Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,615 members, 7,823,677 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:10 PM

About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes - Culture (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes (57416 Views)

Young Virgins Initiated Into Womanhood In Ogu Town, (OKRIKA) Rivers State / Common Surnames Among Igbos And Their Northern Neigbours / 19 Young Virgins Initiated Into Womanhood In Okrika, Rivers State. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by dasparrow: 5:47pm On Sep 05, 2020
lekki1444:

Horsfall - No Authority
Henshaw- The fallen
Ephraim - under affliction
Duke- Person of power
Hogan- the afflicted dead
Cobham - the dead and afflicted

seems these white people gave yall bad names purposely to show that they were oppressing you

That is because they were oppressing Africans and the reason why Africa as a Continent and Nigeria as a nation has refused to rise from the ashes. There is power in a name and a name can change the trajectory of the bearer's life and destiny either for good or bad. Let Nigerians continue bearing nonsense english names with terrible meanings behind them. Na dem sabi!

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Schoolaid(m): 5:47pm On Sep 05, 2020
codemaniacs:

colonial mentality and self hate is what caused it.

just like MelesZenawi has said, they threw away their native names.

it has nothing to do with trade, as the br:itish were more interested in wiping off and subjugating the indigenous populations rather than helping them.

for lagos names, the british brought black brazilians and other people of African descent from the American continent to replace the indigenous lagos population. it could be the same with the ijaw, igbos and some people from south south.

even Samuel Ajayi Crowther was not Yoruba, the british just added ajayi to deceive the yorubas in lagos.

What did you just say?
That Samuel Ajayi crowther wasn't Yoruba!
Please check your history books.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by dasparrow: 5:48pm On Sep 05, 2020
Tajbol4splend:
We should be bearing purely our names by now, it shouldn't continue, it's tantamount to continual colonization

Precisely!
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by dasparrow: 5:50pm On Sep 05, 2020
johbara:
They just simply have refused to let go of their colonial masters names. there is a particular riverine tribe who evenboast of it as if it's an achievement. Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery.

May you live long! Well said!

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Jahwinaboy(m): 5:50pm On Sep 05, 2020
Thunderblasts:

I choose my names. They didn't choose me as surnames
Kudos to you. As an adult u have a choice to change your name, as a kid, u sure were given English names.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by dasparrow: 5:52pm On Sep 05, 2020
proclinician:
These names were basically a product of slave mentality. Just as slaves love their oppressors like is the case with blacks, they never want to let go of their oppressors. This is why the streets of porthacourt renamed rumuokoro for instance by the whites cannot be renamed to what it actually is by the indigenous people because they are slaves and with slave mentality, they love their oppressors and can't let go of them. Those guys bearing names like Douglas for instance have root, they didn't fall from the sky. That root cannot be traced any longer. They have discarded their ancestral nomenclature, their root , and their identity to take up the semblances of their oppressors whom they love so much. The Chinese were colonised but I do not think theirs a Chinese with such surname because the surname is very special. It's a mentality something. I remember a Yoruba man in a book I read telling his son who wants to go abroad on a scholarship that he should remember he is an ajayi man (Ajayi is the surname) and like the ajayi moto, it's moderation to all things but study. What meaning would it make if he said remember you are a graham man? Who the fvck is graham?

Well said!
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Deban: 6:01pm On Sep 05, 2020
money121:
Ok
The fact that the Europeans settled in European Quarters in Port Harcourt and named the new city of Port Harcourt after Lewis Harcourt should be an indication that they settled in that area long before they ventured to Onitsha.
Bonny Island has existed as Bonny Island since the 1400s. The name was Okoloma founded by Ibani people but was named Bonny people by the European trading partners who could not pronounce Ibani. Opubo was called Opobo. King Pepple of Bonny had Europeans who were under his employ way back in the 1800, way before the amalgamation of Nigeria before they ventured into Onitsha.. King Jaja of Opobo had European secretaries or aides. This was long before he was abducted and sent on exile before missionaries came to Onitsha.
You guys in the hinterlands need to travel down south, to the Ijaw Islands and get first hand knowledge of your surrounding before basing your facts to only what you know being schools in Onitsha of yesterday.

2 Likes

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by lekki1444: 6:08pm On Sep 05, 2020
dasparrow:

That is because they were oppressing Africans and the reason why Africa as a Continent and Nigeria as a nation has refused to rise from the ashes. There is power in a name and a name can change the trajectory of the bearer's life and destiny either for good or bad. Let Nigerians continue bearing nonsense english names with terrible meanings behind them. Na dem sabi!
Its funny that the only positive name in that list is DUKE which means person of power and see how that name helped DONALD DUKE. Names really are powerful destiny changers
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Deban: 6:09pm On Sep 05, 2020
dasparrow:

We're your forefathers the one who gave the name Nigeria to this area called Nigeria?
The place you know as Africa, were your ancestors the ones that named it?

Names are names to identify anything, person or place.

Who ever you become is according to how you plan your life. There are many kidnappers, ritualists and armed robbers who bear Chukwuemeka, Chigoziem, Chika, Olufemi, Qdegbite etc.

And there are many people who bear Banigo, George, Henshaw, Briggs, People, Browh, Whyte, West, Benstowe, LongJohn, Jumbo that are well educated and legitimately successful.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Deban: 6:12pm On Sep 05, 2020
lekki1444:
Its funny that the only positive name in that list is DUKE which means person of power and see how that name helped DONALD DUKE. Names really are powerful destiny changers

What would you say of Professor Tam David-West
Ebitimi Banigo
Mrs Ipalibo Banigo
Miss Ama People
Tonye Graham-Douglas
Nabo Graham-Douglas (the first SAN in Nigeria)
Finidi George
Taribo West
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by lekki1444: 6:16pm On Sep 05, 2020
Deban:

What would you say of Professor Tam David-West
Ebitimi Banigo
Mrs Ipalibo Banigo
Miss Ama People
Tonye Graham-Douglas
Nabo Graham-Douglas (the first SAN in Nigeria)
Finidi George
Taribo West
ALL THESE NAMES you are quoting were not on that list i never saw george or west or people or banigo on the list i decoded
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by jrusky(m): 6:24pm On Sep 05, 2020
RedboneSmith:

This is why I withdraw from threads and stop commenting once it hits frontpage. A lot of mad people will quote you and try to drag you into their madness.

Then quit since digressing thread and fan lies is what you have to say here its better you quit.

We want to learn facts not to learn lies and be argueing it
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Kirigidi(m): 6:30pm On Sep 05, 2020
oneeast3:

Show me one college or even church in Rivers state that is older than DMGS, CKC or QRS all in Onitsha. These colleges were established by the British in Onitsha because they actually settled down in Onitsha, something they never did in Rivers except using coastline for movement of slaves trade. They never established anything in the present day Niger delta like they did in Onitsha. Why?
Are you talking about the British? The British were not among the earliest European explorers/traders to visit what is now known as Nigeria. For your information, the British were late-comers (arrived around 1700AD-1800AD), and they came with the mindset to claim territory and colonize people that was why they started building schools, hospitals, etc at where they settled. On the contrary, the earliest Europeans to visit this part of the world (Niger Delta) were the Portuguese, the Dutch, the Spaniards, the Swedes and the Danish (they arrived as early as 1300AD-1400AD). They didn't came to colonize the natives but to trade with them, and that was why they didn't embark on building of those facilities. Nevertheless, their legacies/footprints still visible along the coast of Nigeria particularly the Niger Delta. For examples, towns such as Escravos, Forcados, and Lagos are names derived from the Portuguese. The Portuguese were also the ones that named rivers such as River Ethiope and River Sombriero. There are also several Portuguese words still noticeable in the native languages in the Niger Delta due to long period of trade. E.g. in the Urhobo language, words such as ORO (gold), sabato (sandals), kujere (spoon: the Portuguese call it colher), etc were words derived from the Portuguese language as a result of the trade contact. Infact, Portuguese would have been the official language of the Niger Delta supposing they came with the intention of colonization as the British did.

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by capnies: 6:47pm On Sep 05, 2020
Afam4eva:

Those name are common specifically with Ijaw people of Rivers and Bayelsa state.

Those names came with colonialism. Some ethnic groups tend to romanticize the colonialist more than others.

Those names existed before the colonization of Nigeria. Bonny for eg was a port for slaves transit as early as the 17th century the people of bonny were answering People Jumbo Cookey etc because of their interaction with westerners long before then. King Pepple of Bonny son was studying in Britain as early as 1650
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by sesan85(m): 6:48pm On Sep 05, 2020
codemaniacs:

colonial mentality and self hate is what caused it.

just like MelesZenawi has said, they threw away their native names.

it has nothing to do with trade, as the br:itish were more interested in wiping off and subjugating the indigenous populations rather than helping them.

for lagos names, the british brought black brazilians and other people of African descent from the American continent to replace the indigenous lagos population. it could be the same with the ijaw, igbos and some people from south south

even Samuel Ajayi Crowther was not Yoruba, the british just added ajayi to deceive the yorubas in lagos.

Moronic ignoramus? Which British brought back "black Brazilians and other people of African descent from the American continent to replace the indigenous Lagos population."

This is how you ignorant IPOB idiots go about disseminating your spurious, ill-educated piffle around with confidence. Yoruba returnees from Brazil and Sierra Leone came back to populate Lagos, you idiot!

You even claimed Samuel Ajayi Crowther, from Oshogun, near Abeokuta, was not Yoruba. Uneducated deplorable!
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by sesan85(m): 6:55pm On Sep 05, 2020
AreaFada2:

OK I will wait for others to come and confirm their being part of Oyo empire.

Oh boy you sabi lie o. grin Lai Mohammed Na apprentice for your gand. Chai. grin

Eko is an ancient Benin word for camp. Another word is Ago. Which also gave rise to Ago Enibode or sentry came that is today Aganebode in Edo North.
Benin territory names of old are littered with military terms of old.

Lol, what is Ago Enibode? This silly Benin revisionists have started again.

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by sesan85(m): 6:59pm On Sep 05, 2020
Daum:

So how did live and let live turn out into a monarchy. Or will you allow a foreigner create a kingship in your land and rule some of your people. The last time the tried to even have an Eze Ndigbo in Akure, it was a crisis.

Live and let's live in that the Benin monarchy in Lagos Island owns no land. The lands belong to the Idejo Awori chiefs.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by AreaFada2: 7:01pm On Sep 05, 2020
sesan85:

Lol, what is Ago Enibode? This silly Benin revisionists have started again.
Sentry camp is the meaning.

It's not even in doubt that people in that area, a large number were followers or people affiliated with Oba Ozolua.

Others were people of his son Oba Esigie. Luckily a Portuguese letter written in 1516 from Benin to Portugal still exists. The Portuguese writer succinctly described the Benin war with Idah.

If you have any knowledge at all, you will know which part of Edo Benin army fought the war from and the subsequent sentry and espionage after the war.

Ignorance might make things sound strange to you. But truth remains same.

What Benin didn't write down were depicted in bronze castings seen in museums around the world today. If you have the privilege like me, try visit British Museum London, Amsterdam Museum, Quai Branly Museum in Paris, Berlin Museum, etc.

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by sesan85(m): 7:02pm On Sep 05, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Benin actually conquered Lagos, deposed the Olofin and installed a new dynasty

These are eyewitness reports put together by historians

The last one was a letter written by Oba Akitoye...
Does someone who u allowed to peacefully enter ur house begin to dictate how u rule ?

If Benin "conquered" Lagos Island (not Lagos), how come the monarchs own no land? The Idejo Awori chiefs own the lands on Lagos Island.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by sesan85(m): 7:10pm On Sep 05, 2020
AreaFada2:

Sentry camp is the meaning.

It's not even in doubt that people in that area, a large number were followers or people affiliated with Oba Ozolua.

Others were people of his son Oba Esigie. Luckily a Portuguese letter written in 1516 from Benin to Portugal still exists. The Portuguese writer succinctly described the Benin war with Idah.

If you have any knowledge at all, you will know which part of Edo Benin army fought the war from and the subsequent sentry and espionage after the war.

Ignorance might make things sound strange to you. But truth remains same.

What exactly does this Ago Enibode have to do with Yoruba land, Mr. Bini?
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Guestlander: 7:12pm On Sep 05, 2020
codemaniacs:

Like I said to those who quoted me on this issue:
"
haven't you seen videos of white people speaking yoruba fluently...

if a black american or jamaican or haitian or brazilian e.t.c. who can speak yoruba fluently comes to Nigeria and tells you his name is seun ayoola I am sure you all will believe his yoruba.

not to talk of an era where Yoruba will be spoken by almost everyone in the SW making it easier to learn. if a black person from the american continent speaks igbo to you and tells you his name is ekene chukwudi I'm sure you will also believe. grin grin grin"

as for the original population, they will be left in poverty while the good jobs and other political positions that are supposed to go to the original population will now be giving to those that returned...

that's one of the things that happened in Liberia.. and its also currently happening to black Americans in the U.S.A... there are millions of black people globally that can speak english fluently and when they go to the U.S they are picked ahead of original black Americans e.g. o:b:ama is not black american but was chosen to be the "first black" president of the U.S.

Obama is not a black American? There are too many things you don't know.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by sesan85(m): 7:13pm On Sep 05, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Lol... Obviously u've run out of steam so quickly

Hope u saw the keyword eyewitness in the excerpt meaning he was present and saw what happened

Lemme use ur analogy here, the British colonised Nigeria... Where are their lands now in Nigeria.. Or
Let me talk abt The Oyo Empire that ruled far west to close to Ghana.... Does the Alaafin of Oyo presently own lands in such region...
U tend to forget that as the British conquest happened.. the defeated kingdoms lost their empires e.g Benin Empire, Fulani Empire, The Dahomey... Should I go on?

Besides, as at the 1800s the British only recognised the oba of Lagos as the major ruler of the land, the rest were considered chiefs ...

Can u tell me abt the history of the elegushi oba ?

Oga, the Obas of Lagos since Ologun Kutere have paternally come of the lineage of Alaagba, the Ijesha priest of Oba Akinshemoyin, who married Erelu Kuti.

Secondly, if Benin "conquered" Lagos Island, how come their descendants (Kings) do not own lands on Lagos Island, buy only the Idejo Awori Chiefs do? Does "conquered" mean another thing in Benin?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by AreaFada2: 7:17pm On Sep 05, 2020
sesan85:

What exactly does this Ago Enibode have to do with Yoruba land, Mr. Bini?
You cannot question the amount of information I can give to reasonable silent readers. I know sorting in 9ja education has produced many lazy and narrow minded readers.

Let me spoon feed you a little. Ago Enibode was added to show a previous lazy poster like you that just like Eko is camp, Ago is also a camp and both were used by ancient Benin depending on purpose of the camp.

So Mr Tapa claiming Yoruba, I hope that breakdown is simple enough for you to chew. grin cheesy

2 Likes

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by sesan85(m): 7:19pm On Sep 05, 2020
Etinosa1234:

1)The Benin also never planned to acquire land outside .The main reason of their conquest was for trade..

2)Lol Take a reference at Oba Akitoye letter once again

3) Lmaoooooooooooo are u that pained abt Benin history that u can't have a civil debate without insults

4)I never said that we owned Lagos... I said Lagos was a vassal of Benin kingdom ... The written history is there for u to see or u can quietly shift... The Yorubas from Ilorin still pay homage to Ife but still doesn't change the fact that the Fulani are the one still ruling there

5)I never knew that ur obas are historian

Lagos Island (not Lagos) was never a "vassal" of Benin. If Lagos Island was a "vassal" of Benin, why didn't Benin send troops to aid it when it was bombarded by the British. Or does "vassal" also mean another thing in Benin?
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by sesan85(m): 7:23pm On Sep 05, 2020
Iamgrey5:
@ emboldened

How many Binis have ruled Lagos?

Even the likes of Kosoko, Ggbadsmosi and Obanikoro whose name clearly give them away prefer to identify as Yorubas.

Even Oba of Lagos bears a purely Yoruba name. grin

The Obas of Lagos are Yoruba. They're the descendants of Alaagba, the Ijesha priest of Oba Akinshemoyin, who married Akinshemoyin's sister Erelu Kuti. Alaagba was the father of Ologun Kutere. All the Obas of Lagos since then are descendants of Ologun Kutere, so how are they not Yoruba? Don't mind these Bini clowns, lol.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by sesan85(m): 7:24pm On Sep 05, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Oh ... Now it's no longer Benin ruled eko... Its now Benin ruled a small area of Eko..
Nice attempt at shifting goalposts... U are doing well grin grin grin

Oya...I've searched the internet and I can't find it... I want u to show written history abt the people of elegushi pre1900... Just any thing abt them

PS: Obas are no historians

But Benin were only in Lagos Island, not the whole of Lagos. And they even owned no land on Lagos Island
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by sesan85(m): 7:25pm On Sep 05, 2020
uBuNiT:

"Oba" was never a yoruba language. Oba is a Benin language, yoruba just adopt it.

Ogie is your language, not Oba. Oba is Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by sesan85(m): 7:28pm On Sep 05, 2020
AreaFada2:

You cannot question the amount of information I can give to reasonable silent readers. I know sorting in 9ja education has produced many lazy and narrow minded readers.

Let me spoon feed you a little. Ago Enibode was added to show a previous lazy poster like you that just like Eko is camp, Ago is also a camp and both were used by ancient Benin depending on purpose of the camp.

So Mr Tapa claiming Yoruba, I hope that breakdown is simple enough for you to chew. grin cheesy

Okay, so Ago is also a Benin word? Ago Enibode ko, Ago Palace Way ni. Drooling werey!
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by sesan85(m): 7:32pm On Sep 05, 2020
Etinosa1234:

I say that Lagos was once a vassal of Benin kingdom
Not owners of Lagos

Lagos Island (not Lagos), as tiny as it is, was not a "vassal" of Benin. Do you know the meaning of "vassal" at all.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by yassinattah(m): 7:50pm On Sep 05, 2020
MrOjay1:
I've noticed the for a long time now that many Rivers state indigenes bear westernized surnames like Blankson, Douglas, Perricosta, Souza, Graham, Peterson, McColumbus, etc.

I have seen indigenes of Rivers who bear the above listed surnames alongside other ones too numerous to mention.Was there any kind of foreign culture influx in Rivers State that influenced these surnames?? Or have they just been bearing these kind of surnames right from inception?

I need opinions on this.
My own question is where did their men learn how to tie wrapper as a traditional attire.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Thetruthshallse(m): 7:51pm On Sep 05, 2020
Kirigidi:
Are you talking about the British? The British were not among the earliest European explorers/traders to visit what is now known as Nigeria. For your information, the British were late-comers (arrived around 1700AD-1800AD), and they came with the mindset to claim territory and colonize people that was why they started building schools, hospitals, etc at where they settled. On the contrary, the earliest Europeans to visit this part of the world (Niger Delta) were the Portuguese, the Dutch, the Spaniards, the Swedes and the Danish (they arrived as early as 1300AD-1400AD). They didn't came to colonize the natives but to trade with them, and that was why they didn't embark on building of those facilities. Nevertheless, their legacies/footprints still visible along the coast of Nigeria particularly the Niger Delta. For examples, towns such as Escravos, Forcados, and Lagos are names derived from the Portuguese. The Portuguese were also the ones that named rivers such as River Ethiope and River Sombriero. There are also several Portuguese words still noticeable in the native languages in the Niger Delta due to long period of trade. E.g. in the Urhobo language, words such as ORO (gold), sabato (sandals), kujere (spoon: the Portuguese call it colher), etc were words derived from the Portuguese language as a result of the trade contact. Infact, Portuguese would have been the official language of the Niger Delta supposing they came with the intention of colonization as the British did.
May the Almighty bless you for this your post and enlightenment. I always think the British doesn't meant well for the Africans. They are the only ones that came to disrupt our lives. See the mess they left behind by their almagamation.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (22) (Reply)

90-year-old Emir Of Daura, Faruk Umar Marries 20-year-old Bride (Pictures) / Your Favourite(s) Igbo Praise Names For God / Elizabeth Odunlami: 'Ooni Enitan Ogunwusi Promised Me Marriage, Disappointed Me'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.