Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,408 members, 7,819,460 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:41 PM

Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad (42341 Views)

Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo / Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About / Sad Truths About Living Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by Jefferyhi86(m): 10:31am On Aug 22, 2020
I once had an encounter with one handsome man who bought a land close to me, after purchasing the landed property he wanted to be sure he's buying it from a genuine source he simply to the man in pidgin '"epa I no get time to de drag with person for court cos if this land no genuine Na ur life u go take pay" after sometime we meet again I had to remind home that d way he sounded to that man was a bit harsh, he was like my brother d way I de hustle for my money for Spain no be child's play NA DEAD BODY I DE WASH FOR THERE,

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by EgunMogaji2: 10:32am On Aug 22, 2020
emkz:
I remember when I lived abroad and was unfortunate to be in a relationship with someone back home. She calculated my earnings, deducted the costs of my rent, fuel and feeding, and requested I sent her the rest. She wanted to spend it on a lavish lifestyle to impress people and on her new relationship since I wasn't around.

When I returned to Nigeria, I fed better, lived better and had savings. Many of the folks back home fail to realise that many abroad work multiple jobs to live fairly comfortably and the taxes are high. I knew a man who worked as a taxi driver during the day and in the restaurant at night, I knew many who sold drugs, I saw some who worked as cleaners in the mornings and in care homes in the afternoons, there were some whose jobs were looking for customers to cut or braid their hair, even some who picked plastic bottles to sell and many of the women in prostitution. They would go to discount shops to purchase clothes at a bargain and some even go to second-hand shops. Then someone in Nigeria would send a message for money to make downpayment for iPhone 16.

I retired to Nigeria after living in the USA for 33 years. People on here loose their combined minds when I tell them that I am living my best life in Nigeria.

I love Nigeria, she's not perfect but she's Gods own country to me and to others who work/worked hard.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by emkz: 10:33am On Aug 22, 2020
Queenslander:
Oga tell them to return home if living abroad isn't good for them.. As long as they're abroad, we will continue to call them.. cheesy cheesy

It's not that they don't want to return my dear. Some of them don't have papers and many don't even have anything to return to. Even many more are too ashamed to come back to be tagged a failure. My advise based on my experiences and observations: if you have absolutely no plan when you are migrating: please remain in Nigeria. Even those running to Canada, have a plan on where you want to be. DO your indepth research, understand the jobs you can and/cannot do, and PLEASE, never sell your assets like land or house to migrate. These should be your fall back option when you feel abroad not for you. And in your own interest, end any relationship you have except both of you are true to each other.

15 Likes

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by hustla(m): 10:33am On Aug 22, 2020
Queenslander:
Oga tell them to return home if living abroad isn't good for them.. As long as they're abroad, we will continue to call them.. cheesy cheesy

Na who Wan make you call am you go call na

grin

If I change number and go off social media, you go trek come meet me?

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by millionboi2: 10:34am On Aug 22, 2020
ZINIBANKS:
let us go first
I like to see things with my two eyes cheesy
Telling person,thy no dey telling person
Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by DisLifeSha: 10:35am On Aug 22, 2020
I hate Pover tea
omooba969:

What's wrong in digging gold, or do you want her to dig pover-tea? smiley
Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by justlikedat: 10:35am On Aug 22, 2020
emkz:
I remember when I lived abroad and was unfortunate to be in a relationship with someone back home. She calculated my earnings, deducted the costs of my rent, fuel and feeding, and requested I sent her the rest. She wanted to spend it on a lavish lifestyle to impress people and on her new relationship since I wasn't around.

When I returned to Nigeria, I fed better, lived better and had savings. Many of the folks back home fail to realise that many abroad work multiple jobs to live fairly comfortably and the taxes are high. I knew a man who worked as a taxi driver during the day and in the restaurant at night, I knew many who sold drugs, I saw some who worked as cleaners in the mornings and in care homes in the afternoons, there were some whose jobs were looking for customers to cut or braid their hair, even some who picked plastic bottles to sell and many of the women in prostitution. They would go to discount shops to purchase clothes at a bargain and some even go to second-hand shops. Then someone in Nigeria would send a message for money to make downpayment for iPhone 16.
You've said it all. Thats the way it is.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by Odoctor(m): 10:36am On Aug 22, 2020
Elijahrona:

She was joking.

Here is another unique thing about Nigeria: We insult too much

Exactly. What do you think is the cause?
Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by hustla(m): 10:36am On Aug 22, 2020
Ategberoson:
I read here years back when someone was asking he had 11mllion and he was planning to relocate to Canada and I was like what a fúck

my dream to travelled out died the period I made my first 1 million as little as it was

except if I'm touring with family, I'm not relocating anywhere, even though those living in North will want to leave their lion den but no where is actually safe

Until you experience sars and health issues...then you'll know most people don't move for the money
They just want something that works

14 Likes

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by Lexusgs430: 10:36am On Aug 22, 2020
Queenslander:

And they would continue to ignore your calls/block all your known/unknown numbers......... wink

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by hustla(m): 10:37am On Aug 22, 2020
lefulefu:
its not even everybody abroad who has irresponsible relations back home.There some families who are doing well for themselves and they have sons and dauthters overseas but they dont bother them for anything.if u have pestering relations back home na to quickly block them for fone.no be by force cheesy

Lol na me even dey block them
No time for national nonsense
Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by Kingchineme6(m): 10:37am On Aug 22, 2020
ZINIBANKS:
let us go first
I like to see things with my two eyes cheesy
bring money make I do UAE visa for you.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by Amalekki: 10:38am On Aug 22, 2020
OlawaleBammie:

No b only abroad sef cheesy

If Ur mama dey live for Abeokuta and U mistakenly relocate to Abuja or Lagos..

Well, sorry is Ur case grin grin grin
grin grin
Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by Nobody: 10:38am On Aug 22, 2020
Suspicious moves in NL... LMAO

Kvng6464:
bro no be u quote person say u dy canada lmao
Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by Jaqenhghar: 10:39am On Aug 22, 2020
skimena:
Many people in Nigeria think all is well with everyone living abroad especially those in Europe.

It's sad that many don't even want to know what you are doing for a living or if you even have accommodation.

Many don't care if you have eaten or if u even have the necessary documents to move around to work. The moment they call their loved once they start laying their complains and expect u to meet all their expectations. Failure to do so, they tag u with different names such as being wicked, stingy etc.

This has pushed alot of people Abroad to engage in all sorts of illegal deals to raise funds to meet family needs. But when yawa will gas u will be left alone to carry the cross. Inside Life
Also those in the abroad also want to paint a picture that they are living large. Show off all the time and create impressions that they are in one el-dorado.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by Jaqenhghar: 10:40am On Aug 22, 2020
OlawaleBammie:

No b only abroad sef cheesy

If Ur mama dey live for Abeokuta and U mistakenly relocate to Abuja or Lagos..

Well, sorry is Ur case grin grin grin
So true. I remember when I first moved to Abuja. Anyone I tell that I stay in abj the first thing they will say is " big boy" dem no know say they are better off than me

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by femi4: 10:40am On Aug 22, 2020
2dice01:
I read somewhere where a China guy was asking

Why do African players runs to China League to Play

The comment that crack me up was

Because they have extended family that relay on them
Even South Americans

When Oscar left Chelsea for China, he said:

I came to China only for money; I don't want to be poor when I am getting old. All the foreign players came to China to earn more money to help their families,"

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by Godtemi: 10:41am On Aug 22, 2020
emkz:

Very funny
You only know someone who work in the day and night but you don't know someone who went to Europe, study and got a good job
Or someone who travelled on work visa.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by InvertedHammer: 10:41am On Aug 22, 2020
/
You commit crime because you want to hammer. Don't blame your people for your greed.

Why do people complain about requests from people back home? It is not as if they will enter a plane to come and beat you if you say No. If you can't say NO, then learn to live with your insecurity and low self-esteem. That's your personal problem.
/

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by Jaqenhghar: 10:41am On Aug 22, 2020
hustla:

Until you experience sars and health issues...then you'll know most people don't move for the money
Thats what they dont know. You can lose those millions in a split second

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by Orjivictory15: 10:41am On Aug 22, 2020
lefulefu:
not everybody abroad has poverty stricken needy relations or parents
and everyone"s duty should be to his parents and his immediate siblings
if u have distant realtions who are self entitled or needy pls block them
u dont owe them anytime
the time ur parents were probably sponsoring u in a foreign school over the dere wat were d socalled relations doing?
again ur duty is to ur parents and ur immediate siblings
anybody other than that disurbing ur peace peace of mind block that person
good thing facebook and whatsap has block buttons
u owe nobody any explanation for exhortion
My brother God bless u
U have said it all
Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by Nobody: 10:42am On Aug 22, 2020
Kingchineme6:
bring money make I do UAE visa for you.
If it's very easy I bet you will be in the Arabian desert by now hustling like there's no tomorrow grin

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by Originalsly: 10:43am On Aug 22, 2020
skimena:

Many people in Nigeria think all is well with everyone living abroad especially those in Europe.

I do not have a problem with people in Nigeria having that mindset. Isn't that what they see on TV?... isn't that what people be posting on SM?... do people abroad ever be posing with Toyota?.... isn't it always Benz or some exotic car?.... do they ever post 12 of them living in a one room apartment?... isn't it always a huge beautiful house? When they return on vacation... do they ever give the impression they are suffering abroad?... do theybever return wearing with well used clothing?... or brand new?... and brand name? So why wouldn't people believe they are rolling in money abroad and can always afford to dash cash to anyone that asks?
The problem I have with people at home is they almost always ask for fish instead of the tools to help them catch their own fish. They ask for money to pay bills.... buy food.... repair house... to get by... latest phone...etc.... instead of asking for tile cutter to do tile work.... or small equipment to help do a business. At the same time... when people return on vacation.... how many people at home ever voluntarily give the visitor anything to return?... even garri?
Entitlement too much....has long seeped into our DNA.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by Ategberoson(m): 10:43am On Aug 22, 2020
hustla:

until you experience someone you don't offend shoot you while catching fun before you know, no where is safe

are people not dying in USA? one would think Africa covid-19 death toll would be on the high side compare to USA, Africa continent don't even record death reach USA

if abroad is that sweet, E-money and others won't be here. alaye make your money and enjoy what you're running abroad for

13 Likes

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by Nobody: 10:44am On Aug 22, 2020
millionboi2:
Telling person,thy no dey telling person
No qualm bro I survive in Nigeria
I'll survive anywhere in the world cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by Isaac12omini(m): 10:45am On Aug 22, 2020
me I want to go and suffer there so that I come and become king in my country�����
Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by Jaqenhghar: 10:46am On Aug 22, 2020
paulolee:
they are in advanced counties than Nigeria and dts Y we keep disturbing them but truly its not easy for them overthere..
was chatting with ma gee dts working in u k and he said since this year he had send a total of 50,000 pounds to his family in Nigeria and he sounded asif he's being stressed..
i told him dt he should not worry and think abt it too much bcoz they are his family and dts the price he would pay for working there..
The guy must be very rich. Of course he will be stressed. You honestly sweat for every dime there. Except you are a drug dealer. If you are looking for free money , naija is the place to be where a man can just dash you 50k for coming to greet him.

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by Amalekki: 10:46am On Aug 22, 2020
Jaqenhghar:

Also those in the abroad also want to paint a picture that they are living large. Show off all the time and create impressions that they are in one el-dorado.
True, for some but still a case of "empty barrels...".
Replace 'abroad' with Lagos or Abuja - it's still similar story for some in Nigeria. Those who are really doing well abroad are too busy to be showing off even when they are home on vacation.

11 Likes

Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by emkz: 10:47am On Aug 22, 2020
Godtemi:

Very funny
You only know someone who work in the day and night but you don't know someone who went to Europe, study and got a good job
Or someone who travelled on work visa.

I know and I know some who ran away from Europe despite having good jobs because they were paying too much taxes. I am educating people on the end game for those who go abroad without a plan, and they are in the majority. Fault that if you please.
Re: Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad by Nobody: 10:47am On Aug 22, 2020
I only pray for them
One was even complaining how she doesn't understand me cos I don't call to ask after them.I know how most behave,cos they think once you start calling,you are only doing so cos of their money.
I said OK I am sorry I will make amends.
So when I started calling every 2months interval,she indirectly told me I was disturbing her,then I stopped.
I never asked her for any help,even her husband who happened to be my brother sends me on an errand that sometimes engulfs my own money, never mind as far as I am the channel of money sharing to strangers.
I don't complain cos I believe I didn't give anybody money to keep for me and am capable enough to fend for my self with God's assistance.
I only write this because the OP tend to generalize this issue.

15 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Dispatch Rider Killed By BRT Bus In Ojuelegba, Lagos (Graphic Photos) / Nigerian-born US Pilot Addresses His Passengers In English,Yoruba & Pidgin (vid) / Can You Identify These Roads And Bridges In Lagos? (throw-back PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.