Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,110 members, 7,814,894 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:20 PM

Barcelona REFUSE To Hold Meeting With Lionel Messi Unless For A New Contract - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Barcelona REFUSE To Hold Meeting With Lionel Messi Unless For A New Contract (37823 Views)

Roman Abramovich Requests Urgent Meeting With Lionel Messi’s Reps Over Transfer / Super Falcons Protest Unpaid Bonuses At WWC, Refuse To Leave Hotel In France / Asisat Oshoala Pictured With Lionel Messi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Barcelona REFUSE To Hold Meeting With Lionel Messi Unless For A New Contract by obembet(f): 6:54am On Aug 30, 2020
Barcelona have straight up refused to meet with star man Lionel Messi to discuss the terms of an exit, but will only come face-to-face with the club legend in order to arrange a new contract.

Messi has officially informed Barca via burofax that he wishes to exercise a clause which enables him to walk away for free at the end of a season, though Barca rigidly state that a deadline to do so has long since passed.

And now Barca chiefs are so steadfast in their position that they will not meet with Messi and his agent for anything other than his recommitting to the Nou Camp, as report El Periodico in Spain.

The only possible meeting, say Barca sources, would be to extend the contract that currently binds Messi with the club until 2021.

It is reported that Barca and Messi started to talk about this in June, as football started to return from the postponement caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

Upon the return of action however, Barca embarked on a miserable run which saw them slump in the La Liga season and hand the title over to rivals Real Madrid.

eprieve in the Champions League after beating Napoli to book a place in the one-legged semi-final against Bayern Munich in Lisbon, only to be utterly humiliated by an 8-2 defeat.

Messi was seen looking distraught at the final whistle and later sat alone in the dressing room, before later coming to the decision that he wanted out of the club.

President Josep Bartomeu has already played his hand in the saga, by stating he is willing to step aside should Messi make this desire clear.

This 'movement of Bartomeu that does not convince Messi at all' according to Spanish reports, with the Argentine still hopeful of engineering a move to reunite with Pep Guardiola at Manchester City.

Barca maintain Messi still remains bound by his buy-out clause, which stands at as astronomical £625million (€700m).

Source: https://amp.marca.com/en/football/barcelona/2020/08/28/5f4933cc22601d24668b45d9.html

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Barcelona REFUSE To Hold Meeting With Lionel Messi Unless For A New Contract by gentle136(m): 7:05am On Aug 30, 2020
Barcelona management are ungrateful set of people.

313 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Barcelona REFUSE To Hold Meeting With Lionel Messi Unless For A New Contract by Abraham22(m): 7:07am On Aug 30, 2020
They should allow him to go pls

124 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Barcelona REFUSE To Hold Meeting With Lionel Messi Unless For A New Contract by LawLab247: 7:10am On Aug 30, 2020
Chai

1 Like

Re: Barcelona REFUSE To Hold Meeting With Lionel Messi Unless For A New Contract by Leo1994A(m): 7:13am On Aug 30, 2020
I think that LM10 should now change his parent club Barcelona. I am sorry for hurting the feelings of Barca fans. But in this case, I have always considered CR7 to be more versatile than LM10. CR7 has played for different clubs in different leagues and my friends keep one thing in mind that playing for a single club for many years is much easier than playing for multiple clubs were the conditions change accordingly.

154 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Barcelona REFUSE To Hold Meeting With Lionel Messi Unless For A New Contract by kheny12(m): 7:24am On Aug 30, 2020
Confused Board of Barcelona.They didn't want messi to leave simply because of their selfish interest.

77 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Barcelona REFUSE To Hold Meeting With Lionel Messi Unless For A New Contract by obembet(f): 7:27am On Aug 30, 2020
gentle136:

barca can't see the way madrid parted ways with Ronaldo..... they are afraid because they know that without messi barca is like a normal average team

170 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Barcelona REFUSE To Hold Meeting With Lionel Messi Unless For A New Contract by theoneJabulani(m): 7:30am On Aug 30, 2020
Part of me wishes Messi pulls a Luis Figo and heads over to Madrid but I know he is too loyal to Barcelona and it's fans to do that. This board should show him respect and let him leave

Contact me for US and UK used laptops. Free delivery available in Lagos payment on delivery available nationwide.

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Barcelona REFUSE To Hold Meeting With Lionel Messi Unless For A New Contract by paulolee(m): 7:34am On Aug 30, 2020
this Barcelona board should stop disgracing their fans na...jus hold this meeting and grant loe whatever he wishes because he had payed his dues in full
the contract says he can walk away by june bt covid was thr main factor...jus allow messi be happy and try build the team for the life after messi..
pls jus stop all this antics because the board is adding soo much frustration to barca fans around the world and besides we all know messi never planned such a controversial departure..

52 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Barcelona REFUSE To Hold Meeting With Lionel Messi Unless For A New Contract by theoneJabulani(m): 7:36am On Aug 30, 2020
paulolee:
this Barcelona board should stop disgracing their fans na...jus hold this meeting and grant loe whatever he wishes because he had payed his dues in full
the contract says he can walk away by june bt covid was thr main factor...jus allow messi be happy and try build the team for the life after messi..
pls jus stop all this antics because the board is adding soo much frustration to barca fans around the world and besides we all know messi never planned such a controversial departure..
sorry for the pain grin grin

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Barcelona REFUSE To Hold Meeting With Lionel Messi Unless For A New Contract by paulolee(m): 7:36am On Aug 30, 2020
kheny12:
Confused Board of Barcelona.They didn't want messi to leave simply because of their selfish interest.
swears, cnt imagine the way they are treating the greatest player in football, and this same board once said they cnt stop him if chooses to execute that walk away clause in june but now going against thier words after all he had done for barca, Humans truly have short memories...

82 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Barcelona REFUSE To Hold Meeting With Lionel Messi Unless For A New Contract by Evans2019: 7:38am On Aug 30, 2020
Na by force to sign new contract, let the man go joor. Are they saying they can’t do without Messi ? Instead of them to be scouting for young talented footballers they are worried about a guy who has less than 5 years to play in football, Mumu Barcelona

68 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Barcelona REFUSE To Hold Meeting With Lionel Messi Unless For A New Contract by paulolee(m): 7:41am On Aug 30, 2020
gentle136:
very ungrateful sets of people, they should jus know that the world is watching and i fear if messi finally leaves barca very angry or if he leaves with a bad mood...they should jus allow him go and be happy, i dnt see any reason for the board trying to destroy the loyalty and legacy dt messi created with barca..
messi have been in barca all tru his best years and even turned down massive deals to move especially when city and PSG came with huge deals...this barca board are ingrates

70 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Barcelona REFUSE To Hold Meeting With Lionel Messi Unless For A New Contract by Andersonjr(m): 7:59am On Aug 30, 2020
Barca fans are now feeling what Madrid fans felt in the summer of 2018 grin

74 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Barcelona REFUSE To Hold Meeting With Lionel Messi Unless For A New Contract by Vyzz: 8:05am On Aug 30, 2020
The best thing Lionel Messi can do is to retire in Barcelona....

If it were when he was young eheh...

But now.. M how much change will he make in his new club...

The see him as a legend now in Barcelona and will only see him as such if he leaves...

But if he retires their...

He will be like a God. There will be no talk of Barcelona without mentioning him

5 Likes

Re: Barcelona REFUSE To Hold Meeting With Lionel Messi Unless For A New Contract by SoftP(m): 10:20am On Aug 30, 2020
Let him honor his contract terms; he wasn’t sleeping when he signed for it

5 Likes

Re: Barcelona REFUSE To Hold Meeting With Lionel Messi Unless For A New Contract by ElvisPresley(m): 10:20am On Aug 30, 2020
Messi needs to end his illustrious career at Barça... He might flop moving to another club.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Barcelona REFUSE To Hold Meeting With Lionel Messi Unless For A New Contract by GeneralPula: 10:20am On Aug 30, 2020
Messi may end up not leaving Barca..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Barcelona REFUSE To Hold Meeting With Lionel Messi Unless For A New Contract by Dalil8: 10:20am On Aug 30, 2020

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Barcelona REFUSE To Hold Meeting With Lionel Messi Unless For A New Contract by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:21am On Aug 30, 2020
My opinion: Messi can just quietly see out his one year and get a good send forth next season. The case he's dragging is dicey. If Barca comes out to explain to the world what they v been offering him in the past, everyone ll see him as n ungrateful son.
Messi's playing the silence game to blackmail Barca. That's how he always do to make people believe he's a saint.
Barcelona is saving Messi's image by not coming out publicly to reveal the full details of Messi's contract. The day they talk, Messi ll be hated by every naive Barca fans who thinks Messi is being witch hunted.
Does he think they can't win cups again?

The logical explanation.
1. Messi should respect the club n see out his contract. He's seen as a gentle lamb. Dies he think Barca can't win cups anymore? Where's his lotalty & helping out Barca in crisis

2. No matter what's the crime of Bartomeau, he has ran Barca with his best abilities. He even. Offered Messi at his age huge contract that warranted that huge buyout clause. Messi enjoyed the wages when he's paid. He should not be an ungrateful son. Nobody is hating him at Barcelona so why start something that ll cause hate to him from fans very soon. He's now acting disloyal for not returning to training.

3. If it's CR7 that acted this way, his criticism ll v topped all major newspapers worldwide.
Most people ll say he's proud, he's bad, he's a cheat etc. Now it's Messi that acting immature here and like an over pampered boy.

https://www.nairaland.com/6086040/lionel-messi-refuses-return-barcelona/2#93379435

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Barcelona REFUSE To Hold Meeting With Lionel Messi Unless For A New Contract by Openbusiness: 10:21am On Aug 30, 2020
Later some Penaldo fans will be saying rubbish that Messi doesn't want to leave Barcelona. Can you see that it has been Barcelona tying him down to their club since all this years? Nobody wants to tie Ronaldo down. Man U sold him off like used okrika, Real Madrid sold him off like Oversize bra, Juventus will soon sell him off like expired Fura de nunu. But everybody is ready to dieeee der to retain Messi. Can you see who the real GOAT is now? Messi no be Penaldo mate @ all @ all. The difference between Messi and Penaldo is like the difference between Donald Trump and Buhari grin

51 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Barcelona REFUSE To Hold Meeting With Lionel Messi Unless For A New Contract by braveboy64(m): 10:21am On Aug 30, 2020
He doesn't deserve this

2 Likes

Re: Barcelona REFUSE To Hold Meeting With Lionel Messi Unless For A New Contract by Rebuke: 10:21am On Aug 30, 2020
Lols. They simply don't want to let him go.

That's what happens when yhu know yhur onions.

While some maybe begging to stay, this one is being begged to stay.

I am sure there's no Club in the world that will not see it as a honor to have Messi joined their club.

Greatness personified.

5 Likes

Re: Barcelona REFUSE To Hold Meeting With Lionel Messi Unless For A New Contract by MANNABBQGRILLS: 10:22am On Aug 30, 2020
No club will like to lose their best player.

Especially when you have the Greatest and Best player in the world.

The GOAT of all other goats!

Barca should let him go, Messi has given everything he can to the club,
He has paid his due........in FULL!

When the going was good......

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Barcelona REFUSE To Hold Meeting With Lionel Messi Unless For A New Contract by martineverest(m): 10:22am On Aug 30, 2020
Leo1994A:
I think that LM10 should now change his parent club Barcelona. I am sorry for hurting the feelings of Barca fans. But in this case, I have always considered CR7 to be more versatile than LM10. CR7 has played for different clubs in different leagues and my friends keep one thing in mind that playing for a single club for many years is much easier than playing for multiple clubs were the conditions change accordingly.
I clean don't know what versatility means... playing as a midfielder,striker,assister ,passer etc is more versatile than a striker.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Barcelona REFUSE To Hold Meeting With Lionel Messi Unless For A New Contract by kenex4ever(m): 10:22am On Aug 30, 2020
Leo1994A:
Dumb post

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Barcelona REFUSE To Hold Meeting With Lionel Messi Unless For A New Contract by jericco1(m): 10:22am On Aug 30, 2020
Bros no dey go anywhere, if he wanted he would have done the right thing at the right time. undecided undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Barcelona REFUSE To Hold Meeting With Lionel Messi Unless For A New Contract by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:22am On Aug 30, 2020
gentle136:
Messi is the most ungrateful & chicken brain footballer of the 21st century. He has talent but he's greedy.
You this fan, are you aware Barca has been paying the midget the highest wages for a footballer over the past four years?
Are you aware if Barca let him go freely this season, it's a bad decision cos Messi's contract holds till 2021.
Why can't you advise your ewure to stay till end of his contract & show Barca how useless they are without him or he should call their bluff now & face a lawsuit he ll never recover from. He's a man who uses his silence to gain sympathy of people like you while tarnishing images of others. He's a devlish coward

18 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

AFCON Trophy Missing At CAF Headquarters In Egypt / Lionel Messi Announces Wedding Date / African Teams With The Highest AFCON Medals In History

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.