Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,453 members, 7,830,239 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:28 PM

The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex - Properties (40) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex (408624 Views)

Construction Of Six Bedroom Duplex At Enugu / The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) / Six Bedroom Duplex With Guest House And Bq In Ikoyi For Sale! Pix Attached! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (102) (Go Down)

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by mikedeoye(m): 7:49pm On Apr 12, 2011
@ Am Alone,

I will definately do my own negotiations before Buying and i assure you i will get it cheaper. The info im trying to get from you is part of my market survey, I'm also going to check some other places before settling on where to Buy. Pls what type of Tywford brand ( set of WC and Basin) did u get for the 30K (i mean the name). I know u said u got the Tywford Envy for 80K.

U forgot to drop the Seller's contact again. Pls drop his details here for me.

One last question, how do i differentiate the fake from the Original?

Thanks
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 7:52pm On Apr 12, 2011
DCGUY:

@ am alone, I love the work done b4 your roofing-what is your carpenters information and the iron benders info?

I won't lie to you, BUT FIRST I GIVE GOD ALL THE GLORY!!!!
The carpenters were not the best!!!! If Not For GOD's Intervention  grin
those guys would have killed me at the site ooo
I had to shout and shout and shout!!!! I am very sorry, I cannot recommend them to anyone
I had to use my own sense to stop them from jeopardizing the whole job.
Again the round pillars took the carpenter 4 to 5 days to get it right(I kept correcting him!).
Though I know how to follow him up! But I don't think everybody can. Now if you ask again
you will get it!  grin  grin
I leave it there. . . .
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 8:00pm On Apr 12, 2011
mikedeoye:

@ Am Alone,

I will definately do my own negotiations before Buying and i assure you i will get it cheaper. The info im trying to get from you is part of my market survey, I'm also going to check some other places before settling on where to Buy. Pls what type of Tywford brand ( set of WC and Basin) did u get for the 30K (i mean the name). I know u said u got the Tywford Envy for 80K.

U forgot to drop the Seller's contact again. Pls drop his details here for me.

One last question, how do i differentiate the fake from the Original?

Thanks

Bros, na there is go know say soup wey sweet na money kill am!!!
Like I said earlier, the guy was introduced to me by someone!!!!
My main goal is quality, not quantity!!!!
You can never cheat them. And again, we have varieties of twyford envy lol!!!
BROS you may think you are saving money!!!! grin
I don't have the name of the 30k twyford ooo! But you can see the pic!!!
I have stated it earlier! I bought a sink for 23k with 15yr warranty!!!
and I saw the same zinc in the market for 9k5 no warranty on it and look very okay
and again I saw another one(dont know the price) looks more like fake with a 5yr warranty!!
All same Topaz Kitchen Basin!!!!
If you won spend money!!!! You go get the best!!! Them go chop you no how, but make e just
no too much!!!!
If you no won spend money!!!! Na there you go begin buy fake things thinking say you dey buy the best
Again I still beleive say Nobody go sell twyford envy 2008 for 50k for you!!!!(but if you see am and na original
abeg let me know!!!!)
Peace!!!!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 8:01pm On Apr 12, 2011
Again me no fit differnciate fake from original
na them dey know. You can take a trusted plumber with you
i did that but it seems the plumber was against moi!
Peace!!!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by mikedeoye(m): 8:05pm On Apr 12, 2011
Am Alone:

@ Mikedeoye,

One more thing, please note we have varieties of all this stuffs. They may all look alike, but the their qualities will be different.
As in they have grades.

Like for example; The kitchen basin I bought cost around 24k brand name is Topaz!
I will post the picture later. And as a mater of fact I have seen two Topaz just like mine
and the first one was for 9,500(though it doesn't have double tray as mine. It only have double bowl)
And when I investigated it well, I notice the packaging was okay(not as the one I bought!) And it has
no guarantee!!!
Then again I have seen another one with a 5yr guarantee. But it looks more like a fake or so!!
Mine has a 15yr warranty! Thought it may just be a sticker as most people may think.
But I Love it!!!!
Remember the person was introduced to me by a honest person. Nobody is perfect!!!! I mean, some
of the things I bought from them must have being inflated, BUT THE BIGGEST JOY IS THAT, THEY ARE
ORIGINAL AND VERY DURABLE!!!!
Now again, I went to the market to do some research about pricing because I felt I most have lost too much
The bathtub, I saw it for 17k5 last. But i bought my less
my house mixer I saw it for 16k5 too but bought mine for less
The water heater I bought mine for 15k, but the price was around 16k(stand to be corrected! It is 15kg Ariston product)
but there are some other things I believe must have been inflated!!!!
It ain't easy!!!! But I did my best!!!
[/

Am Alone.

Thanks Bro!

I perfectly understand. I'm particular about some thing qualitative at the right price and with such info like us then i can be guided when doing my pricing. The worst case is that i get them at the same rate as yours but ultimate goal is to get them cheaper.

Which one is House Mixer? how much the did u get the mixter taps for the different twyford basins you bought.

Thanks and congratulations on progress made so far on your project.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 8:14pm On Apr 12, 2011
Mixer is that tap that work with your bath tub!!!
Mine was 15k. There are some that goes for as
low as 300 naira!!!

The difference is far too much man. So when I went
back to the market the next day, I went to price that same
mixer and it went for 16k plus.
One of the things that brought the price of fiitings down again
was after they gave me the total cash, I still price base on discount
and I got a discount of 50k(guess the money came out from all those
pricess that was inflated)
Okay again, the tap I bought for the bathroom pedestral was 15k
Here I believe I most have being ripped off. Thought its original with a 5yr
warranty but I think it was suppose to be like 5k or 7k at most. I never
confirmed the price anyways. The brand name is Mmaat!
But bros above all, SHINE YOU EYES BECAUSE IT AIN'T EASY cheesy wink
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 8:16pm On Apr 12, 2011
There Is A Great Deal Of Joy In Original/Quality Things. . . .
You that have the money -- Enjoy!
You that have it by fate!!! -- Enjoy Too!
GOD IS GOD nnem!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 8:24pm On Apr 12, 2011
Here are the updates on my project!!!
I have paid the bricklayer and extra 5k
for the jobs as a compensation because
the contract did not pay him for 25k at all
As a matter of fact, he ran into a dept of 12,500
with the labour he employed to work with him
and it hasn't being easy for him
I really felt for him and have to give him 5k to support him self

He has been battling the work for 11days now, and still have 2 more
days to work there!!! Also, he has being working from 7am to 7pm(which is above a normal day work)
Even at 30k for that design, I believe I still did great considering the type of job that was done there -- Perfet!

Supposing I was paying him per day job, we won't be working 7 to 7
it would be around 8 to 5 at most. And sometimes, he may even work till 4 and close for the day
that is Lagos job for you! And that would have cost me more.
And estimate of that would be around 55k. Considering the fact that you need only
one bricklayer and one labour to give you the perfect job.
If you use two bricklayers, you may save 7k5 but the hand won't be desame
and you know my policy! Quality first, and the others can follow. . . .

Mikedeoye,

Don't get me wrong, you can do better than me!
I don't have anybody to give me some info about this
stuffs before I went there. If you want more info, holla @! your boy! grin
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 8:42pm On Apr 12, 2011
Total Cash Spent So Far Is: =N=4,742,870

During the time the bricklayer used to plaster the designs,
rain fell trice. So I believe the soligum I used to treat the
wood must have been washed away. . . So I want to buy
soligum and kerosine and pay 1,000 to treat the wood again
Thought it may not be necessary, but I don't want to take chances!!!!
Soligum 3,000
labour --1,000
kerosine-3000
Total-----7k

Net Total Of Cash Spend So Far: [i]=N=4,742,870[/i]
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Nobody: 3:55am On Apr 13, 2011
aasog: does the 23.7million cost include land? Would you be kind enough to give us a break down of the cost? I am really interested in your cost !
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Nobody: 5:06am On Apr 13, 2011
Will get to that later in the day sir. The land is in Bariga sir. Land there alone cost 8-10 million or more. So it doesnt.
And 2 bedroom in the area is worth roughly 250k or more, depending on how soon you want the flats occupied.

@AmAlone & Spyder

I dont know if you are encouraging a DIY: Do it Yourself for all the people here. Is that professional at all?
Im sorry, but sincerely, this is going beyond mere advertisements.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 7:01am On Apr 13, 2011
aasog1:

Will get to that later in the day sir. The land is in Bariga sir. Land there alone cost 8-10 million or more. So it doesnt.
And 2 bedroom in the area is worth roughly 250k or more, depending on how soon you want the flats occupied.

@AmAlone & Spyder

I dont know if you are encouraging a DIY: Do it Yourself for all the people here. Is that professional at all?

I am not a professional builder, and didnt read an engineering related course back at school, but I am an investor in lands and houses for nearly 13 years and have a first hand experience about all my houses built. I still have an engineer am paying to interprete the areas I dont know.
I urge anybody that wants to try to read this thread, make their conclusions and hire a professional, together they can get a fantastic building done perfectly.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by kuntash: 7:09am On Apr 13, 2011
aasog1:

shocked shocked shocked shocked,  how many Nigerians can go for the likes of construction companies? lest how many professionally built houses are available therein 

na wa O!!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by sonety2k(m): 7:13am On Apr 13, 2011
Posted by: spyder880  

Blocks are the cheapest of all the materials contained in any house, especially considering the size and spaces they cover in your building. Blocks are just a mixture of sand, cement and water. The higher the cement you add into the mix, the richer and stronger your blocks will turn out to be. I am very blessed, in the building industry, I have people, friends, relatives and associates that handle one aspect of building or the other. I have three friends that operate block industries for a living. I have a tenant who moulds blocks manually for a living, I also have several others who either worked as block makers or tipper drivers that always advice me on the best of sands, the best of cement to use in block making and the expected yield in every size of block. I know so much about blocks that my brother once adviced me to clear one of my empty plots and establish a block industry which will be supplying my block needs.
Let me not bore you people with more block stories but, I have used all types of blocks, machine made, vibrated, handmade, etc. Before I continue, how many of us have visited a block industry and witnessed blocks being vibrated? I have been there many time and eaten lunches while my blocks were being made. It will surprise you all if I tell you that the vibration technology is not an absolute success. Maybe you need to visit a block industry and see the number of vibrated blocks that break and spoil both when it is being made and after. Also visit a site using vibrated blocks and see if they dont break to pieces.

For those who can understand where am driving at, IT IS NOT THE WAY THE BLOCK WAS MADE THAT SAYS IF IT IS STRONGER, IT IS THE MIX, just like in every other thing.
I use hand made blocks because I love to. They are stronger for me, if you notice, there were not many broken blocks in my site. Try it with the blocks you bought and see the result for yourself. The vibrated blocks myth has since been broken years ago, I wonder why we are even wasting time on that dead topic. Like I alwways said, it is your columns, beams and pillars that carry your house. Blocks only demarcate the rooms and cover it up. Use the type of block you want and enjoy your house. Whatever you do, make your own decisions, the time has gone when you just fleece prospective house owners with one fancy terminology meant to confuse people.
Now, do we revisit the issue of hollow block versus solid blocks? Anyone?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

Please  i  will  like  to  know  all  the  major  difference  between  hollow block versus Solid  Block ,  and  which  one  is  best  among  them thanks
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 7:17am On Apr 13, 2011
@ Am alone, that solignum tratment is sometimes not reliable o. The last roofing I did, the whole woods were painted with solignum and a little qty of kerosene. Do you know that termites started eating the wood that were still packed on the ground waiting to be used for the roof? The termites ate even the painted parts with blackened solignum. Afraid catch me!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 7:26am On Apr 13, 2011
spyder880:

@ Am alone, that solignum tratment is sometimes not reliable o. The last roofing I did, the whole woods were painted with solignum and a little qty of kerosene. Do you know that termites started eating the wood that were still packed on the ground waiting to be used for the roof? The termites ate even the painted parts with blackened solignum. Afraid catch me!

Spyder lol. . . . Thank you very much!!!!
But you know there was something my Carpenter told me
He said if you buy a bad wood, no matter the amount of
Soligum you add to it, it is still useless!!!!
Because you will need to get a very gud wood first, before you
can start to think of treating it. Then again he recommend I use
the white one. When I went to the market, I couldn't find it.

Anyways, I will have to go and find it ooo --- By firE By Force!!!
Thank man
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by kuntash: 7:30am On Apr 13, 2011
@ sonety2k, use anyone u like, but I would advice u supervise in either case.

if u prefer hollow blocks and require a considerable amount, u can bargain the block machine to be @ ur site, buy the materials and agree on how many blocks to be given u from a bag.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 7:44am On Apr 13, 2011
omonuan:

aasog: does the 23.7million cost include land? Would you be kind enough to give us a break down of the cost? I am really interested in your cost !

23.7million excluding land for a block of 12, 2 bedroom flat in Lagos. This I guess should be estimated to 2m per every 2bedroom flat right?
Considering the quality materials being used, Supposing this was a four bedroom flat I guess so far spent can be estimated to 4million right?

Now if I put this into considerations I think I am really doing great!  cheesy
Considering the beauty an extra money has cost me for the house, like the 'gutter roof' ---- 500k
like the plumbing materail                                                                                        ----700k
Considering the extra money spent so far on woods for the roof. . . .
considering the height of my building that cost me extra blocks. . . .
Cosidering the fact that this omorile has collect over 200k so far
considering the fact that approval cost 160k(heard some ppl can do it for 110 in lagos without C of O)

I thin I'm kind of doing great!

A friend dad that built a 4bedroom bugalow 3 years ago spend a total of 5million(including tiles)
it was just a nice and average/mid-class looking house

Ilovemyhouse!
Peace
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 8:14am On Apr 13, 2011
Am Alone:

Spyder lol. . . . Thank you very much!!!!
But you know there was something my Carpenter told me
He said if you buy a bad wood, no matter the amount of
Soligum you add to it, it is still useless!!!!
Because you will need to get a very gud wood first, before you
can start to think of treating it. Then again he recommend I use
the white one. When I went to the market, I couldn't find it.

Anyways, I will have to go and find it ooo --- By firE By Force!!!
Thank man

I dont think termites has any respect for good wood or bad. If so, we go out and buy good wood and forget about treating them since termites target only bad woods. I think we need to explore new ways of treating these woods. Like the white type you are talking about. My carpenter once used a chemical mixture to treat a house for me, he just sprayed the whole wood after it was ready for roofing sheets to be fixed.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by myangel1(m): 8:25am On Apr 13, 2011
Hey Am Alone,

So far you spend this amount from the foundation to roofing now? Net Total Of Cash Spend So Far: =N=4,742,870 are you sure.Please can you give me your cell number or your email add. cheesy
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by mikedeoye(m): 9:13am On Apr 13, 2011
Am Alone!!!

Thanks for all the info. Infact you have done more than enough.

Pls let me have the contact details of the guy that sold the twyford to you. I need that urgently pls.

thanks
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 9:19am On Apr 13, 2011
@sonety2k, I must confess that the two types of block has no real advantages over the other except when you are building special structures. For me, I like to do the first floor in any house am building with solid blocks, but there is no real problem with hollow. I use hollow blocks for the upstairs units. I also do my septic tanks with solid blocks, no need pouring concrete when the soil is dry. Another observation I have made is that hollow blocks collapsed on me on a day heavy rain interrupted things on a site I built 2 years ago. The base was not wide enough so rain just washed off the wet mortar and the whole things came crashing. It wouldnt happen with solid blocks as we noticed in a site I built last year. When heavy rains came, I sped down from a nearby town, buying up nylon sheets to cover the job going on but arrived late. The sides were washed but the blocks remained standing due to the base were not washed off. That is one of the advantages of solid blocks.
Use hollow blocks if you like, I will use it in the upper part of my duplex. It is even cheaper because it requires less cement and sand to produce. If a bag of cement gives you 35 solid blocks of 6", the same bag can give you 42 hollow blocks of 6".
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by 2dmax(m): 12:05pm On Apr 13, 2011
@midas 02, can i have your email address? @ all, do get your best qoutes for electrical wires and cables from maxndianaefo@yahoo.com, also read builders andd developer wise up! at the property section.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 12:16pm On Apr 13, 2011
kuntash:

shocked shocked shocked shocked,  how many Nigerians can go for the likes of construction companies? lest how many professionally built houses are available therein 

na wa O!!

Building your house yourself is a fulfilling experience, but ask for advice where you dont understand the processes. There are so many advantages of staying around while your house is done, I had to close a door that I didnt like in my house, modified my kitchen and opened a door where I needed to create a passage. All these you could do, and have the pride to tell friends about it when the house is built and you are drinking champagne with loved ones. The do-it-yourself approach is good especially if you have the time.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by egin(m): 12:22pm On Apr 13, 2011
2dmax:

@midas 02, can i have your email address? @ all, do get your best qoutes for electrical wires and cables from maxndianaefo@yahoo.com, also read builders andd developer wise up! at the property section.
Can you provide the link to the builders and developers wise up?
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 1:02pm On Apr 13, 2011
@ Mike
Name: Rotimi
Numba: 08066619493
Please do not tell him from moi
Just call him and say from a friend
because using my influence may affect the prices
Enjoy!!!!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 1:09pm On Apr 13, 2011
my angel:

Hey Am Alone,

So far you spend this amount from the foundation to roofing now? Net Total Of Cash Spend So Far: =N=4,742,870 are you sure.Please can you give me your cell number or your email add. cheesy

Yes! I am very sure! And it includes, all the pipping & fittings for my toilets, all the burglaries for the house, well, soak-away pit
And some other things sha! Let say so far what you can see there I have spent a total of 3.7million! the others have not yets be fixed
or are not in the picture yet!

I think I am doing very great!! grin
Peace!!!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by kuntash: 1:37pm On Apr 13, 2011
^^^^ wrt ur posts on this thread, your bargaining power seem shaky @ the early stage, thus some people like me saw it as money miss road person building a house and willing to bulldoze any obstacle relating to cash.

from your posts lately, it appears u r gaining confidence and the negotiating prowess is increasing, this is a natural phenomenon unless the person na mumu.

wish u luck!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by sonety2k(m): 2:27pm On Apr 13, 2011
kuntash:

@ sonety2k, use anyone u like, but I would advice u supervise in either case.

if u prefer hollow blocks and require a considerable amount, u can bargain the block machine to be @ your site, buy the materials and agree on how many blocks to be given u from a bag.

Thanks

spyder880:

@sonety2k, I must confess that the two types of block has no real advantages over the other except when you are building special structures. For me, I like to do the first floor in any house am building with solid blocks, but there is no real problem with hollow. I use hollow blocks for the upstairs units. I also do my septic tanks with solid blocks, no need pouring concrete when the soil is dry. Another observation I have made is that hollow blocks collapsed on me on a day heavy rain interrupted things on a site I built 2 years ago. The base was not wide enough so rain just washed off the wet mortar and the whole things came crashing. It wouldnt happen with solid blocks as we noticed in a site I built last year. When heavy rains came, I sped down from a nearby town, buying up nylon sheets to cover the job going on but arrived late. The sides were washed but the blocks remained standing due to the base were not washed off. That is one of the advantages of solid blocks.
Use hollow blocks if you like, I will use it in the upper part of my duplex. It is even cheaper because it requires less cement and sand to produce. If a bag of cement gives you 35 solid blocks of 6", the same bag can give you 42 hollow blocks of 6".

Thanks and have a niceday at work
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 2:32pm On Apr 13, 2011
kuntash:

^^^^ wrt your posts on this thread, your bargaining power seem shaky @ the early stage, thus some people like me saw it as money miss road person building a house and willing to bulldoze any obstacle relating to cash.

from your posts lately, it appears u r gaining confidence and the negotiating prowess is increasing, this is a natural phenomenon unless the person na mumu.

wish u luck!

Honestly, the guy is improving rapidly. It happens to most of us, the first house I built, the supervisor took me to the cleaners and ever since then, I have learnt my lessons. Always remember that whatever has been done before could be done better today, at a cheaper rate. Never buy at the first place you want to, and dont keep a single customer/supplier or workman.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by yinka85: 3:01pm On Apr 13, 2011
spyder880:

Honestly, the guy is improving rapidly. It happens to most of us, the first house I built, the supervisor took me to the cleaners and ever since then, I have learnt my lessons. Always remember that whatever has been done before could be done better today, at a cheaper rate. Never buy at the first place you want to, and dont keep a single customer/supplier or workman.

True,that.

In other words,you set up a competition amongst them,and the best quality of their products/handworks will come out naturally and at some very reasonable prices.

Remember they need you as much as you need them.

And lastly,don´t forget about referals.They dont mess with that.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by manie(m): 3:35pm On Apr 13, 2011
These are the pictures of my little place at Abijo Lagos. A three bed room bungalow. So far we have spent a little over Three million. Work will start on the plumbing, wiring and painting before the end of the end of the year.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (102)

Don't Be A Victim. Investigate Every Property Before You Buy Any Land This Year / STONE CLADDING,STONEWORK,VENEER STONE,VENEER BRICKS FOR NIGERIA BUILDINGS✯✯✯✯✯☸☸ / Roofing Sheets: The Cost Of Various Types Of Roofing Sheet In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.