Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,463 members, 7,830,321 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:43 PM

The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex - Properties (42) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex (408625 Views)

Construction Of Six Bedroom Duplex At Enugu / The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) / Six Bedroom Duplex With Guest House And Bq In Ikoyi For Sale! Pix Attached! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (102) (Go Down)

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by manie(m): 2:44pm On Apr 14, 2011
spyder880:

You have good points there, but waiting could turn to be more costly, my research today shows that things like cement and rods may be cheaper in two months time, but sand, gravel and wood may rise, reasons are that the road to the bush (for timber) and the road to the streams for sand and gravel will become bad when it rains heavily.
Even my cement and iron seller friend told me to wait, that he also is waiting for the rains to start before starting his house. I will make a final decision next week, but one thing is that all my decking materials cannot be bought at once, I will buy the wood first, and when the carpenters are through, I will buy the rods, the sand and cement will come last. This deck will last till 4-5 weeks from the day we start, so we shall be in the rainy season proper by then. Only my carpentter is the delay now.

Waiting because the money is not available yet, but you are doing your research so that you can have an idea of the cost implication. Then you plan towards it, while doing your research you might discover that you can actually save cost. Most time it is the workers that will advice you that you can also do it this way, and such suggestions usually save money. Because they might have realised that why you have not been able to do it is due to financial constraints. I am actually waiting for my dividends which will start coming in from June. But before the money comes in, l already have an idea of what the cost will be.
Another thing is that once we have money, we buy the materials in bits. By the end of April, we will buy some of the eletrical wiring materials. You know person na salary earner and not a businessman. If one is waiting to have the big buck, one will never start.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by donfidel(m): 4:06pm On Apr 14, 2011
@ manie,

I'm really inspired by ur effort. Pls keep it up. May God bless you.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Demainman1: 4:28pm On Apr 14, 2011
@Manie, How many windows does your bungalow have altogether(big and Small)? I just what to compare ur cost to what i am paying now for my house 30 windows. Thanks
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Nobody: 6:30pm On Apr 14, 2011
Whitehorse:

All,

Please does anyone have an idea of rent for a 2 bedroom flat in the Igbo Elerin Area of Badagry? I have two plots of land there that i bought in 2009, and i'm thinking of building 4 flats on one plot in a bungalow sort of design while leaving the other plot empty for now.

I understand a 4 flat bungalow design will cost less to build than a block of 4 flats (1 storey).

I'm trying to learn and utilize the PE our teachers have just taught us.  smiley

The Igbo elerin I know is not in Badagry but just behind the Iba Estate. Badagry is another 40 minutes drive from there
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 7:08pm On Apr 14, 2011
@ Demain_man
Check out this quotations for aluminum windows. Please note
the quoatation was forwarded to me my the engineer who will
be doing my POP work for me. He has all the contact for people
that does everything related to building. He is also a very religious
person and he's very honest! He txt the guy in my presence to
send him the quotation of aluminum windows. Later in the day the
guy forward it to him. And he forward it to me(I believe this is a very
honest quotation because the guy at first thought it was the Engineer
that needs the aluminum).

Aluminum window for sliding (imported)
4 by 4 = Each 7,000 x 10 = 70,000
5 by 4 = Each 12,000 x 2 = 24,000
2 by 2 = Each 4,000 x 2 = 12,000
Installation /transport = 20,000
Total: =N=126,000

Aluminum Sliding window(Tower Thick)
4 by 4 = each 10,000 x10 = 100,000
5 by 4 = each 15,000 x 2 = 30,000
2 by 2 = each 7,000 x 3 = 21,000
Installation/transport = 20,000
Total: =N=171,000.00

Quotation for aluminum casement window(they didn't metion if this is Towers Nigeria or imported. Though it is most likely to be tower's product).

4 by 4 = Each 28,000 x 10 nos = 280,000
5 by 4 = Each 32,000 x 2 nos = 64,000
2 by 2 = 9,000x 3 nos = 27,000
Total : =N=271,000.00(excluding installation)

But when the guy met with me, and gave me his own
quotation, it amounts to 470k plus!!! I guess because he
saw a big house!

Bros kindly compare the above prices and you will notice that they are not same. Towers aluminum is a Nigeria made aluminum and is more expensive/durable than all those imported ones, and again it is one of the best. First you need to know what you want, and use that to do you bargain!!!! Towers aluminum is more advice-able. But if you are not very much interested in quality, you can use the imported ones. Also, sometimes you may be paying for a quality one and they may mix it for you(imported an nigeria). And you will not know. What I advice you to do is to first try to know what you want and use that to do you bargain!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 9:20pm On Apr 14, 2011
Finally, some action, my carpenter is now free. We talked prices and he agreed to do the whole woodwork for the deck with N55k. This is N5k below my budget. He will do the staircase, deck and fit all the bamboo. I am going out to buy him planks tomorrow, I will also arrange the bamboo and hopefully, work will commence by tomorrow.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Whitehorse: 10:04pm On Apr 14, 2011
@ChairCover,

You are very correct. I actually mean Ilogbo Eremi area of badagry, which is where i have the two plots. Thanks for pointing out my mistake.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Fhemmmy: 2:19am On Apr 15, 2011
I really need to frequent home, all these names of place and yet i no sabi them . . .so sad
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Sagewood: 7:26am On Apr 15, 2011
spyder880:

I nearly built a hostel around there. It is a lucretive business, but the cost of land around that area is very expensive. When I calculated the PE ratio (will teach us about this later) I found out that I will make more money in Agbani, so I built a hostel in Agbani. Now I have collected all my money back from the Agbani unit. Na profit me dey chop from that one now.

Thanks Spyder for the update.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Nobody: 8:44am On Apr 15, 2011
Whitehorse:

@ChairCover,

You are very correct. I actually mean Ilogbo Eremi area of badagry, which is where i have the two plots. Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

Ilogbo is just after oko afo. I dont know how far in your property is from the road

In Aradagun which is about 10 mins drive from oko afo, standard 2 bed flats are going at about 100K per annum
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Demainman1: 11:11am On Apr 15, 2011
@Am Alone, I just want to belief that i am getting a nice price for the 30 windows (N420K). I do not know the quality of the material as i am not on the ground but the guy came highly recommended and since he is also from my town he dare not give me a shoddy job i hope.

It is very good to be around to see to your building be built. to be able to make those adjustments whenever you have to. To help with the labour and all that. For example, right now i can't even decide if I want 'window hood' or not.

These naija tradesmen have a way of pushing everything and anything to you just to take your money. Windows hood, POP, interlocking pavement, pvc ceilings, infact the whole lot. Infact i am going to leave most of these things until i visit home at the end of the year.

I like my space to be modestly done not like some of those houses i see in nollywood movies. Some people and their weird taste huh! just because dem be money-miss-road.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by manie(m): 11:25am On Apr 15, 2011
Demain_man:

@Manie, How many windows does your bungalow have altogether(big and Small)? I just what to compare your cost to what i am paying now for my house 30 windows. Thanks

I dont have the quotation here. But i did a total of 15 windows. 8 big windows for the rooms, dining and sitting room. And another 7 windows for the toilets, baths and part of the sitting room.
This side is part of the parlour, and i have some of the small windows there.

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 11:56am On Apr 15, 2011
I have bought some of the wood.

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 12:05pm On Apr 15, 2011
1x12x12 planks 96k
2x3x12 poline 8,400
2 inches nail 1/2 bag 2400
3 inches nail 1/2 bag 2400
transportation 3000
loading/offloading 3500

total N115,700.00

CUMMULATIVE TOTAL N1,086,900.00

Work has started in bits, but the major work will commence tomorrow when the bamboo sticks arrive. We shall vote the president on site tomorrow, please dont ask me which one, President Jonathan, Buhari, Ribadu or Spyder grin grin grin
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by egin(m): 12:10pm On Apr 15, 2011
Am Alone:

@ Demain_man
Check out this quotations for aluminum windows. Please note
the quoatation was forwarded to me my the engineer who will
be doing my POP work for me. He has all the contact for people
that does everything related to building. He is also a very religious
person and he's very honest! He txt the guy in my presence to
send him the quotation of aluminum windows. Later in the day the
guy forward it to him. And he forward it to me(I believe this is a very
honest quotation because the guy at first thought it was the Engineer
that needs the aluminum).

Aluminum window for sliding (imported)
4 by 4 = Each 7,000 x 10 = 70,000
5 by 4 = Each 12,000 x 2 = 24,000
2 by 2 = Each 4,000 x 2 = 12,000
Installation /transport = 20,000
Total: =N=126,000

Aluminum Sliding window(Tower Thick)
4 by 4 = each 10,000 x10 = 100,000
5 by 4 = each 15,000 x 2 = 30,000
2 by 2 = each 7,000 x 3 = 21,000
Installation/transport = 20,000
Total: =N=171,000.00

Quotation for aluminum casement window(they didn't metion if this is Towers Nigeria or imported. Though it is most likely to be tower's product).

4 by 4 = Each 28,000 x 10 nos = 280,000
5 by 4 = Each 32,000 x 2 nos = 64,000
2 by 2 = 9,000x 3 nos = 27,000
Total : =N=271,000.00(excluding installation)

But when the guy met with me, and gave me his own
quotation, it amounts to 470k plus!!! I guess because he
saw a big house!

Bros kindly compare the above prices and you will notice that they are not same. Towers aluminum is a Nigeria made aluminum and is more expensive/durable than all those imported ones, and again it is one of the best. First you need to know what you want, and use that to do you bargain!!!! Towers aluminum is more advice-able. But if you are not very much interested in quality, you can use the imported ones. Also, sometimes you may be paying for a quality one and they may mix it for you(imported an nigeria). And you will not know. What I advice you to do is to first try to know what you want and use that to do you bargain!

The total is N371,000 not N271,000
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by AmAlone: 5:52pm On Apr 15, 2011
^^
grin grin
I thought I wrote 371,000.00!
grin
My mistake!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by 2dmax(m): 6:36pm On Apr 15, 2011
@ maine, do get your best quotes for your building's wire and cables and also get the tips to know the bad from the good wires/cables. P.s. Honestly, anyone that knows how to post a link to a thread should please teach yours sincerely. I have been battling with it for long. Thanks. 2dmax.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by bisanjay: 11:53pm On Apr 16, 2011
spyder880/AM ALONE,

you are undoubtedly one of the Oracles (building) in the house, pls what sayest thou on the cost of Decking a storey building of 2 flats. Each flat has 3bedrooms. a bathroom, and a toilte each. i need to do decking and i'm encouraged by your insight and experience on this subject and will be posting the image soon for other people to comment. i am able to give the job whoever you can recommend. i did the linbtel and piller recently and wasn't too impressed with the work.

bless
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 5:55am On Apr 17, 2011
bisanjay:

spyder880/AM ALONE,

you are undoubtedly one of the Oracles (building) in the house, pls what sayest thou on the cost of Decking a storey building of 2 flats. Each flat has 3bedrooms. a bathroom, and a toilte each. i need to do decking and i'm encouraged by your insight and experience on this subject and will be posting the image soon for other people to comment. i am able to give the job whoever you can recommend. i did the linbtel and piller recently and wasn't too impressed with the work.

bless

Thanks for your kind words, if the cost of materials in your area is same with the materials where am building, then you shall be looking at N2 million for that size of decking.
Reason is that am building a house which covers the top of two rooms, a sitting room and dinning plus sitouts and a few other cantelevers. If you are building a 3 bedroom x 2, then the floor size of one of your flats is wider than my duplex top. I think Brabus, aasog1 and Calculusx can add more insights.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 2:13pm On Apr 17, 2011
Still struggling to get bamboo, we have to go into the bush and cut long bamboo sticks, then when we get to the site, we can measure and fix. Its cheaper too than buying from the sellers at the urban areas.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by kuntash: 7:36pm On Apr 17, 2011
^^^^also fresher and stronger
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by princeonx: 8:41pm On Apr 17, 2011
@bisanjay: welcome  aboard, at least I now have a partner. You are building exactly the same thing am building in Lagos.

Spyder880 is right! budget/plan  for N2M if you have change fine! if not, all well.

Here is the material and labour cost I got for mine.

one & half ton of 12mm rod @ N126K a ton + N63K for half =N189,000
two tons of 11mm rod N140K a ton = N280,000
three quarter ton of 16mm N94,500
quarter ton 8mm N35,000
Banding wire N4,500
Rods only came up to N603,000
one trailer load of gravel N120,000 (in addition to the little I still have)
3 double tipper loads of sands N132,000 (N44K each, another addition to my left over sand)
200 bags of cement N420,000 (N2,100 a bag) I might not use all but I bought 200 bags to be on safe side.
water N15,000 (might need more).
labour for the decking is N120,000
Iron benders N60,000
I paid N250,000 for carpentry work which includes hiring of the planks, deliver them to my site, do the whole carpentry work with their own nails and take down everything when the decking is dry and ready to go (quote for buying my own planks, nails, and labour would be about N500K+ so I decided to rent instead). 

So the total I've spent on material and labour for my decking only is N1,720,000 and my brother just told me about an hour ago that we need more rods to finish the decking and the staires/steps (about N93,500 more worth of rods) that will put me at N1,813,500.00

The decking would have been done since last week but the carpenter was kind of slow but thank God both him and the iron guys are almost done. We're set to do the decking in two days (Tuesday).
Also, I am angryly paying those omo-oniles N100K for their own job which is "NOTHING". 

So my guy that is what you're looking at spending but you know naija, there are 300 ways of doing one thing. Someone told my brother that we used too much rods on the decking because they are too close to each other but the truth about building cost still remain your choice, quality, and most of all your pocket! your decking rods might be 5inches apart while mine are 3inches, its all up to you & what you want! Good luck all the same.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 9:38pm On Apr 17, 2011
@ prince-onx, thank you for proving me right. More vaseline to your elbows, your decking shall be like a rock! Even stronger than Gaddafi bunker sef! Lol.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by Sagewood: 10:24pm On Apr 17, 2011
Nice work guys. Keep threading!
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by princeonx: 10:48pm On Apr 17, 2011
@spyder880:
Ol'boy na your foot steps we dey follow ohhh! and if my brother know you, the guy for don fight you cux you dey make life harder for am. Before I pay for anything or ask him to check a price for something for me, I go first tell am say my friend pay or bought his for so so price (I dey talk am like say me and you dey US here). All the same am blessed to have him supervising the projet. e for no easy with naija contractors and their wahala. The cheap or reasonable one no go get work done right and on time, then the one wey go do am right and on time go nearly wan rob you with price. I have a friend whose house (4 bedroom safe con) is not even close to lintel since October last year and showing him pictures of mine and talking of decking in about 2 months is driving him knot while this whole thread and pictures from spyder880 is making him go banana! So far he has fired two contractors and is bringing one from somewhere in Enugu I believe. No more meeting today, funeral tomorrow, and wedding next tomorrow from his town contractors/workers.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by bisanjay: 3:22am On Apr 18, 2011
@ prince onx and Spyde880 and other "Generals in the house" ,

apprecite ur repply and have compare yours with a quote from my a contrator. some similarities. however, someone handling the project for me is talking about hiring mixer machine that would mix the cement, sand and gravel , i've ask for the cost of hire. but i'm wondering how you intend to mix yours on the day of decking. again, must an electrician be involved before decking ? i understand he will be needed to loop and to run wires through b/4 the decking; are you also doing this and why not afterward ?
it's interesting you've got your wood & carpentry jobs contracted out the way you did !!!!, Pls would you mine giving me the contact detail of the carpenter/company as i will like negotiate with him regarding mine. but in my own case, i may not have to spend as much as yours because i intend to re-use the wood i used for my Lintel and pillars. it quite a lot and i think it can be reused. my pillars is 36 in total.

i have problem attaching/ down-loading image, but will try again tomorrow. thanks
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 6:17am On Apr 18, 2011
@ Bisanjay,
I intend to hire a mixing machine for the decking day and the cost for the day will be about N20k including their transporting costs. I will pay the labour bill for boys carrying the mixed cement to pour it upstairs.
I intend to insert plastic pipes at intervals to create holes through the decking to pass my electrical cables after the house is completed, however no electrician will be involved. My engineer can do this.
My carpenter is a tenant in my house, (lives in the same compound am building now) and since he is in Enugu, it will be difficult to make any arrangements if not impossible.
I will also keep the wood after the decking, it has serious reuse value and I will keep them aside. My house has only 27 pillars inside and around 3 outside.
God will help all of us complete our projects.
Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 12:54pm On Apr 18, 2011
current looks grin grin grin

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 12:56pm On Apr 18, 2011
this is how my duplex will look after its completed grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Real Cost Of Building A Six Bedroom Duplex by spyder880(m): 12:58pm On Apr 18, 2011
more pictures,

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (102)

Don't Be A Victim. Investigate Every Property Before You Buy Any Land This Year / STONE CLADDING,STONEWORK,VENEER STONE,VENEER BRICKS FOR NIGERIA BUILDINGS✯✯✯✯✯☸☸ / Roofing Sheets: The Cost Of Various Types Of Roofing Sheet In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.