Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,730 members, 7,820,527 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:31 PM

George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! (17730 Views)

Tears! Still Thinking About This Pretty Girl Facing Death Penalty In China. Pics / Buhari Denies Claims That He Has Plans To Islamize Nigeria When Elected / NIGERIA: When Will The Shedding Of Innocent Blood Stopped (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Nobody: 8:17am On Mar 08, 2011
eku_bear:

They came very very close after their coup. But of course. . . fcked it up due to incompetence. Nigerian history would have turned out far, far differently if they'd pulled it off.

More like children playing with fire, without knowing it burns.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by ekubear1: 8:21am On Mar 08, 2011
Aigbofa:

More like children playing with fire, without knowing it burns.

Nah, think about it this way. Nigeria comes into being, Western region, Eastern Region, Northern Region.

East and North ally. West is partitioned by its enemies (North and East.) Awo gets locked up. So you've successfully weakened your enemy to the West. Then you execute a coup, knocking off all the leadership off the North.

You then dissolve the powers of each region, centralizing power under the Igbo.

Really quite a well-done job. If the latter stages had been handled by more competent men (e.g., me), the Igboman would rule Nigeria today, rather than being it's footstool and being hated by all.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Omenani(m): 8:26am On Mar 08, 2011
^^^

You of all people should know nothing remains static. Things change within a society. The populations of the East are restless again, with the Ogoni and Ijaws representing this new way of dealing with Nigeria.

The only people keeping the Igbos from rising up are my parent's generation. They know the effects of war and tell their children not to rise. It is the failure of the previous generation that continues to keep the Igbos in shackles of our making.

Let us take a look at Balewa's Administration:

Balewa's Ministers
OFFICE                                         NAME                           TERM
Prime Minister                    Abubakar Tafawa Balewa       1957–1966
Foreign Affairs                       Jaja Wachuku           1961–1965
Transportation                      Raymond Njoku        1957–1960
Education                              Aja Nwachukwu         1957–1960
Commerce                         K. O. Mbadiwe        1957–1960
Communications                 Samuel Ladoke Akintola     1957–1960
Finance                                   Festus Okotie-Eboh      1957–1960
Internal Affairs                            J. M. Johnson                     1957–1960
Information                         Kola Balogun                     1957–1960
Health                                      Ayo Rosiji                    1957–1960
Labor , ,
Mines                                    Muhammadu Ribadu     1957–1960
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by ekubear1: 8:28am On Mar 08, 2011
^-- Toothless threats. W/o military strength, pretty much empty words. If you rise up, you'll face a war more devastated than that of the 1960s. But you are even less prepared now than before.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Nobody: 8:30am On Mar 08, 2011
eku_bear:

Nah, think about it this way. Nigeria comes into being, Western region, Eastern Region, Northern Region.

East and North ally. West is partitioned by its enemies (North and East.) Awo gets locked up. So you've successfully weakened your enemy to the West. Then you execute a coup, knocking off all the leadership off the North.

You then dissolve the powers of each region, centralizing power under the Igbo.

Really quite a well-done job. If the latter stages had been handled by more competent men (e.g., me), the Igboman would rule Nigeria today, rather than being it's footstool and being hated by all.

LOL grin grin

The result would have been more brutal than the civil war. This is because the ibos will now have two very powerful enemies on their back. Yorubas did not view the first coup as being directed at them. They just fought to keep Nigeria one, not to exact a revenge on ibos.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Omenani(m): 8:32am On Mar 08, 2011
eku_bear:

^-- Toothless threats. W/o military strength, pretty much empty words. If you rise up, you'll face a war more devastated than that of the 1960s. But you are even less prepared now than before.

Do you know the East is more awashed in weapons than any region in Nigeria besides the North? Who do you think supplies the Ijaws and other militant groups with weapons? If you knew Nigeria, you would know that the weapon dealers coming primarily from one group. And we have the production capabilities. Aba and Onitsha are the manufacturing capitals of the region.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Nobody: 8:34am On Mar 08, 2011
Omenani:

Do you know the East is more awashed in weapons than any region in Nigeria besides the North? Who do you think supplies the Ijaws and other militant groups with weapons? If you knew about Nigeria, you would know who are the weapons deals. And we have the production capabilities. Aba and Onitsha are the manufacturing capitals of the region.

You are planning a war with Aba made weapons?
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Omenani(m): 8:34am On Mar 08, 2011
Aigbofa:

LOL grin grin

The result would have been more brutal than the civil war. This is because the ibos will now have two very powerful enemies on their back. Yorubas did not view the first coup as being directed at them. They just fought to keep Nigeria one, not toexact a revenge on ibos.

Yorubas were in the periphery during the 1st Republic. No one ever considered you all a threat. Sometimes I think you Yorubas can be your own enemies. Even though we Igbos do not have centralized leadership, you do not see us maiming each other in the names of politics. Political assignations is more common in the South-West than any other region in Nigeria.

Look at how easy it was for the North to use Akintola?
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Nobody: 8:37am On Mar 08, 2011
Omenani:

Yorubas were in the periphery during the 1st Republic. No one ever considered you all a threat. Sometimes I think you Yorubas can be your own enemies. Even though we Igbos do not have centralized leadership, you do not see us maiming each other in the names of politics. Political assignations is more common in the South-West than any other region in Nigeria.

Maybe, but that doesn't mean the assassins are not ibos.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by ekubear1: 8:37am On Mar 08, 2011
Omenani:

Do you know the East is more awashed in weapons than any region in Nigeria besides the North? Who do you think supplies the Ijaws and other militant groups with weapons? If you knew about Nigeria, you would know who are the weapons deals. And we have the production capabilities. Aba and Onitsha are the manufacturing capitals of the region.

There a cluster of villages in Pakistan that are renowned for their small-arms production. Check out this video for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDiwRFaJv-A

Dollars to donuts one of those villages produces more weapons than all of the East. Yet. . . somehow I don't think it'd be hard to take those villages, push come to shove.

Anyway, if you think you are ready. . . be my guest.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Nobody: 8:40am On Mar 08, 2011
^^^^^

Dude is trying to fight with Aba made shakabula! How funny.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by ekubear1: 8:40am On Mar 08, 2011
Omenani:

Look at how easy it was for the North to use Akintola?

I wish when the British left, we'd also each had 3 separate armies too. This was the major mistake we made in the 50s and 60s. Awo tried to correct this, but failed. . . if we had not made this mistake, Nigeria would be a very, very different country today.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Omenani(m): 8:43am On Mar 08, 2011
eku_bear:

There a cluster of villages in Pakistan that are renowned for their small-arms production. Check out this video for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDiwRFaJv-A

Dollars to donuts one of those villages produces more weapons than all of the East. Yet. . . somehow I don't think it'd be hard to take those villages, push come to shove.

Anyway, if you think you are ready. . . be my guest.

You do know small arms production is very common in Aba?  That is why the FG wanted to site a gun factory in Abia to tap into the gun making culture that is found in that area. You have whole communities dedicated to making guns.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200912110157.html
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Omenani(m): 8:46am On Mar 08, 2011
eku_bear:

I wish when the British left, we'd also each had 3 separate armies too. This was the major mistake we made in the 50s and 60s. Awo tried to correct this, but failed. . . if we had not made this mistake, Nigeria would be a very, very different country today.

Your people did not pursue the military as vigorous as the Igbos and Yorubas. The Igbos found out early that whoever controlled the military would control Nigeria. Igbos had more officers in the military before the British told the Hausa to increase their numbers in the military.

Not only did we Igbos pursue military services, we also pursued education in which we realized that you Yorubas had a head start.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Nobody: 8:47am On Mar 08, 2011
eku_bear:

Three separate armies is not practical, maybe a system of equal representation could have been a little better.
I think the British deliberately skewed the millitary in favor of the north for some reason.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by ekubear1: 8:49am On Mar 08, 2011
Omenani:

You do know small arms production is very common in Aba?  That is why the FG wanted to site a gun factory in Abia to tap into the gun making culture that is found in that area. You have whole communities dedicated to making guns.

Supplying guns for armed-robbers and kidnappers is a bit different (in both volume and quality requirements) than weapons to fight the Soviets, Taliban, Americans, in Kashmir, etc, no?

Not to mention. . . they've really found ways to reduce the costs there in Pakistan.

So in terms of money vs. quality, that'd probably be where I'd want to learn about gunsmithing (with all due respect to Aba.)
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Nobody: 8:50am On Mar 08, 2011
Omenani:

Those guns are made in Yorubaland as well. They are good if you want to be a hunter of something, but to fight a war? I can only encourage you to go ahead.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Omenani(m): 8:54am On Mar 08, 2011
eku_bear:

Supplying guns for armed-robbers and kidnappers is a bit different (in both volume and quality requirements) than weapons to fight the Soviets, Taliban, Americans, in Kashmir, etc, no?

Not to mention. . . they've really found ways to reduce the costs there in Pakistan.

So in terms of money vs. quality, that'd probably be where I'd want to learn about gunsmithing (with all due respect to Aba.)

Having "sophisticated weapons" in war mean nothing when you have an entrenched enemy. Look at Vietnam. Americans had superior firepower, but they were up against an enemy who was fighting on behalf of their homeland. I rather choose valor than "weapon quality." A crude weapon can still provide terror for armies.

If people copy the design of the AK-47 which is not hard, this weapon is cheap to create and it is cost effective. The weapon has dealt damage to many armies who had superior firepower.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by ekubear1: 9:02am On Mar 08, 2011
Omenani:

Having "sophisticated weapons" in war mean nothing when you have an entrenched enemy. Look at Vietnam. Americans had superior firepower, but they were up against an enemy who was fighting on behalf of their homeland. I rather choose valor than "weapon quality." A crude weapon can still provide terror for armies.
I'd rather have quality weapons, personally.

If people copy the design of the AK-47 which is not hard, this weapon is cheap to create and it is cost effective. The weapon has dealt damage to many armies who had superior firepower.
There are different levels. Not all Ak-47s are the same. I don't think you should just buy from anywhere. The reason why I like Pakistan as a source is because the quality is likely to be higher, while the cost is good. This is where I'd start if I want to learn how to manufacture good weapons in large #s at low prices.

Anyway, to each his own.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by seanet02: 10:08am On Mar 08, 2011
Omenani:

And how is that possible? How are you going to Repel a Heavily armed Soldiers with Guns that won't Reload until after Five Minutes? Are you saying you can withstand Missiles,Machine guns, chengdu F-7 fighter jets, frigates, tanks, and Rocket propellers with an Aba made Hunter Gun? Dude something is wrong with you!
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by fstranger3(m): 12:12pm On Mar 08, 2011
Omenani:

Your people did not pursue the military as vigorous as the Igbos and Yorubas. The Igbos found out early that whoever controlled the military would control Nigeria. Igbos had more officers in the military before the British told the Hausa to increase their numbers in the military.

Not only did we Igbos pursue military services, we also pursued education in which we realized that you Yorubas had a head start.

You are right to some extent. But my people realized very fast that in the immediate circumstance and in the future, he who controls the economy, really controls Nigeria. Thats was the logic behind free education and you will agree with me that it has yielded dividends for the SW. grin
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by klear(f): 1:30pm On Mar 08, 2011
This has done nothing but degenerate in2 tribal bashing. One Nigeria indeed! A lot of peeps need 2 work on dia mind sets & stop been so sensitive to any & everything some says.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 3:06pm On Mar 08, 2011
geosegun:

I'M COOL ABOUT THIS!!!!

Glad to see my explanation got across. . . . . .
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 3:11pm On Mar 08, 2011
Omenani:

we Igbos. . . . .  also pursued education in which we realized that you Yorubas had a head start.

Sooooo. . . . you admit IBOS COMPETE WITH/VIEW THE  YORUBAS AS YOUR RIVALS; EVEN/WHEN THE YORUBAS MIGHT NOT REALIZE IT?!?!?!

How do u say it again. . . .?

GBAM!!!
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 3:16pm On Mar 08, 2011
eku_bear:

Pretty solid response justifying the Hens, imo. I'm surprised Uche and the rest didn't try to respond. Will be pretty difficult to do so, I reckon.

As usual, they wait for everyon else to go to bed. . . . . .
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Solozzo(m): 4:39pm On Mar 08, 2011
I think if one must place the yorubas in a category, the nearest one could place deem is the PIGLETS as they were usually favoured to benefit somewhat in the system.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 6:56pm On Mar 11, 2011
Solozzo:

I think if one must place the yorubas in a category, the nearest one could place deem is the PIGLETS as they were usually favoured to benefit somewhat in the system.

right!
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 1:24am On Jul 24, 2011
Seems like EzeUche forget he once posted on this topic
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by aljharem3: 4:36am On Oct 09, 2011
To be honest Bk, come to think of it. You got the whole picture of Nigeria.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by arsenefc: 4:42am On Oct 09, 2011
alj_harem:

To be honest Bk, come to think of it. You got the whole picture of Nigeria.

Very childish of you to have brought this topic back up because Ekt bear mentioned it on the other thread.

Alhaji, you need to be consistent and firm and independent.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by tlops(m): 6:33pm On Jan 31, 2012
Any spot for Boko Haram on the Farm?

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

President Buhari Dissolves 8th National Assembly / Princewill: Split Votes Between Supporters Of Obi, Atiku May Give Tinubu Victory / Kemi Adeosoun On Channels TV Live

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.