Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,110 members, 7,825,504 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:25 PM

How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. - Business (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. (77105 Views)

Traders At Alaba Rago Market Cleaning Up After Closure (Pictures) / Traders At Alaba Rago Marker Rush To Clean-up The Market (Pictures) / Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by stieyven(m): 9:46pm On Sep 02, 2020
mabeni:
BEN, you and your colleagues will never know peace for defrauding me my hard earned money. You even had the guts to tell me that you too wants to driver BENZ.
It is written, "love your enemies and bless those who curse you and pray for those who despitefully use you. LUKE 6 :28
You'll do well to receive Jesus into your life, tomorrow may be too late. John 3 :16
Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by SEGLIZ: 9:46pm On Sep 02, 2020
puremaker7:
this is what this people are doing in Ghana, Nd you guys want Ghanians to like them.

this is just too disheartening. no one, not even one, you can't turning around and boldly point one individual you can trust.
this is just too bad with our overwhelming population every mind is gone corrupt, can't really fix it, we now exhibit same nasty trait abroad!?

1 Like

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by SEGLIZ: 9:51pm On Sep 02, 2020
Olaolufred:

You spoke out my mind.
I have been a crusader of this point for years.
The people are the problem.
Our day to day life on the streets isn't different from what is happening at the top.
But Hyposrisy won't allow us take responsibility.

You know my pain?
All of them will go to mass on Sunday morning and drop offerings from the cursed money.

The preachers sometimes won't even preach against such.

this is so weakening.
can just fathom how we got here!?
Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by Hifivetech(m): 9:53pm On Sep 02, 2020
Bcs majority of those you mentioned don't have the mind to pay huge sum of money to rent a single shop...most igbos have biz mind. Shop rent there no be child play.
Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by FundRaiserNg: 9:53pm On Sep 02, 2020
OP thank God you left with something.
I had a similar experience years back in Opa Iweka market Onitsha.
The first and last time I would visit Onitsha market alone to buy something, especially electronics.

Your only crime was that you went alone.

Next time, if ever go with someone who knows the market well.

When mine happened many years back I almost cried my eyes out because I had actually saved that money to buy a very good sound system, as it was called then. I didn't get anything close to what I went for and I was almost rubbed of the remaining money with me and declared a thief to be stoned and burned with tires. From just two boys that I met in the shop when I came they became 6 boys with me alone in the shop. They fought me and spoilt some things I had already bought before getting to their shop.

It was God that kept me alive and saved me from there hand.

It was a very traumatic experience I didn't forget in a hurry.

Kpele... Try to get over it and move on. Better things to come your way... Okay?

1 Like

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by seanwilliam(m): 9:55pm On Sep 02, 2020
Sorry op, me I no dey buy secondhand thing no matter the amount.. everything thing I have na new and from store I buy am.. from fridge to TV to shelf to chair to home theater..

There was a time I wanted to buy iPhone 11 for 200k, here on nairaland, naso I kon sit down ask myself, does it make sense atall, what's wrong in finding the money complete and get new one ..... Naso I take the money buy Carted s9+ and I dey use am with samsung I bought last year..I use the remaining balance buy clothescheesy

If u no have money to buy new electronics no dey buy am atall..wait till your money complete and go to certified store.. loosing opportunity is better than loosing money..

No matter how smart u are, except u get solid connect for alaba, dem go dump u

4 Likes

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by Autotech312(m): 9:57pm On Sep 02, 2020
majamajic:

While growing up I paid landlord in lagos after payment he demanded extra 28k for kitchen cos it was not attached to the house , he didn't tell me until I park in , I told him no , he said if I don't want , he will remove agent and agreement money I paid him and refund balance ( no agent I came directly ) , that he must collect the money , or I forget the agent and agreement fee, and I must come after he rent the house to another person that he has used my money , I paid another 28k
A Yoruba man , so it's in us all

At international airport , I want change $100 , one man told me 31k , another said he will buy 32k , I gave him the $100 , he handed me the 32k , from the other end the money is 32k , turn it and count from another end it's 28k , an hausa person

Let's face the truth, it is more with this people.

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by Drizzy5001(m): 9:59pm On Sep 02, 2020
Sorry O. P next time don't go to Alaba, computer village or Ladipo alone, go with someone who knows the business, I've been scammed severally in upper iweka(onitsha) too, especially in Emeka offor shopping plaza na devils full there.

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by CAUSTIC002: 10:01pm On Sep 02, 2020
op, from 55k to 25k u sef no fear? But sincerely, those alaba guys are wicked, I also experienced same when I went to purchase a
32' smart tv for a client, paid 55k and they refused to release the goods, after much argument, l parted with extra 5k, got home to discover the tv was region locked to asia. so painful. Also happened to a friend, he ended up collecting fake Chinese woofer after much argument, funny thing is there is a market task force thats suppose to regulate these things, but they choose to ignore them. All sorts of fraud are perpetrated there daily, l lost so much money in that market back then.
Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by dammyagboola(m): 10:02pm On Sep 02, 2020
My brother, just leave everything for God. That is their way in Alaba International Market. I have had similar experience. They are all Ibo boys. If you want to buy electronics next stay away from Alaba.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by Asianjollof007: 10:04pm On Sep 02, 2020
uvie66:
What is tribalistic here, 99% of the traders in these markets are Ibos, because they will never rent a shop to another tribe. Have you ever seen a Yoruba Man, aboki, or Calabar Man selling in these places ?

Bro, don't mind those hypocrites. It's funny how they are refuting this but they are very quick to criticize and degrade other tribes esp on nairaland. Stupid people, tribalistic mofos!

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by Nobody: 10:05pm On Sep 02, 2020
mabeni:
you are just an attention seeker. What is wrong in me beating down the price of the good I'm buying?so, You expected me to pay 55k because he said so?
Is this used sound system below to big to be priced for 25k? Ehn?
don't mind dat dude. I got something way better than this for 25k on the street. Genuine tokunbo Samsung with Bluetooth, bluray. Next time visit Odolowu at Cele express.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by ekitimanalways(m): 10:06pm On Sep 02, 2020
mabeni:
embarassedi went to Alaba international market to buy a set of Tokunbo Home Theatre. Luckily/ unfortunately for me i asked around and i was directed to a shop where i would find my choice. I got to the shop and i specifically told them I want a SAMSUNG Home Theater and the search began. They tested 3 diferrent sets but the last one got my attention and I asked for the price.

The seller (shop owner) told me it was 55k and i negotiated it to 25k and he asked me pay. I requested for his account details but he declined saying he doesn't take transfers. I quickly went to use POS, came back and asked for the SAMSUNG SETS i had priced be tested to avoid foul play. It was tested and i confirmed it. I paid, receipt was issued to me but without going through my receipt, I wrote my name and signed because i never suspected scam.

Now, it was time for me to leave with my purchases and the boy boy told me "the engine/DVD to the home theater i bought does not support or work with electricity but strictly works for only generator ". I asked him to repeat himself and he did. The statement didn't make sense to me. He then suggested he could swap the engine/DVD of the SAMSUNG Home Theater i bought for another one that uses electricity. I sensed foul play and asked him why he didn't tell me these before making payment.

Note: the owner of the shop had gone out when boy boy was telling me this.
Luckily, he came back to meet us arguing. I narrated what his boy told me about the sound system they sold for me he affirmed to it that the engine/DVD doesn't use electricity. I got confused and demanded for a refund. These guys refused. Insisting I take another DVD...i refused either that i preferred what i bought. They refused me going with what I bought. This infuriated a lot of noise and here comes in an elderly man who claimed to be the landlord of the shop.

He asked me what was wrong, i told him and he slapped the Boy boy. At this point, i knew I was being scammed but was helpless as well. It was just only me against Alaba boys. The elderly man asked me to calm down that he was there to help me out bla bla bla and requested to see the receipt that was issued to me me. Lo and behold, the subwoofer and the other 3 small speakers was not included in the receipt. They only wrote the engine/DVD they claimed doesn't use nepa light and even boldly put NO WOOFER & NO SPEAKERS. (indirect or indirectly, i only paid 25k for just the DVD player )

The truth was, i never saw these errors before the arrival of the elderly man. he pointed out the errors and finally told me they don't refund money in ALABA that it was all a trick and the trick was for me to pay any amount cos the sound system i bought was more than 25k that i would have to add more money for me to go with it. I insisted i don't have more money to add and they insisted i take a Chinese product. I no gree.

To cut it short, i finally found out the elderly man was part of them. His job was to distract and calm their victim down. At the end of it all, i only got the subwoofer and 3 small speakers. The ENGINE/DVD was not given to me.

This was my sad experience today in the hands of some heartless Nigerians.

That is the face of the SHOP OWNER. TRUE CALLER shows his name as BEN.

acunnon, do you know this man?
Wetin u dey find for Alaba International! I avoid Alaba International like COVID-19... One could get a brand new one from Jumia within the range of 25,000 Naira.
Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by fowlyansh181(m): 10:07pm On Sep 02, 2020
Collins4u1:
How are you pricing a complete set of home theater 25k.
its a market, he did nothing wrong
Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by Nobody: 10:10pm On Sep 02, 2020
Autotech312:

Please face reality and stop being defensive: no apology, IBO's are naturally fraudulent. It runs in the blood.
stop this tomfoolery. So all the politicians who embezzle money in Nigeria are Igbos? The yahoo boys and other thieves in Nigeria are all Igbos? The omoniles who sell land to 3 different people and disappear are also Igbos? Learn to be detribalised, it will save u a lot headache.

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by stanvesco(m): 10:12pm On Sep 02, 2020
majamajic:

He supposed report to market Union , they know all the tricks

Yesso....
And invite police...
Dey just intimidated him and he fell for it
Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by FundRaiserNg: 10:18pm On Sep 02, 2020
stanvesco:

Yesso....
And invite police...
Dey just intimidated him and he fell for it

You call that mere intimidation? Not sure if you have been in that situation before. Well I don't wish anyone to be.

They will not allow you to leave untill you agree to their terms. Worse is that if you try to raise alarm they will shout Ole on the person and jungle justice may take place instantly.
Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by Prymestrr(m): 10:19pm On Sep 02, 2020
sencekompis:

[s]Take your time GOD willing AMOTEKUN will do so gently, we are civilised people. Educate your folks to be mindful and respect there host all over Africa cities or else they will be push back home with massive punishments. THE STUPID ONE THINK OTHER'S ARE FOOLS. [/s]

They are waiting for you and your amotekun hunters. IGP your Fulani slave master's henchman will soon disorganize your educated and mindful hunters association.

Pray your hatred for Igbos doesn't kill you first sad
Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by Nobody: 10:21pm On Sep 02, 2020
mabeni:
will amplifier or a DVD player work with it? Cos somebody told me that it Samsung dvd player that was not given to me is the ENGINE. and just any how dvd can't work with subwoofer.
get another 10-15k for the engine. Just go for cheaper brand like Toshiba and Philips
Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by stanvesco(m): 10:25pm On Sep 02, 2020
FundRaiserNg:
OP thank God you left with something.
I had a similar experience years back in Opa Iweka market Onitsha.
The first and last time I would visit Onitsha market alone to buy something, especially electronics.

Your only crime was that you went alone.

Next time, if ever go with someone who knows the market well.

When mine happened many years back I almost cried my eyes out because I had actually saved that money to buy a very good sound system, as it was called then. I didn't get anything close to what I went for and I was almost rubbed of the remaining money with me and declared a thief to be stoned and burned with tires. From just two boys that I met in the shop when I came they became 6 boys with me alone in the shop. They fought me and spoilt some things I had already bought before getting to their shop.

It was God that kept me alive and saved me from there hand.

It was a very traumatic experience I didn't forget in a hurry.

Kpele... Try to get over it and move on. Better things to come your way... Okay?

Similar thing happened to me at Ariaria market in Aba..
I bought clothe materials worth 250k from one single shop and needed to pack it into a nylon...then into a sack....

Naso the owner Waka comot for shop and left me with some boys( unknown to them,I understood dia trade.....me when Dem born inside Lagos)

After loading the materials I was billed 20k for the packing ( lol....I bought material from you...you out am inside Nylon and u want me to pay you? Are you maddd?)

The owner came and now said I should find them 15,000 naira ( lol, nkita tapuo amu ghi dia)

I didn't engage them oh.....jejely I took bike straight to police headquarters and lied to them that I came to buy goods and they hijacked my money and refused to give me goods..... ( I speak igbo,Hausa and Yoruba so I was just speaking to any officer in his language)

Na van of police i use reach market.....
Aswearugwwwwwd come and see confusion......dey never saw dat move.....the owner denied what happened.....and me I demanded my money!!!!!!

I no buy agaaaaaaain!
See drama.....

Lastlast he paid to carry my goods straight to the luxurious park......he still gave police something.....
He still bought maltina and okpa for me...

Police can still be your friend!

10 Likes

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by femijay8271(m): 10:26pm On Sep 02, 2020
m140:

I just hope no be that same Ben, wey sell bad tv set for me that year, that guy generation go suffer like curse in igodo movie, oh! I remember na sir lefty do am for me, na Saturday, them just tell me say make I check receipt, baba receipts no get address, Television wey I carry go no reach 15k, na him i carry go house for 40k, i reach house cried like a baby, my wife just dey use style console me say e dey okay , i been wan die that day,,, my baby was just looking at me like what's wrong with this man, baba you go take heart ooo. If Nigeria divides today non of the country will be okay, aswear, we all dont care even if na same language. We too bad. Baba carry eye ooo. If you too set waka for Alaba market , those guys go notice you, no too branch too much shop buy wetin you wan buy ,comot, no price too much places, no look for too cheap cus na sende you go carry last.

i don laugh tire... I can relate very well expecially if u con dey display for ur wife and pikin. Dem go be lyk wetin dey do dix man like dix?
Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by RPirez: 10:27pm On Sep 02, 2020
SEGLIZ:

that same Benz would kill him.
I repeat, government isn't our problem but we as Nigerians are our own enemy. not matter how genuine a thing is we Nigerians would turn it fraudulent.

Okoro pple at it again. They're the biggest problems in Nigeria. angry
Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by stanvesco(m): 10:31pm On Sep 02, 2020
FundRaiserNg:

You call that mere intimidation? Not sure if you have been in that situation before. Well I don't wish anyone to be.

They will not allow you to leave untill you agree to their terms. Worse is that if you try to raise alarm they will shout Ole on the person and jungle justice may take place instantly.

Bro.....even as a university student I was trading in very dangerous terrains.....idumota, balogun, Alaba, Ariaria market ,kanto kwari in Kano.....

If you are street smart and sharp..... U would rarely fall for such...you need to stay verrrrrry sharp!

Anyway lessons learnt....next time he should quietly walk away and involve authorities shaaaaarply!
Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by Onlinealaba(m): 10:31pm On Sep 02, 2020
dangoteinlaw:
acunnon is the biggest thieve here on nairaland. Him and onlinealaba are all together and thats what they do for a living, scamming ppl. I can relate with the op coz so many has fallen victim right in my very own eyes. If you like take 10 soldiers to go and buy there they will still scam you. Ibos are thieves naturally, its in their nature. Thats the training inculcated in them by their parents. I rather buy online on jumia and get scammed than those ibo thieves
After a busy day from work and got to check on nairaland only for me to see this, it would have been better if you provided a proof of where I scammed you or anybody, that someone was scammed at alaba doesn't make everyone same, I have my office that you can check on me and transact businesses, it's a pity people are still falling for these cheap scams in Alaba well I wouldn't say much but again the tribalistic and bias comments of yours should be checked by the mods.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by stanvesco(m): 10:36pm On Sep 02, 2020
FundRaiserNg:

Walk away....walk to a police station.....fine tune ur story or exaggerate it....dey will pack everybody to station lastlast......
Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by blackfase(m): 10:36pm On Sep 02, 2020
Alaba! Alaba!! Alaba!!!...ting wey my eye don see for that Alaba, uhnnn no be here. Anyone planning on patronizing Alaba, must over shine eyes, over soji brain. Even tho i don fall wella, can never happen to me again. Long story short, that place is a den of scammers, but there are also genuine ballers there too.

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by majamajic(m): 10:37pm On Sep 02, 2020
Autotech312:

Let's face the truth, it is more with this people.

They are the ones mostly inside business , my friend was duped in ajah , he bought land from omo onile

When people talk about computer village scam , I was at computer village I noticed that most people that do all that are not mostly the people we all think

1 Like

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by Nobody: 10:38pm On Sep 02, 2020
kenmaro:
@mabeni

Budgeting a whopping 55k for a tokumbo sound system is not a wise thought. That amount will get you a brand new home theater with peace of mind considering all the stress and humiliation you went through.

Spending such amount for an item that was probably thrown off by the first user maybe due to some faults you know not is waste of fund.

Next time, get a brand new item within your budget that would come with a warranty without stress from certified electronic shops.

Tokumbo electronics are a waste of funds most times.
which brand new are you talking about? This fake chinco electronics everywhere? Even the trusted dealers sell substandard products. People buy tokunbo not because it's cheap, but mostly because of the European quality they cone with.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by edochie12: 10:38pm On Sep 02, 2020
mabeni:
embarassedi went to Alaba international market to buy a set of Tokunbo Home Theatre. Luckily/ unfortunately for me i asked around and i was directed to a shop where i would find my choice. I got to the shop and i specifically told them I want a SAMSUNG Home Theater and the search began. They tested 3 diferrent sets but the last one got my attention and I asked for the price.

The seller (shop owner) told me it was 55k and i negotiated it to 25k and he asked me pay. I requested for his account details but he declined saying he doesn't take transfers. I quickly went to use POS, came back and asked for the SAMSUNG SETS i had priced be tested to avoid foul play. It was tested and i confirmed it. I paid, receipt was issued to me but without going through my receipt, I wrote my name and signed because i never suspected scam.

Now, it was time for me to leave with my purchases and the boy boy told me "the engine/DVD to the home theater i bought does not support or work with electricity but strictly works for only generator ". I asked him to repeat himself and he did. The statement didn't make sense to me. He then suggested he could swap the engine/DVD of the SAMSUNG Home Theater i bought for another one that uses electricity. I sensed foul play and asked him why he didn't tell me these before making payment.

Note: the owner of the shop had gone out when boy boy was telling me this.
Luckily, he came back to meet us arguing. I narrated what his boy told me about the sound system they sold for me he affirmed to it that the engine/DVD doesn't use electricity. I got confused and demanded for a refund. These guys refused. Insisting I take another DVD...i refused either that i preferred what i bought. They refused me going with what I bought. This infuriated a lot of noise and here comes in an elderly man who claimed to be the landlord of the shop.

He asked me what was wrong, i told him and he slapped the Boy boy. At this point, i knew I was being scammed but was helpless as well. It was just only me against Alaba boys. The elderly man asked me to calm down that he was there to help me out bla bla bla and requested to see the receipt that was issued to me me. Lo and behold, the subwoofer and the other 3 small speakers was not included in the receipt. They only wrote the engine/DVD they claimed doesn't use nepa light and even boldly put NO WOOFER & NO SPEAKERS. (indirect or indirectly, i only paid 25k for just the DVD player )

The truth was, i never saw these errors before the arrival of the elderly man. he pointed out the errors and finally told me they don't refund money in ALABA that it was all a trick and the trick was for me to pay any amount cos the sound system i bought was more than 25k that i would have to add more money for me to go with it. I insisted i don't have more money to add and they insisted i take a Chinese product. I no gree.

To cut it short, i finally found out the elderly man was part of them. His job was to distract and calm their victim down. At the end of it all, i only got the subwoofer and 3 small speakers. The ENGINE/DVD was not given to me.

This was my sad experience today in the hands of some heartless Nigerians.

That is the face of the SHOP OWNER. TRUE CALLER shows his name as BEN.

acunnon, do you know this man?
u made a mistake, u shouldn't have listen to that guy,that first one that they gave to u is the original one,just dat the amount u want to pay no reach the main price.
Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by Coolcalmcollect(m): 10:45pm On Sep 02, 2020
mabeni:
BEN, you and your colleagues will never know peace for defrauding me my hard earned money. You even had the guts to tell me that you too wants to driver BENZ.
next time you sef don't get overly excited when buying things, check receipt and test, have the total items you're buying in your hands plus receipts well stating what you have in your hands before payment. no dey loose guard for Lagos o
Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by CAUSTIC002: 10:45pm On Sep 02, 2020
comshots:
They also tried to duped me 2 years ago.But I outsmart them.On my way to Alaba,one of the hustler waylaid me and persuaded me to follow him to a shop where I would get a good tokumbo LCD tv.I followed him to a shop where I met the real owner.After bargaining for a 32inch LCD for #15k.The owner initially told me it was #20k before I beat the price down.
After testing it and and I was satisfied He wrote a receipt for me and asked an aboki to helped me carry it to where I don't know.I settled the other hustler that took me to the shop not knowing he is a criminal in disguise.As I was following the aboki guy behind he was taking me to a different direction that I didn't know.So I held the tv and told him to hand it over to me that I would carry it by myself.See me see aboki.The man no gree.As I held the tv firmly in public and I was shouting at him, another tout who was not present at the shop that I bought my tv came with my money say him no sell again.He stretched his hand to give me my money,so I told him to count it first.As he counted it #500 was short.So I told him to complete the money before I would allow the aboki guy to go with the tv.As he handed the #500 and counted it it was complete.I took it from him and quickly left the market.Those traders are criminals.
32' tv for 15k? haba grin
Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by Nobody: 10:48pm On Sep 02, 2020
lalabrother:

Oga there are even cheaper home theatre on Konga, jumia or Bevic store...
you call this thing home theatre? Hahahahah

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (17) (Reply)

100 Naira Denomination In Circulation Are Worn Out. Who Else Has Noticed This? / The Value Of CFA To Naira As At Today / Today's Naira Exchange Rate Against The Dollar, Pounds And Euro

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.