Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,816 members, 7,817,366 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:07 AM

Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? (8509 Views)

You Follow CHRIST When You Do HIS Will / Is Your Church Responsible For Your Inability To Follow Christ? / What Does It Take To Follow Christ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by UgoFly: 9:48am On Sep 20, 2020
One thing that is certain is that Christianity is against accumulation of earthly wealth. Christ always talked about giving to the poor and needy. When you are blessed to earn plenty then you must also give plenty for whini

1 Like

Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Nobody: 9:49am On Sep 20, 2020
jesusjnr2020:
Yes he must if he just doesn't want to be saved to enter into the kingdom of God in heaven, but also that which is on Earth.

It doesn't necessarily mean a rich man literally forsaking all his riches, but to forsake it mentally.

To illustrate, Abraham didn't need to literally sacrifice Isaac to God, but he would have done it had God not stopped him to show that he'd already sacrificed him mentally, so doing it literally would just be a mere formality. Hence God rewarded him for obeying His voice despite the fact that he didn't literally sacrifice his son as God had instructed him to do.

That mentality is what all God requires from anyone who wants to enter into His kingdom on Earth, and i wouldn't be surprised if Jesus had stopped the rich young man from doing it literally as God did in the instance of Abraham, if he had also shown that mentality of the kingdom of God.

This is the mentality all of His apostles had, so for anyone to truly become one, he must have that.

Jesus said, it's almost impossible for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God on Earth because they hardly have that mentality which it requires.

God bless.

A million claps to this.

1 Like

Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by crackhouse(m): 9:51am On Sep 20, 2020
Yes someone did it in America recently
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Oyiboman69: 9:53am On Sep 20, 2020
Righteousnesss8:

Your papa..
Ajoke oniranu
I thought you're a true Christian,don't tell me the devil is working on you on Sundays too

Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Ayebagbalinyo365: 9:59am On Sep 20, 2020
They have started again. una don enter pastors their money. where were you when they have no money?
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Nobody: 10:01am On Sep 20, 2020
Have you seen a Rich man serve God genuinely without pride? Nope!

Jesus did not mince words when he said a Rich man will not enter into the Kingdom of God.
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by ArcSEMPECJ(m): 10:04am On Sep 20, 2020
Codes151:
God makes people rich to help others. That’s my believe. You give out ur riches by helping, educating and supporting the poor. Not necessarily the context

For sure, God makes people rich to help others

In giving, we have opportunities to give more as the blessings of God comes which is where I think you are referring to...

But in this context....Christ Jesus understood the practical life of that rich man, as he must have thought his riches could earn him the kingdom of God. EVEN THOUGH HE GIVES TO THE POOR.

But Christ telling him to forfeit all he has, humbles the rich man to know the extent he will go to be in his kingdom
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Angelfrost(m): 10:14am On Sep 20, 2020
Christianity is not as literal as many erroneously take it... There is a lot of subjectivity with regards to that event in scripture.

That was not the first nor only wealthy person Christ encountered through out his earthly ministry. There were others: The Centurion, Zaccheus, even Jarius. He never asked them all to do exactly what he demanded of the person above... The question should be, Why??!

The answer is quite simple... The rest were not deeply and overtly attached to their wealth. Christ could easily tell, can still easily tell till date.

Asking the man to part with his wealth (Note: Not to Christ, like some so called men of God today, but to the needy) was intended specifically to test where his heart truly lay: In fully following Christ or whether Christ would come second to his wealth.

God has to come first in a Christian's life... Professing to love Christ while serving him only when and where convenient is not an acceptable discipleship trait. To be truly connected to God, and be a disciple, while not discarding your God-given wealth, they must never take the place of God in our lives... The pursuit of earthly wealth should be secondary to Divine pursuits.

1 Like

Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by udemzyudex(m): 10:15am On Sep 20, 2020
I don't think so, living a life without jesus is vanity, as long as you have jesus and live a good life, you don't have to give all you have just because you want to follow jesus.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by lastchild: 10:21am On Sep 20, 2020
Righteousnesss8:
Trash undecided
are you not the same person preaching gospel up and down here, now that you have the opportunity to use this question and win souls, you are calling it trash

This nairaland sef, the moment you thought one person is making sense, he suddenly start misbehaving

I can see that those preaching of yours is just eyes service,

1 Like

Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Codes151(m): 10:26am On Sep 20, 2020
ArcSEMPECJ:

For sure, God makes people rich to help others

In giving, we have opportunities to give more as the blessings of God comes which is where I think you are referring to...

But in this context....Christ Jesus understood the practical life of that rich man, as he must have thought his riches could earn him the kingdom of God. EVEN THOUGH HE GIVES TO THE POOR.

But Christ telling him to forfeit all he has, humbles the rich man to know the extent he will go to be in his kingdom

hmmm. I get your point But for now lemme wait for inspiration before I argue blindly
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by TheWalkingMind: 10:33am On Sep 20, 2020
onenaija001:
Hi guys, I am still curious about what Christ told the young rich man about selling all he has and giving to the poor in Matthew 19:16-30, Mark 10:17-31, and Luke 18:18-30?

I brought this up because some Churches always bring these bible passages up, while others say Christ is not poor so Christians are not supposed to be poor.
That's not what Christ said. The context does not say that.

I think we're deliberately misunderstanding the purpose of Christ teachings, consequentially that statement. That statement was circumstantial as most of Christ teachings and directed to correct the lifestyle of those who lived in his era. Those weren't as much of a philanthropist. Christ was only asking them to be. The purpose of tithe in the land of Israel was to ensure no one lacks anything. No man is given wealth to serve himself, it's always for the good of others. Christ is saying, there's no point hoarding it for yourself as such will not give you the kingdom of heaven. If you hoard it however it still doesn't diqualify from heaven.

The chances are slim because hoarding wealth is greediness and selfishness, and no imperfect spirit is allowed into the temple of heaven.

Our purpose here is to dematerialize ourselves, to evolve from a good spirit to perfect spirit and then onto a pure spirit. Only a pure spirit can enter the kingdom of heaven.

So, that's the point of the whole statement of Christ. Dematerialize yourself. Giving, a nature of perfect spirit, is an essential way of doing that.

The fact that such statement is even a spine of controversy is a testament to how misplaced the priority of the church and humanity as a whole is.

All these are unnecessary to say the truth. The only thing that matters is to love one another.

Everyone will make heaven. Some in a lifetime, some in many lifetimes.
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Reference(m): 10:42am On Sep 20, 2020
This Scripture and others is just the New Testament version of the famoius Old Testament sayings of God: 'DONOT WORSHIP OTHER GODS OR BOW DOWN TO OTHER GODS' simply because men have become slaves to the works of their hands. It is Jesus demanding for authority over your life by tugging at your prized possessions. For where a man's treasure is there his heart will also be.

Men do it to their wives a lot, women demand it of men all the time JUST TO PROVE LOYALTY, FIDELTY AND LOVE. God asking us to do same should not be a problem. He is simply saying that I have a system of doing stuff called MY KINGDOM and it has its own rules, conduct and its own ways of making wealth and if you want to immigrate there you sell your stuff and come in, simple.

In all my years knowing God, one thing I have come to understand (because I did struggle with this for years) is: God wants to be in control of EVERYTHING. Especially if that thing is important to you. The Bible says He is a jealous God and CANNOT accept you (WATCH THIS VERY CAREFULLY) having, keeping or engineering wealth He is NOT DIRECTLY RESPONSIBLE FOR.

Only matured Christians will understand this, but when you begin to get seriously serious with God, the first thing He does is to pull your LIFE SUPPORT. He wants you to TOTALLY depend on Him. He wants to MAKE YOU....DEPEND ON HIM ONLY all your life.

The fact that any man cannot accept this truth says that much about his ability to yield to God.
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by fotadmowmend(m): 10:56am On Sep 20, 2020
Yes...... After giving your life to church what else do u have?
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by tinsen: 11:07am On Sep 20, 2020
[color=#006600]
lastchild:
are you not the same person preaching gospel up and down here, now that you have the opportunity to use this question and win souls, you are calling it trash

This nairaland sef, the moment you thought one person is making sense, he suddenly start misbehaving

[/color]

He’s not the one. This is an imposter that is known for violence. The other person’s handle is Righteousness89.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by harmony75: 11:10am On Sep 20, 2020
In few instances God will say give all because that person's life, joy all depend on his wealth.when you're not touching lives with the blessings He has given you, God will text you to give all He knows everything don't forget that, you're only helping the ministry of God so bless people with what God has given you by his grace, everything ends here so why are you withholding!!!
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Emmypure: 11:38am On Sep 20, 2020
wealth gotten from legit means =NO ,," ". ". ". "". illegal means =YES
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Ramos16(m): 12:03pm On Sep 20, 2020
jesusjnr2020:
Yes he must if he just doesn't want to be saved to enter into the kingdom of God in heaven, but also that which is on Earth.

It doesn't necessarily mean a rich man literally forsaking all his riches, but to forsake it mentally.

To illustrate, Abraham didn't need to literally sacrifice Isaac to God, but he would have done it had God not stopped him to show that he'd already sacrificed him mentally, so doing it literally would just be a mere formality. Hence God rewarded him for obeying His voice despite the fact that he didn't literally sacrifice his son as God had instructed him to do.

That mentality is what all God requires from anyone who wants to enter into His kingdom on Earth, and i wouldn't be surprised if Jesus had stopped the rich young man from doing it literally as God did in the instance of Abraham, if he had also shown that mentality of the kingdom of God.

This is the mentality all of His apostles had, so for anyone to truly become one, he must have that.

Jesus said, it's almost impossible for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God on Earth because they hardly have that mentality which it requires.

God bless.

1 Like

Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Nobody: 12:04pm On Sep 20, 2020
Ezekiel36vs28:
This is very wrong from you.What that scripture is saying is the will of God for a Christian. You give or sow all you have to God whether you possess very much or very little.There is no middle ground or anything like a mental giving Here but actual giving up of your property.That is the work of GRACE in a Christians life.God’s GRACE will first of all make you very poor before it will now lift you to realms you could never have attained even with your former riches. You can see GRACE at work in the early church by them selling Their possessions(lands and houses inclusive) they had and laying it at the Apostles feet to be shared to everyone who had need(Acts 2:45 and 4:32-37).That is why 2 cor 8:9 says”For you know the grace of our lord Jesus Christ,that,though he was rich,yet for your sakes he became poor,that you through his poverty might be rich”.So also you who has riches will become poor for others to be rich if you are a man under the GRACE of Jesus Christ.It is the law of Grace and the law has not changed.thanks
Can you please explain to me why non-belivers are rich? You need not examples.

1 Like

Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Ramos16(m): 12:07pm On Sep 20, 2020
Ezekiel36vs28:
This is very wrong from you.What that scripture is saying is the will of God for a Christian. You give or sow all you have to God whether you possess very much or very little.There is no middle ground or anything like a mental giving Here but actual giving up of your property.That is the work of GRACE in a Christians life.God’s GRACE will first of all make you very poor before it will now lift you to realms you could never have attained even with your former riches. You can see GRACE at work in the early church by them selling Their possessions(lands and houses inclusive) they had and laying it at the Apostles feet to be shared to everyone who had need(Acts 2:45 and 4:32-37).That is why 2 cor 8:9 says”For you know the grace of our lord Jesus Christ,that,though he was rich,yet for your sakes he became poor,that you through his poverty might be rich”.So also you who has riches will become poor for others to be rich if you are a man under the GRACE of Jesus Christ.It is the law of Grace and the law has not changed.thanks

You all must be mad, go and tell your private , mansion owning pastors to give up all their wealth

2 Likes

Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by femi4: 12:31pm On Sep 20, 2020
onenaija001:
Hi guys, I am still curious about what Christ told the young rich man about selling all he has and giving to the poor in Matthew 19:16-30, Mark 10:17-31, and Luke 18:18-30?

I brought this up because some Churches always bring these bible passages up, while others say Christ is not poor so Christians are not supposed to be poor.
No, it was an illustration that you must submit all to follow Christ. Jesus teaches in parables most time

1 Like

Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Kyra1(f): 12:39pm On Sep 20, 2020
No, I don't think so. If I have strength I will come and attach my reasons later.
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by futurerex: 12:49pm On Sep 20, 2020
lastchild:

Righteousness8 is an imposter. The real preacher is Righteousness89

1 Like

Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by futurerex: 12:53pm On Sep 20, 2020
Oyiboman69:

I thought you're a true Christian,don't tell me the devil is working on you on Sundays too
Righteousness8 is an imposter. The real dude is Righteousness89.

1 Like

Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by KLand(m): 12:57pm On Sep 20, 2020
It is not so much about giving your physical goods to God. It is about giving your heart to God.

God should be your top priority, not wealth and not any other thing in life.

But you can be a Christian and still be rich. Both do go together. What can't go together is loving your wealth and God at the same level.

If you are in doubt, I will mention that Jesus became poor to make us rich.

"For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor, that ye through His poverty might be rich." 2Corr. 8:9

1 Like

Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Righteousness89(m): 1:00pm On Sep 20, 2020
Owning Wealth, Riches etc is not a Sin.
Wealth and Riches owning you is where the Problem lies. That's where it becomes sin and a Liability..

The Gold and Sliver Belongs to God..
We don't let them in anyway Control us..
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by emmyN(m): 1:09pm On Sep 20, 2020
onenaija001:

Jesus spoke in parables. When he made that statement, he was pointing to salvation.
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Nobody: 1:28pm On Sep 20, 2020
Yes! go tell crooked adeboye to give up all his wealth he acquired through thithes and donations away.

Adeboye obviously doesn't believe heaven exist, unless he is planning to take all his wealth and private jets to heaven. grin
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by lastchild: 1:30pm On Sep 20, 2020
futurerex:
Righteousness8 is an imposter. The real preacher is Righteousness89
oh, I never knew, so sorry for that

1 Like

Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by lastchild: 1:31pm On Sep 20, 2020
tinsen:
[color=#006600][/color]

He’s not the one. This is an imposter that is known for violence. The other person’s handle is Righteousness89.

Thanks
oh, I never knew, I was wrong in that case
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Oyiboman69: 1:34pm On Sep 20, 2020
futurerex:
Righteousness8 is an imposter. The real dude is Righteousness89.
OK, no wonder cheesy
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Nobody: 1:36pm On Sep 20, 2020
Follow which Christ? the long bearded, long dark haired arab who we were told was crucified 1000s of years ago? how can the living follow a dead a man? cool isn't that madness?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Do You Know A Good Babalawo? / ..... / Which Is The Real Jesus?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.