Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,363 members, 7,822,709 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:24 PM

Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? - Phones (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? (61328 Views)

Phone I Ordered From Aliexpress Is Being Held By Nigerian Customs / How Can I Unlock An LG Fone Sent From Germany? / "I Sent A Samsung Phone From Finland To Nigeria, My Brother Got Biscuit" - Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by adisabarber(m): 8:23am On Sep 25, 2020
Kubernetes:

Duty is a fxn of the price

Duty is based on valuation. If there is no invoice attached the valuation officer will use a predetermined rate which will be based on his own assessment of the item. If you think duty charged is too high, you can ask for revaluation.

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Kubernetes: 8:23am On Sep 25, 2020
UDUJ:

Next time you want to buy anything from the US like electronics etc use Amazon. Shop from amazon and at check out pay for priority international express. Amazon will then send it through DHL or UPS. Once it arrives Nigeria DHL and UPS does the customs clearance for you, you don't pay a dime to Nigerian customs because it's already in the shipping fees you paid while shoppong at Amazon.com

This is what I always do whenever I shop from the US. And it takes an average of just 4 to 5 working days to get to me once its shipped from the US.

Nigerian customs are criminals and better avoided cool

That's true.
Merchants at eBay sometimes use their own shipping methods and you have no choice but to accept, except if you arrange on your own with the seller to pay extra
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Kubernetes: 8:24am On Sep 25, 2020
Lavisha:

What is lphone 10?!

you mean iphone X?!

Yes
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Adex2442: 1:03pm On Sep 25, 2020
Lexusgs430:

Do you know technology section......... cheesy

Can u share a link pls
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Emily22(m): 8:08am On Sep 30, 2020
WinLABSstores:

You guys are even worse.
$50 is 23k!

Are you for real cuz am about to procure tru dem...make i reverse jejely

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Emily22(m): 8:18am On Sep 30, 2020
WinLABSstores:

You guys are even worse.
$50 is 23k!

thats 460 per dollar

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Louiscares: 12:31am On Nov 21, 2020
Hello @hustla , how did you manage to reduce the charges? Was it DHL that reduced it or custom? Who charged your brother 1.3M?

hustla:
They charged my brother 1.3 million naira for something that costs $150
They later reduced to 54K when we cursed them on social media
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by HRMK: 6:23am On Nov 21, 2020
Kubernetes:
Hello,
So I bought three used smart phones from eBay.
The phones just came this afternoon via EMS post office.

The office called me and said my items have arrived, but I am gonna pay #41,000 as custom duty.This means I am am average of 13,000 per phone.

This is ridiculously high for a country who does not produce a phone.

It's also very surprising that the phones are even old used phones that reigned in 2006.

Edited.

I just collected them.

1..Hp ipaq glisten,cost is w $48 and the duty I paid is #600.

2...Hp ipaq h6318,cost is $10 and the duty I paid is #300

3...Iphone 10,the cost is $450 and the duty I paid is a whopping #41,000
WHAT ARE U NOW COMPLAINING ABT?UV PAID!U CAN AFFORD IT NOW!
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by hustla(m): 6:51am On Nov 21, 2020
Louiscares:
Hello @hustla , how did you manage to reduce the charges? Was it DHL that reduced it or custom? Who charged your brother 1.3M?

Customs did
I spoke to someone on twitter and she directed my brother to another person
I think he paid 49K Las Las.. Can't rmbr

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Louiscares: 7:42am On Nov 21, 2020
hustla:

Customs did
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by hustla(m): 7:53am On Nov 21, 2020
Louiscares:
Oh ok. I thought DHL reduced it themselves for you. I would have asked you to please share with me the email exchanges as I currently laid a complain to DHL outside Nigeria about how DHL Nigeria extort people, and I said it seems DHL Nigeria either works with those government agencies or some of DHL Nigeria employees in the airport are responsible for the extortion ( high custom duties/taxes) for imported shipment into Nigeria. So , I was told to present evidence to my claim.

Anyways, thanks for your response.

No, customs did

I think DHL gave the right quote.. And customs went ahead to impose their own levy

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by americaninja1: 5:45pm On Jan 13, 2021
hustla:

Customs did
Please, can you direct me to the person. I'm in same dilemma right now.
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by hustla(m): 5:58pm On Jan 13, 2021
americaninja1:
Please, can you direct me to the person. I'm in same dilemma right now.

Ill check on twitter later

Best thing is to make some noise on twitter though
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by americaninja1: 6:00pm On Jan 13, 2021
hustla:

Ill check on twitter later

Best thing is to make some noise on twitter though
Thank you, I;m trying to find their handle on twitter, so i could tag them.
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by hustla(m): 6:16pm On Jan 13, 2021
americaninja1:

Thank you, I;m trying to find their handle on twitter, so i could tag them.

@beryl_countess

On twitter
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by americaninja1: 6:31pm On Jan 13, 2021
thank you
hustla:

@beryl_countess

On twitter

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Dreydoe(m): 10:10am On Feb 12, 2021
That's how this our Egbon in USA shipped (2 Airpods pro, 1 apple chain strap, Iphone 12pro, iphone 12 mini , A mac and apple pen) altogther using DHL express since Jan 20.

Dhl separated them into 2 packages and gave it one tracking number.

Apart from the ridiculous custom fee we paid when it got to lagos '"about 300k"'.

We only got one package delivered to us on FEb 3, Just 2 airpods pro and the apple chain strap.

Omo eversince then we have been pursuing DHL up and down for our other package which is more valuable cry

Our brother in US have threatned to sue them over there if we don't get our full items.

But I'm frustrated already- Imagine with all the ridiculous charges and express fee we paid, Should local man still be having such issues. DHL is a shitty courier service.

They are just using our remaining package to play games. It's so annoying.

There is no longer an estimated delivery date for our item.

According to the DHL customer service they actually don't know where the other package is at the moment and they are running an investigation on it. wtf!!

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Oyinlomobambam(m): 11:45am On Feb 12, 2021
Kubernetes:
Hello,
So I bought three used smart phones from eBay.
The phones just came this afternoon via EMS post office.

The office called me and said my items have arrived, but I am gonna pay #41,000 as custom duty.This means I am am average of 13,000 per phone.

This is ridiculously high for a country who does not produce a phone.

It's also very surprising that the phones are even old used phones that reigned in 2006.

Edited.

I just collected them.

1..Hp ipaq glisten,cost is w $48 and the duty I paid is #600.

2...Hp ipaq h6318,cost is $10 and the duty I paid is #300

3...Iphone 10,the cost is $450 and the duty I paid is a whopping #41,000

Please sir drop your mail or hi me on WhatsApp
I just want you to put me through something on eBay
Thanks
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by tragergeorge(m): 4:15pm On May 12, 2022
UDUJ:

Well I pay the high shipping rates for peace of mind. For me it's worth it for the following reasons:
1. It takes an average of 3 to 5 working days for me to receive it in my house once Amazon ships it from the US
2. I can track my packages at every point of transit
3. I am rest assured my packages will never get missing or stolen
4. I don't need to bother with Nigerian customs as DHL or UPS does the clearance for me (DHL and UPS each have dedicated customs clearance departments - they are that organized).

So you see my reasons. I don't like worrying or having anxiety so I like doing things that doesn't stress me too much.
afa boss
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Kfed4ril(m): 12:13am On May 13, 2022
hisgrace090:
Mind you that everybody is looking for who to cheat in this enclave.

Multiple tax upon tax, nothing to show for it because fraudsters are on top.

Treasure single account TSA introduced by Buhari govt is now irrelevance as they've started appointing treasurers to money making ministries all because of excess fraud in town.
Fear 9ja!!?

It wasn’t introduced by Buhari government, don’t give him credit for what he can’t understand.

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by BigBrother9ja: 2:10pm On Jun 05, 2022
Keraxes:

You paid custom charges because the seller who sent the item didn’t pay the charges from the import country
You're talking nonsense
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by BigBrother9ja: 2:14pm On Jun 05, 2022
euniselfyahoo:
Nigeria men in uniform have a way of extorting money from the poor citizens.
Or deh
Who dumped your ass? You CHEATED! You deserve it!
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Esteesiki: 12:45pm On Mar 23
Louiscares:

How did you go about it? I am being charged 66k for an item of 50k
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by hustla(m): 1:33pm On Mar 23
Esteesiki:
How did you go about it? I am being charged 66k for an item of 50k

Err, I spoke with one of their reps on Twitter at the time

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Airtel Unveils New Cheap Data Plans To Satisfy Consumers Growing Demand / Unboxing TECNO Spark K7: Quick Look At Camera, Gaming and Antutu (PICS) / Nokia Belle Is Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.