Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,504 members, 7,816,197 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:27 AM

American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC (13660 Views)

Can She Qualify For NYSC Exemption Certificate Or Must She Do NYSC? / Best Companies To Do Nysc With: / Is It Wise To Come Back To Do NYSC? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by fstranger3(m): 7:02pm On Mar 09, 2011
Inked_Nerd:

Oh, I remember asking my mom about doing NYSC not too long ago cheesy

You wanna come do it in my room?

I pay good you know grin
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by DisGuy: 7:11pm On Mar 09, 2011
martinosi:

Bro, i just saying that the poster should "think deeply" about this move
before they make it.

I just like to know why people who are born and raised abroad would do it.

manny4life:

If I might ask though, why do people have to do NYSC?

could be

Boredom
Change of lifestyle,
testing the grounds for future relocation
Gap year option
Older member of the family will tell you 'in case you get government job bla', I always wonder why they think everyone wants a government appointment in the future

Cheap Labour
Delay tactics by the inefficient govt
Work experience
it had a specific purpose when it was established
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by martinosi: 8:03pm On Mar 09, 2011
rockzy:

I'm a[b] foreign trained [/b]serving in abuja right now Batch C. Dont worry as long as you have your
*WAEC CERTIFICATE OR A REPLACEMENT
*YOUR DIPLOMA, thats Your Degree certificate. You are fine.
*OFCOURSE WITH YOUR NIGERIAN PASSPORT.
*AND YES U GET TO THE OPTION OF SERVING WHERE U WANA SERVE.

If U got any question hola

We are talking about  "BUTTA"
Nigerian Americans (Born and raised in America, ie Born then raised till the age of 18 years in the USA!!!

We are talking about Nigerian Americans like the Ibo Girl in the youtube clip below

[flash=200,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfNBbmUFvBw&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/flash]

NOW WOULD A NIGERIAN AMERICAN LIKE THE ONE IN THE YOUTUBE VID ABOVE  AFTER FINISHING FROM SAY
TEAXS  A & M WANT TO DO NYSC COME ON LETS BE REAL!!!
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by obowunmi(m): 8:17pm On Mar 09, 2011
manny4life:

If I might ask though, why do people have to do NYSC?

you don't have to, for young men, its a great avenue to get goood puhsssy. tongue

Otherwise, its also a way to know more about Nigeria and Nigerians ---- you can bribe ur way thru, you don't have to do it. It also depends on where you are posted, this determines a lot --- supposedly, its a requirement to get a "government job."
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by dayokanu(m): 8:34pm On Mar 09, 2011
She might want to know how Naija youths are sexually.
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by Nobody: 8:42pm On Mar 09, 2011
Nothing new about doing NYSC in Nigeria from the US, my sister and 2 of my cousins did the same. 2 of em stayed back because they got a good job in SHELL Petroleum.

But don't go showing off some American swag over there or you gonna have some safety problems. Again you need to work it out to do your NYSC in Abuja.
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by calculusx(m): 10:23pm On Mar 09, 2011
martinosi:

Just kind of curious why you want to do NYSC,

I believe your talents and Intellectual Acumen can be
channeled better in Nigeria througha different route
instead of NYSC,

What i am trying to state is that when going to help/assist
of serve nigeria, you better be in a financial position to do it!!!

Have you ever lived in Nigeria before?

I strongly suggest that you find/locate a fellow Nigerian
Born and raised in America like yourself and enquire wisely
about this decision that you desire to take. I am not trying
to discourage you, just think it through. The decision you are
about to make is no stroll through der park,

And what does your parents think of this move.?

Do you know you can't get some jobs in USA if you don't have your NYSC Certificate? I have a cousin who didn't serve his fatherland after she finished in UI and after 2 years of her stay in USA, She came to 9ja to serve, I also have a friend in Spain coming home to do the same thing this year too so i believe to an extent, NYSC is recognized Internationally, NYSC is fun and I thank GOD for NYSC bt if you serve in a remote area,,,,,you are on your own.
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by DisGuy: 10:46pm On Mar 09, 2011
NYSC is not recognised outside nigeria!! though some countries have similar programs

perhaps they have zero work experience
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by calculusx(m): 11:59pm On Mar 09, 2011
Dis Guy:

NYSC is not recognised outside nigeria!! though some countries have similar programs

perhaps they have zero work experience

Thank you for the Clarification. Probably International Students feel its important for them to do it and dats y most of them come home to do it. No place like home though,
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by lastpage: 1:00am On Mar 10, 2011
Its the law: You can NOT stand for ELECTIVE office or vie for any POLITICAL/GOVERNMENT appointment, if you had not participated in the NYSC program me. End of Story!

Whether the poster has the above in mind, is not my guess and not my wahala grin grin

BTW: Can that guy repeating the issue of "bribe, bribe-bribe" your way out of NYSC, be a little civil, at least! angry angry

This is an "online, open forum" an it is accessible to ANYONE, ANYWHERE in the whole wide world!
Why do you TAKE PRIDE (or ignorance!) in washing your dirty linen, so openly?

It is "careless talk" like this that make others face "issues" when they travel abroad, as long as you are a Nigerian! shocked
Pls, watch the blabbing. Mtchew
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by manny4life(m): 2:21am On Mar 10, 2011
calculusx:

Do you know you can't get some jobs in USA if you don't have your NYSC Certificate? I have a cousin who didn't serve his fatherland after she finished in UI and after 2 years of her stay in USA, She came to 9ja to serve,  I also have a friend in Spain coming home to do the same thing this year too so i believe to an extent, NYSC is recognized Internationally,  NYSC is fun and I thank GOD for NYSC bt if you serve in a remote area,,,,,you are on your own.

Please what kind of jobs are you referring to? Please don't tell me federal govt jobs because that would be incorrect. I don't think your friend really told you why she came back, flew more than 5,300 miles across the Atlantic to come home and do this NYSC and then fly back another 5,300 miles +. Please tell me what job is this because something isn't adding up here.
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by chocobunny(f): 2:40am On Mar 10, 2011
martinosi:

Just kind of curious why you want to do NYSC,

I believe your talents and Intellectual Acumen can be
channeled better in Nigeria througha different route
instead of NYSC,

What i am trying to state is that when going to help/assist
of serve nigeria, you better be in a financial position to do it!!!

Have you ever lived in Nigeria before?

I strongly suggest that you find/locate a fellow Nigerian
Born and raised in America like yourself and enquire wisely
about this decision that you desire to take. I am not trying
to discourage you, just think it through. The decision you are
about to make is no stroll through der park,

And what does your parents think of this move.?

pss:

Your passion to participate in NYSC is very impressive. I'm delighted to understand that you appreciate your culture and want to connet to your root. Brilliant!

Wow many comments. The answer is simple, I may relocate to Nigeria. I've not met the man i will marry as yet, but in the event he wants to go home, i am willing to go with him. Even if he does not want to move home, I plan on being a professor in the U.S., and I will have summers off to spend in Nigeria as I please. Long story short, you never know what will happen. I would just like to have it done "just in case." I didn't tell my parents yet, but I know my Dad at least would approve. I have spent time without my parents in Nigeria so they know I can survive on my own. I actually prefer my stays in Nigeria when they are not around.

As for "financial position" I will be fine.
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by chocobunny(f): 2:57am On Mar 10, 2011
Dis Guy:

could be

Boredom
Change of lifestyle,
testing the grounds for future relocation
Gap year option
Older member of the family will tell you 'in case you get government job bla', I always wonder why they think everyone wants a government appointment in the future

Cheap Labour
Delay tactics by the inefficient govt
Work experience
it had a specific purpose when it was established

Your 1st three reasons are pretty accurate. "Change of lifestyle" especially. And seriously, it wouldnt hurt AT ALL to find a husband, the yoruba guys here in the U.S are very unfortunate human beings. undecided

dayokanu:

She might want to know how Naija youths are sexually.
angry
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by dellnet: 5:52am On Mar 10, 2011
OP not discriminating against you but with your gender forget about NYSC and your reasons are unpatriotic.
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by chocobunny(f): 6:31am On Mar 10, 2011
dell_net:

OP not discriminating against you but with your gender forget about NYSC and your reasons are unpatriotic.

abeg just go. is it not "the next thing to do" if you think you may have some future in nigeria?? ive already said, i never know what will happen, but i dont want anyone to be able to turn me down for anything because i didnt do NYSC. i only said some subsequent reasons. thank you for not being helpful.
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by dayokanu(m): 6:46am On Mar 10, 2011
What did you major in in College and whats your age range?
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by dellnet: 7:06am On Mar 10, 2011
hey snowbunny or whatever your name is. if the 1st 3 reasons of your intent to go for NYSC is as accurate as posting #44 then think again. It is actually a military drill if the laws are followed, all corps are to stay in military barracks and you go out to serve the community from there if it warrants. This is just like a boot camp but in the name of serving the nation.
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by InkedNerd(f): 7:25am On Mar 10, 2011
fstranger3:

You wanna come do it in my room?

I pay good you know grin

lol, and what would I gain from doing it in your room? tongue
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by chocobunny(f): 8:34am On Mar 10, 2011
dell_net:

hey snowbunny or whatever your name is. if the 1st 3 reasons of your intent to go for NYSC is as accurate as posting #44 then think again. It is actually a military drill if the laws are followed, all corps are to stay in military barracks and you go out to serve the community from there if it warrants. This is just like a boot camp but in the name of serving the nation.

So you are that much of a fool that you couldnt read "choco" instead of "snow"?? Illiterate. Or was that your pathetic attempt to be funny. Try again dear. smiley I didnt say those were my "first" reasons, there are several reasons, and the first 3 that poster named are all a part of it. And WOW THAT WAS SO ENLIGHTENING! THANK YOU FOR TELLING ME THAT. (sarcasm in case you didnt catch) and now ill ignore your future posts. And for your information, I know what it is like to stay in a military camp and actually do grueling work, and I highly doubt it would be as tough as what I have done ALREADY.

Thank you everyone else!
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by chocobunny(f): 8:36am On Mar 10, 2011
dayokanu:

What did you major in in College and whats your age range?

Age Range 20-24, thats all you are going to get. Lol. These are very particular questions,
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by ENERGY21: 8:58am On Mar 10, 2011
Bros i advise u make u go do ur NTSC for libya, because e go dey useful 4u during n after election. tongue tongue
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by dayokanu(m): 9:02am On Mar 10, 2011
chocobunny:

Age Range 20-24, thats all you are going to get. Lol. These are very particular questions,

Maybe I might know you? Aint you in NY? Did you ever school in NYU or at Stern Business School? Whats your major?
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by chocobunny(f): 9:19am On Mar 10, 2011
dayokanu:

Maybe I might know you? Aint you in NY? Did you ever school in NYU or at Stern Business School? Whats your major?

Know me, I dont think so? But who are you? Isnt it better if we start from who you are
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by chocobunny(f): 9:26am On Mar 10, 2011
facebook!
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by dellnet: 9:39am On Mar 10, 2011
oh oh I get it I must be slow. I just hope you are a cute and good bunny. So long in your quest of finding a husband in NYSC camp via nairaland.
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by chocobunny(f): 9:46am On Mar 10, 2011
dell_net:

oh oh I get it I must be slow. I just hope you are a cute and good bunny. So long in your quest of finding a husband in NYSC camp via nairaland.

You are not serious. undecided

So long!
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by dellnet: 9:51am On Mar 10, 2011
Yes got you! lol
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by chocobunny(f): 9:55am On Mar 10, 2011
dell_net:

Yes got you! lol

*hisssss* lol. it was that your "husband thru NYSC via Nairaland" comment that i couldnt help but reply to.
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by dellnet: 10:05am On Mar 10, 2011
I think you should go coz you are young and humorous and as you said that is the next thing to do in the protocol of Nigerian qualification. But there is nothing fun in Nigeria anymore, the clubs are whacked, you only socialize within people you know, the whole country is "tout-ish" and rude I don't enjoy it anymore.
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by chocobunny(f): 10:09am On Mar 10, 2011
dell_net:

I think you should go coz you are young and humorous and as you said that is the next thing to do in the protocol of Nigerian qualification. But there is nothing fun in Nigeria anymore, the clubs are whacked, you only socialize within people you know, the whole country is "tout-ish" and rude I don't enjoy it anymore.

hmmm, thats unfortunate. ill be the first to say that long stays in nigeria can be not so fun. but i do enjoy when i am there. sorry you feel that way.
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by dellnet: 10:16am On Mar 10, 2011
are you the type of "traditional native person" or "stiletto glamorous" type of person
Re: American-born And Raised Nigerians Who Want To Do NYSC by chocobunny(f): 10:25am On Mar 10, 2011
dell_net:

are you the type of "traditional native person" or "stiletto glamorous" type of person

both. thats the serious answer. there are times when its good to wear trad and times when you should be stiletto glam. i like to do "trad glam". lol. ko easy but i try. cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Corps Member In Osun Commmissions Borehole In This Recession Period (see Photos) / Useful N.Y.S.C Terms And Definitions You Should Get Familiar With / Ebonyi State Corpers Batch B 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.