Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,694 members, 7,831,167 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:44 PM

About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes - Culture (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes (57570 Views)

Young Virgins Initiated Into Womanhood In Ogu Town, (OKRIKA) Rivers State / Common Surnames Among Igbos And Their Northern Neigbours / 19 Young Virgins Initiated Into Womanhood In Okrika, Rivers State. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Keraxes: 8:36pm On Sep 06, 2020
darfay:

But Fulani burnt down Oyo ile and captured illorin which they own and control till this day
Oloripelebe fulani never burnt down Oyo ile. It’s time to take your drugs ipob
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by BornRicch(m): 10:01pm On Sep 06, 2020
Keraxes:

Edo cultist and armed robbers

Lazy touts and meat sellers. Agbero slaves weakling tribe.

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by darfay: 10:04pm On Sep 06, 2020
Keraxes:

Oloripelebe fulani never burnt down Oyo ile. It’s time to take your drugs ipob

Wetin be ipob?
Yoruba claim to be the most educated both they can never mention and identify 5 ethnic groups in their country. Good thing Oyo was burnt to ashes
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Keraxes: 11:02pm On Sep 06, 2020
darfay:

Wetin be ipob?
Yoruba claim to be the most educated both they can never mention and identify 5 ethnic groups in their country. Good thing Oyo was burnt to ashes
Oyo was burnt to ashes in your flat empty dumb skull okay
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Keraxes: 11:02pm On Sep 06, 2020
BornRicch:

Lazy touts and meat sellers. Agbero slaves weakling tribe.
Stupid cultist weak son of olosho smelly pussy mother. Tell your stinking Borehole pussy Mother to go to hell
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by BornRicch(m): 2:35am On Sep 07, 2020
Keraxes:

Stupid cultist weak son of olosho smelly pussy mother. Tell your stinking Borehole pussy Mother to go to hell

Pussy ass.... bastard lazy agbero. Slaves generations.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Keraxes: 6:36am On Sep 07, 2020
BornRicch:

Pussy ass.... bastard lazy agbero. Slaves generations.
Weak ass, wretched foolish tribe from ugly foolish oba of benin lineage. Foolish son of borehole pussy olofo olosho LovePeddler you call a mother
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by LukasPodolski: 11:02am On Sep 07, 2020
darfay:

The fulani name for Oyo
They gave you your name
They gave you an emir
They gave you your religion

I mean no harm just stating the obvious

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by ibiso1986: 2:31pm On Sep 07, 2020
EM123:
name de part of rivers dat bear those name.
Kalabari, Bonny, Opobo.. Strictly the Riverine area
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by BornRicch(m): 2:51pm On Sep 07, 2020
Keraxes:

Weak ass, wretched foolish tribe from ugly foolish oba of benin lineage. Foolish son of borehole pussy olofo olosho LovePeddler you call a mother

Slaves generation. Weakling tribe!!!!
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Keraxes: 3:51pm On Sep 07, 2020
BornRicch:

Slaves generation. Weakling tribe!!!!
Oloribu generation from weak ugly oba of Benin lineage
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Nowenuse: 8:54pm On Sep 07, 2020
lexy2014:

First, is "manager" a western name or a word? Second, is d topic about indigenes of Delta State or indigenes of Rivers State? 3rd, do u have kalabari in Delta State?

You said Ijaws don't answer these funny Western names and I have you an example... Why then these unreasonable questions?
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Nowenuse: 8:55pm On Sep 07, 2020
Keraxes:

You are entirely wrong. Yoruba is coined from the word Oyo. Go and make your research very well okay

Who did the coining? What does it mean? And what significance and purpose does it serve?
When was the coining done?
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Nowenuse: 8:58pm On Sep 07, 2020
darfay:

I find plateau names very amusing in a good way that is

Many people do.
All African names are fascinating and sometimes amusing. That is why we must hold them strong.

2 Likes

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Keraxes: 9:03pm On Sep 07, 2020
Nowenuse:

Who did the coining? What does it mean? And what significance and purpose does it serve?
When was the coining done?
Yoruba is formed from oyo’roba meaning Oyo is king. So stop saying what you don’t know
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Nowenuse: 9:08pm On Sep 07, 2020
Guide777:

Thanks for the corrections and for agreeing with me that China and India did better than us in retaining their heritage. And that I think was the reason they were more progressive than Africa economic wise.
Thank you. I appreciate your mature response which is quite rare here.

Thank you for appreciating my response.
Actually, many people on nairaland can discuss maturely, just that the nuisances here end up pushing many to behave unruly.

Anyway, I wouldn't really agree with you that China & India are doing better than Africa because they retained their cultures better than us.

I think to a large extent, this goes back to many historical antecedents and the culture of the people.
Do you know that both India & China were once the largest and richest economies of the world in different times in the past?
These people have had powerful centralized civilizations that have united much of their people for thousands of years.
We Black Africans in particular have never such centralized civilizations. Most of us have lived in isolated tribes and small kingdoms from time immemorial.

That was why the Europeans sat down in the Berlin conference of 1880s and decided on how to divide, conquer and plunder Africans like a pie.
We have a long way to evolve as a people.

2 Likes

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Nowenuse: 9:12pm On Sep 07, 2020
Keraxes:

Yoruba is formed from oyo’roba meaning Oyo is king. So stop saying what you don’t know

So, was it the Oyo people that called themselves that? Or who did? And in your opinion, what time did this name take hold?

Cos the name was only seen from the 19th century.

Yoruba slaves who were taken to the Americas from the 15th-18th century, never at any point in time mentioned that name, nor are there remnants of that name anywhere. Meanwhile Yorubas made up a very huge population of African slaves in the Americas.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Nowenuse: 9:18pm On Sep 07, 2020
LukasPodolski:

the famous shongai scholar, Ahmed Baba Timbuktu in his work gave the Oyo empire "yarba" which literally means "Oyo is king" .....

Bishop Ajayi Crowther when he returned back to Nigeria, in is research found the name Yarba and changed it back to Yoruba..

I also learned that the same Ahmed Baba Timbuktu gave Hausas their name "Hausa" which he translated to "west bank".

"Yoruba" was existing before Hausa/fulani changed it to Yoruba, the Reason been that the Oyo empire(Yoruba as at that time) always try to outclass them during trading.... they felt the Yorubas always try to play smart..

Yoruba doesn't have any meaning in Hausa/

Okay, pls do you have any source or document or reference to buttress this?

Hausa as the name of the 'Hausa ethnic group' are in so so many documents from Europeans, Arabs, Berbers, Kanem-Bornu, Mali e.t.c since many centuries now, unlike 'Yoruba' that nobody heard of it earlier than the 18th century.

Heck, even Oyo people do not address or identify themselves as YORUBAS in their ancient parables or names of settlements.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Keraxes: 9:24pm On Sep 07, 2020
Nowenuse:

So, was it the Oyo people that called themselves that? Or who did? And in your opinion, what time did this name take hold?

Cos the name was only seen from the 19th century.

Yoruba slaves who were taken to the Americas from the 15th-18th century, never at any point in time mentioned that name, nor are there remnants of that name anywhere. Meanwhile Yorubas made up a very huge population of African slaves in the Americas.
Oyo people named themselves oyoroba before the 19th century
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Nowenuse: 9:29pm On Sep 07, 2020
Keraxes:

Oyo people named themselves oyoroba before the 19th century

So why don't they call themselves YORUBA in their parables?
Why is there no single town, village or Hamlet in the whole of Oyo land with YORUBA as a suffixe or préfix?

2 Likes

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Keraxes: 9:43pm On Sep 07, 2020
Nowenuse:

So why don't they call themselves YORUBA in their parables?
Why is there no single town, village or Hamlet in the whole of Oyo land with YORUBA as a suffixe or préfix?
The people are called yoruba not the town. Town in Yorubaland don’t bear the same Name so why are you expecting to see yoruba in their names?

Yoruba is actually meant for the people not the town or city
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by gregyboy(m): 10:07pm On Sep 07, 2020
codemaniacs:

so that's the only word you know..

sabi is a corruption of abi and shebi....

Am benin just like him....

Let me know if you want me to continue

AreaFada2

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by lexy2014: 10:29pm On Sep 07, 2020
Nowenuse:

You said Ijaws don't answer these funny Western names and I have you an example... Why then these unreasonable questions?

Pls answer d following questions:

1. Is "manager" a western name or a word?

2. Is d topic about indigenes of Delta State or indigenes of Rivers State?

3. Do u have kalabari in Delta State?

Simple yes or no
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by AreaFada2: 12:02am On Sep 08, 2020
gregyboy:

Am benin just like him....

Let me know if you want me to continue

AreaFada2

codemeniac

Very many more:

Portuguese (P) Caneca = Ekalaka in Benin (B) means mug/ cup for spirits/schnapps.

Serra (P) = 0sara (B) = saw for sawing wood

Limao (P) = Alimoi (B) = lime, orange

Aduana (P) = Adana (B) = Measuring bowl for garri, rice or beans, popularly called "mudu"

Carreta (P) = Ekarreta (B) = old entertainment dance.

Portuguese is so intertwined with Benin language that centuries from now, it will still remain. Sadly many Benin do not even know source or philology of words they use in Benin language daily.

The flowing robe of Benin chiefs is like the cassock of Princes of the Catholic church (cardinals/bishops). This was a tacit move to turn Benin into a Catholic empire by Oba Esigie from 1504. But the mobility resisted the move.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by BornRicch(m): 5:44am On Sep 08, 2020
Keraxes:

Oloribu generation from weak ugly oba of Benin lineage
Slaves generation kill yourself.. You can't change that....
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Keraxes: 8:38am On Sep 08, 2020
BornRicch:

Slaves generation kill yourself.. You can't change that....
Oloriburuku generation from olofo didan lineage. Weaklings
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by gregyboy(m): 9:25am On Sep 08, 2020
AreaFada2:

codemeniac

Very many more:

Portuguese (P) Caneca is Ekalaka in Benin means mug/ cup for spirits/schnapps.

Serra (P) = 0sara (B) = saw for sawing wood

Limao (P) - Alimoi (B) - lime, orange

Aduana (P) = Adana (B) = Measuring bowl for garri or beans, popularly call "mudu"

Carreta (P) Ekarreta (B) = old entertainment dance.

Portuguese is so intertwined with Benin language that centuries from now, it will still remain. Sadly many Benin do not even know source or philology of words they use in Benin language daily.

The flowing robe of Benin chiefs is like the cassock of princes of the Catholic church (cardinals/bishops). This was a tacit move to turn Benin into a Catholic empire by Oba Esigie from 1504.

Dont mind them, on that very particular thread i knew that most people don't even know history but they rosh to comment most of them dont even know benin were the first to come in contact with the Europeans in nigeria

Etinosa1234 almost sent the yorubas to their early Graves the way he did to Tao,

I hope they will learn and not Harbour hatred towards the binis

2 Likes

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by gregyboy(m): 9:27am On Sep 08, 2020
dasparrow:

I didn't know you have to discard your cultural identity by changing your native name just to trade with someone. Since your people now trade with fellow Nigerians, why haven't your people adopted the tribal or ethnic names of those Nigerians they trade with today? Oh I know. Nigerians don't have white skin like the Europeans whom your people worship.

Lol, nor mind them, dem b okpetu
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by gregyboy(m): 9:30am On Sep 08, 2020
KingWarri:

WRONG!!
Warri was the first city and the Portuguese where the first Europeans in 1485

You correcting you're also wrong because it was the benin

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply)

Your Favourite(s) Igbo Praise Names For God / Curtis Iredia Eidenogie, The Onogie Of Ubiaja Esanland, Edo. King At Age Of 4 / Prince Charles: Edo Airport Standstill As Oba Of Benin Returns From Abuja. Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.