Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,130 members, 7,814,950 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:27 AM

George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! (17685 Views)

Tears! Still Thinking About This Pretty Girl Facing Death Penalty In China. Pics / Buhari Denies Claims That He Has Plans To Islamize Nigeria When Elected / NIGERIA: When Will The Shedding Of Innocent Blood Stopped (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by mrtidy(m): 1:58pm On Mar 06, 2011
You'd be shamelessly dumb to think this analysis is dumb even though there are mistakes is some areas its still GREAT, good job BK.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by tlops(m): 3:03pm On Mar 06, 2011
haters should come up with what they think is better analogy.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by fstranger3(m): 3:07pm On Mar 06, 2011
^^^^

Thats not what haters do.

Haters love to cry and whine, thats why we call then CRYAFRA.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by EkoIle1: 3:10pm On Mar 06, 2011
bashr4:

yes the hausa whop our a.s.s in their land but they come into your land up till today to whop yours and you cant do poo about that , now who is the coward? the other day ijaws whopped your a/s/s in ondo and you all ran to lagos and ibadan in twinkle of an eye .you dont even have the balls to go beyond the SW. nigerians know who the cowards are. as for what happened in the biafran war, the documents are all over the net so arguing with you is a waste of time since you have access to internet you can educate yourself so that you dont sound silly in public.

Shut up, you are absolutely irrelevant.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Nobody: 3:28pm On Mar 06, 2011
@OP, I actually agree with your concept despite this being called an "flawed attempt" lol and I can see why it is called so. I will explain. First off I will say that I love Animal Farm i was required to purchase and read it when I was a highschool student and we were havin debates on the significance of certain events and characters. What I find and found from the time I was 14 - now, is that Orwell was more than likely discussing HUMAN nature and not so much a certain ethnicity although he was or at least it is believed he indirectly referred to G. Lamont's 'The Russian Revolution' (I THINK and it was actually a parody of Lamont's book and the concept of communism.  lipsrsealed) .

I do believe that the youth of Nigeria who are interested in politics should use this book as a reference but no more than perhaps Ann Frank or maybe even something as comical as Harry Potter as all of these books and plenty more, suggest the concept of triumph over evil and how education and enduring/surviving oppression while still standing one's ground is necessary. But all in all, I do not think it is wise to single out Nigeria as what happened in Libya, Egypt, Sudan and even Haiti is the result of mismanagement of funds, abuse of power and rebellion.

My 'universal motto': same story. . .different ppl.  smiley undecided
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by passyjango(m): 3:30pm On Mar 06, 2011
Based on the story, Igbos were the most likely characters to attribute to hens in Animal Farm, so the poster got it right.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by geosegun(m): 4:10pm On Mar 06, 2011
@bk.babe97y: I quiet agree with your anology but i have a question for you.

While you a have a coincise anology for the Hausas and the Ibos, i would like to know why you refused to analyse the part play by the yourubas (south westerners) in Nigeria? I think this is the bone of contention.

If you actually ommited it intentionally, then you are playing the tribal card. but if not let us know the reason.
I AM A YORUBA YOUNG MAN BUT DON'T TOLERATE AND NEITHER DO I BELIEVE IN TRIBALISM.

ONE NATION!!!!
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 4:45pm On Mar 06, 2011
I never imagined one of my most revered books after The Palmwine Drunkard (Amos Tutola) grin is so sublimely illustrated in the Nigerian theme. You Sir, are one intellectual revolutionists. you can discount the expected grunts and caws of lesser animals whose relevance in the farm is mostly determined by the PIGS, they serve no potential or immediate nationalistic purpose save the memory of their raucous dissent.

Sadly, youths of today have very little (illuminating) literature to expand their awareness (too much radio propaganda, glo,mtn,star shows and nollywood). good analogy right there wink
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Solozzo(m): 5:44pm On Mar 06, 2011
Good stuff. Animal farm mirrors naija in some aspects when taken in a longitudinal historical view. But I think that the allegory of Old Major represents Herbert McCaullay rather than Awolowo. Mccaullay was the visionary for Nigeria, with a high sense of nationalism, unity of all tribes and a bridge across all ethnicity. Unfortunately he died before independence was achieved. In contrast Awo had a rather more parochial view of Nigeria focusing more on regionalism while paying lip service to nationalism in order to derive ultimate benefit for his people.

I think Napoleon was more like BabaGida rather than GEJ
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by elrony(m): 6:05pm On Mar 06, 2011
@bk.babe u can see the tribalistic rage ravin up in here, lol

talkin bout the hens as igbos, wats up wif the niger del??

i gat to admit dat GEJ is way too new in the system to be tagged napoleon,

where does Gen abacha stand
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 9:15pm On Mar 06, 2011
Solozzo:

Good stuff. Animal farm mirrors naija in some aspects when taken in a longitudinal historical view. But I think that the allegory of Old Major represents Herbert McCaullay rather than Awolowo. Mccaullay was the visionary for Nigeria, with a high sense of nationalism, unity of all tribes and a bridge across all ethnicity. Unfortunately he died before independence was achieved. In contrast Awo had a rather more parochial view of Nigeria focusing more on regionalism while paying lip service to nationalism in order to derive ultimate benefit for his people.

I think Napoleon was more like BabaGida rather than GEJ

And youre probably right, but I saw what u saw in Herbert McCaulay I saw in Awolowo. Like I said: To each his own. I didnt ask anyone to take my analogy "as is". That was not my intention.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by EzeUchenna: 9:20pm On Mar 06, 2011
bk.babe97y:

And youre probably right, but I saw what u saw in Herbert McCaulay  I saw in Awolowo. Like I said: To each his own. I didnt ask anyone to take my analogy "as is". That was not my intention.

Maybe you should read about Herbert Macaulay. I am not going to insult you with this post, but Herbert Macaulay, was truly a Nationalist. He was a good Yoruba man who loved all Nigerians no matter where they hailed from. His protoge Nnamdi Azikiwe tried to take up his mantle.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by CrudeOil2(m): 9:26pm On Mar 06, 2011
I dont think this poster knows much about Nigeria.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by EkoIle1: 10:31pm On Mar 06, 2011
EzeUchenna:

Maybe you should read about Herbert Macaulay. I am not going to insult you with this post, but Herbert Macaulay, was truly a Nationalist. He was a good Yoruba man who loved all Nigerians no matter where they hailed from. His protoge Nnamdi Azikiwe tried to take up his mantle.

Unfoutunately for you and your bogus post, HM was not a coward and an incompetent forever second fiddle like Zik. Mantle ko, batton ni.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 10:51pm On Mar 06, 2011
EzeUchenna:

Because he is talking about Animal Farm? Way to set your standard low. Anyone who hasn't read Animal Farm should be slapped.

I would be more impressed if someone read[b] L'Étranger[/b] by Albert Camus and give me a critique of the novel. Even an in-depth analysis of Il Principe by Niccolo Machiavelli would be much appreciated.

Not this dribble of an analysis we have in this thread.

Would be a waste of time, but I'd love to bet youve NEVER read the books u quoted above!!!

Why do people like you and cap28 think u can bamboozle folks into thinking youre anything close to intelligent? You make me laugh!
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 10:55pm On Mar 06, 2011
elrony:

@bk.babe u can see the tribalistic rage ravin up in here, lol

talkin bout the hens as igbos, wats up wif the niger del??

i gat to admit dat GEJ is way too new in the system to be tagged napoleon,

where does Gen abacha stand

Wuts up with the Niger-Delta? Dude, Did You read the OP at all?

GEJ is too new to be tagged Napoleon? lol. I'd love to get your take on this in 2013 if you guys elect him as president. . . .

Gen.Abacha? My dear, I never set out to write the history of Nigeria. . . . .
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 11:10pm On Mar 06, 2011
MzD@rkSkin:

But all in all, I do not think it is wise to single out Nigeria as what happened in Libya, Egypt, Sudan and even Haiti is the result of mismanagement of funds, abuse of power and rebellion.

What da. . . . ?

Jesus! The Human Race really is in serious trouble. . . .
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by fstranger3(m): 11:15pm On Mar 06, 2011
bk.babe97y:

What da. . . . ?

Jesus! The Human Race really is in serious trouble. . . .

You've got time for her. grin

I didnt bother to read her post, I knew the content would be very silly.

She must have thought we were discussing romance and pull out (withdrawal) method of birth control. grin
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 11:29pm On Mar 06, 2011
fstranger3:

You've got time for her. grin

I didnt bother to read her post, I knew the content would be very silly.

She must have thought we were discussing romance and pull out (withdrawal) method of birth control. grin

Hhahahahahahah. ROFLMAO!

Meanwhile, I found that long lost tape Eko Ile always talked about him pounding EzeUche out when the was kids. Notice Eko-Ile's mohawk. . . . bad azzz nicca!

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/futuresport/201103/pint-sized-pin-machine-8-year-old-wrestling-champ
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by fstranger3(m): 11:40pm On Mar 06, 2011
^^^^

That was one bad arse video

The guy in mohawk would prolly kick my a-s-s too. grin
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 11:42pm On Mar 06, 2011
That kid is strong as fuxck! I have a lil cuzzo thats that strong too but nobody understands him so I'm really like "Big Pappy". Got him into wrestling too. . . . 8 yrs old too!
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Nobody: 11:49pm On Mar 06, 2011
LOL grin grin grin

That boy is amazing! With the mohawk, he looks like one little menace.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 11:53pm On Mar 06, 2011
Aigbofa:

LOL grin grin grin

That boy is amazing! With the mohawk, he looks like one little menace.

Id be scared if he was my child. One misuse of his strength and all ur achievements as a parent goes down the gutter. . . . . . .
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 12:01am On Mar 07, 2011
mrtidy:

You'd be shamelessly dumb to think this analysis is dumb even though there are mistakes is some areas its still GREAT, good job BK.

Thankx dude. Glad u found it interesting.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Kilode1: 12:41am On Mar 07, 2011
bk.babe97y:

Hhahahahahahah. ROFLMAO!

Meanwhile, I found that long lost tape Eko Ile always talked about him pounding EzeUche out when the was kids. Notice Eko-Ile's mohawk. . . . bad azzz nicca!

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/futuresport/201103/pint-sized-pin-machine-8-year-old-wrestling-champ

Hahaha Great video! That kid was raised right! did you see his foot work at 1:37mins? cheesy
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by ekubear1: 5:06am On Mar 07, 2011
That little kid is a badass.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 7:36am On Mar 07, 2011
On second thoughts this kid might take my lil cuz to the cleaners. . . .
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Tunsbobo(m): 7:43am On Mar 07, 2011
bk.babe97y:

Wuts up with the Niger-Delta? Dude, Did You read the OP at all?

GEJ is too new to be tagged Napoleon? lol. I'd love to get your take on this in 2013 if you guys elect him as president. . . .

Gen.Abacha? My dear, I never set out to write the history of Nigeria. . . . .
Gej new? You call someone who has been in this game called politics for more than 12 years, someone who has held political positions at both state and federal levels new? Gej might appear innocent to you, but trust me; he is not what he appears to be!!
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 7:48am On Mar 07, 2011
Tunsbobo:

Gej might appear innocent to you, but trust me; he is not what he appears to be!!

In due time they'll find out. Hopefully not tho. . . . .
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by geosegun(m): 8:12am On Mar 07, 2011
geosegun:

@bk.babe97y: I quiet agree with your anology but i have a question for you.

While you a have a coincise anology for the Hausas and the Ibos, i would like to know why you refused to analyse the part play by the yourubas (south westerners) in Nigeria? I think this is the bone of contention.

If you actually ommited it intentionally, then you are playing the tribal card. but if not let us know the reason.
I AM A YORUBA YOUNG MAN BUT DON'T TOLERATE AND NEITHER DO I BELIEVE IN TRIBALISM.

ONE NATION!!!!

I AM STILL FOR YOUR ANSWER ON THIS BK.BABE.97Y;
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by ekubear1: 9:40am On Mar 07, 2011
I think if you put a bit more time into this and were inclined, you could submit this as an editorial. Perhaps Next or Sahara Reporters. I'm not quite sure. Certainly a lot more thought went into this than 90%+ of the editorials you see in most Nigerian newspapers.

You've have to remove/tone down stuff which hurts Igbo feelings though. Maybe remove the hens.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

President Jonathan Receives Presidents Of Congo & Equatorial Guinea (photos) / Buhari Administration Is Constructing 524 Highway, Bridges Nationwide / Tinubu's Dedication To Calabar Sea Port Dredging (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.