Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,229 members, 7,822,188 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:07 AM

FG Blackmailing University Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Blackmailing University Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU (21152 Views)

ASUU-UNILAG Sanctions 240 Lectures For Enrolling On IPPIS (Full List) / Why FG Is Insisting On IPPIS – ASUU / IPPIS: ASUU Asks FG Why Staff Of CBN, NDIC, FIRS Are Not On The Payment System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Blackmailing University Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU by MT: 10:33am On Oct 12, 2020
edoairways:

The prof isn't far from the truth. For SSANU and NASU to warm up for strike,it shows that all is not well

Most times when you see Nigerians fighting vigorously against a course, know that loopholes for corruption are being blocked. FG should give ultimatum and advertise their positions if they fail to comply .
Re: FG Blackmailing University Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU by haryomikun(m): 10:38am On Oct 12, 2020
Next0:

Aboki and their backward reasoning!
People that value cows than human, what then is education
Don't quote me again if you don't have something reasonable to say
You’re dumb! Stop shouting about what you don’t know

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Blackmailing University Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU by Sondeo(m): 10:46am On Oct 12, 2020
ASUU and Federal Government issues will soon be end
Re: FG Blackmailing University Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU by MT: 10:56am On Oct 12, 2020
shadeyinka:

You claim IPPIS is to cure them of corruption. Why is it not the same treatment of NNPC and FIRS?

Food for thought!

Because they self generate their own revenue. Universities rely on handouts from the FG, so the FG has the right to determine how the payment will be made.He who plays the Piper dictates the tune. Maybe if you have had one scientific breakthrough that Nigeria can export to the world and generate hard currencies, maybe your case will be like that of the NNPC you mentioned.

1 Like

Re: FG Blackmailing University Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU by wordychap: 10:57am On Oct 12, 2020
I am a university worker- ssanu.
When the ippis notion came up, I vehemently supported it and got enrolled; how wrong I was.
From the first month of ippis payment, my salary has almost been halfed. Presently, my allowances are not paid me by ippis and you expect us to support such system?
I stand with ASUU. Scrap IPPIS!

1 Like

Re: FG Blackmailing University Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU by COMPAQ(m): 11:15am On Oct 12, 2020
fdigital:
But why is ASUU and lecturers afraid of transparency

Good question. Till now, I am not sure I have clearly heard from ASUU what they have against IPPIS that makes sense.
Re: FG Blackmailing University Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU by shadeyinka(m): 11:15am On Oct 12, 2020
9jatriot:
What is unfair about your employer using a system that blocks loopholes in paying you guys abeg?

Did you understand the firstbank analogy at all??

ASUU isn't saying no to accountability or any system that will ensure accountability!
ASUU is saying that the current IPPIS as it is need to be modified to take care of peculiarities of the university system.

Let me give you an instance.
I work in a government research institution. The procurement laws says that all government purchases ( in our case research equipment and materials) must be advertised for contractors to supply. Even though this is to encourage transparency, it didn't take care of peculiarities of research institutions. Contractor CANNOT and SHOULD NOT do the work for us and the work cannot be done without consumables which may not even be budgeted for. Unfortunately, this poses a bottle neck. If we have to change the research protocol within the midst of a work, we have to wait till the next budget year for the work to be done. This is a huge problem that may not apply when you want to suppy laptops, printers , vehicles etc BUT certsinly a problem when you have an unpredictable outcome from a job at hand.

In other words, there are peculiarities with different agencies. What works for the ministry may not work forth university.
Re: FG Blackmailing University Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU by shadeyinka(m): 11:21am On Oct 12, 2020
9jatriot:
endsars was justifiable, telling your employer how to pay you is not.
I just can't imagine firstbank staffs telling managment that they have developed a software that the bank should use to pay them otherwise they will not work. Can you ever imagine that happening?
Aren't the SARS doing their job?
Why should they be prevented from performing their duties?

Should everybody have kept quiet about the misbehaviors of SARS?
Would the government have proscribed SARS if not for this protest?

ASUU is saying that the government machinery (IPPIS) though good ( like SARS) is not suitable for their environment. Is that a bad voicing out of contrary opinion?

wordychap:
I am a university worker- ssanu.
When the ippis notion came up, I vehemently supported it and got enrolled; how wrong I was.
From the first month of ippis payment, my salary has almost been halfed. Presently, my allowances are not paid me by ippis and you expect us to support such system?
I stand with ASUU. Scrap IPPIS!
Re: FG Blackmailing University Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU by Incandescent(m): 11:24am On Oct 12, 2020
I have zero pity for Niherian lecturers in Nigerian universities.

Terrible and greedy lots.

Why are they afraid of transparency?
Re: FG Blackmailing University Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU by pek(m): 11:26am On Oct 12, 2020
bluefilm:
ASUU go and register for IPPIS and shut up.

You know you have lost this battle so no need seeking for ways to save your shameless face.

Many of your members have gone to Abuja to register after all the initial gra gra.

IPPIS is here to stay and there's little or nothing you can do about that.

Nonsense. grin grin grin
You are right. When hunger dealt with my uncle, he went to Abuja to register. This is a man who doesn't have any dime coming in apart from his salary.
Re: FG Blackmailing University Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU by 9jatriot(m): 11:28am On Oct 12, 2020
I understand this part very well and I know how bad it can be with the bureaucracy. I know this is for illustration purposes and not related to IPPIS, you want me to appreciate the peculiarities. I get that. I guess this has to do with TSA.

Now, even private sector have this problem, but do you know how it is solved? Each manager and even supervisors have a budget level they can approve for exigencies like this. Depending on the industry, some companies allow their manager have an approval level of 100k, another one (especially oil and gas) can give their manager an approval level of up to 10k USD. No problem without solution bros, rather than grand stand and say u will not join IPPIS, you can join and then begin to request for your peculiarities. Don't forget even the other organizations have their own peculiarities.

Look at hospitals for example, do you think that when they need syringe or reagents that their own peculiarities would not be captured? Government bad, government bad, when they at least try to do things right, lets us not be in a hurry to throw the baby with the bath water.
shadeyinka:

ASUU isn't saying no to accountability or any system that will ensure accountability!
ASUU is saying that the current IPPIS as it is need to be modified to take care of peculiarities of the university system.

Let me give you an instance.
I work in a government research institution. The procurement laws says that all government purchases ( in our case research equipment and materials) must be advertised for contractors to supply. Even though this is to encourage transparency, it didn't take care of peculiarities of research institutions. Contractor CANNOT and SHOULD NOT do the work for us and the work cannot be done without consumables which may not even be budgeted for. Unfortunately, this poses a bottle neck. If we have to change the research protocol within the midst of a work, we have to wait till the next budget year for the work to be done. This is a huge problem that may not apply when you want to suppy laptops, printers , vehicles etc BUT certsinly a problem when you have an unpredictable outcome from a job at hand.

In other words, there are peculiarities with different agencies. What works for the ministry may not work forth university.
Re: FG Blackmailing University Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU by rajiedreez: 11:28am On Oct 12, 2020
We've always been hearing a side of the story about this IPPIS-ASUU issue, at least those that enrolled for the program are not happy with their pay abi, let them come out with proof that they government doesn't mean well with the program. At least we saw proof of SARS brutality and everyone joined the protest , let's see proof of their small salaries maybe students and the general public won't support the struggle
Re: FG Blackmailing University Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU by shadeyinka(m): 11:31am On Oct 12, 2020
MT:

Because they self generate their own revenue. Universities rely on handouts from the FG, so the FG has the right to determine how the payment will be made. He who plays the Piper dictates the tune. Maybe if you have had one scientific breakthrough that Nigeria can export to the world and generate hard currencies, maybe your case will be like that of the NNPC you mentioned.

Really! Do they?
What does it mean to generate money?

How do they generate money?

You mean that even though statutorily and by government edict people GO AND PAY tax to FIRS means that they generating money?

NNPC had declared loss in the past 15 years and you call that generating money. How many oil well does NNPC have? Which of their subsidiaries are into prospecting for oil? Is the work not done by the multinationals like Mobil, Shell...

When a student comes into a UNIVERSITY with zero knowledge of Engineering, Medicine and Accounting and leaves after 4-5 years with enough knowledge to apply for employment: you call that no productivity?

Rephrase please!
Re: FG Blackmailing University Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU by 9jatriot(m): 11:34am On Oct 12, 2020
SARS were doing more than they were told to do, so the need to ask for their end.

ASUU members have been accused of sex for marks and blocking, hope you will not also complain when students hold protest and say EndASUU, as a matter of fact, if government want to be mischievous they can sponsor some people to list out all the atrocities of ASSU (believe me, they are many, even married women are not spared). You know if such a protest should hold, government will not even waste time to dismantle ASSU.

If IPPIS is not suitable, it can be tweaked to handle your peculiarities. Even hospital and military's have their own peculiarity, if everybody starts grand standing will there not be choas? In the private sector wen I de, employee non de tell employer how to pay am o, except say he don see another work.

shadeyinka:

Aren't the SARS doing their job?
Why should they be prevented from performing their duties?

Should everybody have kept quiet about the misbehaviors of SARS?
Would the government have proscribed SARS if not for this protest?

ASUU is saying that the government machinery (IPPIS) though good ( like SARS) is not suitable for their environment. Is that a bad voicing out of contrary opinion?

1 Like

Re: FG Blackmailing University Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU by 9jatriot(m): 11:35am On Oct 12, 2020
You clearly do not know how NNPC works? The comparism is baseless
shadeyinka:

Really! Do they?

You mean that even though statutorily and by government edict people GO AND PAY tax to FIRS means that they generating money?

NNPC had declared loss in the past 15 years and you call that generating money. How many oil well does NNPC have? Which of their subsidiaries are into prospecting for oil? Is the work not done by the multinationals like Mobil, Shell...

When a student comes into a UNIVERSITY with zero knowledge of Engineering, Medicine and Accounting and leaves after 4-5 years with enough knowledge to apply for employment: you call that no productivity?

Rephrase please!

1 Like

Re: FG Blackmailing University Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU by AIlahuAkbar: 11:35am On Oct 12, 2020
Juanmike:
If lecturing job no dey pay again, go find another work.betterstill go learn work.
lecturers go learn work with the kind ego wey them get wey long pass third mainland bridge
Re: FG Blackmailing University Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU by shadeyinka(m): 11:37am On Oct 12, 2020
9jatriot:
I understand this part very well and I know how bad it can be with the bureaucracy. I know this is for illustration purposes and not related to IPPIS, you want me to appreciate the peculiarities. I get that. I guess this has to do with TSA.

Now, even private sector have this problem, but do you know how it is solved? Each manager and even supervisors have a budget level they can approve for exigencies like this. Depending on the industry, some companies allow their manager have an approval level of 100k, another one (especially oil and gas) can give their manager an approval level of up to 10k USD. No problem without solution bros, rather than grand stand and say u will not join IPPIS, you can join and then begin to request for your peculiarities. Don't forget even the other organizations have their own peculiarities.

Look at hospitals for example, do you think that when they need syringe or reagents that their own peculiarities would not be captured? Government bad, government bad, when they at least try to do things right, lets us not be in a hurry to throw the baby with the bath water.
The method you have outlined above will work well for research organizations in Nigeria BUT who will champion the cause?
Government doesn't listen because we (government workers-research in particular) are necessary liabilities to them. But ASUU can talk and shout making them different to the rest of us government workers. The government know that they (ASUU) are not in the class of necessary liabilities like the rest of us. ASUU solves the problem of getting the youths off the street: this is the only power ASUU has over the government

Re: FG Blackmailing University Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU by mamato(f): 11:37am On Oct 12, 2020
#endasuu#
Re: FG Blackmailing University Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU by MT: 11:38am On Oct 12, 2020
shadeyinka:

Really! Do they?

Rephrase please!

This link will resolve some of your questions:

https://thewhistler.ng/ippis-why-cbn-nnpc-others-are-exempted-from-scheme-fg/

1 Like

Re: FG Blackmailing University Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU by na2016: 11:38am On Oct 12, 2020
Freestainworld:
The professor who said they are earning only 100k should show us the evidence, let's see between ASUU and federal government who's is lying.

Even if they are earning 100K which is NOT TRUE, this strike will not still increase their salary
Re: FG Blackmailing University Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU by shadeyinka(m): 11:39am On Oct 12, 2020
9jatriot:
What is unfair about your employer using a system that blocks loopholes in paying you guys abeg?

Did you understand the firstbank analogy at all??

ASUU is not against blocking loop holes of wastages and corruption. ASUU is saying that the IPISS as it is does not take care of peculiarities of the University system.
Any resonable government will listen and solve the problem instead of resorting to blackmail and intimidation
Re: FG Blackmailing University Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU by 9jatriot(m): 11:40am On Oct 12, 2020
Lol, na now I understand. ASUU is the proverbial monkey to pull the chestnut out of the fire, as a way of getting back at the government. Not pretty anyway.

As to who will champion it, it is the permanent secretary to the ministry of interiors I believe.

Why will anyone see research organizations as a liability? Strange.
shadeyinka:

The method you have outlined above will work well for research organizations in Nigeria BUT who will champion the cause?
Government doesn't listen because we (government workers-research in particular) are necessary liabilities to them. But ASUU can talk and shout making them different to the rest of us government workers. The government know that they (ASUU) are not in the class of necessary liabilities like the rest of us. ASUU solves the problem of getting the youths off the street: this is the only power ASUU has over the government

Re: FG Blackmailing University Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU by AIlahuAkbar: 11:41am On Oct 12, 2020
2by40ft:
We rear cows and tame pigs too, be careful.
savage grin grin
Re: FG Blackmailing University Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU by 9jatriot(m): 11:42am On Oct 12, 2020
ASUU is the one intimidating students, parents and government with their nonsense strike. I will take them serious the day they are bold enough to go on unpaid strike, not that you don't work and collect salary, that is stealing.
shadeyinka:

ASUU is not against blocking loop holes of wastages and corruption. ASUU is saying that the IPISS as it is does not take care of peculiarities of the University system.
Any resonable government will listen and solve the problem instead of resorting to blackmail and intimidation

1 Like

Re: FG Blackmailing University Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU by AIlahuAkbar: 11:44am On Oct 12, 2020
Puloc:

Bro let me tell u d truth, it is ASUU that is lying and using students mandate as bargaining chip for their selfish aims of controlling University payment system which favours the curruption of the system. bro reason am too our time don dey go. Abi we come Nigeria to com school forever? ASUU doesn't gv a Bleep about wat happens to the Nigerian students amidst all this fight but the are agitating for their pockets. U want the Nigerian goverment to honor the 2009 agreement but where can the get that kind of money now or even next year in a recession economy? bro reason am ASUU Should stop this incessant strikes while their kids are either abroad or in private schools. It is we the public school student that are getting delayed.
Pls let's trend #EndASUUstrikeNow.
I'm in my final year and due to the strike now I'll be 31 when I graduate and thus I won't be qualified for nysc again that's why I'm apoplectic
Re: FG Blackmailing University Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU by shadeyinka(m): 11:48am On Oct 12, 2020
9jatriot:
SARS were doing more than they were told to do, so the need to ask for their end.

ASUU members have been accused of sex for marks and blocking, hope you will not also complain when students hold protest and say EndASUU, as a matter of fact, if government want to be mischievous they can sponsor some people to list out all the atrocities of ASSU (believe me, they are many, even married women are not spared). You know if such a protest should hold, government will not even waste time to dismantle ASSU.

If IPPIS is not suitable, it can be tweaked to handle your peculiarities. Even hospital and military's have their own peculiarity, if everybody starts grand standing will there not be choas? In the private sector wen I de, employee non de tell employer how to pay am o, except say he don see another work.

Sex for marks do exist BUT you'll agree with me that it is a minority of staff that do that. But the issue is not about that. It is about an integrated payment structure that does NOT take care of the peculiarities of the university system and instead of the government listening ant RESOLVING the issue amicably, they are resorting to blackmail and intimidation.

ASSU is NOT saying NO to an Integrated Electronic Payment System to Check corruption and excesses. ASSU is concerned that the present IPPIS does not take care of their peculiarities :the case is not as complex as the FG is treating it.
Re: FG Blackmailing University Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU by 9jatriot(m): 11:52am On Oct 12, 2020
SARS can also argue that it is a minority of their staff who do all the things they have been alleged to do. So that argument is neither here nor there, the fact is it is wide spread.

The teaching Hospitals, military, police all have peculiarities right, whey did they not also go on strike. ASUU is the one blackmailing FG by striking over a simple issue. All these things are simple lines of codes and the whole thing will be captured, not all these grandstanding.

ASUU will get paid during this strike whereas the students benefit nothing at all.
shadeyinka:

Sex for marks do exist BUT you'll agree with me that it is a minority of staff that do that. But the issue is not about that. It is about an integrated payment structure that does NOT take care of the peculiarities of the university system and instead of the government listening ant RESOLVING the issue amicably, they are resorting to blackmail and intimidation.

ASSU is NOT saying NO to an Integrated Electronic Payment System to Check corruption and excesses. ASSU is concerned that the present IPPIS does not take care of their peculiarities :the case is not as complex as the FG is treating it.
Re: FG Blackmailing University Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU by shadeyinka(m): 11:54am On Oct 12, 2020
9jatriot:
Lol, na now I understand. ASUU is the proverbial monkey to pull the chestnut out of the fire, as a way of getting back at the government. Not pretty anyway.

As to who will champion it, it is the permanent secretary to the ministry of interiors I believe.

Why will anyone see research organizations as a liability? Strange.
But that is the truth.
In fact the FG seem not to care about any of her agencies or ministries except they are RELATED to MONEY Sourcing and Distribution.

There are some fundermental question that our government refuse to ask and get the answers and this actually betray that we prbably do not have a GOVERNMENT

How many Chemistry Graduates do we need in Nigeria and for what Purpose?
How many Linguistics Graduates do we need in Nigeria and for what Purpose?
How many Biology Graduates do we need in Nigeria and for what Purpose?
Re: FG Blackmailing University Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU by 9jatriot(m): 12:02pm On Oct 12, 2020
Without trying to sound disrespectful, if they are seeing you as liabilities, perhaps you guys have not being able to justify your budget. If there is no evidence over the years to make your organization relevant through innovative solutions then you really can't blame anyone. Institutes like NIFOR, CRIN among others for example, I am not sure I have felt their impact.

I do not understand your 3 questions though? Are you saying those courses are not relevant? I missed your point there.
shadeyinka:

But that is the truth.
In fact the FG seem not to care about any of her agencies or ministries except they are RELATED to MONEY Sourcing and Distribution.

There are some fundermental question that our government refuse to ask and get the answers and this actually betray that we prbably do not have a GOVERNMENT

How many Chemistry Graduates do we need in Nigeria and for what Purpose?
How many Linguistics Graduates do we need in Nigeria and for what Purpose?
How many Biology Graduates do we need in Nigeria and for what Purpose?
Re: FG Blackmailing University Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU by edoairways: 12:09pm On Oct 12, 2020
[quote author=MT post=94860312]

Most times when you see Nigerians fighting vigorously against a course, know that loopholes for corruption are being blocked. FG should give ultimatum and advertise their positions if they fail to comply . [/quote]
They would worsened things. There is some fishy about this scheme called IPPSIS
Re: FG Blackmailing University Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU by otokx(m): 12:13pm On Oct 12, 2020
edoairways:

The prof isn't far from the truth. For SSANU and NASU to warm up for strike,it shows that all is not well

All is well, apart from minimum wage arrears and earned allowance we have no problem with IPPIS.
Re: FG Blackmailing University Workers Into Enrolling On IPPIS –ASUU by otokx(m): 12:15pm On Oct 12, 2020
rajiedreez:
We've always been hearing a side of the story about this IPPIS-ASUU issue, at least those that enrolled for the program are not happy with their pay abi, let them come out with proof that they government doesn't mean well with the program. At least we saw proof of SARS brutality and everyone joined the protest , let's see proof of their small salaries maybe students and the general public won't support the struggle

seconded

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Lagos State University (LASU) Tuition Fee To Be Reduced / 500-L LASU Student Stabbed To Death, Police Use Teargas On Protesting Students / Nursing Students Admitted Into Nigerian Universities 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.