Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,117 members, 7,821,832 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:43 PM

Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week - Health (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week (33751 Views)

More Teaching Hospitals Risk Shutdown Over Exodus Of Medical Professionals / The Twin-Tragedy Of Nigerian Doctors' Strike And Mass Exodus / COVID-19: Danger Looms As Nigerians Jettison Safety Measures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by DrFunmisticGlow: 11:36am On Aug 26, 2020
martineverest:
haaa....my sister paid Les than 80k cumulatively for 6years of medical study in federal university.thatsvkess than 250 dollars compared to what Americans and Europeans pay
how much is textbooks, practical fees and so on.

Back in med school, if you broke one beaker, you had to repay with 10. And it wasn't cheap.

2 Likes

Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by DrFunmisticGlow: 11:37am On Aug 26, 2020
frog12:
they are GOING because of GREED. all AFRICAN countries face this PROBLEM. they pay our DOCTORS around 200 thousand a MONTH, and that's not enough for them? GREED. Ghana knows the problem, so THEY MAKE IT difficult for their DOCTORS to run away!
it's because we subsidise education, and make it cheap to STUDY medicine very CHEAP! it's expensive to study medicine in the Western country. You have to get LOANS to study so you are locked until you pay the debt.

their doctors still runaway o. All their PLAB slots were booked for the rest of the year within 4 hours.
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by frog12: 11:39am On Aug 26, 2020
there is a problem. but I agree the fees and current compensation structure is on par. so it is GREED!

to know the problem, go back to what NGIGE said. He said, they can go, we have many DOCTORS!

IT MEANS, we can produce many DOCTORS CHEAPLY following the subsidised fee structure. but the main PROBLEM, is the occupation structure is not FLEXIBLE. IT IS the same problem with lecturers that teach in many federal UNIVERSITIES and also teaching in private UNIVERSITIES. the government is trying to restrict THEM. I think the government is not smart. THEY should make it easy for those that want to open private CLINICS to do so, so they can EARN more!

georgeiyke009:
There is none. You Re the one thinking there is. The school fees for the course and current compensation structure are at par, so the FG is doing no one any favors.

They are free agents and can decide to take their skills elsewhere.

1 Like

Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by frog12: 11:40am On Aug 26, 2020
I have given you one of the answers. Look, the advance countries lock their DOCTORS. THEY ARE not shithole countries smiley smiley

georgeiyke009:
Make them stay then by whatever lock you intend. And then we can see how that works. Ghana is not Nigeria. Their people are timid and not really resourceful. Which other country "locks" a particular profession from travelling anywhere in the world apart from shithole countries? Do you not understand that it will simply make very bright people to not bother studying the course at all? Even if medicine and surgery courses are free but you fail to pay a living wage, people will still leave. Solution is to pay a wage that makes sense. They can go to a different country or simply refuse to practise and go into something else. Also enact a law that must force them to practise at all if they do not want to.

Like i said you are welcome to try. History has shown that in matters like this only a "carrot" works.

Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by DrFunmisticGlow: 11:41am On Aug 26, 2020
martineverest:
don't forget how our government subsidies education compared to what American citizens pay for same education.
the quality is different na.

To travel abroad, the medical doctor, nurse and pharmacist has to write exams, pay for lessons to learn about their system and still work for the useless 120k they are paid

1 Like

Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by frog12: 11:42am On Aug 26, 2020
na LIE. even if doctors from advance nations go, can you PAY THEM?
THEY always come back!
nigerians like to think like ducks, that's why THEY ARE RUNNING AWAY, instead of trying to solve the problems.

DrFunmisticGlow:
their doctors still runaway o. All their PLAB slots were booked for the rest of the year within 4 hours.
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by DrFunmisticGlow: 11:43am On Aug 26, 2020
frog12:
I have given you one of the answers. Look, the advance countries lock their DOCTORS. THEY ARE not shithole countries smiley smiley

they lock their doctors with juicy pay and better working conditions.
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by frog12: 11:46am On Aug 26, 2020
not only that. their DOCTORS have high DEBT from studying medicine. It takes time to pay back. so they can not RUN AWAY.
EVEN if they run away, can you AFFORD THEM? their yearly school fees is around 20 million NAIRA. their working conditions I think are the same. high stress, zero sleep.

DrFunmisticGlow:
they lock their doctors with juicy pay and better working conditions.
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by GreaterFuture1(m): 11:51am On Aug 26, 2020
dokyOloye:
Another feather to Borrowhari's cap
Hmmn
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by Charly68: 11:52am On Aug 26, 2020
Why won't there be exodus when national assembly are earning twenty times of what a consultant is earning in the country ...better they leave for a better life
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by GreaterFuture1(m): 11:54am On Aug 26, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
50000 pounds per anum gross incoms ...less 20 percent incoms tax 10000 pounds out less rent 12000 pounds out less feeding and transport 15000 pounds ....less taxing by Family 2000 pounds =....40000 pounds gone in expends saving....circa 800 pounds monthly x500 =400,000 ......not bad .......
Wdym? What are you trying to Say?
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by Yankee101: 11:57am On Aug 26, 2020
DrFunmisticGlow:
thid is a dumb post. They already charge tuition.

We also have a minimum contribution before leaving. It is called internship and NYSC.

Also if they want to charge tuition, they should charge tuition for all courses.

Nigerian federal institutions do not charge tuition
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by DrFunmisticGlow: 11:58am On Aug 26, 2020
frog12:
na LIE. even if doctors from advance nations go, can you PAY THEM?
THEY always come back!
nigerians like to think like ducks, that's why THEY ARE RUNNING AWAY, instead of trying to solve the problems.

they come back for holidays or outreaches. Once their parents die, or no relatives holds ties them to nigeria, they're gone with the wind

Many of my senior colleague and classmates keep encouraging us to come over. They don't have plans to come back.

Many of those who come back with innovative ideas are met with frustration and sabotage and eventually pack their load vack

3 Likes

Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by Yankee101: 12:01pm On Aug 26, 2020
mmsen:

They aren't "appreciated" there either.

Medical professionals the world over have been complaining about their treatmqnt during the pandemic, lack of equipment and poor management.

It's just that the pay is better.

The pandemic is a once in lifetime occurrence. No one was prepared. No equipment ready made and waiting, no HMB or doctors had previous experience
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by frog12: 12:02pm On Aug 26, 2020
they are frustrated because they are still THINKING like DUCKS. that's why they RAN away to begin with.

when THEY COME BACK, they should go into PRIVATE PRACTICE. AVOID anything government! GOVERNMENT doesn't change immediately. GOVERNMENT bureaucracy will frustrate you!

DrFunmisticGlow:
they come back for holidays or outreaches. Once their parents die, or no relatives holds ties them to nigeria, they're gone with the wind

Many of my senior colleague and classmates keep encouraging us to come over. They don't have plans to come back.

Many of those who come back with innovative ideas are met with frustration and sabotage and eventually pack their load vack
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by HBB1(m): 12:02pm On Aug 26, 2020
frog12:
in Ghana, you have to work for a certain number of years, to pay back government subsidies of your medical education before you emigrate out!

they use a SMART approach. they use to have this PROBLEM. NOW, they want NIGERIANS to pay 1 million dollars to have even a small SHOP. Do we do the same to them? NO!
NIGERIANS are always greedy! everything from government to common citizen.

The Average Ghanaian Doctor earns at least 2 times what his counterpart in Nigeria earns.

The Government provides jobs for 'ALL' of them after their training-- all of them!

I don't know anything about the SMART approach you are talking about, because no bond exists between Doctor and Government ( to my knowledge)-- and I know quite a nunber of Ghanian Doctors.

Ghanian Doctors are not emigrating because their conditions are way better than it is here.

No dey talk wetin no dey oga!

8 Likes

Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by Yankee101: 12:03pm On Aug 26, 2020
xreal:

Did you or your government pay for any of their school fee?

Not even pencil.

Fed unis don't pay tuition. It is govt subsidized with subventions
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by frog12: 12:08pm On Aug 26, 2020
perhaps, the CONDITION has changed now. This issue with GHANA I read this perhaps 5 years or more. I don't remember the exact date, but all AFRICAN countries experience this type of BRAIN DRAIN. In Zimbabwe, the DOCTORS go on strike all the time. Na ECONET owner intervene, and pay the doctors last time. So I know what I am talking about.

So you are telling me, medical students in Ghana are not paying subsidised tuition?

HBB1:

The Average Ghanaian Doctor earns at least 2 times what his counterpart in Nigeria earns.

The Government provides jobs for 'ALL' of them after their training-- all of them!

I don't know anything about the SMART approach you are talking about, because no bond exists between Doctor and Government ( to my knowledge)-- and I know quite a nunber of Ghanian Doctors.

Ghanian Doctors are not emigrating because their conditions are way better than it is here.

Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by HBB1(m): 12:08pm On Aug 26, 2020
frog12:
they are frustrated because they are still THINKING like DUCKS. that's why they RAN away to begin with.

when THEY COME BACK, they should go into PRIVATE PRACTICE. AVOID anything government! GOVERNMENT doesn't change immediately. GOVERNMENT bureaucracy will frustrate you!

And you thinking like an Eagle, what have you achieved for yourself?

You should ask those in Private Practice the pains they are going through...

You think a Hospital is easy to run moreso in Nigeria?

Off your Mic oga!

3 Likes

Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by martineverest(m): 12:08pm On Aug 26, 2020
topboss:
I SUSPECT MORE NIGERIANS WILL GO AND STUDY MEDICINE, AND LEAVE THIS COUNTRY IN THE NEXT 6 YEARS.

NIGERIA WILL PAY DOLLARS TO IMPORT FOREIGN DOCTORS OR USE STUDENT DOCTORS TO TREAT EVERYBODY.
expect senate to review the law of medical college subsidies to meet what's attainable in other countries like ghana
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by drmuchin: 12:12pm On Aug 26, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
Please why are new doctors having hard time getting residency or federal teaching hospital jobs depsite mass migration and low man power

bros i dey this table, can totally relate. naija don cast wallahi
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by DrFunmisticGlow: 12:17pm On Aug 26, 2020
Yankee101:

Nigerian federal institutions do not charge tuition
they do.

And miacallenous fees from department staff for one thing or the other. It is more than just school fees
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by frog12: 12:17pm On Aug 26, 2020
another doctor that COMPLAINS all the time. you work for government, you COMPLAIN.

you work for yourself, you COMPLAIN.

wetin go satisfy una?

HBB1:

And you thinking like an Eagle, what have you achieved for yourself?

You should ask those in Private Practice the pains they are going through...

You think a Hospital is easy to run moreso in Nigeria?

Off your Mic oga!
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by DrFunmisticGlow: 12:18pm On Aug 26, 2020
martineverest:
expect senate to review the law of medical college subsidies to meet what's attainable in other countries like ghana
are they ready to meet the standard of education required to do that then?

Have top equipment and basic amenities?
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by Yankee101: 12:18pm On Aug 26, 2020
DrFunmisticGlow:
they do.

And miacallenous fees from department staff for one thing or the other. It is more than just school fees

Fees no be tuition
Foreigners pay tuition in nigeria not locals

Onwuka stated that it was illegal for any federal university to charge tuition fees, saying that the law had made it clear that no federal university should charge students tuition fees.
He, however, stated that the federal government could not determine payment of fees in private and state universities.

https://theeagleonline.com.ng/fg-queries-nuc-over-charges-of-tuition-fees-by-federal-varsities/

Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by DrFunmisticGlow: 12:19pm On Aug 26, 2020
drmuchin:

bros i dey this table, can totally relate. naija don cast wallahi
residency is a waste of time in this country.

2 Likes

Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by DonX001: 12:19pm On Aug 26, 2020
EVILFOREST:

Chaiiiiiiiii
I can understand.
I embraced mine wholeheartedly when it came because I already knew that NIGERIA was far from getting better.

No COUNTRY gets better with the crop of individuals and ideology we have in Nigeria.
Today, people claim ownership of NATIONAL THIEVES in Nigeria.
You hear things like "Leave him for he is our THIEF", Go after yours and leave ours grin grin grin grin.

That NIGERIA is what it is today, is by the making of NIGERIANS residing in it.
Any day we wake up and decide to FIX it, it will automatically become investors HAVEN.
We have one of the BEST WEATHERS and DISASTER Free environment in the world but the HUMANS therein amaze GOD.
Many NIGERIANS are like WONDERS of the WORLD. READY to DUPE at any slightest opportunity.

You've said it all man!
Nigeria is not likely to improve until the people change their ways, and that is not looking likely at the moment.
Sad, very sad, but true.
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by frog12: 12:19pm On Aug 26, 2020
and for you to know. University of Ghana medical school charges GHANAIANS between 2000 to 6000 cedis per year depending on admission schedule. That's is around 400 to 1000 dollars. That's subsidised education.

HBB1:

Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by obonujoker(m): 12:20pm On Aug 26, 2020
Uae01Dirham:
lol. Mr Frog.

you don chop today ?

Lol grin... He never chop... He's actually speaking as a hungry man grin

1 Like

Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by martineverest(m): 12:26pm On Aug 26, 2020
DrFunmisticGlow:
are they ready to meet the standard of education required to do that then?

Have top equipment and basic amenities?
u think tuition fees will be 20k if they meet the standards?...expect to pay at least 1m as tuition of naija meet international standards
Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by DrFunmisticGlow: 12:26pm On Aug 26, 2020
frog12:

My God you are ignorant.

To hell with this. I'm done explaining.

4 Likes

Re: Doctors’ Exodus Looms As International Flights Resume This Week by martineverest(m): 12:29pm On Aug 26, 2020
HBB1:

liar..average Ghanaian doctors doesn't earn twice more than nigerian doctors

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply)

Does It Really Mean That There Is No Cure For Staphylococcus? / Niger State COVID-19 Patients Protest Over Poor Treatment (Photos, Video) / Beer Vs Wine: Which Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.