Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,008 members, 7,821,534 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:29 PM

Onitsha Begun With Migration Of Its People From Benin Kingdom - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Onitsha Begun With Migration Of Its People From Benin Kingdom (10215 Views)

Don’t Use Benin Kingdom To Catch Cruise – Kabaka Warns / Sorting Of Votes Has Begun (APC Presidential Primary) / Ize-Iyamu At The Palace Of The President Of Enigies In Benin Kingdom [Photos] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Onitsha Begun With Migration Of Its People From Benin Kingdom by Bkayyy: 11:22pm On Oct 08, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Lol... He don lose argument he's shifting goalposts... Typical Igbo strategy ...how many times did Ojukwu change capital

Nsukka, umuahia port Harcourt awka
LOL.
I see where this is going to, you just called the man your entire yoruba Bini Obas wish they were.
The guy being flogged below must be your Obas grandfather

Re: Onitsha Begun With Migration Of Its People From Benin Kingdom by Etinosa1234: 11:25pm On Oct 08, 2020
Bkayyy:

LOL.
I see where this is going to, you just called the man your entire yoruba Bini Obas wish they were.
The guy being flogged below must be your Obas grandfather

Stop trying so hard to be relevant... even ur brothers have left u coz they know u have no point
Re: Onitsha Begun With Migration Of Its People From Benin Kingdom by Bkayyy: 11:31pm On Oct 08, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Stop trying so hard to be relevant... even ur brothers have left u coz they know u have no point
Cry more

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Begun With Migration Of Its People From Benin Kingdom by Etinosa1234: 11:34pm On Oct 08, 2020
Bkayyy:

Cry more

U are so ignorant.. u don’t even know the origin of the picture

I’ll leave u to ur ignorance.. so that u can sleep well cheesy
Re: Onitsha Begun With Migration Of Its People From Benin Kingdom by Bkayyy: 11:36pm On Oct 08, 2020
Etinosa1234:

U are so ignorant.. u don’t even know the origin of the picture

I’ll leave u to ur ignorance.. so that u can sleep well cheesy
Lol, you want to bring up nairaland propaganda that it was from the eastern region?
Lol, we all know where it really came from. Even your DNA can feel the lashes being ditched to your fellow yoruba Bini man

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha Begun With Migration Of Its People From Benin Kingdom by Etinosa1234: 11:38pm On Oct 08, 2020
Bkayyy:

Lol, you want to bring up nairaland propaganda that it was from the eastern region?
Lol, we all know where it really came from. Even your DNA can feel the lashes being ditched to your fellow yoruba Bini man
I’ve already dealt with ur ignorance that there is nothing like Yoruba bini .. Even ur bro Julius.malem has accepted his fate and reasonably pulled out of the argument but u are still clutching to it like a dying man

Prove to me the source of this photo let’s start from there coz I’m sure u got it from this link

https://www.nairaland.com/4948045/history-pictures-facts-nigerian-civil
Re: Onitsha Begun With Migration Of Its People From Benin Kingdom by Bkayyy: 11:39pm On Oct 08, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Prove to me the source of this photo let’s start from there
And you think Nwa afọ Igbo will descend too low to do as you say?

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Begun With Migration Of Its People From Benin Kingdom by Etinosa1234: 11:44pm On Oct 08, 2020
Bkayyy:

And you think Nwa afọ Igbo will descend too low to do as you say?

Then nwa fufu Igbo will keep on rolling in ignorance

It’s like ignorance and illiteracy is in the Igbo gene
Re: Onitsha Begun With Migration Of Its People From Benin Kingdom by Bkayyy: 11:49pm On Oct 08, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Then nwa fufu Igbo will keep on rolling in ignorance

It’s like ignorance and illiteracy is in the Igbo gene
Being an Igbo is a privilege you can't get.
Even if you like claim to relate to the entire igboland like you are claiming to relate to Onitsha.
You can only be born an Igbo, dem no dey use shine eye get am.
Igbo Amaka!

Re: Onitsha Begun With Migration Of Its People From Benin Kingdom by jude79(m): 2:03pm On Oct 09, 2020
Yujin:

Have always wanted to know this. Onitsha is scattered all over Igboland.
What's the meaning of 'Owerre'?

owerri is back route
Re: Onitsha Begun With Migration Of Its People From Benin Kingdom by Yujin(m): 8:39am On Oct 10, 2020
jude79:

owerri is back route
Ok. It's usually said like this: 'na azu owere'. Clearly, that 'azu' shouldn't be there.
Re: Onitsha Begun With Migration Of Its People From Benin Kingdom by NairaHercules24: 5:30pm On Oct 31, 2020
stonemasonn:
I wonder why the Benin kingdom with all its influence, wealth and power failed to record the happenings within their kingdom and sphere of influence. They didn't establish universities, commission works of literature, or even sponsor expeditions for research and documentation purposes.

Though they tried to establish a gun factory.

Lol. The Portuguese taught them how to make guns.

They where only important for brass and copper.

They only lived in mud houses.

The only spectacular thing about the empire is that they built a mud wall around their mud houses.

Their only occupation was farming and sculpture.

These bini people love to overate their history.
Re: Onitsha Begun With Migration Of Its People From Benin Kingdom by Etrusen(m): 5:33pm On Oct 31, 2020
NairaHercules24:

Lol. The Portuguese taught them how to make guns.

They where only important for brass and copper.

They only lived in mud houses.

The only spectacular thing about the empire is that they built a mud wall around their mud houses.

Their only occupation was farming and sculpture.

These bini people love to overate their history.

what tribe are you ?
Re: Onitsha Begun With Migration Of Its People From Benin Kingdom by NairaHercules24: 5:45pm On Oct 31, 2020
Etrusen:

what tribe are you ?

Why e matter? undecided
Re: Onitsha Begun With Migration Of Its People From Benin Kingdom by NairaHercules24: 5:51pm On Oct 31, 2020
Etrusen:

I ask a question earlier that

since you think ezechime is from nri, then provide how he came to be from nri with both father and mother included

Why don’t you tell the full history of eze chima?

He was an aro priest that migrated to Benin to spread Odinani religion, as claimed by many scholars.

I don’t even believe he is existed sef. undecided

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Begun With Migration Of Its People From Benin Kingdom by Etrusen(m): 6:15pm On Oct 31, 2020
NairaHercules24:

Why e matter? undecided

don't worry I already know your tribe so discussing with people who have no effect when talking about history. Igbos were only affected by history and what they have is what history offer them.

#largewithoutworth
Re: Onitsha Begun With Migration Of Its People From Benin Kingdom by Ofunwa111: 6:45pm On Oct 31, 2020
Etrusen:

don't worry I already know your tribe so discussing with people who have no effect when talking about history. Igbos were only affected by history and what they have is what history offer them.

#largewithoutworth

Is it not funny when you Bini niggas say Onicha and its founders migrated from Benin, but when they ask you, was Eze Chima a Bini man or an Igbo man? Instead of answering the question, you guys begin to look for possible ways to change the name "Eze Chima". Why? Just know this today, He was an Igbo man living in Benin Kingdom.
Re: Onitsha Begun With Migration Of Its People From Benin Kingdom by Etrusen(m): 6:48pm On Oct 31, 2020
Ofunwa111:

Is it not funny when you Bini niggas say Onicha and its founders migrated from Benin, but when they ask you, was Eze Chima a Bini man or an Igbo man? Instead of answering the question, you guys begin to look for possible ways to change the name "Eze Chima". Why? Just know this today, He was an Igbo man living in Benin Kingdom.

#largewithoutworth
Re: Onitsha Begun With Migration Of Its People From Benin Kingdom by NairaHercules24: 8:03pm On Oct 31, 2020
Etrusen:

ME: Ezechime is from Benin

IGBOS : no he is not

ME: why do you say so?

IGBOS: because he is from nri .

ME: but zik and other from Onitsha say they are from Benin

IGBOS: zik is not old enough to tell the history because we have someone older

ME : who is that and what did he say?

IGBOS: Pa Jude ikeotuonye akpakoba but we don't have what he said

ME: then give me ezechime source to prove he is not from Benin?

IGBOS : no he is not.

#large without worth

I repeat

Igbos offered nothing to ancient history of Nigeria in pre_colonial era and these fellow arguing have nothing to offer to history

Igbo were affected by history and they never made any history .

Zik never said he was from Benin, he said that he descended from eze chima, and ever since then, you guys have been trying to like eze chima with Benin.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Begun With Migration Of Its People From Benin Kingdom by 9japride(m): 8:10pm On Oct 31, 2020
sarrki:

History of Onitsha

Bookmark and Share

By CHIKA ABANOBi (Last update 28/09/2017)

The history of Onitsha is said to have begun with the migration of its people from the Benin Empire towards the end of early part of the 16th century as a result of a wave of unrest, war and displacement unleashed by the Islamic movement from North Africa. One version said that it was during their passage through the outskirts of Ile-Ife that they acquired the name Onitsha, a corruption of Orisha Udo.

Another version has it that their migration to East of the Niger has to do with a misunderstanding that arose between the Onitsha family and Oba Esigie (1404-1550), following the slighting of their shrine, Udo, by the Oba. According to the legend, it was customary for newly installed Oba to pay homage to all important shrines in the Benin Kingdom by slaughtering a cow in the shrines enclave. But Oba Esigie is said to have refused to do this at the Onitsha people’s Udo-Shrine, hence the quarrel and the migration down towards the River Niger area and across it.

Ukpabi disagrees with the Oba Esigie angle and posits that the misunderstanding and migration was rather as a result of “a fight over a farmland. These other people fighting over farmland with the others and interest started coming. And because of interest, bitterness ensued and the two brothers decided to go their separate ways. One said, no, ‘I will now leave you, I’m going to Ado N’Idu.’ ‘Ado’ means border. ‘I will leave you and go and settle down on my own. I’m no longer going to be with you.’ That’s the issue. So, the two brothers had to separate.”

Onitsha, capital of Igbo Kingdom
The immigrant settlers from Benin were said to have been helped by the Igalas to cross the river to settle in Onitsha in the 16th century, which was originally called Ado N’Idu. It soon became the capital of an Igbo Kingdom. In 1857, British traders in palm oil established a permanent station in the city, and Christian missionaries soon followed, headed by Bishop Samuel Ajayi Crowther (a Yoruba) and Reverend John Taylor (an Igbo).
In 1884, Onitsha became part of a British protectorate. The British colonial government and Christian missionaries penetrated most of Igboland to set up their administration, schools and churches through the river port at Onitsha.

Historically, Onitsha became an important trading port for the Royal Niger Company in the mid-1850s. Following the abolition of slavery, trade in palm kernels and other cash crops boomed around this river port. Immigrants from the hinterland were drawn to the emerging boom town as did the British traders who settled there and coordinated the palm oil and cash crops trade.

Colonial relics and post-colonial architectural wonders
Areas bordering Old Market, New Market Roads, Upper Market Road, Modebe Avenue, Iboku, Old Cemetry, Old Hospital, Mbanugo St, Emejulu St, Obi Street, Benjamin St, Court, Enugu Road, Awka Road, Egerton, etc are known as Whitemen Quarters, so-called because the white colonial masters who first settled in Onitsha, used to live here. And, even till today, the white colonial style of buildings such as you see at Yaba, Ebute Metta and Central Lagos, can be seen existing, side by side, with the new, on these streets.

But much more modern exotic architectural wonders exist in places like the G.R.A and “33” Housing Estates. Sunday Sun understands that SCityGate Real Estate Ltd, located on Mike Ilodibe Crescent and which specializes in building ultra-modern architectural structures, makes such building wonders happen for interested clients. In 1965, a bridge was built across the Niger River to replace the ferry crossing. Today, plans are said to be underway to build the Second Niger Bridge.
Onitsha is made up of three groups of people, Ukpabi reveals. The first is the Edos, the Ezechima’s team. The second, Igalas. They were the people that were fishing at the Niger by the time Onitsha people came to settle there. The third, the Igbos who are very close to the Niger and had integrated with them. These three groups make up what is today known as Onitsha.”

“Their tradition is blended with the three peoples, first the Edos, second the Igalas”, Ukpabi says. “In fact, in the past, there were some villages in Onitsha that spoke Igala. And they are made up of two villages. They are still in Onitsha. Onitsha is made up of nine villages. Two out of the nine are purely the Igalas: Ogbodu and Obigboru. So, that is how Onitsha people came to be.

“The ones with Edo influence are the monarchy itself. That’s the Eze Chima, that is the ruling villages. They are four in number. Umueze Aroli, Okebunabu (which include Umudei and Ogbabu) and Olosi. The present Obi of Onitsha, Igwe Achebe is the 21st Obi of Onitsha.”
Inter-marriages, says Ukpabi, have long existed between the Igalas and the Edos. “The people our ancestors met fishing at the bank of the River Niger were purely Igallas. They were following the Niger all the way from their place to Onitsha. So, they don’t normally come to the upper land. They remain there. They have their buildings in their canoes. So, we attracted them into coming to the hinterland. We started intermarrying with them. One of the outstanding monarchs of Onitsha, Obi Eze Aroli, the mother, Enubi, is from Igala.”

https://www.edoworld.net/History_of_Onitsha.html
[color=#006600][/color]

Being under an empire doesn't not mean one share same tribe as the captors/rulers. If the Fulani eventually turn any middle belt state to their empire, will you then say those regions are of Fulani heritage?
Re: Onitsha Begun With Migration Of Its People From Benin Kingdom by Ofunwa111: 9:10pm On Oct 31, 2020
Etrusen:

#largewithoutworth

#smallandstillslaves

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha Begun With Migration Of Its People From Benin Kingdom by NairaHercules24: 11:20am On Nov 01, 2020
Etrusen:

#largewithoutworth

What are you even saying? undecided
Re: Onitsha Begun With Migration Of Its People From Benin Kingdom by Etrusen(m): 11:27am On Nov 01, 2020
NairaHercules24:

Zik never said he was from Benin, he said that he descended from eze chima, and ever since then, you guys have been trying to like eze chima with Benin.

these are zik words

She told me that we despised others because we descended from the Royal House of Benin and so regarded ourselves as the superiors of other tribes who had no royal blood in their veins, “
“I continued to belabor my grandmother to tell me more of the history and origins of the Onitsha people. She narrated that many many years ago, there lived at Idu (Benin) a great Oba who had many children. Due to a power struggle regarding the right of precedence among princes of the blood and other altercations, there was a civil war in Benin.

if you have another account by zik please bring it

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Begun With Migration Of Its People From Benin Kingdom by Emulsy: 11:32am On Nov 01, 2020
Etrusen:

these are zik words

She told me that we despised others because we descended from the Royal House of Benin and so regarded ourselves as the superiors of other tribes who had no royal blood in their veins, “
“I continued to belabor my grandmother to tell me more of the history and origins of the Onitsha people. She narrated that many many years ago, there lived at Idu (Benin) a great Oba who had many children. Due to a power struggle regarding the right of precedence among princes of the blood and other altercations, there was a civil war in Benin.

Interesting. This essentially confirms the thought that the royal lineages are of Igbo blood.
Re: Onitsha Begun With Migration Of Its People From Benin Kingdom by Etrusen(m): 5:12pm On Nov 01, 2020
Emulsy:

Interesting. This essentially confirms the thought that the royal lineages are of Igbo blood.

listen to your self

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Begun With Migration Of Its People From Benin Kingdom by NairaHercules24: 5:47pm On Nov 01, 2020
Etrusen:

these are zik words

Provide link make I read.
Re: Onitsha Begun With Migration Of Its People From Benin Kingdom by Etrusen(m): 5:54pm On Nov 01, 2020
Re: Onitsha Begun With Migration Of Its People From Benin Kingdom by OfoIgbo: 5:55pm On Nov 01, 2020
Etrusen:

I clearly told you that mother was an ibo woman

the name ezechime came to fame when he became king in the land of his mother tongue.

ezechime may have had an Edo name but the kingship name supersedes others

but if you think am wrong, please provide the history that link him to nri with both mother and father

What is Eze Chima's Bini name? Stop running from pillar to post. You already know his Igbo name. What is his Bini name?

Why did he and his descendants subject themselves to NRI coronation of Obis of Onitsha, up until 1960, if he was Bini?

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha Begun With Migration Of Its People From Benin Kingdom by Etrusen(m): 6:10pm On Nov 01, 2020
OfoIgbo:

What is Eze Chima's Bini name? Stop running from pillar to post. You already know his Igbo name. What is his Bini name?

Why did he and his descendants subject themselves to NRI coronation of Obis of Onitsha, up until 1960, if he was Bini?

Oga your talk tire me.

so you wan tell me say you old pass zik? wen talk say onitsha come from benin.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Begun With Migration Of Its People From Benin Kingdom by OfoIgbo: 6:19pm On Nov 01, 2020
Etrusen:

Oga your talk tire me.

so you wan tell me say you old pass zik? wen talk say onitsha come from benin.

I am an NRI man, the most ancient royal blood line that reigned over NRI and Igodomigodo.

Nris are also the bastion of Igbo, Benin and Igala cultural practices, which is why Bini people still use the Nri-owned market days/deities. So I do know way way way more about Igbo cultural practices than Nnamdi Azikiwe.

I even know way more about Igbo cultural practices than Obis of Onitsha or even the Eze Ani of the Isi Ani of Onitsha.

So what I'm writing here is far more authentic and accurate than Zik's
Re: Onitsha Begun With Migration Of Its People From Benin Kingdom by IDENNAA(m): 6:20pm On Nov 01, 2020
Etrusen:

these are zik words

And these people like quoting Zik because the tale suit their inferior complex. But when we ask them to explain how Onicha could be possibly Bini yet maintains 101% Igbo culture and identity without any single trace of Bini tradition they run...lmao

Sttupid Kingdom with nothing to show!

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Begun With Migration Of Its People From Benin Kingdom by Nobody: 6:23pm On Nov 01, 2020
SLAP44:
Another fictitious story fit only for the trash bin.

All Igbo spread from Nri

Don't mind them.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Car Conveying Family Of 4 Plunges Into River / Reasons Why The South-south And Igbos Want Nigeria separated And Why The Hausas And Yorubas dont / Fashola's First Term. Ambode Is Incompetent. Reasons And PICS.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.