Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,272 members, 7,829,599 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:22 AM

The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex - Properties (39) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex (408613 Views)

Construction Of Six Bedroom Duplex At Enugu / The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) / Six Bedroom Duplex With Guest House And Bq In Ikoyi For Sale! Pix Attached! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (102) (Go Down)

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Midas02(m): 9:36pm On Apr 11, 2011
@Jungle007
(I like this your name sha! …Naija don get im own James bond!)
For the 969SF (square feet) of floor for instance, you will now require:

For 4 inch thickness:
- 38 Bags of Cement, make it 40 Bags
- 5700kg of Sand, make it 6 tons of Sand
- 11400kg of Crushed Stone, make it 12 tons of crushed stone ( 3/4 inch size)
- 266 gallons of Water

How much could you really save?? Let us find out and calculate:

Originally, for 4 inch thickness and for pure 1:3:3 formula, You were going to use the following:
53 Bags of Cement X N1800.00 = N95,400.00
8 tons of Sand X N2400.00/ton = N19,200.00
8 tons of Crushed Stone X N4200/ton = N33,600.00
370 Gallons of Water X N0.00 = N0.00 (I assume you have a well or borehole)
TOTAL MATERIAL COST (1:3:3 Mix) = N148,200.00

On the other hand, if we use the 1:3:6 formula as a filler, then we will use:
40 bags of Cement X N1800.00 = N72,000.00
6 tons of Sand X N2400.00/ton = N14,400.00
12 tons of Crushed Stone X N4200/ton = N50,400.00
266 Gallons of Water (once again uncharged)
TOTAL MATERIAL COST (1:3:6 ) = N136,800.00

CONCLUSION:
The savings amount to a total of N11,400.00!!
It is also important to remember that you only apply the 1:3:6 mix for ¾ of the floor thickness (first 3 inches), the last ¼ thickness must be finished in 1:3:3 mix! These further reduces the savings to something in the neighbourhood of N8,800.00 only! The savings achieved by using less cement is quickly chewed up by the higher cost of crushed stone aggregates!

When one considers the slower construction speed and aggravation caused by the use of two different mixes for one job – N8,800.00 is hardly worth the effort and the aggravation! And you will probably also have the added bonus of happier construction workers too!
My advice?? - Stick with the 1:3:3 mix formula and live longer!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 9:42pm On Apr 11, 2011
If there is anyone who needs a big plot of land in Enugu, almost two plots of land. It measures 1070 sq mts and has a recent c of o, a corner plot please call me. I own a plot which I want to sell as soon as possible.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Sagewood: 5:08am On Apr 12, 2011
Midas02:

@Jungle007,
I will start from the least – which is 3 inches. I advise against 3 inch!(it is tricky and requires the right conditions!) The least recommended thickness is 4 inches otherwise you run a very high risk of cracking the floor under load or pressure unless you use wire mesh reinforcement or something. However, since it is your project and I do not know what you want to use it for, I will go ahead and give it to you. In achieving a 3000psi concrete mix strength, I have calculated the following figures for your enquiry:

For 3 inch thickness on 969SF (square feet) you will need:
- 40 Bags Cement
- 6 tons (6000kg) of Sand
- 6 tons (6000kg) of Crushed Stone (popularly called granite)
- 280 gallons of Water

For 4 inch thickness on 969SF (square feet) you will need:
- 53 Bags of Cement
- 8 tons (8000kg) of Sand
- 8 tons (8000kg) of Crushed Stone (popularly called granite)
- 370 gallons of Water

For 6 inch thickness on 2207SF (square feet) you will need:
- 180 Bags of Cement
- 27 tons of Sand
- 27 tons of Aggregate or Crushed Stone
- 1260 Gallons of Water

I will also go ahead and recommend that you should always purchase 10% more cement and material than you need for any project. This is the standard margin that takes care of unexpected shortcomings, loss and inaccuracies that may arise. I wish you the best of luck in your project.

@ Midas,

Very useful analysis. Good Job. Thanks!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by lovetosin: 5:25am On Apr 12, 2011
@spyder:wish your plot was in lagos,would have bought from you, you are a wise man who know is onions, kudos.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by jungle007: 8:12am On Apr 12, 2011
Midas02:

@Jungle007
(I like this your name sha! …Naija don get im own James bond!)
For the 969SF (square feet) of floor for instance, you will now require:

For 4 inch thickness:
- 38 Bags of Cement, make it 40 Bags
- 5700kg of Sand, make it 6 tons of Sand
- 11400kg of Crushed Stone, make it 12 tons of crushed stone ( 3/4 inch size)
- 266 gallons of Water

How much could you really save?? Let us find out and calculate:

Originally, for 4 inch thickness and for pure 1:3:3 formula, You were going to use the following:
53 Bags of Cement X N1800.00 = N95,400.00
8 tons of Sand X N2400.00/ton = N19,200.00
8 tons of Crushed Stone X N4200/ton = N33,600.00
370 Gallons of Water X N0.00 = N0.00 (I assume you have a well or borehole)
TOTAL MATERIAL COST (1:3:3 Mix) = N148,200.00

On the other hand, if we use the 1:3:6 formula as a filler, then we will use:
40 bags of Cement X N1800.00 = N72,000.00
6 tons of Sand X N2400.00/ton = N14,400.00
12 tons of Crushed Stone X N4200/ton = N50,400.00
266 Gallons of Water (once again uncharged)
TOTAL MATERIAL COST (1:3:6 ) = N136,800.00

CONCLUSION:
The savings amount to a total of N11,400.00!!
It is also important to remember that you only apply the 1:3:6 mix for ¾ of the floor thickness (first 3 inches), the last ¼ thickness must be finished in 1:3:3 mix! These further reduces the savings to something in the neighbourhood of N8,800.00 only! The savings achieved by using less cement is quickly chewed up by the higher cost of crushed stone aggregates!

When one considers the slower construction speed and aggravation caused by the use of two different mixes for one job – N8,800.00 is hardly worth the effort and the aggravation! And you will probably also have the added bonus of happier construction workers too!
My advice?? - Stick with the 1:3:3 mix formula and live longer!

Thanks a lot Midas, I think i will stick with the 1.3.3 mix ratio. God bless you.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Nobody: 8:26am On Apr 12, 2011
@Midas

Sounds like we got a professional QS to contribute finally. Keep the post going y'all.
I havent contributed because ive been busy with this project and another in Oshosun, some part of Ogun
I will pour both quotes here very soon, its not a six duplex, but since the topic above is almost misleading, and since this has become a general brainswap forum, it wouldnt hurt no one. I guess. cool

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Nobody: 8:28am On Apr 12, 2011
Im now clothing the house with skin (Oops I mean plastering),

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Nobody: 8:34am On Apr 12, 2011
The house is 2 storey. 12 units of 2 bedroom flat in Bariga,
Proudly built from scratch by me cool

This is where I am currently:
Total cost so far: 23,715,000
The finishing is going as you can tell

And I guarantee before the end of April, I will post a new picture of this beauty, 101% completed.
Im very fast, very good, totally professional.

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 9:09am On Apr 12, 2011
@ aasog1

shocked that is quite encouraging!!!
and considering the fact that you this
all that in 3 months!!! Kudos!!!

Spyder, that is a very lovely pic!
Especially the kitchen view!!!

@ All I will come with some more pictures soonest!!!
Was a bit busy!!! HELL!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by nettan: 9:13am On Apr 12, 2011
@aasog what is the total cost of this project? what is the rental value of 2 bed apt in that area?
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 10:13am On Apr 12, 2011
LOL
There was a site around my area, here in Ikorodu
the man wants to roof his house, because he don't
want to pay the Omorile people, he brought some Army!
To come and guide while the carpenters were nailing the roof!
Hahaha! None of those Omorile(touts) near the place or asked the man
for their omorile fees!
Anyways after they were through for that day, in the middle of the night
the omorile's came to the site with Saw! And cross cut 'all' the woods!
That the roofing even collapsed. When the same man came the next day,
he cried. . . . It was a big loss! Because he will now have call the carpenters
again, and pay them again, settle the omorile boys, re-buy some of his woods
and and start the roofing again!!!

Oshey!!!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by mikedeoye(m): 11:04am On Apr 12, 2011
@ Am Alone,

Thanks for the info on the POP charges for the Arches.

Just an info for you. I was with your Welder guy on sunday. I took him to my site on that same day to take measurements of my windows for the Burgalary works. I have asked him to prepare quotations (based on some designes) for me to see and scrutinize. Given the fact that i'm currently out of town till upper week, i have asked him to give the quotations ( when ready ) to you to help me send to my email on mikedeoye@gmail.com as he said he does not use the internet. I want to be able to see and have time to scrutinize the quotations while i'm away such that i will only be finalising it with him when i meet him again in two weeks time. I will be so glad if you can me with this favour.

Cheers!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Whitehorse: 11:20am On Apr 12, 2011
@spyder880,

Please what's your email contact as per the Enugu land? Infact if u can email at valamalu@yahoo.com, that will be great.

Cheers
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Jussi(m): 11:22am On Apr 12, 2011
Spyder880

More vaseline to your elbow for the brilliant outreach via this thread.

Abeg if your plot is still up for sale, could you drop your phone number or email me at sozoemena@hotmail.com
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 1:06pm On Apr 12, 2011
@ whitehorse, jussi, I will mail you soonest.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Lisma: 2:06pm On Apr 12, 2011
To get land and landed property at a cheaper rate within Good House between 2.5million upward, and Genuine Land within 100k per plot - Upward contact,
Accord Property Consult
Tel: 08036880283, 07083991081
accordconsult..com
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 2:20pm On Apr 12, 2011
@ Mike

He told me but was saying something like he will send it to you via email!!!!
Anyways. I can grant you that favor! Will call him later
Peace
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 2:31pm On Apr 12, 2011
The bricklayer will finish the plastering of the design hopefully tomorrow
but at worst; Thursday!!!! Total Cash Spent So far 4.6

Peace

Sorry! I mean For Those Who Love Pic!

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 2:31pm On Apr 12, 2011
and more!!!!

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 2:33pm On Apr 12, 2011
lastly!!! grin grin grin

When The Road Got Rough
AM ALONE!!!
Trying Too Make Too Much Money
ON MY OWN!!!

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by olubuffett: 2:50pm On Apr 12, 2011
Am alone

Your house is coming out great, wonderful work, hope you bought the bricklayers drinks.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by olubuffett: 3:21pm On Apr 12, 2011
Am alone i no you like better thing, Spyder880 your wife will love these. so challenge your carpenters, lovely home deserve a nice finish.

go to link http://www.bettaliving.co.uk/
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by cinzo: 3:23pm On Apr 12, 2011
@spyder880, kindly send the price of the land to ariesventures@gmail.com I am very much intrested.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by olubuffett: 3:45pm On Apr 12, 2011
Cinzo

how is your building going and what happened to the trend you created?
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by olubuffett: 3:46pm On Apr 12, 2011
Cinzo

how is your building going and what happened to the trend you created?
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by cinzo: 4:24pm On Apr 12, 2011
@olubuffett The price of cement refused to come down and I decide to adopt a sit down look approach as it is a residential building and not commercial.
Hopefully once the rain starts and the price of cement comes down I will start off. grin
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by brabus(m): 4:54pm On Apr 12, 2011
^^^@ Cinzo - a sit down look approach is not too OK. At least you can use this period to do your septic tank as you may not be able to do in the rainy season! For Aluminium guy, resend me an email bosun.davies@live.co.uk , I'll forward his detail to you.

@aasog, too much respect! Why did it took you so long to join this thread? I've so much gbadun your style and your honest contributions. Thanks a lot.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by mikedeoye(m): 5:43pm On Apr 12, 2011
Am Alone,

Thanks. i will be expecting the email from you. Meanwhile, can pls give me the contacts (phone number and address) of where you bought your Tywford Sanitary wares. If I get you well, u said u bought a particular set of WC and Basin for 30K. How muhc is the bathtub and Jacuzzi going? Can you pls post the pics of these as well for me to see?

Thank you.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by DCGUY: 7:29pm On Apr 12, 2011
@ am alone, I love the work done b4 your roofing-what is your carpenters information and the iron benders info?
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 7:34pm On Apr 12, 2011
@ Mikedeoye,

When you go there, you need to go and do your own pricing so that you don't get cheated. Don't take my own price as a standard
You know your choices may not be same. I bought my Bathtub for around 15k(twyford). It was made with fiber. I strongly advice you not
to buy the onces made with Iron because of electrical leakage.
I said I bought a set of WC, And Basin for 30k. Then the Jacuzzi I bought went for around 30 or 40k(Ideal Standard).

But you need to do your own pricing there o! Because you may get lucky and get it cheaper!!!
Then again, you don't want to buy a fake one!

Then for the Jacuzzi(or whatever!) I wish I could show that to you also! But it is still inside it carton.
I can't arrange it myself, I would have opened, arrange, snap and post the pictures for you!!!
Peace!!!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 7:45pm On Apr 12, 2011
@ Mikedeoye,

One more thing, please note we have varieties of all this stuffs. They may all look alike, but the their qualities will be different.
As in they have grades.

Like for example; The kitchen basin I bought cost around 24k brand name is Topaz!
I will post the picture later. And as a mater of fact I have seen two Topaz just like mine
and the first one was for 9,500(though it doesn't have double tray as mine. It only have double bowl)
And when I investigated it well, I notice the packaging was okay(not as the one I bought!) And it has
no guarantee!!!
Then again I have seen another one with a 5yr guarantee. But it looks more like a fake or so!!
Mine has a 15yr warranty! Thought it may just be a sticker as most people may think.
But I Love it!!!!
Remember the person was introduced to me by a honest person. Nobody is perfect!!!! I mean, some
of the things I bought from them must have being inflated, BUT THE BIGGEST JOY IS THAT, THEY ARE
ORIGINAL AND VERY DURABLE!!!!
Now again, I went to the market to do some research about pricing because I felt I most have lost too much
The bathtub, I saw it for 17k5 last. But i bought my less
my house mixer I saw it for 16k5 too but bought mine for less
The water heater I bought mine for 15k, but the price was around 16k(stand to be corrected! It is 15kg Ariston product)
but there are some other things I believe must have been inflated!!!!
It ain't easy!!!! But I did my best!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (102)

Don't Be A Victim. Investigate Every Property Before You Buy Any Land This Year / STONE CLADDING,STONEWORK,VENEER STONE,VENEER BRICKS FOR NIGERIA BUILDINGS✯✯✯✯✯☸☸ / Roofing Sheets: The Cost Of Various Types Of Roofing Sheet In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.