down from a 3 storied building in our neighborhood during construction, he was paralyzed immediately.

From suleija, we flew him out to a bone doctor in Indiana. That was how he was saved

Thank you so much!
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by kiddkash(m): 4:37pm On Aug 04, 2020
THE LIFE OF A MAN

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Mac2016(m): 4:45pm On Aug 04, 2020
dbenga:
grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

Seriously, i can't stop laughing.........bro i feel ur pain, as a Responsible Guy one need to work but please always know ur boundaries.

Thank God i no loss a fellow Skinny brother wink
Stop doing all these kinda job they could kill you before your dream comes true via education
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by AnthonyAk(m): 4:46pm On Aug 04, 2020
must have been a good work out tho
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by NiCurious: 4:55pm On Aug 04, 2020
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by NiCurious: 4:57pm On Aug 04, 2020
Thank goodness for your life, and for the man behind you who knew your trouble better than you did.
You tried, that matters a lot.
I understand oga's position, too. 1. He paid you for the work that you did do. (If he paid everyone a whole day's pay for a half day's work, his crew would all go home at noon.) 2. His trouble is not that you couldn't do a whole day's work, because he can find someone else next day, to replace you. But because you pushed yourself past your safe working limit, you became clumsy and almost fell and died. You think your death on his jobsite isn't trouble for him too, professionally, and not just on the level of human decency? I don't find him hardhearted from your writeup. Just frustrated because he can only control so much of what goes on at the site, and then his workers have to use their own common sense and know when to stop, because he can't feel what is going on in their body. He is building a building, not babysitting. smiley
Las las you're okay, and you learned a lot on that day, right? Glad you're on the mend.

MrOjay1:

'No wahala', I said.

3 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Ed12(m): 4:58pm On Aug 04, 2020
When next you are tempted to go back to such hustle!! Budget up to 40% of your day pay for food and drugs during work!! Eat enough food and take drug 3-4hours interval.. when you notice your energy level is reducing again, take the drugs. This kind of work requires endurance more than power especially when you are a labourer.

2 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by earnit1: 5:10pm On Aug 04, 2020
really
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by onuku: 5:11pm On Aug 04, 2020
What is SK?

nkemdi89:
Next time eat beans and bread before you start with a lot of water , if you have sk take it too.
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by VicM6: 5:18pm On Aug 04, 2020
MrOjay1:

'No wahala', I said.

you funny self op, full payment for job wey you no finish... nawa 4 u o....
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by InvertedHammer: 5:20pm On Aug 04, 2020
/
My only interest is that you were willing to work.

Send your account number.

/

9 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Nobody: 5:21pm On Aug 04, 2020
I had similar experience 6 years ago, I missed a step and fell from the ladder while trying to pour the contents in my head pan into
the wooden constructed lintel, I was lucky the head pan did not fall on top of me because I would have died or sustain a serious injury.
Do not ever engage in Concrete work as a Novice rather look for a Mason and serve him but no go Do pass yourself, most guys doing concrete work are on Drugs.

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Chirowman(m): 5:27pm On Aug 04, 2020
na God save you , hope you went for testimony.labouring job is not for the faint heart you need extra energy especially storey buildings .
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Johntemmy(m): 5:51pm On Aug 04, 2020
labour work no be beans ooo
I do am sotey ..from 14 till 17 or 18yrs self.
I could remember a day I wanted to fall on top story building mutual house then beside tanterlizer in ado ekiti it's till daybreak job I mean night work hummm we don work tired for afternoon then my guys bargain for another place to fill in but I no get choice cos the money choke my eyes as we started work for few hours na so my legs dey shake fear and cold dey grip cos rain dey fall small small ...lols who send me last last we do am ...omo no be small things.
now I thank God I no be billionaire yet but I give praise to God..
my advise for you is to go learn work you wish or desire..I wish you Good luck.

3 Likes

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by alizma: 6:05pm On Aug 04, 2020
MrOjay1:

'No wahala', I said.

First of all, you worked as a helper not a mason, secondly, you had started the job from the wrong stage. As first timer, you should have start with people that lay blocks, that one is less difficult compared with mixing and supplying concrete.
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by austinelex: 6:27pm On Aug 04, 2020
U just started construction work I starts mine when I was just 12 to 13 yrs old i did just for survival was not an easy work though,it gave me permanent pain at my back
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Jasseyfrd(m): 6:37pm On Aug 04, 2020
calaway:
Next time beforehand take 2 tab of panadol and again every 3hrs while the job is on. Its all u need to last a day of tedious labor and have no pains later. Do this as a gentleman.. But Ur mates u saw doing it effortlessly use tramadol or splif to tilt the odds.

That guy that saved you. Look for him and thank him.. . He is God s angel watching over you
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by prophetfire: 6:43pm On Aug 04, 2020
MrOjay1:

'No wahala', I said.

yeye man. Common mason work U dey faint. But if na woman dem give U now, ur prrick go stand to fvckk. Ode.
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by ORIAYO70(m): 6:43pm On Aug 04, 2020
thunderbj:
I did this labour work too this last Friday,it was not easy at all. I carried three cement bags,I carried the first two when work started then I had enough strength and carried the last one in the evening. The last one I carried made me to regret going to the work cos I put it on my head.
it was just like the cement compressed my head with my chest and my heart together, make God just open way for person those work na no go area iswr

Pls no kee person with laff....

Mansion job is the most energy exerting job

I remembered when I Took my friend Chinedu to work, he thought is about body physique alone, but it ended in tears until I called on Aboki.

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Malawian(m): 6:59pm On Aug 04, 2020
I was looking for where you used N500 inside to buy your babe Sharwama. Thank God for your life and sense. grin grin
For person wey say him nearly die, you still get strength to protest the half pay. Lazy Youth.

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Roozzaay(m): 7:09pm On Aug 04, 2020
Queenlovely:

May the Good God meet you at every point of needs too.... People like you are giving humanity hope.... Please don't stop being good
Re: My Near Death Experience While Working As A Mason by Harrykn: 7:41pm On Aug 04, 2020
Someone please help op with a work offer. since he can tell his work experience, i'm sure he can take least a receptionist task. I know alot of people here have a good stand to do it. Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ecobank Graduate Trainee 2021 / Job Winning CV...(Updated) / What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.