Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,501 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:18 PM

About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes - Culture (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes (57258 Views)

Young Virgins Initiated Into Womanhood In Ogu Town, (OKRIKA) Rivers State / Common Surnames Among Igbos And Their Northern Neigbours / 19 Young Virgins Initiated Into Womanhood In Okrika, Rivers State. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Nobody: 9:56am On Sep 06, 2020
Maziyke:
Inferority complexe is worrying them,thé one that lossed élection yo thé current Bayelsa state governor is called Lyon,they have Liverpool as names, Briggs,

Actually all of them were slaves. that's the name given to them by their slave masters for easy headcount as they were bee shipped off to Europe and the rest. The ones here are the ones already name for exportation but fate made them free due to abolition.

mostly all are slaves.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by holymiles(m): 11:33am On Sep 06, 2020
one of my friend's surname is Briggs...she's from Abonnema in Rivers state. I guess OP is right.

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by BornRicch(m): 11:49am On Sep 06, 2020
Keraxes:

Edo lazy and weak youths. Useless youths who only think of cultism when other youths are thinking of making money, an average Edo youth is thinking of which cult group to join. Omo Irankiran olofo didan oloribu omo mashanfani

Weak youths and yet we enslaved your stupid father. Will you compare ikorodu, oworosoki, bariga, ebute metta, mushin, island, ijora, lasu, cultism to edo? Killings everywhere in Lagos counting scores, fool I grew up in Lagos you people are the most selfie and ignorant I have even seen. What about street fights and agbero everywhere in Lagos, killing for no reason, counting scores..will you compare that to edo cultism? I repeat afonja you're very lazy, bastard, Ibadan is a shithole of a state.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by BornRicch(m): 11:53am On Sep 06, 2020
iObEy:

Once again, you don't know history.
#............#
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Keraxes: 11:53am On Sep 06, 2020
BornRicch:

Weak youths and yet we enslaved your stupid father. Will you compare ikorodu, oworosoki, bariga, ebute metta, mushin, island, ijora, lasu, cultism to edo? Killings everywhere in Lagos counting scores, fool I grew up in Lagos you people are the most selfie and ignorant I have even seen. What about street fights in Lagos, killing for no reason, counting scores..will you compare that to edo cultism? I repeat afonja you're very lazy, bastard, Ibadan is a shithole of a state.
E pain am bastard foolish son of a LovePeddler. Edo youths imported cultism to overseas where other tribes are looking for means to make money. I have never seen a useful Edo youth in my life. All foolish Edo youths i know are senseless, useless, worthless

Edo youths are poor wretched malnourished ugly bastards just like your wretched father and your stinking pussy useless worthless smelly olosho mother

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by BornRicch(m): 12:09pm On Sep 06, 2020
Keraxes:

E pain am bastard foolish son of a LovePeddler. Edo youths imported cultism to overseas where other tribes are looking for means to make money. I have never seen a useful Edo youth in my life. All foolish Edo youths i know are senseless, useless, worthless

Edo youths are poor wretched malnourished ugly bastards just like your wretched father and your stinking pussy useless worthless smelly olosho mother

lol I bet you haven't seen smiling Yoruba girls in Ibadan and Lagos. Lazy tribe and you guys polluted Lagos with your dirtiness. I bet your stupid father married more than one and left you to wonder the street of Lagos. Agbero tribe, weakling tribe, yoruba the most dirtiest pussy in Nigeria. The most ugliest tribes in Nigeria. Slaves!!!
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Keraxes: 12:12pm On Sep 06, 2020
BornRicch:

lol I bet you haven't seen smiling Yoruba girls in Ibadan and Lagos. Lazy tribe and you guys polluted Lagos with your dirtiness. I bet your stupid father married more than one and left you to wonder the street of Lagos. Agbero tribe, weakling tribe, yoruba the most dirtiest pussy in Nigeria. Slaves!!!
E pain am. Edo youths the most senseless, dirtiest, poorest in the whole of south. Edo youths who are mostly wretched including your weak olofo oloriburuku mashanfani idiotic man you call a father and your animashahun worthless mother

Useless and senseless cultist
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by BornRicch(m): 12:19pm On Sep 06, 2020
Keraxes:

E pain am. Edo youths the most senseless, dirtiest, poorest in the whole of south. Edo youths who are mostly wretched including your weak olofo oloriburuku mashanfani idiotic man you call a father and your animashahun worthless mother

Useless and senseless cultist

lol � the most ugliest tribe in Nigeria. O'kola ugly beast. I repeat killing in Lagos is more than edo shey you know dey count scores ni! Where you live for Lagos make I mention your stupidity how you kill for no reason? Omo jetijeti oloriburuku somebody, omoale, omo olofo, oniranu, iyalayae', wa sofo ni aye e.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by EM123: 12:30pm On Sep 06, 2020
AwkaFinest:

With this kind of ignorance you are definitely not from Rivers.
Go ask your parents where you are from, because they lied to you.
shotup , am from ikwere , does ikwere bear those name? B4 u insult people check well.

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by AwkaFinest: 12:32pm On Sep 06, 2020
EM123:
shotup , am from ikwere , does ikwere bear those name? B4 u insult people check well.

An Ikwerre man cannot be spilling this kind of ignorance.

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by EM123: 12:33pm On Sep 06, 2020
ibiso1986:
who told you Rivers State indigenes don't bear that name... Seems you are from the hinterland (Upland) and don't have riverine friends from the state..
name de part of rivers dat bear those name.

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by AwkaFinest: 12:33pm On Sep 06, 2020
holymiles:
one of my friend's surname is Briggs...she's from Abonnema in Rivers state. I guess OP is right.

Briggs family is a very large family in Abonnema.

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by AwkaFinest: 12:35pm On Sep 06, 2020
EM123:
name de part of rivers dat bear those name.

I have told you to stop disgracing yourself.

Abua/Odual, Degema, Asari Toru, Akuku Toru, Bonny, Opobo, Okrika and Engenni people in Ahoada West bear those kind of names.
Andoni people to an extend do as well.

The people that dont are mostly the upland people ie Onelga, Ekpeye, Ikwerre, Etche and Omuma, Oyigbo and to some extend the Ogonis.

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Keraxes: 12:36pm On Sep 06, 2020
BornRicch:

lol � the most ugliest tribe in Nigeria. O'kola ugly beast. I repeat killing in Lagos is more than edo shey you know dey count scores ni! Where you live for Lagos make I mention your stupidity how you kill for no reason? Omo jetijeti oloriburuku somebody, omoale, omo olofo, oniranu, iyalayae', wa sofo ni aye e.
Lol alayebaje, omo arisunkun, omo pao bi Ibon, mashanfani, olofo didan oloriburuku, aye awon obi e ma baje mo tile ni. Useless cultist, just like typical Edo youth
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by EM123: 12:40pm On Sep 06, 2020
AwkaFinest:

An Ikwerre man cannot be spilling this kind of ignorance.
(smile) i think u derive joy in insulting people , in my village i have not heard of such name , also other part of rivers i have gone i have not heard of such name . assuming u are talking of delta state , i will agree with u , and not all delta bear such name , if u go to , isoko , ishiekiri, and ijaw u will see people with those names .
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by AwkaFinest: 12:42pm On Sep 06, 2020
EM123:
(smile) i think u derive joy in insulting people , in my village i have not heard of such name , also other part of rivers i have gone i have not heard of such name . assuming u are talking of delta state , i will agree with u , and not all delta bear such name , if u go to , isoko , ishiekiri, and ijaw u will see people with those names .

If you are Ikwerre as you claim, your people do not bear such names. These are names common with Riverine people. Or are the Riverine people not part of Rivers state?

Understand what the OP is trying to say. Must not necessarily be the ones he listed but the message he is trying to pass.

Yes I know of several blacksons, Douglas and Petersons from Rivers.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Nowenuse: 4:22pm On Sep 06, 2020
lexy2014:

Ijaw people don't bear western surnames. It's kalabari people who western surnames

How do you explain JAMES MANAGER? Senator of Delta south? Is he also Kalabari?
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Nowenuse: 4:29pm On Sep 06, 2020
Guide777:
When shortsighted slaves are willing to do anything to remain yoked to their masters chain, they will willingly forfeit their birth right, custom and cultural heritages, everything including the future of generations unborn.
It's not just people from Ijaw, and Efik ethnic stock that fell victim etc but it cuts across all part of Nigeria and Africa. Europeans and Arabs couldn't have succeeded in enslaving us through various guises such as Colonialism and Neo Colonialism if Africa have resisted by rejecting their religions, culture and thoughts.
Look at China and India, two nations which fell into foreign influence as Africa but they have made a difference by resistance to assimilate outside culture and religion.. Look how far they have gone.
But look at African nations that their citizens had gave up their language and changed their family names to christianized and islamized names and see where they are now.
The Ancient Igbos said, Nku di N'mba na-"eghere Mba Nri. Meaning: the firewoods available in any village is capable of cooking the food in that village.
Africa should return to her roots and use what it has to get what it want.

Africa should return to its religion, it's economy, its sociology, its technology, its medicine, its Education and in fact all its heritage. That is where the redemption lies.
All what we think Africa gained from all its various invaders such as Europeans and Arabs who stole its resources are the same thing a rat gained by eating the bait on a trap before it clamp on it.
This is my opinion.

Lovely piece from you.
However, just for the records, India & China were not completely free from the influence of the White & Arab Invaders.

Today there are over 500 million muslims in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka e.t.c, many of whom have completely lost and even resent their Hindu/Buddhist origins, roots and past. This was what lead to the division of India.
English is now a very big threat to the native languages of India. However I agree that India did better than Africa. Especially as the Hindus still retained their native names and to a large extent retained their traditional attires.

Chinese people on the other hand have abandoned their traditional attires completely in favour of Western clothes. We are partially better than them in this aspect.
They did better than us in retaining and repackaging their Chinese traditional medicine and the language. Lots of them also bear English names too, though not as bad as Africa.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Nowenuse: 4:31pm On Sep 06, 2020
Junior66:

Where I served in Taraba also has people bearing more hilarious names. I have seen names like Clever, Honest, Costly, Mechanic, Abstain, Adviser, Tailor, Calculator, Andrawus, Jepson, Artillary, Bethuel, Charisma, Commando, consman, Increase, Nice, Activities etc. I get shocked each time I see these names.

Seriously, these crazy Western names are now penetrating we the Middlebelt people, especially Taraba, Benue, Plateau & Southern Kaduna. It is really shameful.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Nowenuse: 4:35pm On Sep 06, 2020
Iamgrey5:
How can you keep saying this nonsense with confidence?

How can they leave behind their first site of civilization to journey into an unknown place?

These are the oldest schools in Nigeria by the way..

(1) Baptist Academy, Lagos : 1855
(2) CMS Grammar School, Lagos: 1859
(3) Methodist Boys High School, Lagos : 1878
(4) Methodist Girls High School, Lagos : 1879
(5) Hope Waddell Training Institute, Calabar: 1895
(6) Saint Annes School, Ibadan : 1896

It's sad that Oneeast3 cannot differentiate between Christian missionaries, Slave traders and colonialists.
These are clearly 3 different categories of white people who came to Africa.
The Ijaws and other coastal tribes imbibed these silly Western names from the slavetrade era beginning in the 16th century, long before anything like colonialism or missionary arrival.

The Ijaws were the middlemen who facilitated this slavery business, hence they needed foreign Nick names easy for white people to pronounce.

2 Likes

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by BornRicch(m): 4:46pm On Sep 06, 2020
Keraxes:

Lol alayebaje, omo arisunkun, omo pao bi Ibon, mashanfani, olofo didan oloriburuku, aye awon obi e ma baje mo tile ni. Useless cultist, just like typical Edo youth
Ibadan o'kola.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by lexy2014: 5:16pm On Sep 06, 2020
Nowenuse:

How do you explain JAMES MANAGER? Senator of Delta south? Is he also Kalabari?

First, is "manager" a western name or a word? Second, is d topic about indigenes of Delta State or indigenes of Rivers State? 3rd, do u have kalabari in Delta State?
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Keraxes: 5:28pm On Sep 06, 2020
BornRicch:

Ibadan o'kola.
Edo cultist and armed robbers
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by darfay: 5:53pm On Sep 06, 2020
Nowenuse:

Seriously, these crazy Western names are now penetrating we the Middlebelt people, especially Taraba, Benue, Plateau & Southern Kaduna. It is really shameful.

I find plateau names very amusing in a good way that is
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by darfay: 5:59pm On Sep 06, 2020
EM123:

Trash
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by darfay: 6:01pm On Sep 06, 2020
Keraxes:

You are entirely wrong. Yoruba is coined from the word Oyo. Go and make your research very well okay

The fulani name for Oyo
They gave you your name
They gave you an emir
They gave you your religion

I mean no harm just stating the obvious

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Keraxes: 6:30pm On Sep 06, 2020
darfay:

The fulani name for Oyo
They gave you your name
They gave you an emir
They gave you your religion

I mean no harm just stating the obvious
You are drunk because you don’t know what you’re talking about. Oyo has been in existence before any Fulani nonsense. So receive sense bro
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Guide777(m): 7:51pm On Sep 06, 2020
Nowenuse:

Lovely piece from you.
However, just for the records, India & China were not completely free from the influence of the White & Arab Invaders.

Today there are over 500 million muslims in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka e.t.c, many of whom have completely lost and even resent their Hindu/Buddhist origins, roots and past. This was what lead to the division of India.
English is now a very big threat to the native languages of India. However I agree that India did better than Africa. Especially as the Hindus still retained their native names and to a large extent retained their traditional attires.

Chinese people on the other hand have abandoned their traditional attires completely in favour of Western clothes. We are partially better than them in this aspect.
They did better than us in retaining and repackaging their Chinese traditional medicine and the language. Lots of them also bear English names too, though not as bad as Africa.
Thanks for the corrections and for agreeing with me that China and India did better than us in retaining their heritage. And that I think was the reason they were more progressive than Africa economic wise.
Thank you. I appreciate your mature response which is quite rare here.

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by darfay: 8:29pm On Sep 06, 2020
Keraxes:

You are drunk because you don’t know what you’re talking about. Oyo has been in existence before any Fulani nonsense. So receive sense bro

But Fulani burnt down Oyo ile and captured illorin which they own and control till this day

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply)

Female Snake Charmers At The Wedding Of Emir Sanusi's Daughter (photos / Alaafin's Wife, Badirat Ajoke Adeyemi At Bambam And Teddy-A's Wedding / Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.