Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,450 members, 7,819,662 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:07 PM

Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad (42346 Views)

Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo / Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About / Sad Truths About Living Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by adonainana: 2:37pm On Aug 22, 2020
Harrykn:
Why not ask them how they do it since you are interested, you need a big touchlight at times

Fam, they will never tell you ooo, never ever, even when i packed my bags and started living with him, Before i knew it i was broke cos we had to always buy the stuff we need to the the credit card things.

They will never tell you oooo, cos you are a threat to his livelihood
Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by OlawaleBammie: 2:38pm On Aug 22, 2020
Ca4real:

This one no follow. If na your mama send her money oh. Don't tell her stories.

Ok sir, but no b everytime still, u pick the one u send and not one to b used to buy asoebi wen u re still owing Ur landlord
Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by wildikeman(m): 2:41pm On Aug 22, 2020
Queenslander:
Oga tell them to return home if living abroad isn't good for them.. As long as they're abroad, we will continue to call them.. cheesy cheesy
one bottle of Smirnoff ice for a sister here...I love you for this answer.. Simply come back

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by DeRay98(m): 2:43pm On Aug 22, 2020
Queenslander:
Oga tell them to return home if living abroad isn't good for them.. As long as they're abroad, we will continue to call them.. cheesy cheesy
Why you and your fellow parasites no go make others dey call you?
Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by HeavenlyHolines(m): 2:46pm On Aug 22, 2020
Kazakhstan
ZINIBANKS:

Which country are you in
Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by Godtemi: 3:10pm On Aug 22, 2020
emkz:

I know and I know some who ran away from Europe despite having good jobs because they were paying too much taxes. I am educating people on the end game for those who go abroad without a plan, and they are in the majority. Fault that if you please.

Very funny
You still don't know someone who is heading a multinational company or working in a big oil company.
If you don't know those people, I know them.
Nigerian with only negative example.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by Godtemi: 3:13pm On Aug 22, 2020
Amalekki:

Tax is a stupid excuse to leave a society that works. This has been analyzed several times on nairaland. Tax is one of the major reasons behind those subtle & obvious differences between Nigeria & the developed world. Don't live abroad with a Nigerian mindset - integrate properly when you get there & stop recreating your own Sapele, Oshogbo or Abakaliki in those countries.

Indians, Pakistanis, Lebanese, Russians, Chinese etc are collectively running a chunk of the economy of wherever they go but stupid Naijaman is a lone ranger with perpetual immigrant mindset. We never integrate & we are surrounded by empty barrels who can't see beyond their stomach. Everybody is decidedly self centered the way we are at home and it's always "I better pass my neighbor" and always looking for shortcuts. Story long abeg!

Thank you, God bless you

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by emkz: 3:17pm On Aug 22, 2020
MrBrownJay1:

sadly, i partly blame Nigerians for this begging nonsense, because the ones abroad wont tell them how much they are suffering, instead they will pretend that all is well and that life is great, while working 3 jobs and crawling in debt. many will buy their 1st car/house and will be flaunting it on social media, without telling people that....after repaying the mortgage and the car note at the end of the month, that person can barely survive.

there is only ONE WAY the people back home will understand how tough life in the west can be (for some), and thats by GETTING TO THE WEST THEMSELVES!

This is why I explained that many who came without a plan are facing challenges but some want me to talk about doctors, IT engineers, pharmacists, nurses and teachers. Let them speak for themselves and tell us they do not face challenges. Let them tell us they are not paying mortgage, car loans and saving for their children's college. I really think those abroad should be honest with folks back home about their challenges, it is not rosy for everyone at some point.
Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by Liposure: 3:20pm On Aug 22, 2020
One thing people dont know is the standard of living abroad is high compared to nigeria. Money is difficult to save

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by MrBrownJay1(m): 3:22pm On Aug 22, 2020
emkz:
This is why I explained that many who came without a plan are facing challenges but some want me to talk about doctors, IT engineers, pharmacists, nurses and teachers. Let them speak for themselves and tell us they do not face challenges. Let them tell us they are not paying mortgage, car loans and saving for their children's college. I really think those abroad should be honest with folks back home about their challenges, it is not rosy for everyone at some point.

exactly... EVERYBODY in the west is paying mortgage and car notes (whether a doctor or engineer). sadly, many would rather make people believe that they "bought" a house, as if they paid for it in full.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by chinchum(m): 3:27pm On Aug 22, 2020
MrBrownJay1:

thats because you actually CARE what these people think, while you shouldnt (especially if you are barely making ends meet).

to many people back home, since the dollar/Euro/Pound is around 500Nairas therefore if you are earning 1K abroad then you are rich. they will quickly calculate that $1k is about 500k nairas monthly, so they think you will have more than enough to help them....not understanding that with $1k, you can barely live in the west... and most impórtantly, they dont care whether "you" can pay your rent or not!

next time they call, tell them to call you next month!

This pretty sums it up, anyone earning $1,000/month abroad is close to being homeless and may start living on the street , but Nigerians bring out calculator and convert to Naira. A nigerian earning $1,000 in Nigeria is relatively a big boy or girl

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by emkz: 3:28pm On Aug 22, 2020
Godtemi:

Very funny
You still don't know someone who is heading a multinational company or working in a big oil company.
If you don't know those people, I know them.
Nigerian with only negative example.

Why don't you tell us the challenges the Nigerians heading multinational companies or working in big oil companies faced before they made their breakthrough? Ajimobi, who eventually headed National (Shell) Oil Company, told us he was a mortician's assistant in the US; Mike Adenuga, who is one of the richest men in Nigeria, drove cabs to send himself to school; Dele Giwa's friend drove taxi and sold ice cream in Baltimore; even many rake snow just to eat. Those people you claim to know had their rough times and that is what you should interrogate, not fly into Nairaland and make it seem as if they didn't struggle at some point.

I know you know many but can you mention one CEO of these big multinational companies who had no challenges at all and became a CEO, who did not do menial jobs to make ends meet at some point?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by emkz: 3:37pm On Aug 22, 2020
Amalekki:

Tax is a stupid excuse to leave a society that works. This has been analyzed several times on nairaland. Tax is one of the major reasons behind those subtle & obvious differences between Nigeria & the developed world. Don't live abroad with a Nigerian mindset - integrate properly when you get there & stop recreating your own Sapele, Oshogbo or Abakaliki in those countries.

Indians, Pakistanis, Lebanese, Russians, Chinese etc are collectively running a chunk of the economy of wherever they go but stupid Naijaman is a lone ranger with perpetual immigrant mindset. We never integrate & we are surrounded by empty barrels who can't see beyond their stomach. Everybody is decidedly self centered the way we are at home and it's always "I better pass my neighbor" and always looking for shortcuts. Story long abeg!

Whether it is stupid or not, I am not in a position to assess. I won't mention the name of his company or the country he left, but so long as you don't have any information about his condition apart from what you might have read here, you are not in a position to decide whether his reason is stupid or not.
Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by MrBrownJay1(m): 3:49pm On Aug 22, 2020
chinchum:
This pretty sums it up, anyone earning $1,000/month abroad is close to being homeless and may start living on the street , but Nigerians bring out calculator and convert to Naira. A nigerian earning $1,000 in Nigeria is relatively a big boy or girl

... but these people have never been abroad, so they dont understand that your monthly rent/mortgage will be no less than $500 (if you live in some god forsaken city), but if you live in top cities of the world like Paris/London/NY/Tokyo and even Shanghai etc, with $1K, you have barely enough to rent a room in a shared apt., talkless of having change to pay for food/transport etc. this is the math they fail to understand!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by Gerrard59(m): 3:51pm On Aug 22, 2020
As usual, no one mentions the reckless fecund attitude of Nigerians. When you born born anyhow, that's the end result. Had it been most of these folks complaining came from families with maximum 3 children both nuclear and extended families, these complaints would have been less.

Learn to give birth to the number of children you can take care of.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by GeneralMarshall: 3:51pm On Aug 22, 2020
humilitypays:
Don't let people deceive you with their cry cry life, there is no country in Europe or even some Asia that Nigeria is better than when it comes to working and getting paid and availability of jobs to do.

Some lazy people complain that US is not rosy, they are just lazy and not ready to work.

Developed countries like US, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, France, Netherlands, Norway, South Korea, Japan, Ireland, etc are not meant for lazy people who hate to work but love to party and live luxury life.

If you are hardworking and ready to work you can never be broke or complain when living on the aforementioned countries unlike Nigeria where lazy criminals with corrupt opportunities end up the richest while honest hardworking people end up poorest.

Abroad reward hardwork.

The only people that face some challenges abroad are those without legal papers to work legally or move around freely, but still they are far better than majority of Nigerian graduates roaming the streets without job and those working and earning peanut that cannot acquire them a decent car or a decent house to live.

So don't listen to most Nigerians abroad complaining, most of them are lazy, some have committed a lot of crime that spoilt their records so they cannot get legal job except they do crime or engage in illegal business deals angry

See, you are misleading people. If you never lived abroad, then shut up. Your post is wrong.
Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by Zeecos(f): 4:04pm On Aug 22, 2020
ekwerendi:

50k pounds? He must be very generous...
How much does he even make a year after tax that he can afford to send 50k pounds to Nigeria in just one year?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by Zeecos(f): 4:11pm On Aug 22, 2020
hustla:

Until you experience sars and health issues...then you'll know most people don't move for the money
They just want something that works
Yes oo. I love Nigeria but dont want to live there. If you're not extremely rich, life will be hard for you. But in most developed countries, even the poor/middle class enjoy the same constant electricity and healthcare system like the rich do.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by Zeecos(f): 4:20pm On Aug 22, 2020
Nnemuka:
Those ones In Europe dey suffer pass Nigerians living in Nigeria especially UK based Naija
Speak for yourself
Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by damzy88: 4:29pm On Aug 22, 2020
humilitypays:
Don't let people deceive you with their cry cry life, there is no country in Europe or even some Asia that Nigeria is better than when it comes to working and getting paid and availability of jobs to do.

Some lazy people complain that US is not rosy, they are just lazy and not ready to work.

Developed countries like US, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, France, Netherlands, Norway, South Korea, Japan, Ireland, etc are not meant for lazy people who hate to work but love to party and live luxury life.

If you are hardworking and ready to work you can never be broke or complain when living on the aforementioned countries unlike Nigeria where lazy criminals with corrupt opportunities end up the richest while honest hardworking people end up poorest.

Abroad reward hardwork.

The only people that face some challenges abroad are those without legal papers to work legally or move around freely, but still they are far better than majority of Nigerian graduates roaming the streets without job and those working and earning peanut that cannot acquire them a decent car or a decent house to live.

So don't listen to most Nigerians abroad complaining, most of them are lazy, some have committed a lot of crime that spoilt their records so they cannot get legal job except they do crime or engage in illegal business deals angry
This!!! cool

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by NovusHomo(m): 4:34pm On Aug 22, 2020
Queenslander:

Of course that is what you want. You want them to come back and join your "POVERTY UNITED CLUB" so you could turn around and call them names. Personally, I have stopped giving. As dem no send me, I no send dem.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by riches4me(m): 4:40pm On Aug 22, 2020
If you make anything above 3m/year in naija its ok. Just cut ur cloth according to size, u'll be fine

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by justwise(m): 4:41pm On Aug 22, 2020
Nnemuka:
Those ones In Europe dey suffer pass Nigerians living in Nigeria especially UK based Naija

lol..UK relative/friend refused to send you money?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by ekwerendi(m): 4:45pm On Aug 22, 2020
Zeecos:

How much does he even make a year after tax that he can afford to send 50k pounds to Nigeria in just one year?

I have been asking myself that same question... Not even 10k pounds.... But 50k pounds....
I'm still wondering ooooooooooo.... But it's okay
Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by Zeecos(f): 4:48pm On Aug 22, 2020
paulolee:

yup, same with me too...dts roughly 26m, he said his bro got married, mom had a surgery and his kid bro is currently doing his masters and all bills are on him....i no go follow who i de beg moni argue naa..
Wise guy grin
Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by shadray: 4:52pm On Aug 22, 2020
interesting!
Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by Nobody: 4:58pm On Aug 22, 2020
HeavenlyHolines:
I understand u. When I was in Niger, my salary was 24k-25k as a teacher. It wasn't funny then
How much are you now lol grin
You go don become boss nah grin grin
Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by shadray: 4:58pm On Aug 22, 2020
GeneralMarshall:

See, you are misleading people. If you never lived abroad, then shut up. Your post is wrong.

really! so tell us more, how is the earning like abroad?
Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by MyAmericandream(f): 5:07pm On Aug 22, 2020
ekwerendi:

50k pounds? He must be very generous...
I think it was a typographical error. He wanted to type 5k. Don't you know 50k is somebody's annual salary in the UK.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by HeavenlyHolines(m): 5:09pm On Aug 22, 2020
Hahaha na God oo. No place like home for peace of mind
ZINIBANKS:

How much are you now lol grin
You go don become boss nah grin grin
Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by ekwerendi(m): 5:11pm On Aug 22, 2020
MyAmericandream:
I think it was a typographical error. He wanted to type 5k. Don't you know 50k is somebody's annual salary in the UK.

I thought as much...... I was also wondering.....

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by Godtemi: 5:26pm On Aug 22, 2020
emkz:

Why don't you tell us the challenges the Nigerians heading multinational companies or working in big oil companies faced before they made their breakthrough? Ajimobi, who eventually headed National (Shell) Oil Company, told us he was a mortician's assistant in the US; Mike Adenuga, who is one of the richest men in Nigeria, drove cabs to send himself to school; Dele Giwa's friend drove taxi and sold ice cream in Baltimore; even many rake snow just to eat. Those people you claim to know had their rough times and that is what you should interrogate, not fly into Nairaland and make it s :Deem as if they didn't struggle at some point.

I know you know many but can you mention one CEO of these big multinational companies who had no challenges at all and became a CEO, who did not do menial jobs to make ends meet at some point?

Good
Is not better to do menial job and school the same time in a good institution with good security?
Than to graduate here and still be earning 30k monthly while your life is not safe from agbero, kidnapers, Boko Haram and SAR

Poor power supply that you paid for and did not use
Poor health. I lost my pregnant beautiful immediate senior sister because of useless quack graduate doctor in general hospital

For me is better I pay for education that's it worth it
It better I pay for tax that will give me good health insurance
It's better i work for my money and not be afraid of agbero and kidnapers and SAR

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Dispatch Rider Killed By BRT Bus In Ojuelegba, Lagos (Graphic Photos) / Nigerian-born US Pilot Addresses His Passengers In English,Yoruba & Pidgin (vid) / Can You Identify These Roads And Bridges In Lagos? (throw-back PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.