Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,482 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:00 PM

Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? - Phones (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? (61263 Views)

Phone I Ordered From Aliexpress Is Being Held By Nigerian Customs / How Can I Unlock An LG Fone Sent From Germany? / "I Sent A Samsung Phone From Finland To Nigeria, My Brother Got Biscuit" - Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by tonyxrated(m): 3:21pm On Sep 24, 2020
Lexusgs430:

You should have used mikkyangel......... grin

Yes I remember this guy, pls help me with his contact. Thanks
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Lexusgs430: 3:22pm On Sep 24, 2020
tonyxrated:

Yes I remember this guy, pls help me with his contact. Thanks

He is live on technology section......
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by jospepper(m): 3:27pm On Sep 24, 2020
honharr:
Next time ask me how.You would have paid just $30 /)to get your phone
sir please tell us how. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Laredojohn(m): 3:52pm On Sep 24, 2020
Sorry about this, Hope you know that a lot of us here exists for this purpose and to relief you off customs stress and duty
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by benzion72(m): 4:11pm On Sep 24, 2020
Route your import through friendly post masters
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Abbeyme: 4:13pm On Sep 24, 2020
Kubernetes:
Hello,
So I bought three used smart phones from eBay.
The phones just came this afternoon via EMS post office.

The office called me and said my items have arrived, but I am gonna pay #41,000 as custom duty.This means I am am average of 13,000 per phone.

This is ridiculously high for a country who does not produce a phone.

It's also very surprising that the phones are even old used phones that reigned in 2006.

Edited.

I just collected them.

1..Hp ipaq glisten,cost is w $48 and the duty I paid is #600.

2...Hp ipaq h6318,cost is $10 and the duty I paid is #300

3...Iphone 10,the cost is $450 and the duty I paid is a whopping #41,000

There are many companies in Nigeria that would have helped in shipping this phone for you. All you will need to pay is under $35

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by earnit3: 4:25pm On Sep 24, 2020
Messed up system
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Blakjewelry(m): 4:55pm On Sep 24, 2020
Kubernetes:

Shipped on 3rd August using USPS.
53 days
You f.up you should have you those local shippers, 28 days max and you won't spent up to 10k for these stuff you bought

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Blakjewelry(m): 4:57pm On Sep 24, 2020
Kubernetes:

Go to their site and sign on.
You must have an email.
You must have a Master card or Visa card etc to make payments.
after registering look those local shippers or else be ready for Nigeria custom
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Sep 24, 2020
mimilogistics:
Every information you need to know about Mimi Logistics is on our website www.mimil.ng

Or click on my username and you will see our contacts there smiley

Okay.
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by tomiwiyu: 5:10pm On Sep 24, 2020
Kubernetes:
Hello,
So I bought three used smart phones from eBay.
The phones just came this afternoon via EMS post office.

The office called me and said my items have arrived, but I am gonna pay #41,000 as custom duty.This means I am am average of 13,000 per phone.

This is ridiculously high for a country who does not produce a phone.

It's also very surprising that the phones are even old used phones that reigned in 2006.

Edited.

I just collected them.

1..Hp ipaq glisten,cost is w $48 and the duty I paid is #600.

2...Hp ipaq h6318,cost is $10 and the duty I paid is #300

3...Iphone 10,the cost is $450 and the duty I paid is a whopping #41,000

You could have simple use a shipping company like Amgray to Ship carry such goods. It will cost you lest than 18k for everything you mentioned there. Even nothing up to that. Get your findings well before embarking on such next time

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by scottyy: 5:36pm On Sep 24, 2020
UDUJ:

Next time you want to buy anything from the US like electronics etc use Amazon. Shop from amazon and at check out pay for priority international express. Amazon will then send it through DHL or UPS. Once it arrives Nigeria DHL and UPS does the customs clearance for you, you don't pay a dime to Nigerian customs because it's already in the shipping fees you paid while shoppong at Amazon.com

This is what I always do whenever I shop from the US. And it takes an average of just 4 to 5 working days to get to me once its shipped from the US.

Nigerian customs are criminals and better avoided cool
lol. with those ridiculous shipping fees?
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by UDUJ(m): 5:52pm On Sep 24, 2020
scottyy:

lol. with those ridiculous shipping fees?

Well I pay the high shipping rates for peace of mind. For me it's worth it for the following reasons:
1. It takes an average of 3 to 5 working days for me to receive it in my house once Amazon ships it from the US
2. I can track my packages at every point of transit
3. I am rest assured my packages will never get missing or stolen
4. I don't need to bother with Nigerian customs as DHL or UPS does the clearance for me (DHL and UPS each have dedicated customs clearance departments - they are that organized).

So you see my reasons. I don't like worrying or having anxiety so I like doing things that doesn't stress me too much.

3 Likes

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Lovelynife(m): 6:40pm On Sep 24, 2020
Blakjewelry:
after registering look those local shippers or else be ready for Nigeria custom
how can i locate those local sellers?
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Blakjewelry(m): 7:07pm On Sep 24, 2020
Lovelynife:

how can i locate those local sellers?
they are many here on Nairaland but the one I am using was referred to to me by someone
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Realtalk20: 7:07pm On Sep 24, 2020
Youngpo413:
you are still a fool...no two way about it.

Men your scope of come backs is so limited it's just painful to watch grin

You are just a dummy
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by ghettochild(m): 7:16pm On Sep 24, 2020
2cribz:
Dia papa,u even gave them 1k, its a courier company so why all the shalaye. What nonsense ID,and relationship querry crap.common logistic crappy company asking u to provide this and that.
FedEx did that and am sure they still do it??
Even here in SA.. I still paid custom duty
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Lovelynife(m): 9:01pm On Sep 24, 2020
Blakjewelry:
they are many here on Nairaland but the one I am using was referred to to me by someone
please what is the name?
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Blakjewelry(m): 10:02pm On Sep 24, 2020
Lovelynife:
please what is the name?
Send me a pm
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Lovelynife(m): 7:00am On Sep 25, 2020
Blakjewelry:
Send me a pm
Aiit
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Kubernetes: 8:00am On Sep 25, 2020
OneCorner:
Which one iPhone 10?
Your claims sounds bogus though

Wanted saying iphone X
And I hope you x means 10
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Kubernetes: 8:05am On Sep 25, 2020
tonyxrated:

Is this the total expenses for d iPhone X?

Bought for $450.
Cost of shipping is about $35.
When it got to Nigeria, customs charged #41,000 as duty
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Kubernetes: 8:08am On Sep 25, 2020
Reference:

...53 days....did it come by hot air balloon....

I think,it takes 5-7 days to sort and clear at various points from USA and even here in Nigeria
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Kubernetes: 8:12am On Sep 25, 2020
001spice:
you r a leaner

Naa,I have been using eBay,amazon,Ali Express,alibaba,mobility,etc for over 10 years.I usually use their payment options to avoid loss,and even if there is loss,I can open dispute and make claim.
Just last week I got a Macbook I bought on eBay from $60 and I paid less than #2k for duty.

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Kubernetes: 8:14am On Sep 25, 2020
tranxo:

IPhone 10 reigned in 2006? Okay oo

There were 3 phones.The 1st two reigned in 2006-2009.The last is the iphone x.
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Kubernetes: 8:17am On Sep 25, 2020
adisabarber:

Did you declare them as used? Next time ask for revaluation.

Duty is a fxn of the price
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Kubernetes: 8:18am On Sep 25, 2020
supaflex:

How long did it take for your items to arrive?

Ideally,it should be 1 month.
But this one took 53 days,I guess due to corona
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Kubernetes: 8:21am On Sep 25, 2020
ajbabs:

You bought phone worth of $450 in US and you called it ordinary.
Do you even bother to know that car dealers pay as much as #350,000 as custom duties on cars (salvage) purchased for as low as $1,200 from US?

Exactly,that's true.
I bought a ford edge from Corpat last month shipping was $1,200

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Airtel Unveils New Cheap Data Plans To Satisfy Consumers Growing Demand / Unboxing TECNO Spark K7: Quick Look At Camera, Gaming and Antutu (PICS) / Nokia Belle Is Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.