Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,548 members, 7,819,942 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:10 AM

George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! (17722 Views)

Tears! Still Thinking About This Pretty Girl Facing Death Penalty In China. Pics / Buhari Denies Claims That He Has Plans To Islamize Nigeria When Elected / NIGERIA: When Will The Shedding Of Innocent Blood Stopped (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by 9ijaMan: 9:45am On Mar 07, 2011
eku_bear:

I think if you put a bit more time into this and were inclined, you could submit this as an editorial. Perhaps Next or Sahara Reporters. I'm not quite sure. Certainly a lot more thought went into this than 90%+ of the editorials you see in most Nigerian newspapers.

You've have to remove/tone down stuff which hurts Igbo feelings though. Maybe remove the hens.
And replace them with chickens! grin grin
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by klear(f): 3:23pm On Mar 07, 2011
Not bad at all grin dou u failed 2 point out wat d yorubas as a race contributes 2 d present day Nigeria. Datz neither hia nor dia bt IMO d Igbos r one hardworking race with a money making mentality so 2 compare dem 2 eida sheep or hens r undecided
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by fstranger3(m): 8:41pm On Mar 07, 2011
^^^^

BKbabe is an American. He doesnt speak gibberish. You'd prolly need to retype the crap you posted up there if you want him to give you a reply.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by OAM4J: 8:44pm On Mar 07, 2011
^^^ you'll never change, bad boi grin grin grin grin
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 9:13pm On Mar 07, 2011
fstranger3:

^^^^

BKbabe is an American. He doesnt speak gibberish. You'd prolly need to retype the crap you posted up there if you want him to give you a reply.

Lol. Nah, I'll give him an answer. Though I doubt it, I hope he'll be satisfied.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by bkbabe97y(m): 10:17pm On Mar 07, 2011
geosegun:

@bk.babe97y: I quiet agree with your anology but i have a question for you.

While you a have a coincise anology for the Hausas and the Ibos, i would like to know why you refused to analyse the part play by the yourubas (south westerners) in Nigeria? I think this is the bone of contention.

If you actually ommited it intentionally, then you are playing the tribal card. but if not let us know the reason.
I AM A YORUBA YOUNG MAN BUT DON'T TOLERATE AND NEITHER DO I BELIEVE IN TRIBALISM.

ONE NATION!!!!

fstranger3:

^^^^

BKbabe is an American. He doesnt speak gibberish.  You'd prolly need to retype the crap  you posted up there if you want him to give you a reply.

geosegun:

I AM STILL FOR YOUR ANSWER ON THIS BK.BABE.97Y;

I was actually gonna answer you earlier, but for some reason I kept skipping your post. Ok, lemme answer you as best as I can.

When I set out to equate Animal Farm to Nigerian society, one thing I made sure I did (to make sure the topic was taken seriously) was to make sure there was no iota of bias exhibited. I also tinged it with humor to make sure people did not take any of my characterizations to heart. i.e Eziachi and the Biafran Vets. If Beaf could not be characterized as Squealer, who could? Assume I had labelled Onlytruth as Squealer that would have been a obvious bias on my part wouldnt it ? Ibos would have been quick to say I was trying to demonize them. I view OnlyTruth as a tribalist, but, is he an unrepentant propagandaist like Beaf? Hell No! He'll tell his own lies (more than the average NLer) but he wont put in "Over-time" trying to choke us with his lies.

I described the Niger-Delta as the Cows; how is that wrong? I viewed the Ibos as the Hens; how is that wrong? Did you guys read my OP at all or are you just being like semi-illiterates like Chyz, cap28, EzeUche and co that are just running around screaming "He called us Hens! He referred to Ndibo as Hens! We're the Lions of Africa why didnt he refer to us as Lions or Tigers". . . . . . Ummmm. . . . .Maybe, cus there were no wild animals in the book?! And even if there were, despite the numerous chest-beating and attempts to convince others to the contrary, I doubt I'd be ascribing the title of "Lion" to the Ibos. . . . .

Notice that I did not assign any[b] SPECIFIC [/b]character to the Yorubas! For one, I did not see any character that suitably described them: without arousing the wrath of readers of other tribal groups (read: IBOS!). Being that they are known to be intellectuals I could easily have likened The Yorubas to "Minimus"----but I knew some *other groups (*IBOS) would still complain to the heavens. Besides, I honestly didnt feel Minimus fully described how I viewed the Yorubas.

So, what did I do? I likened them to, not only the Pigs, but also to the other animals; which is what they really are in the Nigerian context (at least in my opinon). Afterall, they can be found among the Elite and the common man. I know mo*rons like Ezeuche and Chyz's retort to my last statement would be "But, Ibos are also found among the Elite and common man. . . . ". But, HAVE THE YORUBAS EVER BEEN IN A SITUATION WHERE THEY REVOLTED, REFUSED TO GIVE UP THEIR "EGGS", GET BLOCKADED AND STARVED (BY THE REST OF THE COUNTRY, LED BY THE PIGS HAUSAS) UNTIL THEY STARTED GIVING UP THEIR EGGS AGAIN? NO? YES? So, in this instance who was I supposed to characterize as the "Hens", Hausas, Ibos or Yorubas?!

The Niger-Delta is being plundered daily. This is known news world-wide. If I had assigned the role of "Cows" to any other group other than the people of the Niger-Delta, how credible would the rest of my OP have looked? Or do you not know about the "Cows" as described in the book? Dude, dont tell me you havent even read the book. . . . .!

The truth is (and you can take this anyhow you feel): Ibos here on NL, and in real life, are more prone to complain about any and everything---more than any other group in Nigeria! Its so hard to satisfy them! Do not take this as me saying EVERY Ibo has this annoying attitude! No, not all, but if theres gonna be complaints (no matter how flimsy) about "marginalization"; 9/10 its gonna be an Ibo. And thats just the plain truth.

If I had described the Yorubas as the Hens or the Cows (which wouldnt have made sense, honestly) Ibos would have screamed blue-murder. They would have remembered the genocide they were forced to go through. They would have remembered that the rest of the country watched while they were killed and their lands plundered. They would have remembered that they were "starved" into giving up their revolt. They would would have remembered that they were "forced", against their wishes, back into the Union called Nigeria! Didnt the Hens face all of this (just like the Ibos)? Dude, read the book and let your imagination do the work!

Like I said, some people have just been genetically programmed to be averse to the truth; they'll turn it on its head in a heart beat! They'll whine about anything. Tell me, in your own opinion: WHAT ANIMAL/ANIMALS WOULD YOU HAVE DESCRIBED AS THE YORUBAS!?!?! Please, show me cause I dont see it!

Notice that YOU DO NOT SEE THE YORUBAS WHINING ABOUT NOT BEING ASSIGNED ANY CHARACTER, BUT YOU SEE THE IBOS WHINING ABOUT A CHARACTER THAT ACCURATELY DESCRIBES THEIR SITUATION!!! Notice also, that the usual Biafran Brigade (led by EzeUche) was quick to start the usual "Ibos better than Yoruba" comparisons that they are famously known for. . . . .

I can go on and on, but I'm pretty sure my message is clear.

Finally, again I ask you, IF YOU SEE ANY CHARACTER IN THE BOOK THAT EPITOMIZES THE YORUBAS PLEASE LEMME SEE IT CUS I DONT!!!
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by MaziUche0(m): 10:39pm On Mar 07, 2011
fstranger3:

^^^^

Bkbabe is Omo Yoruba. Do not deny him. He might be Americanized, but he is one of your people.

Since Bk.babe understands Ebonics, I am pretty sure pidgin should not be too hard.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by geosegun(m): 4:34am On Mar 08, 2011
bk.babe97y:

Lol. Nah, I'll give him an answer. Though I doubt it, I hope he'll be satisfied.
I'M COOL ABOUT THIS!!!!
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by geosegun(m): 4:38am On Mar 08, 2011
fstranger3:

^^^^

@Fstranger3: YOU TOO DE TALK. HA HA. Easy na. you are found of using the word crap.
Is it a crime to ask for clarity?. Grow up plssss!!
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by ekubear1: 7:05am On Mar 08, 2011
Pretty solid response justifying the Hens, imo. I'm surprised Uche and the rest didn't try to respond. Will be pretty difficult to do so, I reckon.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Chyz2: 7:17am On Mar 08, 2011
bk.babe97y:

I was actually gonna answer you earlier, but for some reason I kept skipping your post. Ok, lemme answer you as best as I can.

When I set out to equate Animal Farm to Nigerian society, one thing I made sure I did (to make sure the topic was taken seriously) was to make sure there was no iota of bias exhibited. I also tinged it with humor to make sure people did not take any of my characterizations to heart. i.e Eziachi and the Biafran Vets. If Beaf could not be characterized as Squealer, who could? Assume I had labelled Onlytruth as Squealer that would have been a obvious bias on my part wouldnt it ? Ibos would have been quick to say I was trying to demonize them. I view OnlyTruth as a tribalist, but, is he an unrepentant propagandaist like Beaf? Hell No! He'll tell his own lies (more than the average NLer) but he wont put in "Over-time" trying to choke us with his lies.

I described the Niger-Delta as the Cows; how is that wrong? I viewed the Ibos as the Hens; how is that wrong? Did you guys read my OP at all or are you just being like semi-illiterates like Chyz, cap28, EzeUche and co that are just running around screaming "He called us Hens! He referred to Ndibo as Hens! We're the Lions of Africa why didnt he refer to us as Lions or Tigers". . . . . . Ummmm. . . . .Maybe, cus there were no wild animals in the book?! And even if there were, despite the numerous chest-beating and attempts to convince others to the contrary, I doubt I'd be ascribing the title of "Lion" to the Ibos. . . . .

Notice that I did not assign any[b] SPECIFIC [/b]character to the Yorubas! For one, I did not see any character that suitably described them: without arousing the wrath of readers of other tribal groups (read: IBOS!). Being that they are known to be intellectuals I could easily have likened The Yorubas to "Minimus"----but I knew some *other groups (*IBOS) would still complain to the heavens. Besides, I honestly didnt feel Minimus fully described how I viewed the Yorubas.

So, what did I do? I likened them to, not only the Pigs, but also to the other animals; which is what they really are in the Nigerian context (at least in my opinon). Afterall, they can be found among the Elite and the common man. I know mo*rons like Ezeuche and Chyz's retort to my last statement would be "But, Ibos are also found among the Elite and common man. . . . ". But, HAVE THE YORUBAS EVER BEEN IN A SITUATION WHERE THEY REVOLTED, REFUSED TO GIVE UP THEIR "EGGS", GET BLOCKADED AND STARVED (BY THE REST OF THE COUNTRY, LED BY THE PIGS HAUSAS) UNTIL THEY STARTED GIVING UP THEIR EGGS AGAIN? NO? YES? So, in this instance who was I supposed to characterize as the "Hens", Hausas, Ibos or Yorubas?!

The Niger-Delta is being plundered daily. This is known news world-wide. If I had assigned the role of "Cows" to any other group other than the people of the Niger-Delta, how credible would the rest of my OP have looked? Or do you not know about the "Cows" as described in the book? Dude, dont tell me you havent even read the book. . . . .!

The truth is (and you can take this anyhow you feel): Ibos here on NL, and in real life, are more prone to complain about any and everything---more than any other group in Nigeria! Its so hard to satisfy them! Do not take this as me saying EVERY Ibo has this annoying attitude! No, not all, but if theres gonna be complaints (no matter how flimsy) about "marginalization"; 9/10 its gonna be an Ibo. And thats just the plain truth.

If I had described the Yorubas as the Hens or the Cows (which wouldnt have made sense, honestly) Ibos would have screamed blue-murder. They would have remembered the genocide they were forced to go through. They would have remembered that the rest of the country watched while they were killed and their lands plundered. They would have remembered that they were "starved" into giving up their revolt. They would would have remembered that they were "forced", against their wishes, back into the Union called Nigeria! Didnt the Hens face all of this (just like the Ibos)? Dude, read the book and let your imagination do the work!

Like I said, some people have just been genetically programmed to be averse to the truth; they'll turn it on its head in a heart beat! They'll whine about anything. Tell me, in your own opinion: WHAT ANIMAL/ANIMALS WOULD YOU HAVE DESCRIBED AS THE YORUBAS!?!?! Please, show me cause I dont see it!

Notice that YOU DO NOT SEE THE YORUBAS WHINING ABOUT NOT BEING ASSIGNED ANY CHARACTER, BUT YOU SEE THE IBOS WHINING ABOUT A CHARACTER THAT ACCURATELY DESCRIBES THEIR SITUATION!!! Notice also, that the usual Biafran Brigade (led by EzeUche) was quick to start the usual "Ibos better than Yoruba" comparisons that they are famously known for. . . . .

I can go on and on, but I'm pretty sure my message is clear.

Finally, again I ask you, IF YOU SEE ANY CHARACTER IN THE BOOK THAT EPITOMIZES THE YORUBAS PLEASE LEMME SEE IT CUS I DONT!!!

Since when did the Nigerian forces not consist of Igbos too? Since when where the people starved only Igbos? The whole Hen and Igbo comparison makes no sense,my eediot friend. Also, no mention of the Yorubas as a people,where they at nig? The Northerners occupied yorubaland and stay there and refused to leave, even after you all were begging them to remove their troops from your land. You were held captive in your own land. They did not leave until they said so and got what they wanted. Yet you see no need to add Yorubas to your screwed up waste of thought and energy.

Oh yea, and umm, I like the way that you are explaining yourself to prove a point to we Igbos. Must have to you a long time. Keep it up. If you impress us enough maybe will give you a get out of jail yorubaland free card. wink
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by ekubear1: 7:20am On Mar 08, 2011
^-- Not a good enough response. As if you didn't even read his post. Perhaps you need to call in a bigger gun to help you debunk.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Nobody: 7:26am On Mar 08, 2011
eku_bear:

^-- Not a good enough response. As if you didn't even read his post. Perhaps you need to call in a bigger gun to help you debunk.

What bigger gun? EzeUche?
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by ekubear1: 7:31am On Mar 08, 2011
^-- Good call. They don't really have anyone. Perhaps borrow the Edo man PhysicsHD? Maybe he can fight on their behalf. He seemed to think the analogy was bad earlier, w/o stating his reasons.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Chyz2: 7:39am On Mar 08, 2011
eku_bear:

Not good enough by whose terms,lol? You people are always trying to compete with us Igbos.Funny. What I stated was facts not nonsense like your brother typed up there. smiley wink
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by ekubear1: 7:41am On Mar 08, 2011
^-- Why would I bother to compete with my inferiors?  grin What is the point of that?

On a serious note, his argument was pretty well done. Yours imo was not. I try to say this without bias or favor.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Omenani(m): 7:42am On Mar 08, 2011
Chyz*:

Not good enough by whose terms,lol? You people are always trying to compete with us Igbos.Funny. What I stated was facts not nonsense like your brother typed up there. smiley wink

Igbos and the hen comparison is quite foolish. For the most part, Igbos after the defeat of Biafra have looked to the economy and not politics. Our region is not being exploited like other regions in Nigeria are. Our oil has not been tapped into, the coal minds of Enugu has been left dormant. The list is endless.

As most people have commented, it would be quite foolish to use such a simplistic analogy of George Orwell's Animal Farm to compare it with Nigeria.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Chyz2: 7:43am On Mar 08, 2011
eku_bear:

^-- Why would I bother to compete with my inferiors?  grin What is the point of that?

On a serious note, his argument was pretty well done. Yours imo was not. I try to say this without bias or favor.

Whether you're being bias or not akes no difference to me. I stated facts and it's as simple as that.  wink
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Nobody: 7:48am On Mar 08, 2011
Omenani:

Igbos and the hen comparison is quite foolish. For the most part, Igbos after the defeat of Biafra have looked to the economy and not politics. Our region is not being exploited like other regions in Nigeria are. Our oil has not been tapped into, the coal minds of Enugu has been left dormant. The list is endless.

As most people have commented, it would be quite foolish to use such a simplistic analogy of George Orwell's Animal Farm to compare it with Nigeria.

You are quite right. This is why I suggested the sheep should be more appropriate.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Chyz2: 7:51am On Mar 08, 2011
Omenani:

Gbam!
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Nobody: 7:54am On Mar 08, 2011
I can seize power in Nigeria today, start harassing ibos and still get very prominent ibos to sing my praises.

Very much like the sheep in the Animal Farm.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Omenani(m): 7:57am On Mar 08, 2011
Aigbofa:

I can seize power in Nigeria today, start harassing ibos and still get very prominent ibos to sing my praises.

Can you give us any examples in Nigerian history that would allow you to come to this conclusion?
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by henry101(m): 7:58am On Mar 08, 2011
Aigbofa:

Very much like the sheep in the Animal Farm.

I can seize power today and lock up all yoruba generals and have the Ooni of Ife saying is the will of God.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Nobody: 7:59am On Mar 08, 2011
Omenani:

Can you give us any examples in Nigerian history that would allow you to come to this conclusion?

Nzeribe supplying weapons to Nigeria to decimate Biafran forces.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Omenani(m): 8:01am On Mar 08, 2011
Aigbofa:

Nzeribe supplying weapons to Nigeria to decimate Biafran forces.

I never come across any evidence that would support your accusation about Nzeribe selling arms to the Nigerian military. If you can provide this "evidence," then do so, but if you cannot, I will advise you to not talk about things you do not know.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by ekubear1: 8:03am On Mar 08, 2011
henry101:

I can seize power today and lock up all yoruba generals and have the Ooni of Ife saying is the will of God.

Smh. Wish I could respond to that, but I cannot. That Ooni needs to be sacked and replaced. . .
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Nobody: 8:03am On Mar 08, 2011
Omenani:

I never come across any evidence that would support your accusation about Nzeribe selling arms to the Nigerian military. If you can provide this "evidence," then do so, but if you cannot, I will advise you to not talk about things you do not know.

Of course. Nzeribe will photocopy all his invoices for me to publish on Nairaland.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Chyz2: 8:03am On Mar 08, 2011
henry101:

ROFL! grin
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Omenani(m): 8:04am On Mar 08, 2011
henry101:

That was harsh my friend. Very harsh, but it is the truth.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Nobody: 8:06am On Mar 08, 2011
henry101:

Like ibos have ever done anything remotely similar to that in their entire history.
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by Omenani(m): 8:10am On Mar 08, 2011
Aigbofa:

Like ibos have ever done anything remotely similar to that in their entire history.

Can you substantiate your claim?
Re: George Orwell Must Have Been Thinking About Nigeria When He Wrote Animal Farm! by ekubear1: 8:11am On Mar 08, 2011
Aigbofa:

They came very very close after their coup. But of course. . . fcked it up due to incompetence. Nigerian history would have turned out far, far differently if they'd pulled it off.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

President Jonathan At the Investor’s Meeting After Discharge From Hospital / Avengers Warns NUPENG, PENGASSAN, Foreigners To Leave Oil Fields / Muiz Banire Paid N500,000 To A Judge - EFCC Agent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.